Page 116 of 274 FirstFirst ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 6838
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Shoulda mounted my own f'n skis.
    I don't have the tools or the brains.

Shop mounted one stick on the line, the other stick more than +1 from the line.
    Now telling me that 1cm minimum between holes means my choices now are -2 or +3 if i want them equal.

if I wanted a f'd up mount, I woulda mounted my own f'n skis.
    Tell the shop they owe you a bunch of money for their fuck up and have them drill new holes on the one ski on the line. Tell them you will put the binding on if they have a hang up about it.
    If not they can replace both skis and you will take the new ones elsewhere. Any shop worth its salt will accommodate your first request.

-They are willing to buy new skis if it comes to that. Rather avoid.

Dude, take the skis and run.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    This.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Probably.
    The ski maker called me last night to discuss (totally rad btw). Skinny: given. He was also on the fence about it, agreed noticeable effect will depend on where the boot center actually ends up after remount - at this point it seems .. difficult to predict.

Meeting with the shop today. Probably do what 2funky suggested ..
    I'll let them remount as close to line as they can, measure the 'real' recommended line off the tail, and see how far off the boot center actually ends up.
    If not acceptable the shop buys new skis.
    And if I keep em, the shop has still agreed to 'make it right' for screwing up the mount, whatever that means.

Add to the mix, these aren't 'off the rack' skis .. actually 1 of a kind. so it'll take a while to get replacements built.
    I'll post an update.

Lesson: learned.

Get new skis

Probably.
    The ski maker called me last night to discuss (totally rad btw). Skinny: given. He was also on the fence about it, agreed noticeable effect will depend on where the boot center actually ends up after remount - at this point it seems .. difficult to predict.

Meeting with the shop today. Probably do what 2funky suggested ..
    I'll let them remount as close to line as they can, measure the 'real' recommended line off the tail, and see how far off the boot center actually ends up.
    If not acceptable the shop buys new skis.
    And if I keep em, the shop has still agreed to 'make it right' for screwing up the mount, whatever that means.

Add to the mix, these aren't 'off the rack' skis .. actually 1 of a kind. so it'll take a while to get replacements built.
    I'll post an update.

Lesson: learned.
    Ohhh... What skis? Pics?
    If the heel can slide (not pivots etc) , just remount, they should be able to find a spot that gets the boot in the right spot. Or swap for bindings with a different hole pattern. Or that have a toes that moves
    And then somehow compensate for the fact that the ski now has a second set of holes. Like free tunes or whatever else you need.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    compensate for the fact that the ski now has a second set of holes. Like free tunes
    not sure i'd trust a shop that cant mount right to tune skis, ymmv

but i'd just mount the bindings myself, so this post is pointless....really just curious on what the skis are

Another option is to go with a different [free] binding with a different hole pattern. With this option, ask for free bindings and a shop credit for something nice for the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Another option is to go with a different [free] binding with a different hole pattern. With this option, ask for free bindings and a shop credit for something nice for the wife.
    Like some big ass fake titties

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Had similar thing happened to me in the past with Christy’s in Cherry Creek, CO — ended up mounting them forward 1 cm but they gave me a free pair of boots!! Bottom line is this shop needs to make it right. Since them I do all my own mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Seems logical. Pretty much even restitution.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Seems logical. Pretty much even restitution.

Make sure they mount them on the line.

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Almost forgot to add... mount your own fucking skis

Quote Originally Posted by detuned View Post
    really just curious on what the skis are
    Custom ON3P c&d 189

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Great idea, thanks GS. I ended up doing this. Hole pattern for Shifts didn't overlap for boot center on the line. Though I guess we'll see .. I don't have mounted skis in hand yet. Headed to the shop soon to talk turkeys, will see what I can haggle in.

hey if i can touch em, they're real.
    will post creepy pics for comment, if I can negotiate in said boob job (if not, gtfo)

Make sure they mount them on the line.
    HA! winning!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    but they gave me a free pair of boots!! Bottom line is this shop needs to make it right. Since them I do all my own mounts.
    so boots, NOT boobs? :-/ that's handy to know though, thanks.

And yea. lesson learned the hard way, mount my own f'n skis.

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Shoulda mounted my own f'n skis.
    I don't have the tools or the brains.

