Page 136 of 143 FirstFirst ... 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,400 of 3575
    Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Yeah. Chuck the screw in a drill and reduce the diameter (not the height) of the head against a file/die grinder/belt sander.

The stock screws are small heads, which have become unobtanium in M5 screws for inserts.
    Noticeable difference pre and post grind. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2512.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	387.3 KB 
ID:	308640

Name:	IMG_2529.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	316.6 KB 
ID:	308639

Maybe you took a short cut and it worked OR

https://www.google.com/search?client...&bih=632&dpr=1

Image result ^^ for the swiss cheese model

Swiss cheesing a ski is actulay the perfect analogy for " the swiss cheese model " for failure, in the Swiss cheese model, an organisation's defenses against failure are modeled as a series of barriers, represented as slices of cheese. The holes in the slices represent weaknesses in individual parts of the system and are continually varying in size and position across the slices.

Also works for HW failure, car accidents, the 737 MAX or anywhere you might get away with 1 mistake but 3 happen at once maybe you are FUBARed ?

I have seen a ski swiss cheesed to destruction, buddy had elongating existing binding screw holes to put cants under the binding AND it was a foam core slalom ski AND he was a 280lb wild man with banzai ski style AND it was a very steep mogul field AND the ski snapped clean in half ... when all the AND s lined up the ski failed

Take away any AND , maybe the ski would not have broke

which is why best practices help avoid failure
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Iím gonna throw in support for Titebond III:
    It flexes; it adheres to wood appropriately; it is waterproof.

Agree on the Swiss cheese model ó thereís a point at which youíve created weaknesses in the original matrix that act as catalysts for failure. Pretending a specific glue solves this is deluding oneself. All weíre doing with filling holes is helping create a solidity that helps prevent a screw pullout, no more. It isnít helping the skiís continuity as a structure.

What are those? Not recognizing the topsheet. Looks like some metal in there, from the chips?
    Looks like a Kastle FX106 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Iím gonna throw in support for Titebond III:
    It flexes; it adheres to wood appropriately; it is waterproof.

Agree on the Swiss cheese model ó thereís a point at which youíve created weaknesses in the original matrix that act as catalysts for failure. Pretending a specific glue solves this is deluding oneself. All weíre doing with filling holes is helping create a solidity that helps prevent a screw pullout, no more. It isnít helping the skiís continuity as a structure.
    My biggest concern with Swiss cheese would be the inability to flex the same way as a continuous piece of wood. As far as strength goes, the glue is stronger than the wood anyway.

I was looking for a link to back up that claim and stumbled across the following: https://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/glue.html . Not sure how scientific that is, but it's pretty fuckin interesting in the context of all the above flack.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ergo we could just build skis out of glue ?

or is that what a foam core ski is ?

and how much do we love that ?

what exactly is strongth any way ?

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    https://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/glue.html . Not sure how scientific that is, but it's pretty fuckin interesting in the context of all the above flack.
    From the foot notes of the citation above.:
    I have since found out that 48 hours at 18 degrees may not be enough time for epoxy to reach its full strength, so my results may not be representative of fully cured epoxy glue.
    The test I reference above tested TB-III (Tite Bond III) in a wet environment. I know TB claims it's waterproof, but the tests I've seen show very poor performance in wet environments. How applicable those tests are to plugging ski mounts is debatable. I just know I'd never use TB in any situation where I expected any moisture in any application.

If you're interested - see this at the 12:10 mark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoaTZY5cSQE

The TLDR version is: The TB-III (and TB-II and regular TB) test pieces were simply left outdoors in the rain/snow/cold/frost. The test blocks failed, mostly, before they could even be put into the load-test apparatus.

Still all that said - how all that testing applies in this particular application is pretty unknown.

I appreciate the extra research and clarification. I think the tests aren't ever going to apply perfectly to this application.

My only research = several years of bindings going on and off the ski with no spinners on the 4 holes in question. That said, I don't think the adhesive matters much for that purpose as long as the dowels stay put.

Next throw away ski I have, maybe I'll do a few pull out tests with overlapping screw holes. I'll be more careful this time as the last time I failed a pull out test, it was very costly. Screw holes didn't overlap in that case , thankfully.

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Wet and/or cold will certainly not help bonding/curing

I suspect the vid was not anywhere near recommended conditions

Winter garage temps certainly not recommended for curing your skis ó get them inside to cure overnight

So I canít remember where I posted my kids SL race skis getting screwed up.

Anyway. Got a deal on new skis (shop I bought them from not the shop that dimpled the bases). Had shop I bought skis from mount the new SL skis. Little rubber foot wasnít in place on jig so holes were 3 mm to the left on both skis.

Set number 3 on the way....these are free.

MOUNT YOUR OWN FUCKING SKIS.

wife now on board w me doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Don't most kids race skis have raceplates?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Don't most kids race skis have raceplates?
    Pretty sure that's where the saga started. First shop mounted without said plates and dimpled the bases.

