Page 202 of 275 FirstFirst ... 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 ... LastLast
Results 5,026 to 5,050 of 6863
    Finished those cast mounts. It was a little intimidating to do, but careful work with the paper templates got me there.

I'm stoked to move on from the dynafits that were previously on the Rens--really looking forward to skiing them inbounds this season.

Also, the gold FKS 155s and the owls are a match made in heaven!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Any advice for reusing holes?

Quote Originally Posted by sklar View Post
    Don't trash them taking the old screws out (use heat if necessary) and use good epoxy putting the new screws in. Missing that New Gear Every Year?

Quote Originally Posted by sklar View Post
    Rotate the screw backward in the hole and you might feel it drop into the old threads insted of letting the screw cut new threads (weakens the hole) & use slow set epoxy

this was^^ posted on the last page 9 posts previous so reading the thread is another piece of good advice
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Don't trash them taking the old screws out (use heat if necessary) and use good epoxy putting the new screws in. Missing that New Gear Every Year?
    Got a +1?

Yeah, I went pretty much over a couple holes w/inserts on one toe cause I effed up. Will report back if I die.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8611.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	392346

Name:	IMG_8616.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	392347

Mounted these today. Fairly pedestrian job when you have all the right tools…

Name:	Image1636836742.234440.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	392583

Name:	Image1636836754.904058.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	392584
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I've been mounting my own skis for a few years now thanks in large part to this thread. I just wanted to send a public thank you to rfconfroy for his 3d printable templates/drill guides.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4668734

These really take any guess work out of the mount process and combined with the ski center tool he suggested, (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4744005) made it quick and easy.

Most of the guides are set up to be used with a regular drill bit and a stop but he made a template for my look pivot mount with 8mm holes to use the svst dill bits. 8mm holes are also the right diameter for my wintersteiger tap ensuring a perfect veritcal when drilling and tapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post

Sweetness! Even the boots match.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Inserts are slightly different lengths though.

BF is 9.5mm in length, whereas QK are 9mm. I've personally seen a mount go wrong that way, which resulted in bindings ripping off the ski.
    Woah i didn't know that, I've used them more or less interchangeably. Is this not the right thing to do?

re: demo holes vs remounting

If you have questions about mount point, invest and resuse the demos.

If you are confident that you know where you want to mount, I'd plug the holes and drill for the bindings you have on hand.

As long as there isn't significant overlap with holes you will be all set.

Got a lead on a sth2 jig for me??

#jealous

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Got a lead on a sth2 jig for me??

#jealous
    I used jigarex plates for a few years before I found the STH2/Warden jig. It does make mounting Salomons stupid easy. I cannot remember if I bought it here or on eBay. It certainly felt like finding the Golden Ticket.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by skibummin View Post
    I've been mounting my own skis for a few years now thanks in large part to this thread. I just wanted to send a public thank you to rfconfroy for his 3d printable templates/drill guides.

These really take any guess work out of the mount process and combined with the ski center tool he suggested, (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4744005) made it quick and easy.

Most of the guides are set up to be used with a regular drill bit and a stop but he made a template for my look pivot mount with 8mm holes to use the svst dill bits. 8mm holes are also the right diameter for my wintersteiger tap ensuring a perfect veritcal when drilling and tapping.

Stoked you're stoked!

Got any pics of the process?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I used jigarex plates for a few years before I found the STH2/Warden jig. It does make mounting Salomons stupid easy. I cannot remember if I bought it here or on eBay. It certainly felt like finding the Golden Ticket.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Ive worked in shops (many years ago) and done plenty of mounts with jigs. Ive since done a dozen+ at home with papee templates.. Never fucked one up, but we are talking about 15 min vs 45+. Im ready for a home jig. and am dedicated to Solomon. someone hook it up!!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Ive worked in shops (many years ago) and done plenty of mounts with jigs. Ive since done a dozen+ at home with papee templates.. Never fucked one up, but we are talking about 15 min vs 45+. Im ready for a home jig. and am dedicated to Solomon. someone hook it up!!
    A 3d printed setup might do just fine.
    I've got a crude one for Attack demo's, and it sure does speed things up. (You still have to center it, which a shop jig will do for you, but with a decent centering tool, that's also easy.)

