Page 110 of 275 FirstFirst ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 6863

Kastle FX85 mounting

I just got a set of Kastle FX85 (2017) for super cheap along with Tyrolia Attack2 13 bindings. There's a scary-looking sticker on the skis and I'm not sure how to proceed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190218_164211.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	270330

Here's the text for searchability:

"""
    This ski does not meet ISO 8364 standard!

For installation please regard following requirements: For drilling holes use drill bit with dimension 4.1mm x 7.5mm (Kastle art.no. EB004) and adequat screws with depth of insertion 6mm +- 0.5!

We recommend to use glue for the screws.
    """

Few questions here:
    1. This is a full wood ski, why are they recommending 4.1mm instead of 3.5/3.6mm? Is this because the bindings they require (their own branded stuff) have custom larger diameter screws? Any downsides to using a 3.5mm x 7.5mm bit?
    2. The Tyrolia Attack bindings have ~9mm screws. Is it safe to cut/sand them down to ~6mm? Seems awfully short and potentially affects tapability.
    3. Any recommendations on how to proceed? I'm planning on ordering a 4.1x7.5mm bit and sanding down the screws to be ~6mm protrusion.

Picture of the ~9mm screws coming out of a set of Tyrolia Attacks:

Name:	20190218_164907.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	900.6 KB 
ID:	270331

What ~6mm looks like on the ski where I'd mount the heel pieces. I'm not convinced using a ~9mm drill bit won't work.

Name:	20190218_165149.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	976.8 KB 
ID:	270332

Not sure why the pictures are rotated incorrectly but they seem to automatically rotate themselves when I upload.

Help would be greatly appreciated

4.1mm is likely for a mounting thru a re-enforcement plate on that thin ski.

Ie- the same binding screw works with either 3.6 or 4.1- the bindings/screws are not different for skis with/without metal, the 3.6 allows the threads to bite into the wood a bit better.

But you may still need to grind the screws down though if the ski is too thin.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Template!

Name:	IMG_20190218_2344342.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	270629Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190219_1634350.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	699.4 KB 
ID:	270630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190220_1449406.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	270631

Sadly no beer, as my first ski (not depicted) came out a tiny bit croocked (forgot to measure center of template, hence pic two - #measureeverything!) #wops By ski 5 and 6 (w108s) the method was perfected

The five others came out pretty well - template perfection and money saved! Sadly, due to shit fuck conditions these will not see use any time soon. Oh well

Sorry pic three is a bit on the blurry side

If you look at your 8.65mm projecting screws, you'll note that about 2mm is tapered, meaning there's no thread strength there. Filing/grinding off to 6.5mm ought to be fine as long as you don't get spinners and you use G-flex epoxy for extra insurance.

If you grind off the excess, make sure you tap, 'coz the tapered part that's missing helps to get by without a tap - to start the thread (at least with non-metal tops).

I don't know anything about the BMTs (not sure why they specify 4.1), but the above comments would apply to any ski.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by torn_acl View Post

What ~6mm looks like on the ski where I'd mount the heel pieces. I'm not convinced using a ~9mm drill bit won't work.

Name:	20190218_165149.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	976.8 KB 
ID:	270332

Not sure why the pictures are rotated incorrectly but they seem to automatically rotate themselves when I upload.

Help would be greatly appreciated
    This image looks like you are not measuring the full thickness of the ski, just from base to above sidewall. 6mm is pretty unusually thin for the middle of a performance, adult ski.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Picked up a pair of older manaslu’s to use as a lightweight beater setup. Going to mount verticals in the factory inserts. Come to find out, 4 of the toe insert have been plugged. Question is how should I go about mounting the toes? Drill out the plug completely or drill a pilot and epoxy the screws? With it being in the slu’s factor inserts, not exactly sure on best way to proceed...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rikamurf View Post
    Picked up a pair of older manaslu’s to use as a lightweight beater setup. Going to mount verticals in the factory inserts. Come to find out, 4 of the toe insert have been plugged. Question is how should I go about mounting the toes? Drill out the plug completely or drill a pilot and epoxy the screws? With it being in the slu’s factor inserts, not exactly sure on best way to proceed...]
    are you saying the plastic insert that Dynafit used is completely gone and the holes are filled with a wooden plug or is there just a plastic plug in the original hole of the insert OR ???
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Picked up a pair of older manaslu’s to use as a lightweight beater setup. Going to mount verticals in the factory inserts. Come to find out, 4 of the toe insert have been plugged. Question is how should I go about mounting the toes? Drill out the plug completely or drill a pilot and epoxy the screws? With it being in the slu’s factor inserts, not exactly sure on best way to proceed...

lets get a pic

Name:	Image1550723483.262131.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	270710

Will be using the forward most inserts that are the original plastic that has then been filled with a plastic plug.

