Page 141 of 151 FirstFirst ... 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,525 of 3762
    I have dealt with screws that were epoxied into a ski for a long cure period that didn't wana budge but it would seem that with a short 1 day cure the epoxy hasn't quite bonded to the screw and its possible to just crank it down. One could also rub some wax or lube on the screw threads to keep the epoxy from sticking to the screw

Just hit any stuck screw with some heat, 10-20 sec with a soldering iron, another method if you can't get a soldering iron on the screw or don't have an iron is to turn a 1/4 drillbit BACKWARDS in the drill chuck and run the shank at high speed on the screw head, the friction will heat that screw and break the epoxy bond

never done a heli coil or insert, cuz I don't have that stuff, but i got FG and epoxy, I have had to fix a lot of things with whatever was lying around, IME this is a no brainer method of fixing a spinner.

one should try to contribute to a tech tip forum eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Mounted my skis W/ CAST system.

Semi-successfully this time. Unbeknownst to me, a Jigarex arm was slightly off so had to remount on one ski :| but that's on me.

Unfortunately, have a single spinner in a heel. Headed out a trip with these skis tomorrow so no chance to get JB+FG/Helicoil (No Helicoil or Fiberglass on hand). Besides imminent death, are there any issues with skiing this ski a couple days? Will mostly be backcountry skiing. If there is, probably will ski a day or two and then see if I can drop it off at a shop and hopefully they can do a quick remount+fix. I have JB weld so I may try that as well if I can get some fiberglass
    Last edited by nyskirat; 02-07-2020 at 05:29 PM.
    For Sale:

Dynastar Legend Factory 115 mounted 1x for 306mm Look Pivot

Steeple 102 in a 184 mounted 1x for 302 Kingpins (mounting insert mishap though)

Salomon Ghost 130 (Orange and Black Model Year) 26.5

POC Auric Cut BC Spin XL

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...90#post5923890

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

JB weld without the fibreglass would be better than nothing at all....Iíd drip some in then try to snug up the screw without spinning it.

Do the JB Weld. My main concern for a few days of pow touring would be water sealing - unless you're one of those guys who cracks boots and breaks skis all the time.

The Pivot heel distributes the force amongst its 4 holes more evenly than a typical heel does (unsubstantiated guesswork on my part, BTW).

Regarding removing screws after the FG/epoxy fix I don't dee a difference between it and a regular mount with use of epoxy. I've had to use the soldering iron method on maybe 50% of the screws. The others, I could barely get by without it. G-Flex 650 is amazing stuff - very flexible after curing.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191204_065940.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	314513Pozi w/ nut on shank makes a huge difference on stuck screws(still use heat).
    Fiberglass wool, ie insulation, works well for spinner holes too.

Folks were raving about JB weld, its always available in the cheap glue section at home hardware so I tried some and IME its shitty for filling screw holes cuz its a paste so it doesnt really drip into a screw hole , it isn't going to combine/wet out a filler, i didn't like the silver color, I imagine it wouldn't get into a ski core repair very well either if thats your application but JB would probably be great for filling gaps like that big core shot that you just gona wax right over or in this situation it might be < nothing

I don't always know how a binding was mounted but I'm pretty sure screws that were just mount ed with wood glue get stuck so I try to remember to use the heat just as soon as I realize a screw is not moving & before the head is phucked, I've stripped a screw head and had to just cut the head off flush with the ski but it was a telemark mount so moving a mount half an inch made no decernable difference and it probably skied better or worse

how many times have you heard someone say " uh, like whats a pozi-drive bra ? "

Agree about JB Weld in general.

To clarify, my only reason for saying he should do it is that he would probably use something even more subject to water penetration as a short term solution. Guys in a panicked rush on their way to pow ;-)

Poster ... maybe you have some Titebond-III (is that the indoor/outdoor version?)
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Just did these for an amigo. Helio 105s w/ Tectons. First time Iíve dealt with Tectons, thoseíre interesting bindings.
    Attachment 313493
    Like em? Might buy some. The bindings. Iím not a fan of the skis.

Mounted my own fucking skis, craigslist find GPOs with inserts for Tectons at -1. Already got to take them on a hut trip + some resort days and very satisfied. Great all around setup for soft snow.

Name:	IMG_20200208_172130.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	314640

Holes were drilled...very accurately

Name:	IMG_20200119_173618.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	314641

jb weld, with metal repairs it works ok

can't think of a worthy ski fix for the product

the g flex works very well from maintenance to major repairs, would recommend for everything in between

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Agree about JB Weld in general.

To clarify, my only reason for saying he should do it is that he would probably use something even more subject to water penetration as a short term solution. Guys in a panicked rush on their way to pow ;-)

Poster ... maybe you have some Titebond-III (is that the indoor/outdoor version?)
    Ha. I did use glue for all screws so hopefully thatíll keep out some water.

I may try to source some epoxy and FG here tomorrow

Eh, I don't see that much difference between JB and other 2-part epoxies (e.g. Marine Tex) for skis. JB is usually easier for me to find and easy to eyeball the mix (1:1 instead of 1:5 or whatever). I use a finish nail to fill the holes, it works fine.

