Page 123 of 274 FirstFirst ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 6831
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidTexan View Post
    Heres my question. I can still see a tiny sliver of light in between the base plate and skis In the middle, maybe .1mm, but both tips of the baseplate are touching the ski. Is there any tolerance for this or should they always be sucked down completely flush?
    Flush is the goal, but don’t worry too much if it isn’t. It happens often. Ought to be fine as long as one corner or side is not standing off kilter or a screw has visible threads between plate and ski.

One of my toe screws (Tyrolia Aattack 13 on Elan Ripstick 106) is stripped out and rusted. Looking for some advice on how to repair???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191203_115656.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	304597

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    One of my toe screws (Tyrolia Aattack 13 on Elan Ripstick 106) is stripped out and rusted. Looking for some advice on how to repair???
    IMO;
    Easiest. Probably a new screw. [Rust in the hole isn't a good sign - one wonders how much water penetrated the core. But not much you can do about it now.] Epoxy+choppped fiberglass. Jam in the hole and make sure the hole is full of epoxy. Let cure 24-48H. You'll probably want to trim the excess hanging out of the hole - chisel or oscillating multi-tool, etc. Drill+tap again. Wet screw/hole with more epoxy and screw down. Perhaps leave just shy of fully tight, and tighten down, fully, after 24-48H.

Next easiest - for me at least - an insert. One looks wonky, but would be fine.

As noted though, worried about the core integrity and ski longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    IMO;
    Easiest. Probably a new screw. [Rust in the hole isn't a good sign - one wonders how much water penetrated the core. But not much you can do about it now.] Epoxy+choppped fiberglass. Jam in the hole and make sure the hole is full of epoxy. Let cure 24-48H. You'll probably want to trim the excess hanging out of the hole - chisel or oscillating multi-tool, etc. Drill+tap again. Wet screw/hole with more epoxy and screw down. Perhaps leave just shy of fully tight, and tighten down, fully, after 24-48H.

Next easiest - for me at least - an insert. One looks wonky, but would be fine.

As noted though, worried about the core integrity and ski longevity.
    Thank you, sir.

these things are handier than a hole in the butt

Name:	IMG_0622.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	304627
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I’d just use glue.

Drill the new holes and mount the toe using the new holes to center then screw-in the ones you’re reusing.
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    1.5 mounts on these GPO.
    Prior inserts were conflicting with a Frischi mount so I heated them up, removed them, and re-sealed with hardwood and G-Flex.
    I might have to remove the original plastic plugs and repeat with the hardwood, as I'm going to be really close on the heel track.
    heck. the Tectons are in no way going to work with the 2 heel mounts, short of half overlapping holes.
    backup plan is Shifts which will fit, but that was second preference.

heck. the Tectons are in no way going to work with the 2 heel mounts, short of half overlapping holes.
    backup plan is Shifts which will fit, but that was second preference.
    Not even if you get funky and move the heel around (and rely on BSL adjust to correct)?

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Not even if you get funky and move the heel around (and rely on BSL adjust to correct)?
    From rec line to -1 or -1.5, I still have at least 2 direct hits on a prior plugged hole. I'm not so comfortable with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    these things are handier than a hole in the butt

Name:	IMG_0622.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	304627
    Ohhhh I need one!
    I had a lazy moment pulling some bindings last week and didn't heat the head of the epoxied screws before trying to crank them out. One of the torx screws came out easy but two gave me trouble and the last got completely mangled, I barely managed to back it out enough to grab with vice grips.
    I've been using flexible epoxy (Hardman orange) instead of the faster curing more brittle ones and they really hold on to the screws, it takes an insane amount of torque to break them free.

you never know how a binding was mounted so if you get a stubborn screw use heat BEFORE you fuck up the screw, a soldering iron works good OR if you don't have an iron mount a 1/4" drill bit backwards in the chuck, run it at high speed on the screw head and it will generate enough heat to loosen a screw
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Also if you access to a Nd:YAG laser you can focus the beam on the screw which will heat it up. Just remember to wear eye protection and keep kids and pets away from the beam.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

From rec line to -1 or -1.5, I still have at least 2 direct hits on a prior plugged hole. I'm not so comfortable with that.
    Shitty. If you can make it two direct hits on the smaller (non-insert) holes, I'd personally be pretty okay using inserts on those though. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Also if you access to a Nd:YAG laser you can focus the beam on the screw which will heat it up. Just remember to wear eye protection and keep kids and pets away from the beam.
    not very common in dentistry ...just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    not very common in dentistry ...just sayin
    Funny thing, it's easier for me to get access to a laser than a soldering iron which I'd have to go buy... I'll post a TR next time I have to pull bindings off a ski and the heavy-duty equipment gets used.
    In this case I have no excuses for mangling the screw, it was my mount on my skis, I knew I should have used heat and got impatient.

Yeah you need an iron closer to 100W IME, I had a good one that burnt out and the last one I got isnt strong enough

sometimes I forget about the heat and start to mangle the screw,

heating up the screw with a lazer would be next level

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Shitty. If you can make it two direct hits on the smaller (non-insert) holes, I'd personally be pretty okay using inserts on those though. YMMV.
    I said direct hits but they're really just too fucking overlappy, not perfect direct hits.

I used heat gun, boiling water and soldering iron then tried the impact driver which finally fucked the screw so I had to use extractor. I mounted it with orange Hardman so I knew what was in there. I spent 98% of my time on that one stupid screw.

I used heat gun, boiling water and soldering iron then tried the impact driver which finally fucked the screw so I had to use extractor. I mounted it with orange Hardman so I knew what was in there. I spent 98% of my time on that one stupid screw.
    Cue the annual “which glue?” debate...

you need to grit your teeth when you do it

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    Cue the annual “which glue?” debate...
    nope

Hardman orange for me

no debate

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you need to grit your teeth when you do it
    I think I did that

I think the problem was that I used an old screw with a fucked up head

reusing holes

how do people feel about reusing mounting holes. I had a pivot heel break off on the baseplate and replaced it with another one. Just unscrewed the old one and woodglued the new one in. hasnt given me trouble yet

Quote Originally Posted by Mantequilla270 View Post
    how do people feel about reusing mounting holes. I had a pivot heel break off on the baseplate and replaced it with another one. Just unscrewed the old one and woodglued the new one in. hasnt given me trouble yet
    As long as the screws torqued down and didn't spin I wouldn't worry about it. I usually use marine epoxy for remounts but it is probably overkill.

Checking your screws for tightness once in a while brings a lot of peace of mind for me.