Page 169 of 274 FirstFirst ... 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,225 of 6838
    that was the point, to be funny

i know you are not actualy black

I'm not a ski tech and I don't wanabe

I supose one can just load the skis in the lexus and run them down to the ski store

Or i can tell them how to fix a spinner with what they got lying around

51 what ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    might give it a go if I’m ever near a place that does it
    I phantomed my touring skis, it’s easy to do yourself in the CA sunshine. Surprisingly slippery.

I’ll try a pair.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

First time mounting skis with metal in it (mindbender 108ti). They're a friends first pair of new skis so I want to extra make sure I get it right. Couple things I'd like to verify...

I'm going to use a 3.6mm bit. I know you're supposed to use a 4.1 for metal skis but if I tap there shouldn't be a problem right?

I currently don't have a tap guide, is it fine if I make one out of a 2x4? Or don't use one?

Otherwise everything is same as a non-metal ski I'm assuming.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    I currently don't have a tap guide, is it fine if I make one out of a 2x4? Or don't use one?
    for screws, vertical is not so critical [yes for inserts tho i'm sure some here have freehanded them]
    don't get me wrong; be careful
    but a drill/tap guide isn't essential

i use one cuz i have one & i'm anal, but not reqd at all

i'd spring for the 4.1 (again cuz i'm anal), but I imagine yer not gonna die

I'll be adding some Ripstick 88's which I will fucking mount on my own, but here's the 2020-21 quiver so far....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7085.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	348.6 KB 
ID:	351140
    Gravity. It's the law.

First time mounting skis with metal in it (mindbender 108ti). They're a friends first pair of new skis so I want to extra make sure I get it right. Couple things I'd like to verify...

I'm going to use a 3.6mm bit. I know you're supposed to use a 4.1 for metal skis but if I tap there shouldn't be a problem right?

Turns out the tap I have is for inserts. SVST is sold out of the 4.1mm tap. Any chance home depot carries this tap?

Thanks, I know that's what I'm looking for but I was hoping to mount the bindings tonight, looks like that's not going to happen though

I’ll second the “you’ll live”. I only drill 3.6mm and always tap freehand, never had a spinner and qualitatively the screws sink in and tighten up consistently across all cores/laminates.

The reason for the 4.1mm drill in metal (or thick carbon) ski is the root diameter of the screw threads (the "shaft"). In a non-metal ski, it's fine for the hole to be a little smaller than the root diameter of the screw, since the material can compress a bit around the screw root. Even if you tap a 3.6mm hole in a metal ski, the screw threads will fit fine but the root may have a hard time stretching the too-small hole larger, stressing the metal around the hole.

But you won't die, it just won't be an easy fit.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Mounted pivots onto some fucking skis and the arms have contact on the ski boot as shown.

Don't worry and drink another beer or fire up the angle grinder and make some room on the boot?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    I have 3 setups with pivots and they all touch the arms with both pair of boots I have. I swear I recently stumbled upon some literature for pivot/fks that showed there was supposed to be contact there, but I can't find it again so I could be mistaken. Don't grind your boots.
    Found it here
    Couple relevant screen shots. Mentions twice that the arms are designed as a contact point.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 1.14.12 PM.png
Views: 398
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 1.14.41 PM.png
Views: 394
Size:  40.5 KB

Now that I have to subtract 1 on the DIN scale I took off these and put on these. Still rocking. #sally #STH #greenspring #mismatched #pocketrocket

Thinking about taking the mismatched 9-16 / 14 -20's up to the national ability center for one of those sit skis.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by F#*k You Cat; 12-05-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    Found it here
    Couple relevant screen shots. Mentions twice that the arms are designed as a contact point.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 1.14.12 PM.png
Views: 398
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 1.14.41 PM.png
Views: 394
Size:  40.5 KB
    Thank you! Now putting away the angle grinder and grabbing another beer.

Is there a more common tap that can be found locally at a hardware store that will suffice? Just drilled my first pair of metal skis and don't want to spend 30+ ship.

Or should I just screw em in? Am I going to die?

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

As has been noted many times, most retail shops don’t tap when they mount, likely because it takes more time than the very rare spinner they are properly equipped to handle.

Use the 4.1 for metal. Screw it in. You’re not gonna die.

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    Now that I have to subtract 1 on the DIN scale I took off these and put on these. Still rocking. #sally #STH #greenspring #mismatched #pocketrocket

Thinking about taking the mismatched 9-16 / 14 -20's up to the national ability center for one of those sit skis.
    Under 9 or over 55?

I never tap, zero issues not dead yet. Still plenty of time tho..

Motel Mattress Monoski Mount

Last edited by makimono; 12-06-2020 at 10:03 PM.
    DUMB N DANGEROUS

Had a few too many beverages and looks like I didn't do a good job finding center. These are my low tide/early season/getting towed behind the pickup skis and they've had 3.5 mounts already so I'm not remounting them. The left side measures 1" edge to binding and the right measures 1-1/8" edge to binding, so 1/16" off from center. Do you think it'll be noticeable when skiing? Is it enough to mess with the performance of the binding?

How do you guys find center? I currently use a centering ruler but obviously that's not doing well for me. I was going to buy a centering tool from slidewright but he was sold out. To me this seems to be the hardest part. Suggestions?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I would be shocked if you can notice that small amount of difference.

How do you guys find center? I currently use a centering ruler but obviously that's not doing well for me. I was going to buy a centering tool from slidewright but he was sold out. To me this seems to be the hardest part. Suggestions?
    I have a 36” alum ruler (it flexes along the length & still provide a straight line)
    i set lines 18” down & up from boot center on the ski to extend the distance for a centerline down the ski.
    At those spots, I use the slidewright sticker on a steel straight edge to get center
    Then, over a piece of tape, I draw the centerline to get the intersection with not just boot center but also with the ends of the toe & heel paper templates

longer line = more accurate center

the part that gets eyeballed is the placement and rotation of the short centering ruler to find center at the ends of the line - that seems like a reasonable spot for an eyeball measure given that we cant just set a square against the sidewall

1/16 is 1.5mm, that means you were off my 0.75mm to one side, which could fully have happened during the drilling part. Even using a jig will give you variation like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I would be shocked if you can notice that small amount of difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    1/16 is 1.5mm, that means you were off my 0.75mm to one side, which could fully have happened during the drilling part. Even using a jig will give you variation like that.
    Thanks, good to hear. Looks like I just need to tone down the perfectionist hah.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I have a 36” alum ruler (it flexes along the length & still provide a straight line)
    i set lines 18” down & up from boot center on the ski to extend the distance for a centerline down the ski.
    At those spots, I use the slidewright sticker on a steel straight edge to get center
    Then, over a piece of tape, I draw the centerline to get the intersection with not just boot center but also with the ends of the toe & heel paper templates

longer line = more accurate center

the part that gets eyeballed is the placement and rotation of the short centering ruler to find center at the ends of the line - that seems like a reasonable spot for an eyeball measure given that we cant just set a square against the sidewall
    This is more or less the technique I use. Thanks for the verification.

I've made it a policy never to measure my shit after unless something looks noticeably off from 6' (my height) away. The only exception being heel pin alignment on tech bindings.

There's a lot more wrong with my skiing than 1/16th of an inch.