Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bozeman Resources?

So I just moved down to Bozeman after spending 8 years in Whitefish and one year in Girdwood. I'm a complete noob to skiing in this area, beyond my obligatory 5 days at Bridger and 5 days ay Big Sky over the last 9 years. I already know what I'm doing pass-wise, I'm just looking for some insight to the useful skiing resources in this community. FOR EXAMPLE: websites with accurate information on snowpack conditions; how the snow plays out on a "typical" snow year; a good person in town to mount bindings and baseweld skis; etc.

I know, I know, call me a fucking jong or whatever... Just looking to get pointed in the right direction in a few areas. Yes, I've done a search of this forum, and yes, most of this information exists already... Just trying to consolidate any information you guys have into this post. I'm sure I'll meet many of the Bozeman minions in due time.

Yes, I'm BC savvy, yes, I have BC equipment, no, I'm not an idiot...

Thanks for your advice.

-TTT

Search out Gomez of Casa Tours. He will do you right.

www.mtavalanche.com for snow conditions, they'll have a report going every day once we have a snowpack.

whoa that was close!

Also while maybe not my favorite shop Eric @ the Roundhouse is a pretty good ski-tech.

So ttt what are you doin for a pass?

Eric at the Roundhouse has been doing awesome work on my skis the last couple years, you can't go wrong with PHD skis either, those guy will take care of you.

There is no such thing as a typical snow year here. Most years there is a long dry spell at some point, I'd say 7 years out of 10. If we are really lucky, this will be 2 good ones in a row. Even in the worst years there is redemption at some point though. Enjoy this years persistant weak layer at the base of the snowpack.

Check the Montana Snotel sites for snow depth and weather. There should be links on the Avy center.

Look for a new book coming out that points you in the right direction as far as all the well known and popular backcountry ski spots, which means there will probably be 3x as many people at said spots this year, so plan accordingly. Let me know if you wanna make a road trip to Northwest Montana sometime, there is some stuff I really wanna ski up there.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    Search out Gomez of Casa Tours. He will do you right.
    He is in San Diego until January.

Next!
    Mister Man! Mister Man! Mister Man. They left this card.

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    Eric at the Roundhouse has been doing awesome work on my skis the last couple years, you can't go wrong with PHD skis either, those guy will take care of you.

There is no such thing as a typical snow year here. Most years there is a long dry spell at some point, I'd say 7 years out of 10. If we are really lucky, this will be 2 good ones in a row. Even in the worst years there is redemption at some point though. Enjoy this years persistant weak layer at the base of the snowpack.

Check the Montana Snotel sites for snow depth and weather. There should be links on the Avy center.

Look for a new book coming out that points you in the right direction as far as all the well known and popular backcountry ski spots, which means there will probably be 3x as many people at said spots this year, so plan accordingly. Let me know if you wanna make a road trip to Northwest Montana sometime, there is some stuff I really wanna ski up there.
    Yeah dude, I'm always up for a NW Montana trip - depending on how deep you wanna go I'll gladly show you around the North Fork/Middle Fork/Glacier/WMR slackcountry lines... So much good up there and so few people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi-Bell View Post
    whoa that was close!

Also while maybe not my favorite shop Eric @ the Roundhouse is a pretty good ski-tech.

So ttt what are you doin for a pass?
    I am getting a pass through work... I chose Big Sky over Bridger because A)it's bigger, B)it has a longer season, C)day tickets at Bridger are cheaper, and D)my girlfriend would rather be at Big Sky. I'll also be working for the USSA/BSF to get some free passes at Bridger, so I'll still get up there probably 15 times this season.

(And yes, you can all make fun of me, but I'm working for the Yellowstone Club)

I'm rehabbing my knee still, so not on snow until around December 15th - I'm looking forward to skiing some new stuff down here this winter.

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

NEXT QUESTION... who the fuck makes good pizza in this town?

-TTT

NEXT QUESTION... who the fuck makes good pizza in this town?
    NO ONE! order some Lou Malnati's deep dish sausage with butter crust from chicago. I'm sure someone will disagree but growing up around chicago, bozeman kinda lacks in the food department in general.

No offense TTT, but I really hate threads like this. "I want to be fast tracked to being a LOCAL, tell me how to do it." Fucking lame. Do your time like everybody else, don't get a dickhead attitude like the LOCALS (I live in Deadrock so I am not local either), and you'll hit your stride and fall in wherever you fit.

Oh and Tone, that new guide book that will be circulating soon, should be awsome as it only has shit spots to ski that will funnel the herd to said shit spots. God forbid someone buy a fucking map and go and find something for themselves. End rant.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    No offense TTT, but I really hate threads like this. "I want to be fast tracked to being a LOCAL, tell me how to do it." Fucking lame. Do your time like everybody else, don't get a dickhead attitude like the LOCALS (I live in Deadrock so I am not local either), and you'll hit your stride and fall in wherever you fit.

