Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who has gone from a Krypton/Flexon back to 4 buckle? Thoughts?

I have had 3 pairs of Krypton Pros, and this year they are out. Thinking of taking it a sa sign and going back to 4 buckle, like the SF110 or 130. I am a little nervous about losing the ankle retention and getting black toes again, as well as the forgiveness and shock absorption of the Krypton. Whose gone this way recently and what did you notice?
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by Dside11-11 View Post
    I have had 3 pairs of Krypton Pros, and this year they are out.
    ^^^ What's that mean? (do you replace your boots every year with the same pair you had last year?)

I used a Krypton for 2 seasons, and could never make it fit well. Too high volume, poor heel pocket = didn't fit my feet well. Too bad, since I liked the flex of those boots a lot.

So I went to a fairly-upright, medium-flex 4-buckle Atomic boot that fit the shape of my foot much better, and I am happy. I am going to try switching to a Dynafit Titan though, as I think the fit and flex are similar, plus I get a walk mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I tried some FT's for awhile, and while they seemed a bit odd at first, I came to love that progression in the flex. BUT, they did not fit my feet (Dalbello doesn't make a size big enough for me), and so I switched back to some 4 buckles. Missed the FT's About to try some cochise, which in my living room, seem to have a similar progressiveness. More boots seem to be taking some cues from the FT/Dalbello style. Could be worth looking into.

had the same issues as el chup. I liked 'em but could never get the fit dialed and the heel pocket was never quite right. Been rocking Salomon Ghosts for a season and haven't really looked back. For me, the flex of the ghost is way more natural than the krypton and they hike better too.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

I go back and forth, between traditional plugs and K-crosses. Agree with everyone here that Dalbello has yet to figure out a last that fits human feet, although this year's is a bit wider across the metatarsals. But I love the flex profile and shock absorption in variable terrain so much that I keep 'em anyway. Obviously, plugs are better for tip pressuring ice. Seriously, what does "they are out" mean?

I love my Kryptons.

I liked the Scorpions when I tried them on - stiffer than the Kryptons, and similar fit. I found that the ankle pocket felt a bit larger, but I didn't have insoles inside the Scorpions when I tried them on, so it's hard to make an honest comparison.

As always, let your feet be the judge.

If I could find a more upright 4 buckle boot, that came close to the krypton pro, I have very limited dorsiflexion so up right works for me, (i especially love the test one mag recommends here where you lock down a boot and lock out your knees and see if you fall on your face), then I might entertain the idea.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

nope, but last season I swapped my stock liners with intuitions in my kryptons, and then put the soft tongue in (160 lbs), and I love them even more

Kryptons for powder, Hurricanes with head foam fit liners for skinny skis and non-powder days.

You don't need Kryptons to avoid black toe, just buy boots that fit and spend some $$$ with the local bootfitting guru.

Kryptons lend them selves to an ankle flexing, centered style of skiing that works well in powder and crud, but they don't work as well when you want to get tip pressure on the ski. If you want to keep that ankle flex style it's important to get an overlap boot you can flex. I think one of the reasons Kryptons are so popular is that they are laterally stiff while still have a relatively soft forward flex. That's a hard combo to match in an overlap boot.

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    had the same issues as el chup. I liked 'em but could never get the fit dialed and the heel pocket was never quite right. Been rocking Salomon Ghosts for a season and haven't really looked back. For me, the flex of the ghost is way more natural than the krypton and they hike better too.
    Thirded. And seconded on the Ghosts.

another vote for the ghosts. I spent a few seasons on kryptons, then switched to a falcon custom shell. The fit was everything I wanted from the krypton. Skiing ghost cs 120's now, and they are so $$$. The rebound and pop and progressive flex of the krypton, with a last designed by people who actually understand the human foot, custom shell, and a dope liner. You won't regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3centshort View Post
    I figure when he realized he was still 10-15 feet off as he flew the K his asshole puckered so hard it ate his nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    In the other scenario, you would be like "Peanut Butter, cool, fuck I'm stuck HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME oh fuck I'm screwed, but at least I have time to think about how screwed I am. I guess that is a blessing. FUCK NO IT'S NOT A BLESSSING I'M STUCK AND I'M DYING.

I'm in the K-pro with an Intuition gold liner. The fit is great for me; narrow heel, low arch, low volume, wide forefoot. When they wear out I'll consider going back to four buckle, though there's a good chance I'll stick with K-pros since I've been spoiled by the comfort.

The good: lateral rigidity - it feels like all the energy I put in goes straight to the edge of the ski. When I first got 'em it felt like I'd just gotten 50% stronger. I also find them warm and light and they fit me well.

The bad: Forward flex feels mushy. I don't mean soft exactly (at least not with the stiffer tongue). It feels like forward pressure gets absorbed by the boot rather than translated to the ski. This bothers me sometimes on hard pack, but maybe in soft snow it makes the boot more forgiving if you get thrown forward.