I still use epoxy on every mount, so that takes extra time. (And usually I'm filling the old holes with skewers+epoxy, so more time yet.)
    But I think the 3d printed jig makes it way less fussy.

I think @rfconroy was tinkering with a 3d printed jig - and IMO, that direction seems the most ideal.
    Hey @rfconroy is that idea still around kicking, or is it kind of practically dead?

mounted two pair of fucking skis this week, R11s for my buddy, and my new Woodsman for me.

Bandit Man: whats the part # for the sth2/warden jig? I'd spring for one if I ever thought I could find one.

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    mounted two pair of fucking skis this week, R11s for my buddy, and my new Woodsman for me.

Bandit Man: whats the part # for the sth2/warden jig? I'd spring for one if I ever thought I could find one.

Says it’s L3298160001 in the 2019 binding manual.

Mounted some totally secret Rossi protos.

They're for bespoke-bros who just gotta spin their vinyl turntables, and shoot some real film, have EDC everything, and shave with a straight-razor!

Get 'em while they are hot!

Name:	20211114_205507.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	761.6 KB 
ID:	392748

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Stoked you're stoked!

Got any pics of the process?
    No live pics of the 1st go around. I'm working on a sth2/warden jig off your models and just started the print.

Quote Originally Posted by skibummin View Post

dammit - why do I not own a 3D printer? That centering tool looks like a serious time saver. Thanks for re-posting the link though and for rfconroy for making it in the first place - awesomeness.

Question on Pivot template. I usually mount freehand but I can borrow a shop jig and an older manual ~ circa 2010 says close down the jig plate 5mm shorter than BSL. So does this mean for a 315 I set the jig for 310 and that lands me on the middle adjustment mark on the heel? If I want to land on the longest mark, I'd set the jig for 315?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Question on Pivot template. I usually mount freehand but I can borrow a shop jig and an older manual ~ circa 2010 says close down the jig plate 5mm shorter than BSL. So does this mean for a 315 I set the jig for 310 and that lands me on the middle adjustment mark on the heel? If I want to land on the longest mark, I'd set the jig for 315?
    Yes. Here's my method as you want the boot centre on the mount line as well: Put the boot in the jig to set the jig length. Drill the toe holes only. Shorten jig by 5mm. Align the jig on the ski with the toe holes. Drill the heel holes. This'll give you the correct forward pressure adjustment with the heel length in the middle of the centre knurl and the boot centre on the mount line.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    A 3d printed setup might do just fine.
    I've got a crude one for Attack demo's, and it sure does speed things up. (You still have to center it, which a shop jig will do for you, but with a decent centering tool, that's also easy.)

I still use epoxy on every mount, so that takes extra time. (And usually I'm filling the old holes with skewers+epoxy, so more time yet.)
    But I think the 3d printed jig makes it way less fussy.

I think @rfconroy was tinkering with a 3d printed jig - and IMO, that direction seems the most ideal.
    Hey @rfconroy is that idea still around kicking, or is it kind of practically dead?
    I was doing the simplified drill jigs only, that center mark jig that someone found on thingiverse makes creating your center mark incredibly straightforward. I cant remember who the other mag was that was working on the specific printed adjustable jig. IMO, unless you're doing a bunch of mounts with the same binding all the time, its probably not really worth it.

For anyone interested, if I already have a template/drill jig uploaded on thingverse, and you need a specific BSL or hole size shoot me a PM/DM and I should be able to adjust a model pretty easily.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Yes. Here's my method as you want the boot centre on the mount line as well: Put the boot in the jig to set the jig length. Drill the toe holes only. Shorten jig by 5mm. Align the jig on the ski with the toe holes. Drill the heel holes. This'll give you the correct forward pressure adjustment with the heel length in the middle of the centre knurl and the boot centre on the mount line.
    Terrific...thanks.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang