Page 164 of 273 FirstFirst ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 6809
    Soups nailed it. 96mm underfoot. Kind of looks like a skinny CRJ. Could be fun in trees and for surfing around the mini park. Or could suck major balls. We’ll find out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Brahma 87's got mounted yesterday with P18's.
    Attachment 349372
    Attachment 349373
    Looking forward to trying these. Smallest waisted ski I've owned since the Legend 8800 something like 20 years ago.
    Those are a shit ton of fun on EC pack Pow

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

A work in progress. Toe holes marked. All lining up nicely but damn do I scrutinize tele mount points. Drill tomorrow. Household sleeps at the moment. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2775.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	349508
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    A work in progress. Toe holes marked. All lining up nicely but damn do I scrutinize tele mount points. Drill tomorrow. Household sleeps at the moment.
    The fore/aft adjustment after mounted is one reason I really like the Rotte Freeride for lift served skiing (among other things, release, brakes, ease of entry). I won't say it skis as well as the Vice though, based on having skied the Axl, it doesn't.

"fore/aft" just reminded me of the AT Anonymous video and the patchouli smelling crowd talking about the advantage of tele due to the fore/aft stability nonsense, ha. (for those that don't know what I'm talking about: https://www.feedthehabit.com/backcou...rned-at-skier/

A work in progress. Toe holes marked. All lining up nicely but damn do I scrutinize tele mount points. Drill tomorrow. Household sleeps at the moment. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2775.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	349508
    Midsole on the line. Tele shouldn't change that. Never understood the tele mounting voodoo, just mount them the same as alpine.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Midsole on the line. Tele shouldn't change that. Never understood the tele mounting voodoo, just mount them the same as alpine.
    I am with you but the 22Designs template doesn’t have a (clear to me) midsole line and it is hard to line everything up with the boot in the binder. I always end up there/close enough but I torment myself every time. Boot is 30.25cm pins to heel and I ended up lining up the 29 mark on the template on the line. That appears to put boot center on the line perhaps .25cm back. Template tells me to go 1-4cm back from the boot cm measurement so perhaps is telling me to place the 29.25-26.25 markings on the template on the line which is a stupid wide range (+ only has cm markings no fractions). I don’t get this voodoo so I sorta follow template sorta eye it.
    Uno mas

For Freerides, I just put the boot in the binding, line up boot center on the line, mark the front of the binding on topsheet with a marker, then remove boot and mount there. For 22 Designs template measure the distance between the front of binding and pin holes, make a new mark that far back from the original, then line that mark up with the pin hole mark on the template.

I wish manufacturers would quit the "mount further back for tele" stuff. With modern boots and bindings, I agree with tuco.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I am with you but the 22Designs template doesn’t have a (clear to me) midsole line and it is hard to line everything up with the boot in the binder. I always end up there/close enough but I torment myself every time. Boot is 30.25cm pins to heel and I ended up lining up the 29 mark on the template on the line. That appears to put boot center on the line perhaps .25cm back. Template tells me to go 1-4cm back from the boot cm measurement so perhaps is telling me to place the 29.25-26.25 markings on the template on the line which is a stupid wide range (+ only has cm markings no fractions). I don’t get this voodoo so I sorta follow template sorta eye it.
    Does template have pin line?

Does template have pin line?
    yes And I should have added certain ski designs may dictate further fore/aft for boot center, but that would be the case whether alpine or tele.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Take 1/2 of boot sole length(pin line to sole) measurement and put a mark that far forward of ski center line. You are now mounting from pin line or I believe 22D marks it on their clear template as chord center

Take 1/2 of boot sole length(pin line to sole) measurement and put a mark that far forward of ski center line. You are now mounting from pin line or I believe 22D marks it on their clear template as chord center
    Even simpler!

When you have template taped to 1st ski, you can mark the ski center onto the clear template(mark what boot & size) for future mounts

Gotcha. Will test that prior to drilling at current dimples. Makes total sense - thank you.

Thanks for helping too 3Pin
    Uno mas

I used same technique with Rainey jig with pin line - measure pin line to boot center, mark that measurement forward of ski center, put jig at that line and you’re mounting boot center at ski center
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Somewhat embarrassing given the # of AXL mounts I’ve done I’ve consistently ignored the pin line and spun my own varying degrees of voodoo into the process. That said I am not overly concerned about a +/- 1cm margin of error.....

Update - I was back about .6cm (guessed .3 above) so going to move up 1/4 of an inch and call it a day!

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Doremite; 11-24-2020 at 03:40 PM.
    Uno mas

Gotcha. Will test that prior to drilling at current dimples. Makes total sense - thank you.

Thanks for helping too 3Pin
    You're welcome.
    Jealous man. Wish I could still tele.
    Sweet looking setup.

Probably should sell off all my tele gear

Alright. I searched and found a few hits on this, but not enough to feel totally comfortable. I'm trying to mount my own fucking skis.

I'm buying a wintersteiger bit. Ski calls out for a 3.6x9.5. Hard to find bits right now. Can I get away with a 3.5x9.5? Read someplace that 3.5 makes the screws harder to start. I'm guessing they are interchangeable, but if I should be getting a 3.6 to match the callout on the ski (K2 Marksman) lemme know.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Alright. I searched and found a few hits on this, but not enough to feel totally comfortable. I'm trying to mount my own fucking skis.

I'm buying a wintersteiger bit. Ski calls out for a 3.6x9.5. Hard to find bits right now. Can I get away with a 3.5x9.5? Read someplace that 3.5 makes the screws harder to start. I'm guessing they are interchangeable, but if I should be getting a 3.6 to match the callout on the ski (K2 Marksman) lemme know.

Thanks.
    3.5 will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post

Thanks.
    I ordered a 3.6 bit at slidewright and it was out of stock. He swapped it to a 3.5 without asking me which to me means they're equal. We're talking about 0.1 mm here hah

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

another jong question - i can't find this anywhere on BD's website, but i'm mounting a pair of Cirque84's and they have a titanal mounting plate; does that mean i need to use 4.1 or can i use 3.5/3.6mm drill bit?

You're welcome.
    Jealous man. Wish I could still tele.
    Sweet looking setup.

Probably should sell off all my tele gear
    Sorry to hear, Tuco. Smaller terrain here in Northern VT with lots of tree skiing keeps the telemark interesting for me. I actually find it easier on the joints and lower back than alpine (ymmv). Knees?

Stoked on the Woodsmans and trying to find kid free window to put the drill on ‘em. Hope we get the snow to enjoy ‘em this season. Have both Wren and Woods 96 set up telemark as well and find myself satisfied with that ski width more often than I’d like to.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    another jong question - i can't find this anywhere on BD's website, but i'm mounting a pair of Cirque84's and they have a titanal mounting plate; does that mean i need to use 4.1 or can i use 3.5/3.6mm drill bit?
    Others may have more confidence in their reply but you should be fine at 3.5/3.6. It may just be a bitch getting the screws down but if you can hand crank them in flush you aren’t at any death risk. 4.1 likely will just make it less of a process.
    Uno mas

Others may have more confidence in their reply but you should be fine at 3.5/3.6. It may just be a bitch getting the screws down but if you can hand crank them in flush you aren’t at any death risk. 4.1 likely will just make it less of a process.
    super helpful, thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    super helpful, thanks man
    May want to drill a single hole and give it a test spin before drilling 16 holes to find out they are all too small. You can always hit ‘em w a 4.1 after the fact. I’ve had some screw wrestling matches that likely could have been avoided using a slightly larger bit size.
    Uno mas