Would you ever see jb in a real wood shop ?

And btw the eh goes at the the back eh

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Eh, I don't see that much difference between JB and other 2-part epoxies (e.g. Marine Tex) for skis. JB is usually easier for me to find and easy to eyeball the mix (1:1 instead of 1:5 or whatever). I use a finish nail to fill the holes, it works fine.
    JB Weld and especially marine Tex are not the same as lower viscosity epoxies. Marine Tex is like a putty(think boat repairs) and JB a gel.
    I've filled plenty of screw holes w/ JB Weld. Guarantee it's a better seal than a glued in plastic plug(I use those too tho). Wet the hole out as best as possible and fill hole. I use the 5 min shit for this so you don't have to wait forever for curing to start. When catalyzation begins and JB still malleable, take a tamper the diameter of your hole and compress into hole. This should fill hole most of the way up. Then just topcoat w/ more JB.
    I've never fixed a spinner with JB, but see no reason why a serviceable repair could not be made(although I would encourage doing it proper the 1st time).

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Like em? Might buy some. The bindings. I’m not a fan of the skis.
    Those weren’t mine. The guy was stoked on them tho. The thread about the bindings here on TRG has some stories about breakage, but I thought they’re pretty clever bindings and I’m considering getting some.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ritschi-Tecton
    And I guess that I just don't know

Anyone got advice for mounting pin bindings? I've mounted up a handful of pivots and aaatacks without much trouble. But someone at a shop was telling me about how much trickier pin bindings are—something about how being just a bit misaligned can cause pre-releases. Got me a bit worried, but this thread has been a wealth of info.

I use paper templates and a drill (though it's possible I could get access to a drill press if I have to). Looking to mount up a pair of dynafit rotations.

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield View Post
    Anyone got advice for mounting pin bindings? I've mounted up a handful of pivots and aaatacks without much trouble. But someone at a shop was telling me about how much trickier pin bindings areósomething about how being just a bit misaligned can cause pre-releases. Got me a bit worried, but this thread has been a wealth of info.

I use paper templates and a drill (though it's possible I could get access to a drill press if I have to). Looking to mount up a pair of dynafit rotations.
    Drill press wont make a difference... what will is making sure your holes are very accurately located... so take your time with your centre punch and make sure your template is aligned straight and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Like em? Might buy some. The bindings. Iím not a fan of the skis.
    I have been skiing them for two seasons now and like them a lot. Lighter than shifts or kingpins and I have never had a pre release at my "chart" DIN. I ski them in bounds a bunch and forget they aren't an alpine binding.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield View Post
    Anyone got advice for mounting pin bindings? I've mounted up a handful of pivots and aaatacks without much trouble. But someone at a shop was telling me about how much trickier pin bindings are—something about how being just a bit misaligned can cause pre-releases. Got me a bit worried, but this thread has been a wealth of info.

Eh. Getting the toe and heel aligned is maybe a bit more important than it is with an alpine binding, but it's still not rocket surgery. You'll be fine.

If you want to be really careful about alignment (depending on the binding you're mounting), mount the toe, then click the boot into it, slide the heel piece pins into the boot from behind, and set the heel piece down on the ski. Use that to check the hole locations. Works better with some bindings than others, depending how much the heel piece covers the screws.

What works for me (including race bindings with no heel adjustment) is to carefully mount the toe with the template, click the boot in, line up the heel in the boot and make sure it's aligned properly and the heel gap looks right. Mark the holes, drill and screw one hole, click the boot in and make sure it's still good. Take out the boot and drill the rest.

You can also start the other way - mount the heel first, then use the boot and binding to line up the toe.

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Holes were drilled...very accurately
    Lol, that's how I do it, except I use a collet instead of a chuck. It's also handy to use a 1/4" end mill if you're doing inserts in holes that were originally done with a jig, so you end up with a square pattern that's centered on the ski (assuming the jig holes aren't too far off and are within the 1/4").

Lemmie know if you want my measurements/coordinates for Salomon & Fritschi, the popular templates tend to round to the nearest mm. Which is fine for wood screws, but can be noticeable if using inserts.

Just picked up some J Skis metals at their warehouse sale. Does anyone know what the mounts are? Looks like Telemark but I'm not totally sure

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Teenaged View Post
    Just picked up some J Skis metals at their warehouse sale. Does anyone know what the mounts are? Looks like Telemark but I'm not totally sure

13 holes, I think that's what the Meidjo has. Which yes, is tele. Looks like it could be that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wawawa View Post
    13 holes, I think that's what the Meidjo has. Which yes, is tele. Looks like it could be that.
    So 13 holes for a single mount? Damn I thought it was a weird 1.5x mount situation. Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Teenaged View Post
    So 13 holes for a single mount? Damn I thought it was a weird 1.5x mount situation. Thanks for the info

Yeah, it's pretty over the top. Some modern tele bindings have 11 holes, and some have 8, but Meidjos take the cake.