Page 255 of 260 FirstFirst ... 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 LastLast
Results 6,351 to 6,375 of 6491
  1. #6351
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    20,632
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Epoxy putty is your friend for filling holes
    Putty is hard to get in there. But it works to seal a hole.

    I don’t get the skewer is better idea.
    Skewers and golf tees (with epoxy) are good alternatives to plastic plugs when holes are close.

    But. If you fill an entire hole with slow cure epoxy, that seems pretty strong to me. The hard part is getting it to flow and not having an air pocket.
    Heat gun and toothpick or paper clip poking helps.

  2. #6352
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,006
    It's not that hard to fill the hole w/ putty

  3. #6353
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    20,632
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    It's not that hard to fill the hole w/ putty
    Yeah. Mash it in there.

    But my thought was more about a more liquid epoxy soaking into the wood core. Esp if holes are close.

  4. #6354
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Epoxy putty is your friend for filling holes
    Iíll keep this in mind. I wound up at the store and bought the thicker skewers and drill sanded them to a fairly tight fit. Iíve got like two more remounts planned, some one that may require overlapping holes.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  5. #6355
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    We need to start a Ďfucked up your own ski mountí thread. Like a support group.
    Well not quite that I fucked up, but did a bit of a hack job. Iím not sure what the shop used on the screws on some skis Iím remounting, but I broke not 1 but 2 t20 bits trying to pull the screw. Which resulted in a stripped head. Started drilling, fucked up a couple bits trying to drill too fast. Got an easy out to wedge in, then snap. Broke the screw off right at the top of the ski. Started drilling again, but the bit wandered, soClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5322.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	468986 I only drilled half the screw, and also made a huge hole in my ski. Managed to pull the remainder of the screw. Luckily managed to get two dowels in with epoxy, and move the mount back 5mm from the line so itís not quite sharing the hole. not quite finished, but boy has it been a struggle.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  6. #6356
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    17,798
    nice work
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  7. #6357
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    Well not quite that I fucked up, but did a bit of a hack job. I’m not sure what the shop used on the screws on some skis I’m remounting, but I broke not 1 but 2 t20 bits trying to pull the screw. Which resulted in a stripped head. Started drilling, fucked up a couple bits trying to drill too fast. Got an easy out to wedge in, then snap. Broke the screw off right at the top of the ski. Started drilling again, but the bit wandered, soClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5322.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	468986 I only drilled half the screw, and also made a huge hole in my ski. Managed to pull the remainder of the screw. Luckily managed to get two dowels in with epoxy, and move the mount back 5mm from the line so it’s not quite sharing the hole. not quite finished, but boy has it been a struggle.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    At least you are persistent.

  8. #6358
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Deep in the heart of....
    Posts
    607
    You can use 2 part epoxy and collodial silica to thicken it into a peanut butter paste. Then you can either jam that shit in until it overflows and poke it down or get some epoxy syringes off amazon.

  9. #6359
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    814
    I guess I'm shitty at math and/or spatial visualization, but this conundrum seems to be causing me more anguish than it should.

    I have a pair of old blizzard peacemakers with pivots which need a remount due to a smaller BSL. The heels have been fixed for spinners so I'd really prefer not to pull them -- plus the original mount was at +1.5 for a 325ish(?) BSL, so moving the toe back should put me closer to recommended. I've been skiing them with 320 bsl with the heel basically maxed out in the forward position, and now need mount for a 315 bsl. Is there any way I can test how far back I need to move the toepiece to put me in the middle of the heel adjustment range (since i don't remember the exact BSL for which it was originally mounted)?

    Or just move it between 1 and 1.5 cm back and call it good?

  10. #6360
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    4,950
    Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    I guess I'm shitty at math and/or spatial visualization, but this conundrum seems to be causing me more anguish than it should.

    I have a pair of old blizzard peacemakers with pivots which need a remount due to a smaller BSL. The heels have been fixed for spinners so I'd really prefer not to pull them -- plus the original mount was at +1.5 for a 325ish(?) BSL, so moving the toe back should put me closer to recommended. I've been skiing them with 320 bsl with the heel basically maxed out in the forward position, and now need mount for a 315 bsl. Is there any way I can test how far back I need to move the toepiece to put me in the middle of the heel adjustment range (since i don't remember the exact BSL for which it was originally mounted)?

    Or just move it between 1 and 1.5 cm back and call it good?
    Print out the paper templates, space them for the proper new BSL and measure from one of the rear screws to one of the front screws, then use that dimension to place the template on the ski?

  11. #6361
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    814
    Oh, duh! Thank you, sir

  12. #6362
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,209
    My DIY drill guide was ďholed outĒ, so I went to scavenge the garage for a suitable piece of plate steel and found this:

    Simpson Strong-Tie TP35

    The holes are an exact match for the 3.6mm binding bit diameter. Pretty awesome ready-made solution for perfectly aligned drilling. Simple pleasuresÖ


    :::::@:::::

  13. #6363
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SE Idaho
    Posts
    2,148
    Just chiming in to say that Gorilla glue construction adhesive is by far the most impressive binding mounting adhesive I have used in 30 years of mounting my own bindings. No rust, no loosening, waterproof, easy to remove screws. Get sum!

    I still use marine epoxy for remounts, etc. but have found nothing better for fresh mounts.

