Page 138 of 274 FirstFirst ... 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 ... LastLast
Results 3,426 to 3,450 of 6838
    Ready for tomorrow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8518.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	309600

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Yes. I've been working on this for a while. I'm ironing out a couple design tweaks and CNC issues for production and should have more ready within a week:

Find your ski center in seconds:

• Place the SkiScribe diagonally on the top of the ski with the pegs against the edges in front of the binding toe piece.
    • Run the SkiScribe down the edge or make tick marks with a SHARP pencil in the center holder creating a line matching the ski's contour.
    • Rotate the SkiScribe and repeat on the other edge.
    • Repeat behind the binding heel piece.
    • Double check Ski Edge to closest line on each side for a match. Adjust if necessary.
    • Split the difference between the two lines and mark the center in front & rear locations.
    • Draw a centerline with a straight edge.
    • Place binding template or jig on ceter line and Boot Sole Center (BSL)

The center hole I'm considering is 5/16"/8mm all the way through instead of the 2mm one shown. This is larger than a pencil diameter and wrapping tape around a pencil will remove slop.

It can also be used to align the tap vertically (especially a Snoli Threadcutter). Since SkiScribe is made out of wood DO NOT use it as a drill guide.

As an aside, it also works OK as a true bar.

There are two 'rulers' laser etched into the sides. One is the same as the SlideWright Centering Ruler Sticker. The other is a new ruler to measure from the Ski Edge to the Center. The two options provide unlimited uses, including the following:

• The Centering Ruler can quickly ballpark ski width and center relative to the ski edges at any given changing width down the ski. This can give quick reference for centerline location.
    • Measure center between two screw holes and their layout
    • Measure screw lengths directly or installed length from top of binding
    • Locate the center of odd shape or linear items up to 140mm/5 1/2"
    • A handy tool for countless uses beyond skis
    Any update on when these will be available? About to order some stuff. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Should do fine. There's a bunch of other crap in there, but it's mostly acetone.
    Rubbing alcohol would probably do fine too, though it's not as aggressive as the acetone.
    Double check the contents list on the cosmetic acetone. I came across a bottle that had avacado oil listed.

Can anyone with more smarts than me tell me how far the holes would be to remount a pair of skis w the same binding from a 325 to a 300mm BSL? Any concerns with the holes being too close?

Sounds like about 12.5mm apart.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Can anyone with more smarts than me tell me how far the holes would be to remount a pair of skis w the same binding from a 325 to a 300mm BSL? Any concerns with the holes being too close?
    Edited: Oops. Somehow I read that as 325 to 330, not 300.
    Yeah 12.5mm.
    But depending on the binding pattern, the "outer" holes may be closer to the inner holes than the original "outer" set. [Thus your concern may not be with, for example, the "new" back screws for the heels interfering with the old back holes for the heel - but with the "new" back heel screws interfering with the "old" front screws holes.. I can't think of a pattern I know off-hand that's that close, but it's a factor to consider.] (I'm having a terrible time writing the description clearly - sorry for all the edits!)

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    What the others said, well that is, if you wanna keep the 300 boot center in the same location as the 325 was. Do you? If not, the equation needs some tweaking...

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Edited: Oops. Somehow I read that as 325 to 330, not 300.
    Yeah 12.5mm.
    But depending on the binding pattern, the "outer" holes may be closer to the inner holes than the original "outer" set. [Thus your concern may not be with, for example, the "new" back screws for the heels interfering with the old back holes for the heel - but with the "new" back heel screws interfering with the "old" front screws holes.. I can't think of a pattern I know off-hand that's that close, but it's a factor to consider.] (I'm having a terrible time writing the description clearly - sorry for all the edits!)
    Let the radius from the center of the hole to the center of the torus tube be c, and the radius of the tube be a. Then the equation in Cartesian coordinates for a torus azimuthally symmetric about the z-axis is
    (c-sqrt(x^2+y^2))^2+z^2=a^2,
    and the parametric equations are
    x = (c+acosv)cosu

y = (c+acosv)sinu

z = asinv

for u,v in [0,2pi). Three types of torus, known as the standard tori, are possible, depending on the relative sizes of a and c. c>a corresponds to the ring torus (shown above), c=a corresponds to a horn torus which is tangent to itself at the point (0, 0, 0), and c<a corresponds to a self-intersecting spindle torus.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Depending what you want to do with mount point you could potentially get away with moving just the toe or just the heel too. Obviously bindings with a larger BSL adjustment, and a desire for a bit of a departure on boot center would make that more viable.

I'd like to mount them on the line for a 300mm BSL for a Shift that was previously mounted on the line for same binding for a 325 BSL. Also, any overlap issue w the middle nubbon dealie?

Just remount 'em then. 12.5mm center to center isn't bad at all.

Sorry, I'm like a broken record. I just love this article and the fact that it's the only experiment I've seen that produced quantifiable results re: hole proximity vs pullout strength. 7mm center to center hole spacing and you get near 100% pullout strength.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/qc-lab-remounting-previously-drilled-skis/qc-lab-remounting-previously-drilled-skis.html

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Sorry, I'm like a broken record. I just love this article and the fact that it's the only experiment I've seen that produced quantifiable results re: hole proximity vs pullout strength. 7mm center to center hole spacing and you get near 100% pullout strength.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/qc-lab-remounting-previously-drilled-skis/qc-lab-remounting-previously-drilled-skis.html
    That's a cool article! But super limited info on the actual process. How did they test pullout strength? Did the ski they mount have a metal layer (presumably not since they used a 3.5mm bit)?

Note also that they mention the ski they use is known to be particularly burly, so 7mm is probably best case scenario (e.g. absolute minimum center to center distance).

I have a beater pair I should do this on...I just need a force meter or hanging scale or something to measure the pullout force.

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    I have a beater pair I should do this on...I just need a force meter or hanging scale or something to measure the pullout force.
    Please do this! It'd be great to see results, especially if they are vastly different from the BD experiment.

Mounted up some low tide play things
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	head93.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	604.3 KB 
ID:	309799
    "bound to cover just a little more ground"

quick question:
    I'm in the process of mounting some Dynafit TLT Radical (I guess, at leat they match this template https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ufm...c4h2RAihK/view)

-> after mounting: how much space do I leave between metal peace of the boot heal an the "head" of the binder? Or what diameter can I use instead of the official adjustment stick? (referring to this page 5: http://lequeyrassin.free.fr/TLT/Dyna...%20montage.pdf)

Thanks a lot!

^ 5.5mm

thats ^^ like 3 nickles eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Canadian nickel 1.76mm x 3 = 5.28mm
    American nickel 1.95mm x 3 = 5.85mm
    American quarter 1.75mm x 3 = 5.25mm

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Canadian nickel 1.76mm x 3 = 5.28mm
    American nickel 1.55mm x 3 = 5.85mm
    American quarter 1.75mm x 3 = 5.25mm
    A-

Check yer math

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    A-

Check yer math
    oops. It was a typo, now corrected, not bad math. American nickel 1.95mm x 3 = 5.85mm

if its really that important buddy should have a proper gauge but really 3 nickles is probably close enough
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I use the back end of drill bits for this job. Adjust to just fit a 5.5 mm, verify with 5.0 (loose fit) and 6.0 (no go).

I'm sure there are matching murrican non metric bits that would fit the same purpose.

5mm hex key with ski flattened on bench works. I recall reading somewhere that Dynafit's spec is +/- 0.5mm

thank you - I think I will go for the drill bits.