Shop mounted one stick on the line, the other stick more than +1 from the line.
    Now telling me that 1cm minimum between holes means my choices now are -2 or +3 if i want them equal.

if I wanted a f'd up mount, I woulda mounted my own f'n skis.
    1st, I’ve always followed 1cm center to center for normal mounts, 15mm center to center for inserts. Not edge to edge. Especially on a ski with good cores like ON3P.

2nd, I can’t think of a single binding that has hole interference from remounting 1cm behind the first set of holes. They should have just done this to get that ski to the line and been done with it. Hell most alpine bindings wouldn’t even need to remount the heel to do this, just the toe piece.

3rd, now you know why you mount your own fucking skis, because shop mounts with a jig tend to be considerably worse than a mount done with a paper template and careful measuring - as far as centering it on the ski and getting everything aligned perfectly. Some grubby teenager getting paid $10 an hour doesn’t care that much about how good a job he does mounting your $900 custom skis as you would. Especially when he’s got 10 pairs to do before his shift ends

4th, yeah they should give you free binding/mount/tunes or the like to make up for the screw up on a custom ski (assuming they will mount bindings on the line for you properly) Or just ask them to pay for your new skis and learn how to mount them yourself

All metal goodness mounted on moar metal.
    Mounted these fuckers mah self so as not to have a shop fuck my shit up.
    Bring on the WROD.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1777.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	881.8 KB 
ID:	302613

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4237.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	576.9 KB 
ID:	302622

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post

3rd, now you know why you mount your own fucking skis, because shop mounts with a jig tend to be considerably worse than a mount done with a paper template and careful measuring - as far as centering it on the ski and getting everything aligned perfectly. Some grubby teenager getting paid $10 an hour doesn’t care that much about how good a job he does mounting your $900 custom skis as you would. Especially when he’s got 10 pairs to do before his shift ends
    acutally im 54 makes bout twice that mount at least 5 if not 10 times that daily been doin it for decades now and even with large drug intake my fuck up rate isn't that high
    but you obviously stay at the holiday inns and like to type about mounting expertise
    using a lot words
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    acutally im 54 makes bout twice that mount at least 5 if not 10 times that daily been doin it for decades now and even with large drug intake my fuck up rate isn't that high
    but you obviously stay at the holiday inns and like to type about mounting expertise
    using a lot words
    Pretty sure he is talking about the 70% not the 1%.

Resolve: I go home with my original bindings, plus shop mounts different binders with no hole overlap which put boots where I want (at no cost). Plus a little store credit. *Unfortunately there are no 'mounted on-the-line silicone tits for ms middle' included in the deal.

Mistakes happen. They're good folks, it's a good shop. A small town outfit I've know for decades. I appreciate their accountability.
    I'm as satisfied with the resolution as I can be. Sure I'd rather it didn't happen, but we found a solution. One that shouldn't effect ski performance. At the end of the day the skis will rip, and I learned a valuable lesson: Mount your own f'n skis.

I've got some old binding change-outs to learn on - I'll be doing my own f'n mounts from now on.

Most excellent.

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    using a lot words
    Yes not talking about guru skifishbums And I was assuming this particular tech is getting to this pair at the end of the work day

But really I’d wager many who turn to mounting their own skis do so after a shop screws up their nice new pair of sticks. (Myself included)

Can’t tell you how many used skis I’ve seen with crooked, misaligned, and non-symmetric left vs right ski holes when I mount them. Make difference when skiing them? Usually not. But 1cm off obviously would

Since you’ve used so many jigs you’re surely aware that they’re not the most precise tools to keep the binding aligned straight down the middle of the ski. And it’s easy to have one ski mounted a little bit further forward than the other

Paper templates are slower and require more measuring/patience and would never work in a shop environment. But the end results can be much more accurate. And they’re free

Why not type? I’m just waiting to move back to a state with hills higher than 150ft right now. And I sleep in a van, man

^^ Glad to hear the shop took care of you MiddleNight. Enjoy those skis

The Swiss cheese incident. I plugged the black holes and mounted on the open holes

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Are those plastic plugs??
    If so there is no way i would trust those 2 back holes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Are those plastic plugs??
    If so there is no way i would trust those 2 back holes.
    Yellow was first mount. I bought them used with the second mount that I plugged with black plastic inserts. Guy who sold them to me pulled the bindings and saw that and was like WTF! I should have mounted my own friggin bindings

I <heart> hot tele-moms