Page 114 of 119 FirstFirst ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 2968
    First post here in years.

Since downsizing, retiring, and moving to Sapporo permanently, I don't have a shop or a bench anymore. I brought some of my mounting gear and when I picked up a pair of skis at the end of the season, I set to mounting tele bindings on them with inserts. All I have for a work area is a $20 knockoff workmate that is less than 70 cm tall, a storage locker, and the back of my tiny car. I got them mounted but not without a scare when I tilted the tap on the two middle screws on a 22 Designs Lynx binding and couldn't get them to go. I pulled the inserts right away, filled the holes with JB Weld, and remounted the next day. Everything good now.

I don't think I want to go through this again without a drill press and a better bench but I do have a couple of other projects to create some skis already mounted TTS that I can throw a tech heel on and use as spare loaners if someone comes to visit and their gear doesn't get here or they break something. So I might keep going after all, who knows?

Atomic Backland 107, 189 cm with Lynx mounted with inserts, boot center on the boot center line.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2233.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	284469
    repaired middle inserts look a little off but the screws fit

Name:	IMG_2234.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	284470
    light touring rig for JaPOW

Name:	IMG_2235.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	284471
    the new 22D heels still (always) look crooked even though they are dead center on the center line.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Where did you move from to Sapporo? That sounds huge

From Boulder. We both lost our jobs in February and being over 60 it didn't take long to decide that we had a better option than trying to find another job in the US. It took us until the end of August to get moved over here. Hudge project actually but we're settled and very happy now. My old friends from 30 years ago are either very old or dead or still working. So I don't have enough local partners for bc but my friends from CO come to visit sometimes and we ride JaPOW. This winter was one of, if not the lowest snow year ever for Hokkaido. It was still pretty great until the pow machine shut down in February. Started up again in April and the season ended on a good note. Next year will surely be better.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Head Kore 93->Attck 13 pre GW. I'd like to make these my travel skis and install Binding freedom Inserts. Does the Head Kore have enough core material to install the inserts?

Quote Originally Posted by thechad View Post
    Head Kore 93->Attck 13 pre GW. I'd like to make these my travel skis and install Binding freedom Inserts. Does the Head Kore have enough core material to install the inserts?
    Yep. I installed inserts in to quite a few Kore's without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Yep. I installed inserts in to quite a few Kore's without issue.
    ->Thanks as I was worried I'd have to build up the topsheet somehow.

A late-July mount last night, in my Mammoth storage unit, just a few days before Mammoth closing weekend.

194 Devastators that I got from user=rip in Telluride. I unmounted STH2 bindings from a 195 RMU North Shore, and mounted them onto these Devastators.

Name:	IMG_3879.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	289350

- TRADE your heavy BILLYGOATS or PROTESTS for my lightweight versions at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Seen in a Vail hotel room...looks like part of a patent application.

Mounted these up last night with some G-Flex 650... great time to snag 75mm gear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190827_205829.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	292512  

Name:	20190831_164058.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	678.4 KB 
ID:	292799
    Drilled 2 pr for inserts. Next pair will look sweet. Tapping the plexiglass made the job easier. Next time I'll get access to a drill preas and buy the right bit.

Have had these on the back burner since last fall, as their 16/17 predecessors still did fine last winter. With the Turn around the corner it was about time to get them ready to go. My first choice for frontside and low tide missions.

Name:	Down SD95.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	266.7 KB 
ID:	293614

Thought this belonged in this thread:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Mounting-Bench

price negotiable.

Fun is about to be had.

Another set of skis ó another set of inserts for the shift.

Drilled out

Name:	IMG_3072.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	296801

Testing the fitment

Name:	IMG_3079.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	296802

Applying a lil gflex to the insert

Name:	IMG_3085.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	296804

All inserts snugged in place and excess wiped off.

Name:	IMG_3089.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	296805

Close up

Name:	IMG_3091.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	296806

Some people let inserts cure with bindings installed to make sure everything lines up. I donít do this and have yet to get burnt after 8-10 sets of inserts installed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Those are hawt.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Another set of skis ó another set of inserts for the shift.
    Hey, do you hand drill your insert hole, or do you use a guide or a press or some other trick?

I agree. Those are fhawt.

Another year means another pair of skis for thing 1. Kind of jealous over these ones. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1570511608.502056.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	513.9 KB 
ID:	296839

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Hey, do you hand drill your insert hole, or do you use a guide or a press or some other trick?

I agree. Those are fhawt.
    Hand drill.

