Page 192 of 194 FirstFirst ... 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 LastLast
Results 4,776 to 4,800 of 4830
  1. #4776
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Think about how one measures ski length tip to tail across the top OR tip to tail across the bottom which has an increased circufrence ?

    which is probaby why recommendations for ski center are given from tail
    My gut feeling is that this isn't the issue here. Something else in play, likely the "88"

  2. #4777
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
    where are you getting the 88 from? and what point on the ski do you believe this is giving you?
    Mounting line for 187 Hoji is 88 from tail

  3. #4778
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,726
    I personally would not mount hojis forward of recommended and I tend to get along with modern mount points

  4. #4779
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Mounting line for 187 Hoji is 88 from tail
    You know that and I know that. He seems to think its 88 minus 4 for some reason if I understand him correctly. Of course I may be the one who is confused. It wouldn't be the first time.

  5. #4780
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,084
    No, SD overthinking it
    187 Hojis must measure out @ 184

  6. #4781
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    102
    Since 88 is 4 back from center I initially thought he believed 88 from tail was ski center and then minus 4 for mount line. But then could you actually believe 88 is mid point on a 187 ski? I don't know. I'm in too deep now.

  7. #4782
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,084
    That's why I was confused

  8. #4783
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Missing the whiteroom...
    Posts
    916

    PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

    Sorry to be unclear and confusing. I was referring to 88 straight pull from tails.

    To confuse matters, the sidewall is marked at 85 1/2 as “recommended” and confirmed by 4frnt .

    I read the article talking about the hoji mount and his description which said for a 304 bsl , he would suggest at 87 ( -6.5 from true centre)
    Then as Tuco stated , Hoji mount is 88 from tail.

    So I have 3 recommendations for mounts .











    Sent from my iPhone using TGR ForumsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1614115444.245382.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	364516
    "Dad, I can huck that"

  9. #4784
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    1,142
    How much do you have to move a mount going from STH2’s to pivots?

    I’m done with STH’s, so sick of the adjustable toe

  10. #4785
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by spotted dogs View Post
    Sorry to be unclear and confusing. I was referring to 88 straight pull from tails.

    To confuse matters, the sidewall is marked at 85 1/2 as “recommended” and confirmed by 4frnt .

    I read the article talking about the hoji mount and his description which said for a 304 bsl , he would suggest at 87 ( -6.5 from true centre)
    Then as Tuco stated , Hoji mount is 88 from tail.

    So I have 3 recommendations for mounts .











    Sent from my iPhone using TGR ForumsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1614115444.245382.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	364516
    Yeah, I looked it up. It said 880mm @187 for 17/18 model year. Did they change from year to year?
    Midline is midline(or whatever you make your line). The only reason it would change for bigger/smaller boot is because it is going off boot toe or bof. So....still confused.
    Was Hoji suggesting different mounts for different bsl's.

  11. #4786
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    128
    So I am trying to shuffle some gear around, there is a reason to my madness.
    I have a pair of skis that have two mounts both for 306 bsl. The first was a pair of Jesters that were not GW compatible, the second mount is a pair Shifts, I had to move back 1cm due to hole conflicts.

    Now I want to take the Shifts off ( I will never tour on these skis and it is a waste having them on the skis).

    I want to do this on the cheap, so my options are

    1. Get a pair of Jesters that are GW compatible (not so cheap) and reuse the old holes
    2. Get a pair of Attacks and drill a third set of hole.

    So my question is, should I drill a third set of holes and is it even possible without drastically moving the new mount forward or backward?

  12. #4787
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    1,260
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Yeah, I looked it up. It said 880mm @187 for 17/18 model year. Did they change from year to year?
    Midline is midline(or whatever you make your line). The only reason it would change for bigger/smaller boot is because it is going off boot toe or bof. So....still confused.
    Was Hoji suggesting different mounts for different bsl's.
    Hoji does have a formula for mounting different boot sizes. His skis are designed on the super old school method of where the toe of the boot should, according to him. You can find the formula online. I only use it for old school renegades that has no mark. I’ve mounted hojis and ravens on the marked line and they’ve felt just right.

