Page 6 of 275 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    It's not hard to do, I have done the last few pairs of mine and some dynafit races, the ones with no adjustment. (Dun Dun Dun)

I just mounted my first pair of fucking skis using the paper templates on jondrums' thread. It took less than an hour, was easy, and turned out perfectly. I won't let a shop drill my skis again.

just mounted my first pair of f-ing skis. My right toe piece is 3mm farther forward than my left, I think that was my only mistake. I trusted Jons hash marks over my center line for centering. I think I can skip that step next time.

Quote Originally Posted by krick View Post
    am I being too easy on these guys?
    Yes. Not your responsibility to take care of a shop's business plan or hiring nice guys who screw up over and over...

if nothing else, I learned a valuable lesson here, which is to mount my own fucking skis from now on.

That's the truth god damnit! Sorry about your luck man that is shit. Even when a shop makes an honest mistake you can get a bit peeved, because it was unexpected. Your story sounds like a world class motherfuckup.

As you can see from this thread mounting your own bindings is actually pretty simple. Good luck in the future man!

My recent horror story. A shop screwed up a mount earlier this year by mounting -1cm back even though I'd asked them to mount on the line because they couldn't mount on the line and still have 1cm clearance from the existing holes. I understood the clearance issue but was pissed that they didn't call me first to ask if they should go ahead with the mount (I would have said no). They offered to remount for free, but they couldn't (or wouldn't) do it with the existing bindings because of the clearance issues. I was pissed about the extra drill holes but said fine and told them I'd get some demo bindings which would solve the clearance issues while still allowing me to have my midsole on the line (and play around with midsole points).

I eventually got the demo bindings, brought the skis back in and had them remounted by the same shop. So what did they do? They mounted the demo bindings so far back that even the most forward position on the demo bindings was -2cm - i.e. even further fucking back than the first mount! I pointed this out, they apologized and said that they would remount again (yet another set of fucking holes), which they did. At this point I was hugely pissed about all the holes but happy to finally have my skis back and mounted where I wanted them.

When I got home, however, I noticed that none of the 4 binding plates were sitting flush on the skis and I could actually see that it was because the shop hadn't fully chiseled down the plastic plugs that they'd used to fill the extra holes they'd drilled. Rather than take the skis back, I decided to fix them myself and started unscrewing the bindings. Everything was fine until I got to one screw that offered no initial counter-clockwise resistance whatsoever. So I gently turned it clockwise and sure enough - spinner. Unbelievable - a fucking spinner that the shop either didn't notice or didn't bother fixing.

When I finished removing all the bindings, I got my next surprise - 2 of the rear holes on each ski (4 holes total) had less than 1cm clearance from old holes (about 6-7mm) which were filled with hammered in plastic plugs (no epoxy). Un-fucking believable, especially considering the fact that this all fucking started with them doing the first mount further back because of hole clearance issues. I chiseled all the plugs flush, fixed the spinner (epoxy resin with fiberglass cloth threads) and re-installed the bindings.

So now I've got two extra sets of holes, and bindings mounted with two screws on each ski having less than 1cm of clearance from old holes. Notwithstanding that I'm absolutely livid, I'm inclined to just let it go if the hole clearance (or lack thereof) isn't too sketchy because the only thing they could offer at this point is some kind of compensation which I'd feel bad about taking because the ski economy is absolute shit this year, ski shops including this one are bleeding red from every orifice and the shop tech is actually a really good guy (a complete fuck-up apparently, but a good guy nonetheless) and I don't want to get him shit-canned. What do you guys think about the hole clearance and am I being too easy on these guys?

PS - if nothing else, I learned a valuable lesson here, which is to mount my own fucking skis from now on.
    I would have told u to fuck off and stop being an idiot after the very first mount. 1cm of difference does not matter much. Also 6-7 mm is ok. Like anywhere else being a chill customer will get you better service and will make them care about stuff like spinners

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Marshack View Post
    I would have told u to fuck off and stop being an idiot after the very first mount. 1cm of difference does not matter much. Also 6-7 mm is ok. Like anywhere else being a chill customer will get you better service and will make them care about stuff like spinners
    I would have asked to talk to your boss. 1cm is a big deal on some skis.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I predict a long and successful career for you. You're saying even if you knew you fucked up you'd tell a customer to fuck off for calling you on it? Where can I invest in your upcoming financial success?

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I would have asked to talk to your boss. 1cm is a big deal on some skis.
    Fuck yeah. 1cm makes quite a difference on MOST skis I have ever played with mount points on.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

And that right there is why you should mount your own fucking skis.