I use a small bit to center punch based off template. Then widen to Fuller F bit (6.5mm) with a bit that has drill bit stop set to 9.5mm depth. BF sells a drill bit but I donít like it as I found it easier to drill past the 9.5mm depth. The fuller stop makes this impossible.

Here are some links

Drill Bit Stop
    LETTER `F' (.257) DRILL STOP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D1LPRM..._L9.MDb799YHZR

F Drill Bit and 5/16 - 18 tap
    Vermont American 21668 Size 5/16 x 18 NC Tap Letter F Drill Bit Combo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CFJCDO..._dcaNDbB42X9Z8

Bottom has a tap included!

Name:	IMG_3095.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	296992

Tested out a few different ways to find ski center the past week and I think I found a winner for now (digital calipers would make this easy but I donít have those). Quick Grip bar clamp around the edges, then measure with a straight edge.

Name:	IMG_4084.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	297516

Name:	IMG_4085.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	297517

I had one of those stops come lose mid still and I drilled right through the ski 🤨 Went back to the BF bit then.

Ok trying a new mount and am gonna post questions as I go because itís 100% free hand, no template. I have a pair of ravens drilled for Tectons and will be installing Xenics. Heels match. So plan is to install heels, snap binding toe onto boot, snug the boot onto the prongs, move heel forward or backward until toes donít conflict with existing holes, and mark on the ski.

Also for sanity check: since no forward pressure on touring heels, I just want that sliver of light between the boot and the heel binding.

Somehow this all feels weirder with no template and installing with the heel already done. I suppose it is.

Any better ideas?

I started a dating advice app because I always need advice
    ó
    Charmed Chat lets you tinder for your friends

I've always inserted the drill bit so only the 9.5 or desired depth was exposed. Worst case is it slips but that just results in a shallow hole and is salvageable.

Getting ready to drill a bunch o skis.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I had one of those stops come lose mid still and I drilled right through the ski �� Went back to the BF bit then.

Ok trying a new mount and am gonna post questions as I go because it’s 100% free hand, no template. I have a pair of ravens drilled for Tectons and will be installing Xenics. Heels match. So plan is to install heels, snap binding toe onto boot, snug the boot onto the prongs, move heel forward or backward until toes don’t conflict with existing holes, and mark on the ski.

Also for sanity check: since no forward pressure on touring heels, I just want that sliver of light between the boot and the heel binding.

Somehow this all feels weirder with no template and installing with the heel already done. I suppose it is.

Any better ideas?

Fuck if you do that ^^ the universe will likely consume itself !

But in the event it doesnt, IME drill collars will slip SO instead I drill a hole thru a wine bottle cork, I slip the drill in the chuck to leave as much drill bit showing as I need, all that can happen is the drill can loosen so I don't drill deep enough

I never use jigs or those flacid paper templates, SO what is important is ski boot center in relation to the ski center mark SO find it on the boot, mark with a piece of tape or a sharpie mark, put the boot center mark at ski center, use a T-square on the ski top to line up the boot mark cuz its hard to just eyeball, click the toe piece onto the boot, line up BC / ski center to see where you are at

So at this point if you got existing binding holes you wana use and the marks are within 1 cm, I would just do it cuz you won't feel 1 cm unless you are a princess, if it IS further than 1cm you got enough room to drill another hole

figure out where the toe will go in relation to the heelpice holes you are using, take into account whatever gap the binding needs (I am unsure what those bindings you mention used ? ) mark where your toe piece will go

now drill one hole for the toe piece, mount the toe piece, click the boot in, let the binding move where it wants, mark the other holes, this will make sure the boot drops dead center into the pins and Bob's yer uncle eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Tested out a few different ways to find ski center the past week and I think I found a winner for now (digital calipers would make this easy but I donít have those). Quick Grip bar clamp around the edges, then measure with a straight edge.
    Great idea w/ the clamp, thanks. Iíve got calipers but its always tough (esp. w/ semi-cap skis) to get a solid reference point for the edges. Cant believe I never thought of throwing a clamp on them...

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Fuck if you do...
    now drill one hole for the toe piece, mount the toe piece, click the boot in, let the binding move where it wants, mark the other holes, this will make sure the boot drops dead center into the pins and Bob's yer uncle eh

The one hole makes sense. Iíve never done that before. I see how thatíll make a good binder fit...But how does that ensure the boot drops center?

Excellent tip brudduh

I started a dating advice app because I always need advice
    ó
    Charmed Chat lets you tinder for your friends

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    The one hole makes sense. Iíve never done that before. I see how thatíll make a good binder fit...But how does that ensure the boot drops center?

Excellent tip brudduh

That was the standard procedure with the old 5 hole dynafit toes.