Page 128 of 140 FirstFirst ... 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 3485
    Iíd insert a single screw w that much force on it....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Taking the leap to ruin--er, I mean "insert"--my own effing skis. For STH2. Skis to be done:

1. Dynastar Powertrack, will use existing holes.
    2. Line Sick Day, new holes
    3. Liberty Origin, new holes

For 2 & 3 plan to use STH2 template from muggydude here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...45#post4970045

Will do the requesite practice jobs on a 2x4. Measure thrice, drill once.

Items gathered:

• From Binding Freedom:
      • Inserts
      • Drill Guide Block - Self Centering
      • Insert installation tool
      • Pozi-Flathead M5 screws, 12mm for heels
      • 72 hour Epoxy
      • Vibra-Tite

• Locally:
      • Center punch
      • Tap Handle
      • F type drill bit
      • 5/16-18 bottoming tap
      • Clamps for holding both skis and guide block in place

Questions:
    1. What essentials am I missing for inserts besides 20mm screws for toes?
    2. Do we have a source of the Smallhead M5, 20mm screws that Binding Freedom doesn't sell? I found a couple types of M5, 20mm screws locally. But as with others what I've found is the heads are too big to slide through the wings on the STH2 toes. Fallback is to try and grind down the heads of local sourcing. **EDIT** maybe this looks promising. https://www.mcmaster.com/94017a312
    3. For toe screws mentioned above, are we looking for thread length 20mm like on the pan head below, or total length 20mm like on the flat head below? Any comments on suitability of either of these screws is appreciated. Eyeball tells me it's thread length 20 mm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M5 20mm screws.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	306066
    Last edited by dgilligan02; 12-13-2019 at 06:42 PM.

check out slidewright for fasteners if you're missing some
    terry also has some good install info there too
    https://www.slidewright.com/stainles...-installation/

also, consider doing practice install on 1/2" cabinet plywood -- practice not bottoming out

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    check out slidewright for fasteners if you're missing some
    terry also has some good install info there too
    https://www.slidewright.com/stainles...-installation/

also, consider doing practice install on 1/2" cabinet plywood -- practice not bottoming out
    Unless Iím reading it wrong Slidewright doesnít have the 20mm smallheads or flatheads, either.

Thanks for the tip on the 1/2 inch test material, good idea. Iím thinking about using a drill stop collar too.

Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    I got a spinner * * * this is a fairly heavily loaded screw. Should I pull this out and insert it?
    I'd helicoil it

Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    Will I die?
    Yes, of course

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    Unless I’m reading it wrong Slidewright doesn’t have the 20mm smallheads or flatheads, either.
    i didn't check those specifically...sorry bout that...

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    Unless I’m reading it wrong Slidewright doesn’t have the 20mm smallheads or flatheads, either. Thanks for the tip on the 1/2 inch test material, good idea. I’m thinking about using a drill stop collar too.
    We have some 18mm smallheads left. Are you sure about the needed screw length?

We also have a bunch of misc ss machine screws laying around I could dig through for longer flat heads (and several other heads) you could grind and cut to length if needed I'd just give you. Phillips and 4mm hex IIRC.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Bike Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR
    BIKE TOOL BLOW OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    We have some 18mm smallheads left. Are you sure about the needed screw length?

We also have a bunch of misc ss machine screws laying around I could dig through for longer flat heads (and several other heads) you could grind and cut to length if needed I'd just give you. Phillips and 4mm hex IIRC.
    Very kind offer! Both sources Iíve found are consistent on 20mm for STH2...but if anybody can confirm 18mm works that would be welcome news.

Name:	IMG_2371.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	240.3 KB 
ID:	306104

Name:	IMG_2372.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	267.6 KB 
ID:	306105

20 mm works like a charm, 18 would only hang on a coupla threads, I'd stay away from those.

Get a small piece of plastic (or aluminum) tubing with a relatively thick wall and tap the M5 thread. Thread the flat head all the way into the tubing, chuck it up in a drill and use the drill to spin the screw while you grind the head on grinding wheel. It works quickly and efficiently to make a nice round head for the size you need. I used to make my small head screws on a lathe, but used the above method last year for some S900's that I put onto some screws inserted for STH.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    Get a small piece of plastic (or aluminum) tubing with a relatively thick wall and tap the M5 thread. Thread the flat head all the way into the tubing, chuck it up in a drill and use the drill to spin the screw while you grind the head on grinding wheel. It works quickly and efficiently to make a nice round head for the size you need. I used to make my small head screws on a lathe, but used the above method last year for some S900's that I put onto some screws inserted for STH.
    I was doing this the other night with an insert chucked into the drill.

