More Intuition talk (pack out related)

Trying to decide if my Intuition liners are dead. There is noticible pack out after 100-150 days, as expected. They have only been molded once though and I am wondering if I can rebake them and get a little more life and volume outta them or if its just time buck up for a new pair. Thanks.

every time you bake them they loose a bit of volume, not much but a little. Rebaking then should help re shape them to your foot. will they be as snug as the first time... probably not but they will likely be better than they are now.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

I don't think a rebake would do much. Only you can decide if they're truly dead, but there's just no way to recover the foamy goodness they used to have. 150 days sounds about right.

It's worth a try. I usually re-bake after about 80 days, then again after another 30, then 20 days after that they are beat.

Finstah Guest
    One thing you could do would be to re-bake the liner for maybe 10 minutes, then just let them sit and cool in the shells without putting your feet in them. This will loft the liners back up a bit.

This is a little trick that has worked well for me when trying to snug up/buy a little more time with Intuition liners.

The tightest, longest lasting fit in Intuition liners will always be achieved by forgoing the heat molding process altogether, and simply breaking in the liner through skiing. The first few days will be a bit unpleasant, but everyone knows you gotta be tough to ski.
    Last edited by Finstah; 11-21-2011 at 11:25 AM.

had my boots set up by one of the guys who's developed a bunch of their liners this weekend. he was pretty adamant that they can only be molded once (maybe trying to sell more liners...) and that after that the foam just became junk.

i am starting to think that intuition liners are just breaking in rad at 100 days. super dense and perfectly shaped to your foot.

if you need to take up a little volume, try putting a thin piece of bontex under the liner to raise your foot slightly in the shell.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Bake 'em and see, you have nothing to lose.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    i am starting to think that intuition liners are just breaking in rad at 100 days. super dense and perfectly shaped to your foot.

if you need to take up a little volume, try putting a thin piece of bontex under the liner to raise your foot slightly in the shell.
    not stoked on intuitions right now. they were OK in my old krypton pros, but I just got the new scorpion SF 130 ID (was in the SR 130 last year), so on a liner only basis the new ones feel like shit. same size, same boot, but the intuition just does not feel nice, it's got a kind of dead feeling to it and feels like it's going to be packed out too much to ski in a week or two (this is after 2 pretty mellow days of skiing). not sure what I am going to do to fix it but these boots are just not the same as the ones i had last year, which were the best fitting/best skiing boots i've ever had, with the stock race liners that the intuition guy called junk.

This is an interesting thought and something that I had not considered.

I am also a little scared of what a rebake will do to the current stank involved with these liners...

Quote Originally Posted by hialtitude View Post

I am also a little scared of what a rebake will do to the current stank involved with these liners...
    For what it's worth, this IS in fact the most entertaining part of rebaking liners (especially out of AT boots) at your buddy's shop. It's worth it alone just for that.

RARE SELF-QUOTE!

anyhow, i think alot of the "packout" complaints associated with intuitions is actually due to the FOOTBED part of the liner compressing under body weight over 100+days of use, and therefore lowering your foot in the shell, and then causing the need to overtighten the buckles. a bontex sheet raises you back up, and then yer happy again.

YMMV, but it is working for me.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    For what it's worth, this IS in fact the most entertaining part of rebaking liners (especially out of AT boots) at your buddy's shop. It's worth it alone just for that.
    Do not rebake at home if you can help it. Especially do not bake in your own kitchen as your wife will take you down hard for stinking up the oven

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Do not rebake at home if you can help it. Especially do not bake in your own kitchen as your wife will take you down hard for stinking up the oven
    Barbarian.

RARE SELF-QUOTE!

anyhow, i think alot of the "packout" complaints associated with intuitions is actually due to the FOOTBED part of the liner compressing under body weight over 100+days of use, and therefore lowering your foot in the shell, and then causing the need to overtighten the buckles. a bontex sheet raises you back up, and then yer happy again.

YMMV, but it is working for me.
    I did this with hockey tape and had solid success. Volume is volume....

plus if marshalolson says to do something, you should just do it.

try putting a thin piece of bontex under the liner to raise your foot slightly in the shell.
    I picked up some insole shims today and am gonna give this a try.

My boot shell is significantly larger than the shim however and I assume will require adhesive to prevent sliding around. Think the shim would be better suited inside the liner and under my superfeet?

Finstah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hialtitude View Post
    I picked up some insole shims today and am gonna give this a try.

My boot shell is significantly larger than the shim however and I assume will require adhesive to prevent sliding around. Think the shim would be better suited inside the liner and under my superfeet?
    Under your liner, not inside it is most ideal.

I would usually adhere the bontex shim to the zeppa (boot board) with the same glue I use when making insoles. I suppose duct tape would work fine too. If the shim is shorter than the zeppa, just make sure it is adhered flush with the back of the heel. You don't necessarily need the shim to extend all the way forward under your toes.