Oh and Tone, that new guide book that will be circulating soon, should be awsome as it only has shit spots to ski that will funnel the herd to said shit spots. God forbid someone buy a fucking map and go and find something for themselves. End rant.
    To be frank with you Hick, I have no desire to be a "local" in this town - Whitefish is my home. I can "do my time" like everyone else, trapse around in the backcountry aimlessly with limited local knowledge, and drop my skis off to be repaired at a random repair shop, or I can ask people with experience how to get BC beta (no, not about lines, about conditions), ask the maggots which one of their friends repairs skis well, etc. I don't want you guys to tell me where the "sick BC lines are" or "where the local hookup is on ski equipment"... I just know absolutely nothing about the snowpack down here, and I want to be as informed as possible before I trek out in December. And if you can hook your friend up by recommending him to baseweld my damaged skis, then why not?

True, the answer to the pizza question definitely will be learned once I become a "local" - but it can't hurt to ask

-TTT

I like mackenzie river, albeit touristy and fairly expensive. columbos isn't bad

rosa's or cosmic for pizza

I've found Turiano's book "Select Peaks of Greater Yellowstone" to be as useful as any other single source, regarding terrain and approaches.

Lived right next to Colombo's Pizza through college and liked it best. They have good beer specials, too.

Have fun, cool spot. I feel lucky to have grown up there.

tone cooks up my rosa's cuz its the only d-livery 4me, tarantinos slices if timed right can work, cosmic/macriver/colombo allgood, sobys breakfast burrito a standby- sometimes w/bloodys sittin in pub317 ,aleworks& garage are decent, pourhouse serviceable barfare, plonk good datenite place, - I got the eastside bias hardly go west of willson...

91.9fm kglt college radio sation is random but thats a good thing, filling station live tunes tuesdays and wknds, eagles downtown has craptastic atmosphere but sometimes good music & always cheap beer, seem to find skibums in there quite a bit-

try the beers at the bozone and checkout the bombsnow hq/vast in the same building where peach meets broadway-- billyB was runnin a skishop in there for last few seasons overnight drop-off style... 406 brewery on oak by rouse also has tasty offerings changing often & is owned by a buddy of mine matt...

kevin at phd is good peeps shop-wise he'll make sure you're happy

my 2 oldest(7,9) doin bsf youth ski league for 2nd yr on sundays, win/win on the 9-2pm format there... have fun at yc still know lotsa peeps there(careful cuz danL will try to recruit you for the bzmn adult hockey league), my wife worked there when they opened I had my time, enjoy the private pow...

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post

Well that was helpful.

We don't really have any places in town with phenomenal food, to be honest. There's a lot of places with good food, but nothing that will blow you away.

And with skiing spots...just ask around. Some people will act like douchebags, but most will be helpful and totally willing to show you around as best as they can. We definitely have our share of jaded "locals," but for the most part it's a pretty cool crowd.

Best pizza in Big Sky is at Milkie's! Good wings to!

Yeah, kinda surprised about the book, like we really need a book like that around here. They might be the shit spots to some, but I think parking at places like Beehive is kinda limited to begin with.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Oh well, I try not to let it piss me off. We live in a valley of 30,000 skiers now, not much being perpetually irritated about it is gonna do. Yeah, kinda sheisty way to make a buck, printing a book with where to put each switchback on all the local easy access stashes, but whatever. There really are plenty of places to go if your willing to work for it or if you have a sled then the world is your oyster.

People helping each other out on Teton isn't the end of powder skiing as we know it, and as far as my experiences go, I have enjoyed meeting people both local and other places and having the opportunity to travel and generally have a good time with mostly good people. What's the point of this place otherwise? Why would you even log on if everything just pisses you off and you see no positive opportunities in sharing/networking with other skiers of different experience and locality?

Rosa's is great, cheap pizza. I'm a slut for Tarantino's, however.

Another +1 to Eric at Roundhouse. Good people there, save for a few bro-brahs. I've never had a good experience with PhD, but countless others have, so YMMV.

Random question. What is the best cell phone carrier in Bozeman (verizon vs ATT)? The bozeman-butte corridor would also be of interest. If any one has any recommendations they would be appreciated.
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

I've been (sadly) gone for a couple years now, but when I was still there:

Pizza: Third Floor was the only legit pizza in town
    Cell phone: Verizon had the best coverage

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    Random question. What is the best cell phone carrier in Bozeman (verizon vs ATT)? The bozeman-butte corridor would also be of interest. If any one has any recommendations they would be appreciated.
    Verizon, no question.

word up Tone, maybe we'll get to spin a few laps this year @ BB together (hopefully sooner than later)

I used to get all pissed off at Xtrapickles when he'd post something cool about Bridger, and I got REALLY pissed when a couple maggots wrote a book about the Ridge, but I learned something from both and am a better skier/happier dude because of it.

The last guy to move in wants to build the biggest fence.

Shit I know and have skied with a bunch of the douchebags posting in this thread because of TGR, here's a little stoke from the biggest bus-drivin' douchetard of them all igband
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1234949.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	104138  

^^^^Yeah, I'm gonna ski like a total douche this year, I would be lucky if any non hadicapped skiers want to ski with me.

Twin Tip, I'm still rehabbing my knee as well, so hit me up if you need someone to gimp around with. I'll be 9 months out in December and hopefully not a total disaster.

I'm serious about road trippin to the goods in the Northwest when I'm closer to 100%, so you'll have to tag along with me to some local pow before then.

I'll throw a plug in there for Mama Rosa as well, try Monday Madness to save some coin and ask for Tony to deliver.