Page 15 of 275 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    A little common sense, a good eye and a paper template and a monkey could mount skis.

I think the blue loctite very sparingly is fine, but yes, check your gear (duh). And really I've only used slow set epoxy on inserts, hardmans blue is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    Second, question: is it still beneficial to countersink if you tap the screw hole, or is tapping alone sufficient? Thanks.
    No need to countersink. Especially for skis with a metal top sheet, that top sheet lends structural integrity to the ski. Leave as much intact as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    No need to countersink. Especially for skis with a metal top sheet, that top sheet lends structural integrity to the ski. Leave as much intact as possible.
    That's what I figure thanks. Also makes sense on the Loctite.

Anyone else with thoughts on using inserts or helicoil purely to strengthen the mount? I know Big Steve is in favor of helicoil. The CA idea is very interesting as well.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    this threads good
    For the past year ive been mounting for a primarly e comerce shop
    mounted more binders last year than a dozen years techin @ sillytude
    last cybermonday mounted from 8 in the morn till 2am
    we ran shifts all weeknd so shouldn't as clusterfucish today
    Sure anyone ought to be able to mount a pair of skis
    aint rockket science
    but like anything in life hell of a difference tween doing something once or twice or a few dozen, at your leiusure
    and being able to crank that shit out all day the next day......
    so if youve never mismounted a pair of skis it's not cause your all that good it's just that you aint been in a position where you do it enough to fuck up yet.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

thread is incomplete without this:

Play me some mountin' music

Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 12-09-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: better youtoobz

Just want to give props to everyone giving advice, templates and good vibes for those who mount their own fucking skis. Mounted up some Dukes (bought from a Mag) on Praxis 9D8's yesterday, went smooth. Gotta love this fucking place!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3213.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	954.8 KB 
ID:	145741

Fucking mounted my 186 Rens with SollyFit plates. Mounted my fucking Moment Tahoes last week, as well.
    So easy, a beater can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    ..so if youve never mismounted a pair of skis it's not cause your all that good it's just that you aint been in a position where you do it enough to fuck up yet.
    This is true. I've made a couple of mounting errors, but the great thing about doing it myself is it doesn't get hidden, and I can address and fix it myself.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Jesus smiles when you mount your own.

So far I've done 5 dynafit, 2 with inserts. 3 more waiting in the pattern.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

I just mounted my own fucking bindings, my wife's fucking bindings, and a friends fucking bindings.
    And they were all fiddly fucking tele bindings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131207_072249 (2).jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	146175

And I was working on a sleep deficit. And drinking rum. And, they all came out fine. Mostly.

Mount your own fucking skis so that you don't have to deal with the smug "delicate genius"...

While buying bindings:
    Shop Guy: do you need these mounted?
    Me: no, I'll do it myself.
    SG: I don't recommend that.
    Me: why not? (big mistake, should've kept my mouth shut)
    SG: because if you get them crooked they won't work right.
    Me: I won't get them crooked, I've done this before.

At this point, most people just chuckle and say good luck, but this guy wasn't going to let it go. He proceded to lecture me on how it isn't possible to do a good mount without a jig.

Me: Umm... I used to work in a shop, and we mounted (some) bindings without a jig, and they came out fine. Actually, better than fine because we were extra careful.

SG: What store was that, so I know never to go there.

Nice zinger comic book guy.

The irony is that I've seen lots of mistakes with jig mounts (jig crooked, mounted for wrong bsl, one pair closer to the tip than the other, dimples, etc) to the point where I don't even trust most stores not to fuck it up. Not to mention the ridiculous prices.

Did another 2 sets of skis w/inserts this weekend.

One set was the 1st time using bindings I had no template for so I made my own. To bring the difficulty scale up, they are jr skis and the bindings needed to have the max rear bsl adjustability as well, because my friend wanted to share the skis between two kids with different bsl's, so there was no room for a bsl screw up. Then just to challenge myself to the max, I added inserts which had to be filed down a bit.

^^^ nice!

Imagine what a shop would've charged you for that (if they'd even take the job).

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    ^^^ nice!

Imagine what a shop would've charged you for that (if they'd even take the job).
    Thanks. I didn't even want to ask!

A friend cooked up this idea that his 11 yr old girl and 9 yr old boy could share a set of powder skis using a non-demo set of Rossi Axium bindings he had. He also wanted to be able remove the bindings to transport them when he went out West. Unfortunately I couldn't convince him to put Speed Radicals on them too. Anyone make a Axiumfit plate?

