Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Yes, travel out of NYC is difficult, lack of airports and all.
    [quote][//quote]

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Yes, travel out of NYC is difficult, lack of airports and all.
    I was thinking delays for planes, security, and the delays and hassle of getting to the airport. Because, you know, if you are gone most of the week every week you do that a fair bit every week and those hours add up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    I was thinking delays for planes, security, and the delays and hassle of getting to the airport. Because, you know, if you are gone most of the week every week you do that a fair bit every week and those hours add up.
    True, but depending on when you have to go to the airport it isn't so bad. Either way, if skiing is #1 or 2 priority on the guy's list then I'd give the nod to Boston, unless he's only looking to fly to skiing in which case it goes back to NYC. I'm assuming plane delays and other airport problems are the same whether you're in NYC or elsewhere.
    [quote][//quote]

If easy access to the airport is a priority then Philly and DC beat the fuck outta all the other choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    If easy access to the airport is a priority then Philly and DC beat the fuck outta all the other choices.
    Yeah, but the philly airport is miserable to get into and the DC airports are miserable to get out of.
    Disclaimer: haven't flown into either city in the last 3 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Yeah, but the philly airport is miserable to get into and the DC airports are miserable to get out of.
    Disclaimer: haven't flown into either city in the last 3 years or so.
    National's as easy an airport to get in and out of as I've ever seen, but more expensive. BWI is fine so long as the parkway doesn't back up on you. Dulles, like all things in the sprawly VA exurbs, should be avoided if at all possible.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    I'm assuming plane delays and other airport problems are the same whether you're in NYC or elsewhere.
    That's a dumb assumption

Nationals fine for short hops; the perimeter rule makes the others a necessity and as said they can suck. I'm sure the silver line will fix everything

What Perimeter rule? They have non-stops to Seattle & LAX on AK Air!

Boston
    New York
    Chicago
    Houston
    Charlotte
    Atlanta
    DC
    Philly
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    whoever said NYC is best for travelling is high.
    Agreed. When you are there you're stuck. Public transportation, tunnels/bridges, massive fees for everything including parking, and no elbow room. But I guess it's an OK city.

I actually prefer Philly. Maybe I'm high?

I wish more people used the Ogden scale.

Yeah, but the philly airport is miserable to get into...
    That's crazy talk. I drive to a nearby lot, park, and take their van. I am in the airport 15min after that (and remote lots can be had for $6.90/day).

Plan your flight away from Monday morning or Friday. I've never waited for more than a few minutes to get through security.

The only negative of Philly's airport is they tend to delay flights when the weather is not that bad.

-Smarty

I can only assume that the people suggesting Chicago haven't spent more than 5 or 10 minutes there. It is by far the deepest shithole in the country. Boston, DC/Bodymore, Charlotte, jump off a fucking bridge.

Whoever said Baltimore wasn't too far off. From my house I can get to either BWI or PHL in 25-30 minutes; I can drive 2 miles to a train station and be in DC by 9am without too much trouble.
    Once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    That's crazy talk. I drive to a nearby lot, park, and take their van. I am in the airport 15min after that (and remote lots can be had for $6.90/day).

Plan your flight away from Monday morning or Friday. I've never waited for more than a few minutes to get through security.

The only negative of Philly's airport is they tend to delay flights when the weather is not that bad.

-Smarty
    That's the only airport where I've ever actually had to go with the "two hours before your flight" rule for security, and that was usually on a Sunday. Maybe it was the terminal?

That's the only airport where I've ever actually had to go with the "two hours before your flight" rule for security, and that was usually on a Sunday. Maybe it was the terminal?
    Could be...but the airport also underwent renovations and upgrades in 2008 and 2010 (actually, it's still be worked on), so that might have improved travel as well.

-Smarty

Quote Originally Posted by tensile View Post

From my house I can get to either BWI or PHL in 25-30 minutes;
    I gona call bullshit here , unless you have helicopter .

hugh
    in NYC i have public transport
    (gtd arrival times cheap transport)

to 2 of the biggest hubs in the world (JFK & EWR)

seriously i can drag my ski bag, or GASP take a taxi, to penn station and be in either one of these airports in 20 minutes.

hard to find ANYWHERE you cant get to from these two airports
    travel from NYC sux why?
    I can also catch a bus to bellayre with a lift ticket included in case i want to depress the hell out of myself.

travel a lot and am good at it
    remember just the tip? i learned from that shit too.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    I gona call bullshit here , unless you have helicopter .
    Seriously. It's a hundred miles on I95 between city centers and BWI is about 15 miles south of Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Seriously. It's a hundred miles on I95 between city centers and BWI is about 15 miles south of Baltimore.
    I third that it's bullshit. I live in Wilmington, DE appx 30 sec from an entrance ramp to I-95 (202). It takes me appx 20-25min to get from my front door to the "arrivals" section of PHL.

-Smarty

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    seriously i can drag my ski bag, or GASP take a taxi, to penn station and be in either one of these airports in 20 minutes.
    yeah woodsy, I remember your math has always been full of shit. go post about tgr being full of douches, douche

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Ease of travel
    1) NYC
    1a) Chicago
    3) Boston
    4) DC
    5) who cares
    How often have you flown out of NYC? Their airports have been cluster fucks from my experience. There are very few direct flights from NYC to ski destinations. The biggest drawback to NYC in my opinion is the cost of living and getting out of the city. I have several friends who pay $1,000 a month for a tiny tiny bedroom in an apartment without a living room and a galley kitchen or split a small bedroom with another person. Leaving the city takes forever.

Plus $8 bud lights - $15 cheeseburgers - etc are the norm. If you are going to live in the city, you had better be making at least $60K to live semi-comfortably.

I would actually vote Charlotte. Some big city stuff without the hassle of a true big city like NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc...
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    No, not bullshit. It may be a few mins farther to PHL, I don't time the shit to the second. 15 miles from DE line. I always fly in the eve and take 97 to BWI to avoid the B/W shitshow. Depending on where he is in Wilmington, it could take Smarty longer to get to PHL than it takes me. I could probably get to BWI from here faster than you can from MoCo at most times of day. To appease the BS flag wavers, I will amend my claim to 30-45 mins from each.
    Once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

Quote Originally Posted by tensile View Post
    No, not bullshit. It may be a few mins farther to PHL, I don't time the shit to the second. 15 miles from DE line. I always fly in the eve and take 97 to BWI to avoid the B/W shitshow. Depending on where he is in Wilmington, it could take Smarty longer to get to PHL than it takes me. I could probably get to BWI from here faster than you can from MoCo at most times of day. To appease the BS flag wavers, I will amend my claim to 30-45 mins from each.
    You live in Newark? Nah, must be York.

Icemang wins your bet, since they opened up the Inter County Connector today. The local NP station did a real world driving test from G-Burg to Laurel. One group went the old way - 270-495-95 and the other took the ICC. average was 55minutes for the 1st group, 21 for the second.