Page 136 of 274 FirstFirst ... 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,400 of 6840

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Wet and/or cold will certainly not help bonding/curing

I suspect the vid was not anywhere near recommended conditions

Winter garage temps certainly not recommended for curing your skis — get them inside to cure overnight

So I can’t remember where I posted my kids SL race skis getting screwed up.

Anyway. Got a deal on new skis (shop I bought them from not the shop that dimpled the bases). Had shop I bought skis from mount the new SL skis. Little rubber foot wasn’t in place on jig so holes were 3 mm to the left on both skis.

Set number 3 on the way....these are free.

MOUNT YOUR OWN FUCKING SKIS.

wife now on board w me doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Don't most kids race skis have raceplates?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Don't most kids race skis have raceplates?
    Pretty sure that's where the saga started. First shop mounted without said plates and dimpled the bases.

Oh my. The skis come from the factory with plates, who would take of a plate from a race ski then try to mount them flat? I guess this shop did, but that's crazy.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Indeed. Mount your own fuckin' skis, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    My biggest concern with Swiss cheese would be the inability to flex the same way as a continuous piece of wood. As far as strength goes, the glue is stronger than the wood anyway.

I was looking for a link to back up that claim and stumbled across the following: https://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/glue.html . Not sure how scientific that is, but it's pretty fuckin interesting in the context of all the above flack.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Not very scientific and buddy was talking about ww glue 2 pieces of wood togetehr and do a shear test on the joint which is not ski mounting,

ski mounting would be different again than even ski building
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The very smallest sizes (129 in this case) come w “lifters” that are mounted w longer screws beneath the bindings. If you add a plate the kid isn’t heavy enough to flex them.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    What are those? Not recognizing the topsheet. Looks like some metal in there, from the chips?
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYBOYMATTHEW View Post
    Looks like a Kastle FX106 HP.
    Yep. Pretty stoked so far
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4906.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	308816

It was touch and go. Mounted yet another pair of sticks last night. Hell, it was so gnarly, I had to drink two beers.

Name:	QmgZ9Ij.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	308964

Name:	s5buKby.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	308965

Think snow, you maggots!

Looks like you were shiyterz. You’ve mounted one to the bench. Double ipa no doubt.

Mounted the atris for my wife. She should be stoked.

Name:	IMG_0159.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	309130

Re-finding center line. I use one of these and mark 2 inches in from each side (on 108 mm width ski) at 3 or 4 points up the ski and then it’s super easy to just mark the center between each of the two marks you make and straight line on the center marks.

Name:	IMG_0160.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	309131

Finding center geometrically with a compass is super easy and unless you're using a micrometer potentially more accurate.
    Take your compass Trammell rod what have you and set it a distance more than half way. Spin your compass and draw a semi circle. Then go to the opposite side of the ski. With the compass set at the same width from an opposite but corresponding location draw the same but opposite semi circle. At the two points of intersection you have your centerline... Double check with a ruler should be good to go.

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Finding center geometrically with a compass is super easy and unless you're using a micrometer potentially more accurate.
    Take your compass Trammell rod what have you and set it a distance more than half way. Spin your compass and draw a semi circle. Then go to the opposite side of the ski. With the compass set at the same width from an opposite but corresponding location draw the same but opposite semi circle. At the two points of intersection you have your centerline... Double check with a ruler should be good to go.

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk
    The last time I tried this technique, I had trouble finding reliable, repeatable points to pivot the compass about. What did you use for your "opposite but corresponding location"? The ledge formed by the ski's edge? What did you reference your ruler to when verifying? Several people I know use edge of the top sheet, but that's too variable for my tastes.

On a related note, I picked up a pair of combo squares last week. I haven't used them yet, but the concept looks as solid as it's reported to being.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    The last time I tried this technique, I had trouble finding reliable, repeatable points to pivot the compass about. What did you use for your "opposite but corresponding location"? The ledge formed by the ski's edge? What did you reference your ruler to when verifying? Several people I know use edge of the top sheet, but that's too variable for my tastes.
    I make sure the ski is flat on the bench, and put the compass point on the bottom of the edge where it meets the bench.

My last few mounts I did without templates, I just used a combo square to get a reliable measurement from the base edge and then adjusted so that calipers were on center for each screw hole from either side. Top sheets would have given me a different result by a millimeter or two.

On that note, how many of you think you can tell when a binding is a millimeter or two off the center line?