I've gone from a krypton cross to an agent 130. After removing the top rivet, I've not looked back. The flex is not the same, but progressive enough to absorb crud. If I was skiing a lot of tech terrain, I might put the rivet back in, but I don't really miss the totally unyielding feel of the full 130 flex. Heel retention has so far been a none-issue, thinking I'll get some foam liners once the original ones pack out.

Still don't understand the original issue you've had with your boots though...
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by barcolounger View Post
    The bad: Forward flex feels mushy. I don't mean soft exactly (at least not with the stiffer tongue). It feels like forward pressure gets absorbed by the boot rather than translated to the ski.
    This describes how the K-pro felt to me. For some reason the boots hurt my shins as well. Don't know if it was the wrap style liner, or what, but it was not pleasant.

No doubt they are warm and easy to get into though.

Went from Krypton to Flexon for the narrower toe. Went from Flexon to 4 buckle for the durability. I found in the 5 years that I was in Krypton/Full Tilt that 4 buckle boots got a shitton better and some now have a more progressive flex.

I'm in Tecnica Inferno 130s. They probably aren't a true 130 but they flex pretty nice and fit tight. Not an exact replica to a 3 buckle flex but pretty darn close and with the benefit of POP.

Depending on how long ago you had 4 buckle boots I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how some of them flex. Note that that is SOME of them... some are still as off/on as a light switch.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

i switched from the kryptons to the scorpions and would not go back. didn't dislike the krypton but the scorpion just works for me a shit ton better. grew up in race boots, skied dobermann 150's and such with no issues. the scorpion fits (me) better and skis just as well.

thirded(?) on the ghosts. once you get the hang of putting them on when the shell is cold, there's nothing better. at least for my feet.

Skied Flexons/Kryptons forevers. Tried to switch a few times to a 2-piece boot over the past 10 years, but last season finally really took the plunge.

IMO, the real key no matter what type/style of boot shell is the fit. Find a shell that fits your foot. Forget the liner and find plastic that fits your foot closely and anatomically. You'll always end up sorry later, and looking for something else, if you're getting all of the fit from the liner (even with Intuitions).

BTW - It's possible to get a more progressive flex out of a 2-piece by using a Booster strap and NOT clamping down the top buckle tightly. Let the elasticity of the Booster do it's job and you'll find that not only will the boots flex/feel better, but your feet will probably be warmer too (by not constricting the blood flow at the top of your leg).

Very interesting thread. I am having this debate myself. I started skiing Kryptons 4 years ago and really loved them at first. I swore I would never go back to a 4 buckle boot. I then moved on the Full Tilts last year(due to the slightly tighter fit...I have very skinny feet), which I also liked at first(other than the fact that they fall apart like its their job; i broke two buckles within two days, and thats with the "burly" metal buckles).

Before Kryptons/FTs, I skied in various Atomic boots, and most recently before the change, Tecnica 130 race boots.

My problem with Kryptons and FTs is the fit in the heel and ankle area. Its pretty funny how everyone seems to assume that the design gives you good heel retention, when in reality its worse than most boots. That has been my biggest problem, and it comes down to the design. If you look down into a Krypton or Full Tilt w/ no liner, there is essentially no heel cup or ankle pockets, there are just flat "walls" if you will. The only way to get a Krypton/Full Tilt to be tight around your heel and ankles is to build up your intuition liners with strategically placed foam on the outside of the liner. If you look down into a race boot, there is a very pronounced heel cup and ankle pockets. The design of the Kryptons/FTs doesn't allow this due to the way it flexes. I think having a boot shaped around your ankle and heel is a lot more effective than a flat-walled boot with foam donuts on the outside of the liner to keep your ankle tight.

What I do like about the Kryptons/FTs is the way they flex, and supposedly absorb impacts and variable terrain, compared to traditional 4 buckle boots. I say supposedly, because everyone talks about this as if its a fact, although as time goes on, I'm becoming less convinced this is the case. Its been 4 years since I've been in a 4 buckle boot so I haven't done a side-by-side comparison in a while.

I'm moving back to a race boot this year, these to be exact: http://www.head.com/ski/products/boo...704/?region=eu

I'm going to keep my full tilts around and compare them directly side by side. I have a feeling I might be done w/ the Krypton/FT design, but time will tell.

Also, I'll save this for another thread but I've completely lost faith in Intuition liners and think they are a huge part of the problem. For the first two weeks, they ski great, and they are also very warm and comfortable. After those first couple weeks, it goes downhill fast. I go through 2-3 pairs of Intuitions a year and just can't believe how fast they pack out. Sadly, the alternatives aren't as warm or comfortable, not even close. I once swore on the Krypton/FT design and Intuitions, so it will be funny if I end up back in a 4 buckle race boot with foam injection or zipfit liners.