Yeah I think I would pull those plugs out with a dry wall screw and try to reuse the holes, I would mount using slow set, leave to set for 24 hrs and see if they spin or not

this ski looks like its had a lot of binding mounts at least a vert (5hole) and a rad (4hole)

IME with dyna inserts my BSL (size 24) was too small to use only inserts so I had to drill into wood for some of the screws but another problem was that ski center is not marked so I didn't know where ski center was

so i checked a buddies ski who owned stokes with size 9 boots to see where his Boot center ended up and it appeared that the "made in Austria" writing on the top sheet lined up with his boot center

SO I made the assumption that was the ski center

at least on the stokes

Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    Can anyone explain the markings on the sidewall of these old straight Volkls?
    Seems like they are recommending mounting within this zone. Why the wide range?
    The distance between 1 and 12 is about 4cm.

Hmmm.Attachment 268932
    I am late to the party but nothing better than a german native speaker to tell you it says Midsole next to all the marks. I think maybe there a several as they wanted to have the toe in the same place independent of the sole length.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    I am late to the party.
    Yep
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Pretty much Volkl and K2.
    Volkl had the schuspitze(boot toe)
    K2 had #'s that corresponded to bsl, which is what the schuhmitte(boot center)on these Volkls appear to be as well, which is a midsole line.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Generally in this era, skis had a toe line marking and then you just mounted the heel to appropriate BSL. There usually was no midsole indicator.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Pretty much Volkl and K2.
    Volkl had the schuspitze(boot toe)
    K2 had #'s that corresponded to bsl, which is what the schuhmitte(boot center)on these Volkls appear to be as well, which is a midsole line.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    'Boot Toe' is in fact printed on the base so I'll start there.
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

Name:	Image1550723483.262131.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	270710

Will be using the forward most inserts that are the original plastic that has then been filled with a plastic plug.

edit: that silver stuff looks like JB weld 2 part epoxy which will probably stick in the hole, if you need to use those holes I think I would start by drilling a small pilot hole in the very middle

I mounted some Ions paired to moment meridian tours tonight. Used this template http://www.slidewright.com/Bindings/G3_ION_Template.pdf
    I learned that the bsl chart on this can vary based on boot. My vulcans necessitated mounting the template rearward 5mm to allow for boot midsole to line up with recommended mount for this ski. No biggie and glad i have gotten used to double and triple checking everything. Finally switched to g flex for epoxy. Perfect and bomber mount. Cant wait to ski.

Name:	57257976206__F2E33CC2-DF7F-4A16-896D-FF71EBF4DE17.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	270982
    Last edited by roverdoc; 02-22-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roverdoc View Post
    I mounted some Ions paired to moment meridian tours tonight. Used this template http://www.slidewright.com/Bindings/G3_ION_Template.pdf
    I learned that the bsl chart on this can vary based on boot. My vulcans necessitated mounting the template rearward 5mm to allow for boot midsole to line up with recommended mount for this ski. No biggie and glad i have gotten used to double and triple checking everything. Finally switched to g flex for epoxy. Perfect and bomber mount. Cant wait to ski.

Those look great. I use Alpineord’s template for Ions too, and it’s worth noting/reinforcing that the bsl markings are only ballpark, so the diligent MYOFSer will double check or test mount for sole length.

Those are fuckin HAWT
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Nice looking floors. What is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I think it's good practice to attach the toes to the boots then align the toe piece over the toe holes to see where the BSC hits on this (and any) template. Then adjust the template relative to mounting line as necessary. The ION heels have, IIRC, 25mm adjustment range which gives you flexibility as to where to mount them within their adjustment range.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I think waht happens a lot is some dentist downloads a template, doesnt check for correct size from the printer, tapes it to the ski and and drills all the holes before checking anything

measure thrice, drill once and check between drilling ... its easier to fix half a fuckup

In the past 3 weeks I have mounted a pair of Shifts and 2 pairs of Marker Tours. The Shifts were pretty straightforward but I definitely mounted them to a 2X4 to practice. I've probably done 20+ Marker mounts. Feel like I can start drinking beer as soon as I have the centerline marked when doing those.

If anyone needs a Tyrolia Ambition template, I found this on Pugski. Haven't tried it yet but it looks to be straight from Tyrolia's template. Also posted the link in the Templates thread.
    https://www.pugski.com/threads/tyrol...-advice.10545/

Thanks Terry. That is what i ended up doing and how i realized there was a discrepancy. Slid the template back and voila. mounted toes and then adjusted rear template to be in middle of adjustability. First time the paper template wasn't within a couple of mm for me. Always good to check. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    I think it's good practice to attach the toes to the boots then align the toe piece over the toe holes to see where the BSC hits on this (and any) template. Then adjust the template relative to mounting line as necessary. The ION heels have, IIRC, 25mm adjustment range which gives you flexibility as to where to mount them within their adjustment range.

2/3 of the way through putting inserts for Beast14/Radical 2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    2/3 of the way through putting inserts for Beast14/Radical 2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Looking good

The inserts turned out better than the previous sets. I think I am close to having my process dialed and knowing how to clean up the epoxy.

I also much prefer putting inserts into DPS skis over the Salomon MTN explore 95s and the Volkl BMT 94s that I did previously. Construction seems to be much more solid.

Seth