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Mounted the atris for my wife. She should be stoked.

Name:	IMG_0159.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	309130

Re-finding center line. I use one of these and mark 2 inches in from each side (on 108 mm width ski) at 3 or 4 points up the ski and then it’s super easy to just mark the center between each of the two marks you make and straight line on the center marks.

Name:	IMG_0160.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	309131
    Why not just trace the triangle from both sides and Mark where they intersect?

I don't think anyone could feel 1 mm

Cool ! an even simpler way to mark ski center ^^ hold the T square against the steel edges, draw the 45 degree lines and where they intersect will be ski center so NO measuring but its always good to check by measuring

And so you have realized a template is really not necessary, IME one can just use the actual binding as the template for the holes, the bigger question is where to put those pieces fore-aft on the ski ?

For the toe its easier, so I find and mark the boot center on the boot, I use the square on ski top to line the boot center up with ski center or where ever I want boot center to be on the ski, mark and drill

After the toe where to mount the heel is more of a head scratcher, or more acurately where to have the rear binding in its adjustment range when you drill is where a template is nice but not necessary, take/make the measurement between front and rear screw holes the same on either ski, if I can measure that distance on a shop mounted ski that the binding had been mounted on I will use that

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I don't think anyone could feel 1 mm

Cool ! an even simpler way to mark ski center ^^ hold the T square against the steel edges, draw the 45 degree lines and where they intersect will be ski center so NO measuring but its always good to check by measuring

And so you have realized a template is really not necessary, IME one can just use the actual binding as the template for the holes, the bigger question is where to put those pieces fore-aft on the ski ?

For the toe its easier, so I find and mark the boot center on the boot, I use the square on ski top to line the boot center up with ski center or where ever I want boot center to be on the ski, mark and drill

After the toe where to mount the heel is more of a head scratcher, or more acurately where to have the rear binding in its adjustment range when you drill is where a template is nice but not necessary, take/make the measurement between front and rear screw holes the same on either ski, if I can measure that distance on a shop mounted ski that the binding had been mounted on I will use that
    Yep, that's exactly what I do when it comes to boot center and toe piece. If it's a ski that my kid (27.5) and wife (25.5) might share, I'll cheat him a half cm back of center and her a half cm forward (i.e. mount the ski for a 303 - 305mm-ish shell). I find that if I clamp the toe piece where I want it and slide the engaged heel piece onto the back of the boot with hand pressure with the binding near the upper end of it's adjustment range for the 27.5 boot, it leaves a few extra clicks of adjustment by the time forward pressure is set, and plenty of range to accommodate the shorter boot ( assuming the typical 20-24mm adjustment range).

What a fucking terrible run-on sentence. Hopefully that made sense.

yeah I take a size 24 so I got a small BSL so I tend to mount the heel piece track further back to accomadate a longer BSL in the case someone wants to use them in future but really the only thing I am very interested in knowing is the measurement between front and rear screw holes

I am mounting usually on a 185 so with a shorter BSL I will be mounting closer to the boot center than the usual 185 on a ski that is also longer which is a better situ than a tall or big person wtih big feet

Really ski mounting is all just good layout so if you understand what is going on a template isnt so necessary

I watched a carpenter buddy mount my skis, he had been a ski tech/ mounted thousands of ski back in the day but this was free hand and he was pretty fast

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post

Why not just trace the triangle from both sides and Mark where they intersect?

I get paranoid I won’t be at same point and the side cut will screw me. But that’s reasonable

You skiing today. It’s good.

All these methods of finding center boil down to the mounter eyeballing two spots opposite each other (side to side) on the ski: creating a “perpendicular” line to set up the measure, even the jigs aren’t foolproof in this regard

The further apart you make your center marks on the ski, the more centered your centerline will be, assuming symmetrical edge cuts inside/outside

I would draw a line across the ski with the T-square (from both sides if sidecut worries you ) and that line is where you start your 45 degree lines

Always check it with the t-square before you drill anything

I only tape the middle of the ski with painters tape for marking it. I am clearly doing it wrong as I see how that would work. Goals for next time

If you’re not finding your center down to the atomic level you’ll never be a good skier.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    I only tape the middle of the ski with painters tape for marking it. I am clearly doing it wrong as I see how that would work. Goals for next time
    tape it anywhere you are marking holes, even if you cover the whole top of the ski a roll of painters tape is like 2$