  13. #4788
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,084
    Schuhespitze mounting is way old school. Made more sense when skis were straight and cambered w/ flat tails.
    I mean on a renegade boot toe(which is generally chord center)mount a 280mm soled boot is gonna be @ -14 from true center

  14. #4789
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    122
    I am a 322 and mounted using hoji formula.

    Math below and I think it's bang on for ride quality. I errored a bit forward given the big differential between his BSL and mine.



    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  15. #4790
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,084
    So it's based off of his boot @ 284
    Seems like they could have just said boot toe @~102.2 and it would have been less complicated for people. Or a graduated mark grid like K2 used to use
    Last edited by tuco; 02-24-2021 at 07:43 AM.

  16. #4791
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    So it's based off of his boot @ 284
    Seems like they could have just said boot toe @~102.2 and it would have been less complicated for people. Or a graduated mark grid like K2 used to use
    Yeah. It definitely involves a lot of double checking of the numbers. Biggest thing is where you are relative to his boot sole centre.

    Bigger the flippers, the more back your are. But it is like a cm or so.

    One of my hojis had a mis print on the recc mount line and hoji mentioned this to me. Always measure from tail, straight pull.

    Seemed to work.



    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  17. #4792
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,084
    So from that chart it says 187 straight pull, so 93.5. Spotted's 310 bsl is 26mm longer so add 1.3 cm to 5.5(Hoji's reco @ 284). So 6.3 cm or 86.7 straight pull from tail, or 6.5-7(87-86.5) straight pull from tail

  18. #4793
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    3,115
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    So from that chart it says 187 straight pull, so 93.5. Spotted's 310 bsl is 26mm longer so add 1.3 cm to 5.5(Hoji's reco @ 284). So 6.8 cm or 86.8 straight pull from tail, or 6.5-7(87-86.5) straight pull from tail
    When a customer use to argue about what +3 from recommended means, I'd say something just like this, then draw it on a piece of paper for them. Usually I'd get a passive acceptance that I was right.
    Tuco I've learned to understand that everyone's brain works like that. Since that acceptance it has made life easier (less frustrating) for me.
    I also was reading a FB post where it asks people to add two numbers, and explain how they went about added them. It was amazing to see hundreds of different explanations of how people use different techniques in added these numbers.

  19. #4794
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    1,142

  20. #4795
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    22,655
    as a person who made money fixing a whole lot of stuff

    some of the things i see people write on this thread every week convince me that not everyone is mechanically inclined

    they may know money or law or women or teeth

    but they don't know how mechanical things happen
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  21. #4796
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    3,115
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    as a person who made money fixing a whole lot of stuff
    some of the things i see people write on this thread every week convince me that not everyone is mechanically inclined
    they may know money or law or women or teeth
    but they don't know how mechanical things happen
    There are some neighbors you don't lend any tool too.
    XXX-er i'd lend you my tools any day.

  22. #4797
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Missing the whiteroom...
    Posts
    916

    PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    So from that chart it says 187 straight pull, so 93.5. Spotted's 310 bsl is 26mm longer so add 1.3 cm to 5.5(Hoji's reco @ 284). So 6.3 cm or 86.7 straight pull from tail, or 6.5-7(87-86.5) straight pull from tail
    That exactly what I got. It was the sidewall mark that kept throwing me off and making me second guess myself.



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Dad, I can huck that"

  23. #4798
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    22,655
    well otoh its possible TOO make money doing things one finds easy that other people can't seem to do

    I remeber the buddy who got me the life-time gig trying to put a 3/8ths drive socket on a 1/2 driver and asking aloud why it wasnt fitting ?

    OTOH he was sucessful in sales
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  24. #4799
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by spotted dogs View Post
    That exactly what I got. It was the sidewall mark that kept throwing me off and making me second guess myself.



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah I went over this many times and wanted to ensure I ended up in between hojis mark and his recommendation for the larger boot size.

    Sidewall mark shouldn't play a factor. Use the math.

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  25. #4800
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    787
    I remounted my own fucking skis yesterday. Had to dodge some existing holes, but no biggie.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C6A29F82-83DC-4F7F-A504-5761E6ADBEE2.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	427.4 KB 
ID:	364805
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B03204AB-A065-44AC-AF98-1EE83B8AF4C2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	312.5 KB 
ID:	364808

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •