Page 86 of 275 FirstFirst ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 6863
    Finished GF's new all purpose hill/pow/touring rig, a 166 Liberty Genisis demo ski, she got it without the bindings for only 200$

I had a minor hole conflict so decided to mount 1 cm ahead of the standard line ( the marked standard line for boot center is 5 cms behind the marked center line ) on what is a pretty wide 116mm powski for quicker turns, I measured from tail and the top sheet marks were in the same spot.

Epoxied BBQ skewers into the holes, break all the rules by not using a template just layout on painters tape with tape measure & T-square, drill without a special bit using the wine cork stop, mount the screws with 2 part, remove the brakes and re-shape the arms in a vise to fit the wider ski, the mount seems to have turned out perfect but it took a long time

I have 2 pair of long G3 alpinist skins cut W2W for a 190 Lotus 120, so I repurposed the oldest pair, I decided the best way to resize was to cut the tip hooks off and make some oldschool tip loops out of SS cable SO I cut the hooks off and folded over 4" of skin which puts the tail clip on the 2nd hole on the leash which still leaves a whole bunch of leash ... the right choice

Someone asked how W2W is the skin gona fit on the profile of the Genesis, since the 120 is a pintail the skin seems to fit the 116mm Genisis pretty much perfect with no trimming and I think the skin could still be used on the 190 certainly on the 185 so this skin can still be used on many skis and it only cost me the 3$ for some SS cable clamps

The Genesis took GF's green or blue groomers-only skiing up a level into trees/bumps/pow, she had a chance to compare it to the neighbors DPS Yvette and she finds this ski eaiser more fun, Liberty isnt doing the Genesis next year so this ski will probably be around on closeout if your partner wants an easy going powski for low to mid speed turns ...recommended
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	genisis1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	933.5 KB 
ID:	232686  
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Couple questions- I'm trying to mount up these Sportiva GTs and have run into a couple issues I havent' seen before.
    1- Is the arrow the boot center mounting line? I've mounted a few of my own fucking skis and have always had a clear line or something like that. I think this small arrow is correct, am I right?

2- It specifically says 3.5 on the ski which to me means a 3.5x7 bit. I only have a 3.6x9 bit....any solutions? Just don't push down all the way? Or am I gonna fuck up and put a hole all the way through these skis? Thanks for the help, will definitely post finished pics!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4801.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	765.3 KB 
ID:	232801
    It sucks to suck.

1. that does look like the center mark but maybe someone else knows more about sportiva

2. No doubt you are a nice person but I still wouldn't trust you to not push down all the way, can you put a washer on the bit so it cant go down all the way? I don't trust set screwed drill collars or using ductape for a stop mark so thats why I put the wine bottle cork on a regular drill bit for a drillstop

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    2. No doubt you are a nice person but I still wouldn't trust you to not push down all the way, can you put a washer on the bit so it cant go down all the way? I don't trust set screwed drill collars or using ductape for a stop mark so thats why I put the wine bottle cork on a regular drill bit for a drillstop
    My only worry is that the 3.5mm bit spec is because the core is particularly "wimpy" and they want a bit more material to give extra hold - thus the 3.5mm spec on the top-sheet. However, 0.1mm is really only about 4/1000's of an inch.

I honestly find it had to believe that 4-thousandths is likely to result in much difference in pull-out strength. [A sheet of paper is 4/1000"] Were it me, I'd use epoxy + 3.6mm bit and that would almost certainly exceed any difference.

The closest alternatives to 3.5mm would be:
    9/64th's [Nearly 3.6mm - 3.57]
    A #29 is slightly smaller than 3.5 [3.454]

++ on the depth stop issue. I don't use step bits, I make my own stops - usually something similar to the cork idea. I set depth each time using a digital caliper.