If you can't tell the difference between two mounts 1 cm apart on hard snow, then you're probably a shitty skier.

^^ Yeah dude, I don't even bother with a template anymore. That shit's for gapers.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    And that right there is why you should mount your own fucking skis.

If you can't tell the difference between two mounts 1 cm apart on hard snow, then you're probably a shitty skier.
    Or adaptable.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

or me.......

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Or adaptable.
    Yeah, I agree, but I was talking about noticing it. And what I was really talking about was someone's cavalier attitude toward their work. If I had acted like that when I worked in a shop, I would've been shown the door.

I was going to pm, but since I've got you here... your excellent center-finding template doesn't download from your link. Instead of downloading a full sized pdf, you get a really small jpeg.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Yeah, I agree, but I was talking about noticing it. And what I was really talking about was someone's cavalier attitude toward their work. If I had acted like that when I worked in a shop, I would've been shown the door.

I was going to pm, but since I've got you here... your excellent center-finding template doesn't download from your link. Instead of downloading a full sized pdf, you get a really small jpeg.
    I know. I couldn't resist....

Thanks for the heads up on the download. I revised it and changed it to a pdf, IIRC. It's fixed in this Tips Blog Topic: Finding Your Ski’s Centerline

Direct download: Ski Center template
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

^^^ awesome thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    Yes. Not your responsibility to take care of a shop's business plan or hiring nice guys who screw up over and over...
    Yeah - but I have a hard time giving good guys a hard time in a shitty economy.

How exactly was I an idiot, other than by letting them remount my skis after fucking up the first time? I asked them to do something very specific and they didn't do it. I shouldn't be pissed about that? And I was about as "chill" as someone could be - I was pissed but never outwardly - in fact, I apologized for being so anal about it when I pointed out the mounting problems. The only way I could have been more "chill" is if I never said a thing and just accepted the first mount the way it was, but if I'd done that then I really would have been an idiot. And having played around with mounting points over the past 2 weeks on the demo bindings I now have on these skis, I can definitely feel a 1cm difference. I'm not saying it's huge, but it's noticeable.
    "What could possibly go wrong?"

I banged out this Hole Layout Guide that some may find useful:

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

I always end up buying skis that have been mounted to my BSL already, then find whatever bindings the previous owner had and use the same holes with some epoxy.

But holy fuck, people really pay $75 for a mount?! When I need it done my shop charges $20-

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
    I always end up buying skis that have been mounted to my BSL already, then find whatever bindings the previous owner had and use the same holes with some epoxy.

But holy fuck, people really pay $75 for a mount?! When I need it done my shop charges $20-
    I know shops around Central NY have to have a special insurance policy that is really expensive in order to mount someone elses' skis. I have paid the $75 fee for it on certain occasions but only in emergency situations (i.e. replacement race skis a day before a race) but most of the time if you talk to the shop tech I have found they will do it for cheaper. Haven't had any bad experiences having others mount my own skis besides for one incident where I was too young to care/notice, but I cannot justify buying power tools in college nor do I even have the workspace to mount my skis. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by StuckInOhio91 View Post
    I know shops around Central NY have to have a special insurance policy that is really expensive in order to mount someone elses' skis. I have paid the $75 fee for it on certain occasions but only in emergency situations (i.e. replacement race skis a day before a race) but most of the time if you talk to the shop tech I have found they will do it for cheaper. Haven't had any bad experiences having others mount my own skis besides for one incident where I was too young to care/notice, but I cannot justify buying power tools in college nor do I even have the workspace to mount my skis. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.
    You can get a drill at a pawnshop for like $20 and I mount skis on my kitchen table (when my wife isn't home). For the cost of one mount you could have the tools to do it yourself. Quit making excuses and mount your own fucking skis!

And that special insurance policy sounds like bullshit, they're just trying to separate you from your money.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Just mounted my own fucking skis. First pair of tech bindings I've done. Google search and Jong engine turned up more templates and detailed instructions than I could count. So much good material online (and some shitty) that you might as well fuck em up yourself, rather than pay some dude at the shop to have all the fun.

I mounted Krystal Kartwright's new fucking skis today

Last edited by ~mikey b; 05-17-2012 at 12:26 AM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    That is all.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ugh?highlight=

My thread with pictures on how to mount skis. with critiques.

Just mounted my own fucking skis and liked it so much I'm gonna do it again. Thanks to all.

Well, for what it's worth, I've had many skis mounted at my local shop (evo) and they've done a great job every time. Just rather not have to do it myself honestly. I'd probably screw it up anyways.