Works great

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    whats goin on
    just checkin in
    youse are crushing it
    but.....
    me and my crew have mounted more skis than this long ass thread has replies
    since black Friday

and throw in a hundred phantom waxes to boot
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

Fkna SFB! That crew deserves a beer or 30.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    whats goin on

me and my crew have mounted more skis than this long ass thread has replies
    since black Friday
    yeah but how many root canals have you done ?

how many mounts per tech per shift ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    For touring mounts, I remove and wipe the screw after the epoxy sets but before cure, which allows a clean screw to be extracted without heat. I do that because I want the ability to remove and reuse a clean screw if there's an issue in the field.
    Good idea, but maybe put a tiny dab of Gorilla Glue on the screw when threading it back into your epoxy "threads" to reseal it from water intrusion?

Re: marker schizo 14

Is it correct that there is no AFD height adjustment?

Mounted my 4th pair today, and had my first casualty. Beware getting fingers caught in Pivots. I'll be sans a fingernail in a couple weeks, I'm afraid. Had to drill it to let the blood out last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Mounted my 4th pair today, and had my first casualty. Beware getting fingers caught in Pivots. I'll be sans a fingernail in a couple weeks, I'm afraid. Had to drill it to let the blood out last night.
    Dildo snapped up and caught it against the wire bail that holds the heel up? I've done that before when adjusting Pivots with a bit too much bourbon in me.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Dildo snapped up and caught it against the wire bail that holds the heel up? I've done that before when adjusting Pivots with a bit too much bourbon in me.
    Yup exactly. Alcohol may have been involved. Just another sacrifice to Ullr

Same... Glad I'm not the only one. Lost the whole nail

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Same... Glad I'm not the only one. Lost the whole nail

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk
    I only got two bruised knuckles last week...

I got two fingers caught just past the last knuckle in an unmounted pivot last week and with only one available hand, had to pretty much just pull them out millimeter by millimeter. Tops of fingers are still a little numb. Was fiddling with brake arms a couple days ago and had another unmounted pivot snap closed on the meat of my right index finger hard enough to draw blood. While mounting a pivot today, the steel baseplate blew off and all the guts spilled out. Narrowly missed getting nailed by the spring as it shot out of the brake. Tis the season, I guess. I hope Iíve learned my lesson at this point.

First time mounted here. Iím getting tired of paying for mounts and the inconvenience of finding a shop that had the jig. Iím also traveling through Morocco, will be going home to 2-3 days to get a pair of sticks mounted before going back to school.

Iím mounting up a pair of G3 Empire Carbon 115s with Dynafit Beast 14 bindings.... Iíve looked through this thread and gotten a general idea of what Iím going to need, but can someone give me some more specifics?

Iíve got a good cordless drill, can find a paper template, but want to know which drill bit size I should use, which epoxy/glue to keep the screws in, where to find a center tap, etc... I will probably keep mounting skis once I get the feel for it so I donít mind the investment.

Thanks team! Just a young gun trying to get away from Epic Mountain Gear and Evo...

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    First time mounted here. Iím getting tired of paying for mounts and the inconvenience of finding a shop that had the jig. Iím also traveling through Morocco, will be going home to 2-3 days to get a pair of sticks mounted before going back to school.

Iím mounting up a pair of G3 Empire Carbon 115s with Dynafit Beast 14 bindings.... Iíve looked through this thread and gotten a general idea of what Iím going to need, but can someone give me some more specifics?

Iíve got a good cordless drill, can find a paper template, but want to know which drill bit size I should use, which epoxy/glue to keep the screws in, where to find a center tap, etc... I will probably keep mounting skis once I get the feel for it so I donít mind the investment.

Thanks team! Just a young gun trying to get away from Epic Mountain Gear and Evo...
    I went from zero to hero on bindings this year from the info here and talking to a buddy that is a long time ski tech. My take is get the real drill bit like wintersteiger. Worth it to not drill through your skis and then cleans up the holes. Get a good metal ruler, metric makes it easier. Tape and sharpy and long ruler.
    For glue people debate this but agree on using something rather than nothing. I have used wood glue then got some roo glue.
    You don't need a center punch. I used a nail. Center punch better.
    Finally for my first mount I first mounted on a scrap lumber. Clicked my boot in and felt like I did it right so I could drill skis.
    Just be careful. Mark the ski and then rest the bindings on there and look at it before drilling.
    If you don't have prior mount holes to work around, it's really easy.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

What do you think about reusing old holes that have been plugged? Used skis for my kid 123 line snow angel. Looks like the toe was moved back at some point. Want to put it back in plugged holes. Just drill out the plugs and screw it in with roo glue?
    And I realize don't go so deep. 7.5 mm says on the ski

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jhyatt; 12-16-2019 at 08:26 AM.