HTH

I been using a 5/32nd bit which is actualy 3.96875 mm I see using the handy on-line inch to mm conversion

I based my carefully considered bit selection on holding the bit up behind a binding screw ... the world has not ended

I don't use step bits cuz I don't have one, I could order one from the excited states it would arrive 3 weeks later by dog sled costing about 40$ so I just buy a whole set from Canuck tire and select the 5/32nd, for the drill stop one could use a piece of wood, I use a cork because when I needed a piece of wood to make a stop it was there and about the right length

I DO think he should mount that ski with some good slow set 2 part which will be the most important thing to prevent a pullout

3.5 and 3.6 are used interchangeably - usually it'll say 3.5x7 or 3.6x7 (or 7.5) if it requires a junior bit. So the 3.6x9 should work fine. You can always measure the ski depth to make sure it's OK, or call/email La Sportiva.

Thanks everyone for the help! Confirmed the mounting point with Sportiva this afternoon, the arrow is the correct spot. Also talked to a buddy who runs a shop in Oregon and he mentioned Sportivas have a reputation for creating spinners, hence the narrower drill. I measured and was able to use my 3.6x9 stepped bit no problem. I did use epoxy as per the recommendation here to give a little more holding power. As promised, here is a finished pic!

Name:	IMG_4802.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	889.2 KB 
ID:	232856
    It sucks to suck.

Mounted my own fucking wife 9 months ago. Came out looking good.

Name:	IMG_3635.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	317.9 KB 
ID:	233793
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Needs more stickers.

Did you practice on a 2x4 first?
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 04-25-2018 at 06:22 PM.
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

no one suggested a mount further back?

congrats, dude!

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Mounted my own fucking wife 9 months ago. Came out looking good.

Awesome and congratulations! Which drill guide did you use? Kama Sutra? Clearly you didn't use a drill stop and went STRAIGHT through the base.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

How many beers did you have before the mount? Did you drill freehand? Looks great.

I never drink beer mounting a fixed heel setup

I did always drink beer mounting tele and I'm pretty sure it made the mount better

At least till I ran out of dope

I never drink beer mounting a fixed heel setup

I did always drink beer mounting tele and I'm pretty sure it made the mount better

At least till I ran out of dope
    My question was actually for suprechicken

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmoguls View Post
    How many beers did you have before the mount? Did you drill freehand? Looks great.
    0 beers. 2 ciders. Totally freehand.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Congrats, chicken!!

Recently mounted (with Thom's help) some speed radical toes and SSL heels. Pretty awesome light combo for reasonable $$ from skimo.co

"Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Now that you mounted your own wife, someone’s gonna ask you to do theirs now that you know how and have all the tools

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Now that you mounted your own wife, someone’s gonna ask you to do theirs now that you know how and have all the tools
    He could probably start a business on the side.

I squeezed in 3 mount jobs on my last day in my Whistler apartment before moving out to start camping in my car for a month.

- 189cm K2 Shreditor 120 (Pettitor) 2015, used, now mounted with used 916 (with swapped-in wide AFD parts), for 314mm BSL at -1.9cm from true center (+6.6cm from manufacturer recommended line).

- 193cm Prior A-star Quad-glass 2015, used, now mounted with used 916 Ninjas (with swapped-in wide AFD parts), for 314mm BSL at -10.5cm from true center (+0.0cm from manufacturer recommended line).

- 188cm Prior Overlord Quad-glass 2012, used, now mounted with used Jester demo bindings.

Name:	IMG_2665.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	904.7 KB 
ID:	234483

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Mounted my own fucking skinny skis late last night. Turned out flawlessly!

Name:	IMG_20180502_222600802.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	980.3 KB 
ID:	234663

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Mounted my own fucking skinny skis late last night. Turned out flawlessly!

Name:	IMG_20180502_222600802.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	980.3 KB 
ID:	234663
    Lol. The toes don’t look screwed in but the heels unfortunately do.

Blizzard Flipcore (tm)?

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmoguls View Post
    Lol. The toes don’t look screwed in but the heels unfortunately do.
    I would not be so foolish as to screw in the heels (or toes) with the masking tape still on the ski! Those heel screws are for the B&D adjustment plates.

Definitely did drill one ski switch though.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    I would not be so foolish as to screw in the heels (or toes) with the masking tape still on the ski! Those heel screws are for the B&D adjustment plates.

Definitely did drill one ski switch though.
    the true reason twin tipped skis were invented