Oh my. The skis come from the factory with plates, who would take of a plate from a race ski then try to mount them flat? I guess this shop did, but that's crazy.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Indeed. Mount your own fuckin' skis, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    My biggest concern with Swiss cheese would be the inability to flex the same way as a continuous piece of wood. As far as strength goes, the glue is stronger than the wood anyway.

I was looking for a link to back up that claim and stumbled across the following: https://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/glue.html . Not sure how scientific that is, but it's pretty fuckin interesting in the context of all the above flack.

Not very scientific and buddy was talking about ww glue 2 pieces of wood togetehr and do a shear test on the joint which is not ski mounting,

ski mounting would be different again than even ski building

The very smallest sizes (129 in this case) come w ďliftersĒ that are mounted w longer screws beneath the bindings. If you add a plate the kid isnít heavy enough to flex them.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

What are those? Not recognizing the topsheet. Looks like some metal in there, from the chips?
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYBOYMATTHEW View Post
    Looks like a Kastle FX106 HP.
    Yep. Pretty stoked so far

Name:	IMG_4906.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	308816

It was touch and go. Mounted yet another pair of sticks last night. Hell, it was so gnarly, I had to drink two beers.

Name:	QmgZ9Ij.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	308964

Name:	s5buKby.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	308965

Think snow, you maggots!

Looks like you were shiyterz. Youíve mounted one to the bench. Double ipa no doubt.

Mounted the atris for my wife. She should be stoked.

Name:	IMG_0159.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	309130

Re-finding center line. I use one of these and mark 2 inches in from each side (on 108 mm width ski) at 3 or 4 points up the ski and then it’s super easy to just mark the center between each of the two marks you make and straight line on the center marks.

Name:	IMG_0160.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	309131

Finding center geometrically with a compass is super easy and unless you're using a micrometer potentially more accurate.
    Take your compass Trammell rod what have you and set it a distance more than half way. Spin your compass and draw a semi circle. Then go to the opposite side of the ski. With the compass set at the same width from an opposite but corresponding location draw the same but opposite semi circle. At the two points of intersection you have your centerline... Double check with a ruler should be good to go.

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Finding center geometrically with a compass is super easy and unless you're using a micrometer potentially more accurate.
    Take your compass Trammell rod what have you and set it a distance more than half way. Spin your compass and draw a semi circle. Then go to the opposite side of the ski. With the compass set at the same width from an opposite but corresponding location draw the same but opposite semi circle. At the two points of intersection you have your centerline... Double check with a ruler should be good to go.

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk
    The last time I tried this technique, I had trouble finding reliable, repeatable points to pivot the compass about. What did you use for your "opposite but corresponding location"? The ledge formed by the ski's edge? What did you reference your ruler to when verifying? Several people I know use edge of the top sheet, but that's too variable for my tastes.

On a related note, I picked up a pair of combo squares last week. I haven't used them yet, but the concept looks as solid as it's reported to being.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    The last time I tried this technique, I had trouble finding reliable, repeatable points to pivot the compass about. What did you use for your "opposite but corresponding location"? The ledge formed by the ski's edge? What did you reference your ruler to when verifying? Several people I know use edge of the top sheet, but that's too variable for my tastes.
    I make sure the ski is flat on the bench, and put the compass point on the bottom of the edge where it meets the bench.

My last few mounts I did without templates, I just used a combo square to get a reliable measurement from the base edge and then adjusted so that calipers were on center for each screw hole from either side. Top sheets would have given me a different result by a millimeter or two.

On that note, how many of you think you can tell when a binding is a millimeter or two off the center line?

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Mounted the atris for my wife. She should be stoked.

Name:	IMG_0159.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	309130

Re-finding center line. I use one of these and mark 2 inches in from each side (on 108 mm width ski) at 3 or 4 points up the ski and then itís super easy to just mark the center between each of the two marks you make and straight line on the center marks.

Name:	IMG_0160.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	309131
    Why not just trace the triangle from both sides and Mark where they intersect?

I don't think anyone could feel 1 mm

Cool ! an even simpler way to mark ski center ^^ hold the T square against the steel edges, draw the 45 degree lines and where they intersect will be ski center so NO measuring but its always good to check by measuring

And so you have realized a template is really not necessary, IME one can just use the actual binding as the template for the holes, the bigger question is where to put those pieces fore-aft on the ski ?

For the toe its easier, so I find and mark the boot center on the boot, I use the square on ski top to line the boot center up with ski center or where ever I want boot center to be on the ski, mark and drill

After the toe where to mount the heel is more of a head scratcher, or more acurately where to have the rear binding in its adjustment range when you drill is where a template is nice but not necessary, take/make the measurement between front and rear screw holes the same on either ski, if I can measure that distance on a shop mounted ski that the binding had been mounted on I will use that