I think the OP is referring to the fact that some of the Kryptons are sold out and unavailable from Dalbello Sports.

I had never found a boot that truely fit me until I got Krypton Pro's last season. I have a narrow heel and ankle...my foot used to slosh around in everything. I had the liners cooked and fitted em right and they are money. The flex is perfect with the stiff tongue. I also switched out the stiffner under the footbed to the soft flex, makes for a nicer ride IMO. The only thing I wish is that they were a little lighter. But I love the 3 buckles and the 3 piece shell, easy to get in and out of. Favorite boot I've ever owned.
    northern lights and southern comfort...

Quote Originally Posted by darkstar1974 View Post
    I had never found a boot that truely fit me until I got Krypton Pro's last season. I have a narrow heel and ankle...
    Everyone's feet are different, but I just don't get the comments like this. Kryptons are anything but narrow in the heel and ankle. You don't even have to put your foot in the boot shell to find this out -- just reach in with your hand and feel the shape (or lack thereof) in the heel area in the boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Powdurr View Post
    My problem with Kryptons and FTs is the fit in the heel and ankle area. Its pretty funny how everyone seems to assume that the design gives you good heel retention, when in reality its worse than most boots. That has been my biggest problem, and it comes down to the design. If you look down into a Krypton or Full Tilt w/ no liner, there is essentially no heel cup or ankle pockets, there are just flat "walls" if you will. The only way to get a Krypton/Full Tilt to be tight around your heel and ankles is to build up your intuition liners with strategically placed foam on the outside of the liner. If you look down into a race boot, there is a very pronounced heel cup and ankle pockets. The design of the Kryptons/FTs doesn't allow this due to the way it flexes. I think having a boot shaped around your ankle and heel is a lot more effective than a flat-walled boot with foam donuts on the outside of the liner to keep your ankle tight.

What I do like about the Kryptons/FTs is the way they flex, and supposedly absorb impacts and variable terrain, compared to traditional 4 buckle boots. I say supposedly, because everyone talks about this as if its a fact, although as time goes on, I'm becoming less convinced this is the case. Its been 4 years since I've been in a 4 buckle boot so I haven't done a side-by-side comparison in a while.

I'm moving back to a race boot this year, these to be exact: http://www.head.com/ski/products/boo...704/?region=eu

I'm going to keep my full tilts around and compare them directly side by side. I have a feeling I might be done w/ the Krypton/FT design, but time will tell.

Also, I'll save this for another thread but I've completely lost faith in Intuition liners and think they are a huge part of the problem. For the first two weeks, they ski great, and they are also very warm and comfortable. After those first couple weeks, it goes downhill fast. I go through 2-3 pairs of Intuitions a year and just can't believe how fast they pack out. Sadly, the alternatives aren't as warm or comfortable, not even close. I once swore on the Krypton/FT design and Intuitions, so it will be funny if I end up back in a 4 buckle race boot with foam injection or zipfit liners.
    Bing-friggin-go. You've got it figured it out. I'm in the same boot now (Head 130 RS) and directly comparing the heel pocket to the Full Tilt/Flexon/Krypton shells completely supports what I said in my previous post. They're just not very anatomical compared to a Head, Lange, Rossi, Atomic, etc. high performance or race inspired shell.

I "thought" I had a really great fit with my Intuition liners and Full Tilt shells until I moved on to the 130 RS. I still have 3 sets of Full Tilt shells (same BSL as the 130 RS), all with different liners and footbeds and none of them provide the same level of performance or responsiveness as the Head boots.

I still use the Full Tilt shells on powder days - I appreciate their softer more progressive flex on those days (and I use the #10 tongues ).

I have had two pairs of Flexons and have had Kryptons since they came out, with a pair of X-waves inbetween. The Sollys were comfortable, skied great, but felt like I had novacain in my feet. No feel whatsoever. My problem is that I am addicted to the progressive flex, but fit issues now totally preclude using a 3-piece shell boot.

Are there any 2-piece shell boots that give you anything close to the sweet progressive flex of the Flexon/Kryptons? I can see using a Booster Strap, but is that really a decent substitute?

P.S. FWIW, I put Intuition Gold liners in my Krypts and they totally fucked up the flex.
    Gravity Junkie

I see what your saying about the lack of anatomical contours in the K-Pro heel, but heel movement han't been a problem for me. I think it's because I can crank the middle buckle very tight without discomfort, so my heel is held solidly down and back. On my 4 buckle boot if I cranked the two middle buckles that tight I'd get pressure on top of my foot and lose circulation. The benefit of an anatomical heel pocket might also depend on the shape of your heel; mine doesn't have very useful contours to help 'lock in' to a heel pocket.