Page 113 of 116 FirstFirst ... 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 2879
    Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Generally in this era, skis had a toe line marking and then you just mounted the heel to appropriate BSL. There usually was no midsole indicator.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Pretty much Volkl and K2.
    Volkl had the schuspitze(boot toe)
    K2 had #'s that corresponded to bsl, which is what the schuhmitte(boot center)on these Volkls appear to be as well, which is a midsole line.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    'Boot Toe' is in fact printed on the base so I'll start there.
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by rikamurf View Post
    Attachment 270710

Will be using the forward most inserts that are the original plastic that has then been filled with a plastic plug.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    edit: that silver stuff looks like JB weld 2 part epoxy which will probably stick in the hole, if you need to use those holes I think I would start by drilling a small pilot hole in the very middle
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I mounted some Ions paired to moment meridian tours tonight. Used this template http://www.slidewright.com/Bindings/G3_ION_Template.pdf
    I learned that the bsl chart on this can vary based on boot. My vulcans necessitated mounting the template rearward 5mm to allow for boot midsole to line up with recommended mount for this ski. No biggie and glad i have gotten used to double and triple checking everything. Finally switched to g flex for epoxy. Perfect and bomber mount. Cant wait to ski.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57257976206__F2E33CC2-DF7F-4A16-896D-FF71EBF4DE17.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	270982
    Last edited by roverdoc; 02-22-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roverdoc View Post
    I mounted some Ions paired to moment meridian tours tonight. Used this template http://www.slidewright.com/Bindings/G3_ION_Template.pdf
    I learned that the bsl chart on this can vary based on boot. My vulcans necessitated mounting the template rearward 5mm to allow for boot midsole to line up with recommended mount for this ski. No biggie and glad i have gotten used to double and triple checking everything. Finally switched to g flex for epoxy. Perfect and bomber mount. Cant wait to ski.

Those look great. I use Alpineord’s template for Ions too, and it’s worth noting/reinforcing that the bsl markings are only ballpark, so the diligent MYOFSer will double check or test mount for sole length.
    Jesus rides beside me, he never buys any smokes.

Those are fuckin HAWT
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Nice looking floors. What is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I think it's good practice to attach the toes to the boots then align the toe piece over the toe holes to see where the BSC hits on this (and any) template. Then adjust the template relative to mounting line as necessary. The ION heels have, IIRC, 25mm adjustment range which gives you flexibility as to where to mount them within their adjustment range.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Bike Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR
    BIKE TOOL BLOW OUT!

I think waht happens a lot is some dentist downloads a template, doesnt check for correct size from the printer, tapes it to the ski and and drills all the holes before checking anything

measure thrice, drill once and check between drilling ... its easier to fix half a fuckup
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

In the past 3 weeks I have mounted a pair of Shifts and 2 pairs of Marker Tours. The Shifts were pretty straightforward but I definitely mounted them to a 2X4 to practice. I've probably done 20+ Marker mounts. Feel like I can start drinking beer as soon as I have the centerline marked when doing those.

If anyone needs a Tyrolia Ambition template, I found this on Pugski. Haven't tried it yet but it looks to be straight from Tyrolia's template. Also posted the link in the Templates thread.
    https://www.pugski.com/threads/tyrol...-advice.10545/

Thanks Terry. That is what i ended up doing and how i realized there was a discrepancy. Slid the template back and voila. mounted toes and then adjusted rear template to be in middle of adjustability. First time the paper template wasn't within a couple of mm for me. Always good to check. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    I think it's good practice to attach the toes to the boots then align the toe piece over the toe holes to see where the BSC hits on this (and any) template. Then adjust the template relative to mounting line as necessary. The ION heels have, IIRC, 25mm adjustment range which gives you flexibility as to where to mount them within their adjustment range.

2/3 of the way through putting inserts for Beast14/Radical 2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    2/3 of the way through putting inserts for Beast14/Radical 2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Looking good

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Buy used - mount your own skis - build a quiver

The inserts turned out better than the previous sets. I think I am close to having my process dialed and knowing how to clean up the epoxy.

I also much prefer putting inserts into DPS skis over the Salomon MTN explore 95s and the Volkl BMT 94s that I did previously. Construction seems to be much more solid.

Seth

I screwed up. I didn't mount my own fucking skis. I haven't paid for a mount in over 5 years, mounted numerous skis in that time. However, I got frustrated mounting my girlfriend's Ions. They're just a pain in the ass compared to Speed Turns, and I'm also a bit out of practice. Being new to town, I decided this would be a good way to make friends with the shop. Dropped them off with a six pack earlier this week. She went to pick them up today and they were mounted with someone else's Dynafits (personally, I would've thanked them and left). Lesson learned: Mount your own Fucking Skis.
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    I screwed up. I didn't mount my own fucking skis. I haven't paid for a mount in over 5 years, mounted numerous skis in that time. However, I got frustrated mounting my girlfriend's Ions. They're just a pain in the ass compared to Speed Turns, and I'm also a bit out of practice. Being new to town, I decided this would be a good way to make friends with the shop. Dropped them off with a six pack earlier this week. She went to pick them up today and they were mounted with someone else's Dynafits (personally, I would've thanked them and left). Lesson learned: Mount your own Fucking Skis.
    Lesson learned - beer when you're picking up the work (not dropping it off ) ;-)

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Super clean mount Seth. nice work.

Mounted Shifts on my new Moments last night. Used the paper template from the Shift thread and it was bang on. These are 190s mounted at -1 cm.

Name:	moment_dw__shift_2__enlarged.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	271666

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchwagon View Post
    Mounted Shifts on my new Moments last night. Used the paper template from the Shift thread and it was bang on. These are 190s mounted at -1 cm.

Name:	moment_dw__shift_2__enlarged.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	271666
    Have and quite like this setup. Iím at + 0.5.

Edit: correction. Have bibby tours. Didnít realize these were DW.

Still looks good
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Brand new, straight from the factory 189 BGs freshly mounted with STH steels. Sexy. Taking her for a spin tomorrow AM.

Name:	IMG_2464.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	272642

Fuck me thats so sexy

Paging Alpinord (and anyone else who wants to chime in) ... I read this link and it says a minimum screw depth of 6mm or 4 threads.

I'm shimming dynafit toes and the longest screws I have give me 6.7mm of screw into the ski, but it really only looks like 3 threads will be used. Stock screws with no shim have a penetration of almost 8mm and a full 4 threads.

I know that 4 is more than 3, and I know I'll probably die. Is this pushing it and I should order longer screws and cut them down or will I be fine?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Remember that some screws are tapered to help tap the hole.

The useable (full strength) part of the screw is the untapered section.

... Thom

Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Remember that some screws are tapered to help tap the hole.

The useable (full strength) part of the screw is the untapered section.

... Thom

For sure. I have 3 full threads before the taper.

Why chance it? You have 3/4 of the minimum purchase holding your ass on your skis as is 'suggested as a rule of thumb'.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Bike Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR
    BIKE TOOL BLOW OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Why chance it? You have 3/4 of the minimum purchase holding your ass on your skis as is 'suggested as a rule of thumb'.
    Yeah, fair. I guess I was asking because the rule of 4 threads seems to need more than 6mm on AB binding screw threads so it seemed like a bit of a contradiction.

The only real issue is that the next size up 28mm screws are panhead instead of flathead, and don't have the taper on the screw head to fit in the tapered hole on the binding.

I'd think tapered would be better here but is that not actually a big deal?