  14. #6364
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ellensburg
    Posts
    1,065
    C113 @ +1

    Can't wait to get on em!


  15. #6365
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,209

    PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

    Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    C113 @ +1

    Can't wait to get on em!
    FKNA! Those are hawt!

    On a darker note, I did my first mount of the year yesterday on my beautiful new FR110s. On the first toe, wasnít thinking and used a T-handle instead of the screwdriver I normally use. Spun the first screw and now Iím thoroughly annoyed with myself. Switched to the screwdriver for the rest and gobbed a bunch of extra G-flex into the spun hole. Lazy fix, but I think itíll be fine for me.



    Oh, also put these lovely things together.



    :::::@:::::

  16. #6366
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,137
    kingpins with leashes?

    if I can - wtf.

    why not just go with ATKs at half the weight, better toes and more than adequate heels / mpre than enough power transfer with freeride spacers?

    Less color matchy for sure, but still

  17. #6367
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ellensburg
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    kingpins with leashes?

    if I can - wtf.

    why not just go with ATKs at half the weight, better toes and more than adequate heels / mpre than enough power transfer with freeride spacers?

    Less color matchy for sure, but still
    Haha, fair enough. A crime of convenience--it's an outlet pair with 2 existing alpinist mounts (only 2 holes different than a KP), and I pulled the brakeless KPs off another ski. The color matchy was a happy little accident. I did leave plastic plugs in two of the alpinist holes in case I end up wanting to switch to tech heels down the road. I like KPs ok though!

  18. #6368
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ellensburg
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    FKNA! Those are hawt!

    On a darker note, I did my first mount of the year yesterday on my beautiful new FR110s. On the first toe, wasnít thinking and used a T-handle instead of the screwdriver I normally use. Spun the first screw and now Iím thoroughly annoyed with myself.
    :::::@:::::
    That looks like a fun mini-quiver... I think I could be happy with one or three other of those two most days in the NW.

  19. #6369
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    52
    might be a dumb question but would like a sanity check.. does anyone know if the older non GW attack1 13 demo binding holes match the attack2 standard holes? Obvious caveat being the demo binding holes might not match up to my BSL depending on the original mount position.

    Paper template thread and initial research seems the mount pattern is the same between attack1 vs attack2 with only the toe update, but wasnt sure if this held true for demos. Thanks in advance, just verifying before I make a mess of the apartment swapping everything.

    EDIT - search func finally pulled the attack demo thread after a few tries. Will check there as well.

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...+13+demo+holes
    Last edited by fbw360; 10-06-2023 at 12:59 PM.

  20. #6370
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grandma's Basement
    Posts
    1,131
    Quote Originally Posted by fbw360 View Post
    might be a dumb question but would like a sanity check.. does anyone know if the older non GW attack1 13 demo binding holes match the attack2 standard holes? Obvious caveat being the demo binding holes might not match up to my BSL depending on the original mount position.

    Paper template thread and initial research seems the mount pattern is the same between attack1 vs attack2 with only the toe update, but wasnt sure if this held true for demos. Thanks in advance, just verifying before I make a mess of the apartment swapping everything.

    EDIT - search func finally pulled the attack demo thread after a few tries. Will check there as well.

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...+13+demo+holes
    pretty sure they do, but I would double check the measurements with what you got
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

    www.experiencedgear.net

  21. #6371
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by fbw360 View Post
    might be a dumb question but would like a sanity check.. does anyone know if the older non GW attack1 13 demo binding holes match the attack2 standard holes? Obvious caveat being the demo binding holes might not match up to my BSL depending on the original mount position.

    Paper template thread and initial research seems the mount pattern is the same between attack1 vs attack2 with only the toe update, but wasnt sure if this held true for demos. Thanks in advance, just verifying before I make a mess of the apartment swapping everything.

    EDIT - search func finally pulled the attack demo thread after a few tries. Will check there as well.

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...+13+demo+holes
    The heel pattern is the same (apart from the bsl) but the toes are different.

  22. #6372
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    5,775
    Teach the children well.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6641.jpeg 
Views:	154 
Size:	353.7 KB 
ID:	475088

  23. #6373
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    693
    Mounted my BC90s today with MottN's 3d printed jig. Heel pins line up perfectly with no fuss.

    Just need some snow... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20231106_002713446.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	475127Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20231106_012339642.MP.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	475128

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  24. #6374
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NWCT
    Posts
    2,348
    Another year, another round of mounting my kidsí skis.

    148 Kenjas
    178 Chronics
    156 Revolt 95s




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #6375
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    190
    I have begun the journey of mounting my own fucking skis and have a question about how many mounts is acceptableÖ these black ops 118s are cooked and have 3 mounts but are currently too far forward for my tastes. Two of the mounts are forward of the line while the current mount is on the line, i want to move them back a bit by reusing the rear two mount holes for the toe and pulling the heel back the appropriate distance. First picture is the current situation, second picture is about where i would be putting new holes. I know the conventional wisdom is 3 mounts but some people mount 4-5 times or more, so my question is whether this is a good idea or not. My new holes would have significant clearance from all of the current ones, and i could use inserts if that would help. Ski does not have metal but it has an abs mount plate and itís a poplar core. First two sets of holes filled with plugs, i could dowel and epoxy the current holes though. Will my skis snap in half? Please enlighten me.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8288.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	475867
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RenderedImage.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	475868


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •