Page 71 of 274 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 6831
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Paper-thin skis? Holes too shallow?

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    You must be installing them in thin section skis and/or you're not drilling deep enough.

Deja Vu....

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Deja Vu....
    Cut him a little slack. He's really old.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Cut him a little slack. He's really old.
    eh sonny?

High VOC glue can do that.

Speaking of the opposite of thin skis. I just mounted some 4FRNT mogul skis for junior. Things are like 3/4" thick. Made me nostalgic.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    ive said it before kicking back safely cracking a beer and dyi ing a mount or 2 is pretty fuckin easy and hard to fuck up
    working in a busy shop mounting hundreds of skis a week tuning testing interacting with jerry's not to mention skiing every day
    cause thats why most of us are doing it is fuckin light years from the latter
    while not condoning fuckups like the above mentioned
    my guess ould be fng trying to hard or one of them techs who aint familiar with them randoknee binders
    i gots no idea what your skills to pay the bills are but i doubt you do it perfectly or showed up and crushed it from day 1
    i got base titties on my dps atk freeraider heel mount cause i used gorilla glue for the binders and safety break that ran long
    I like what you're saying and totally agree. I have all the time in the world to do my own skis... Plus my bill skills are being a mechanic, so I'm more mined that way than your normal jerry. I mounted one pair with my mate and he was in his shop, in a hurry. Wasn't a great mount but now I know what to do with my 3 new pairs the just showed up at home. Will be doing them in my garage over several days with several more beers. I think it's just the fear of fucking up $1000 worth of stuff, DIYing your own mounts... But like we keep seeing over and over again, there aint no trade being a ski tech. You sure don't need to go to college to 'qualify' if you get what I'm saying. Not saying there aren't brilliant techs out there, but they seem to be more rare nowadays.

^ agree with all of that, but really struggle with some of the shit coming out of shops. Some if it would be akin to a mechanic forgetting to put the wheels back on after completing a brake job and then wondering why the customer was pissed when their vehicle wouldn't move/needed new rotors.
    Take your time, enjoy the process and your mounts will be accurate and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Aus George View Post
    I like what you're saying and totally agree. I have all the time in the world to do my own skis... Plus my bill skills are being a mechanic, so I'm more mined that way than your normal jerry. I mounted one pair with my mate and he was in his shop, in a hurry. Wasn't a great mount but now I know what to do with my 3 new pairs the just showed up at home. Will be doing them in my garage over several days with several more beers. I think it's just the fear of fucking up $1000 worth of stuff, DIYing your own mounts... But like we keep seeing over and over again, there aint no trade being a ski tech. You sure don't need to go to college to 'qualify' if you get what I'm saying. Not saying there aren't brilliant techs out there, but they seem to be more rare nowadays.
    As far as fucking up skis: It is hard to do something unfixable. You may lower your resale value. IF you completely blow a mount, you can move it. If you drill through the bottom of a ski, you can fill it. If your dimples bother you, and you can't get them out, have them ground. If you put random holes in the wrong place, get a sticker.

Given that I haven't mounted all that many skis, I probably shouldn't know all that. I have had a few shop failures, but as of yet, no field failures.

Quote Originally Posted by HHTELE View Post
    As far as fucking up skis: It is hard to do something unfixable. You may lower your resale value. IF you completely blow a mount, you can move it. If you drill through the bottom of a ski, you can fill it. If your dimples bother you, and you can't get them out, have them ground. If you put random holes in the wrong place, get a sticker.

Given that I haven't mounted all that many skis, I probably shouldn't know all that. I have had a few shop failures, but as of yet, no field failures.
    prettty much this^^
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This time around it’s some brand new Jessie 108’s for bae and French Swiss cheese for me.

I didn’t count the mounts on the LP’s but this one is cleaner than the last one.

Please mount your own fuckin’ skis.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

We used to do it for free after any purchase in the shop. You could buy lip balm for 1.25 and we would mount them for free. All about getting people in the shop and hoping they see something they want/need and buy it there vs online.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Latest pair. Got to use this drill press table today - it's literally perfect for drilling and mounting skis. Definitely sped up the process over using a small platform and handheld clamps. I'd say it's worth it if you mount a lot of skis or use your drill press often: (package 2)

https://www.woodpeck.com/wpdrillpresstable.html

that top deck looks challenging
    watch out for snakes

Speaking of deck, I need that table for my drill press. I acquired one last year and have yet to use it for mount my own fucking skis.

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Tour 12s on motherfucking Protests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PlayItLeo; 12-01-2017 at 11:41 PM.

One by hand drill/guide and one with the drill press. Muggy Dude's image motivated me to try the drill press through the template. Quick Grips with the ski on cardboard worked well. The t-tracks with clamps on the deck work great for lots of things....like my vise system:

Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

^^^ lotta sidecut on those things. It's like the 90s all over again.

16M = fun on firm snow.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

So you guyz who use drill presses ... do you compensate for the fact that the top sheet of the ski isn't parallel to the base? This has always kept me from messing with my press (and continuing to go freestyle).

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    So you guyz who use drill presses ... do you compensate for the fact that the top sheet of the ski isn't parallel to the base? This has always kept me from messing with my press (and continuing to go freestyle).

... Thom
    not following...
    the drill press is perpendicular to the base of the ski, which is the important part

... Thom
    Nahh, the top sheet curvature compared to the base is too small to make a difference. When freestyling one is probably often more off sideways then what the topsheet curvature differs lengthwise anyway. Don't worry, just drill them nine mill holes, it's not lunar rocket production...

Grabbed some odd 192 Jag Sharks here in Scandiland and managed to find space for a Sth2 mount in between old Sth and Duke L holes.

No gf tit pics in this post however lotsa nekkid chicks on them topsheets...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171202_211314.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	217847

Sent from my SM-A520F using TGR Forums mobile app

... Thom
    Any camber or rocker underfoot is flattened when you clamp the ski down. Any curve in the top sheet side is negligible. Drill press definitely gives more accuracy overall

I might have to test this out on some junk skis. Everytime I try something new (even if it's an improved process), I always end up doing a better mount the second time ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Shop jigs don't compensate for top sheet curvature either.

A drill press is extreme overkill for the job, but if you already own one, and know what you're doing, it will probably yield the best results.