Mounted my own fucking skis last week, hammerheads on some katanas and dynafits w inserts on my Lhasa POWs. Yeah
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

When installing helicoils for BF inserts, how does one proceed? Redrill, retap and install? If so, what size do you redrill for? Or, do you just retap the existing insert hole using the helicoil tap and continue on your way?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    When installing helicoils for BF inserts, how does one proceed? Redrill, retap and install? If so, what size do you redrill for? Or, do you just retap the existing insert hole using the helicoil tap and continue on your way?
    Just retap with the helicoil tap, install helicoil. Use lots of epoxy.

Sent from my VS840 4G using TGR Forums

Hey everyone thanks for the thread and all the information. I am getting ready to mount my first pair of solomon rocker^2 122 tonight. However, I can't find the recommended drill bit size on the top sheet or sidewall of the ski. Any recommendations? I found the template I need and have everything ready to go except I'm hesitant to know how deep or wide I should drill to.

Also, I don't have any epoxy or wood glue to put into the holes, is it necessary or can I use something as extreme as gorilla glue? I don't plan on removing the bindings anytime soon so it's more a curiosity or if I should use something less?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mkalynchuk View Post
    Hey everyone thanks for the thread and all the information. I am getting ready to mount my first pair of solomon rocker^2 122 tonight. However, I can't find the recommended drill bit size on the top sheet or sidewall of the ski. Any recommendations? I found the template I need and have everything ready to go except I'm hesitant to know how deep or wide I should drill to.

Also, I don't have any epoxy or wood glue to put into the holes, is it necessary or can I use something as extreme as gorilla glue? I don't plan on removing the bindings anytime soon so it's more a curiosity or if I should use something less?

Thanks!
    Oh my ... if you read the thread, you'd now that you need a 3.5mm bit with a proper depth collar or a step bit. Metal skis require a 4.1mm bit.

Could you use Gorilla Glue? Sure, you could, but I could also use candle wax to wax my skis. It doesn't make it a good idea. Gorilla Glue will get all foamy and expand somewhat and dries rather brittle. You don't want that. Proper binding glue, which is really a special wood glue, is what you want. Personally, I only use proper binding glue, but I'll others chime in on what might be appropriate in substitution.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    so if youve never mismounted a pair of skis it's not cause your all that good it's just that you aint been in a position where you do it enough to fuck up yet.
    I love this quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Oh my ... if you read the thread, you'd now that you need a 3.5mm bit with a proper depth collar or a step bit. Metal skis require a 4.1mm bit.

Could you use Gorilla Glue? Sure, you could, but I could also use candle wax to wax my skis. It doesn't make it a good idea. Gorilla Glue will get all foamy and expand somewhat and dries rather brittle. You don't want that. Proper binding glue, which is really a special wood glue, is what you want. Personally, I only use proper binding glue, but I'll others chime in on what might be appropriate in substitution.
    I have a set of bits with depth collars. I must have missed the width recommendations, it's probably not a huge deal about using any glue if I can do a slight tap of the holes? Is binding glue a necessity or recommendation?

Otherwise I might wait until I can run out tomorrow and grab something.

Mounted my own fucking Salomon STH14 drivers last week.

The mount came off without a hitch, and the paper Salomon template was perfect.
    Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Anyone know of a paper template for the new solly STH2 hole pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by mkalynchuk View Post
    I have a set of bits with depth collars. I must have missed the width recommendations, it's probably not a huge deal about using any glue if I can do a slight tap of the holes? Is binding glue a necessity or recommendation?

Otherwise I might wait until I can run out tomorrow and grab something.
    Your depth on either a 3.5 or 4.1 bit is going to 9.5mm. If your unsure, measure the depth of your binding screws. But nearly all skis and bindings call for a 9.5mm depth.

The glue is a recommendation as it is keeping your screws from backing out while sealing them to the skis and the core to prevent any water into the ski. Using Gorilla Glue is going to make for a mother-fucker if/when you ever want to back out your screws and keep your binding, but it's been down.

Many in this thread do tap their holes. On a metal ski, it's a requirement. For a wood ski, it's preference. I personally do not not as I want as much material displaced and therefore engaged and the screw shank for maximum hold. (that's what she said)