Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What it is about small dogs...

... that I hate so much?

Having real trouble with my girl because of her two yorkies. Makes me sad. They're so goddamn fuckin cute that I just wanna squeeze them until they explode, and at the same time I hate them so much I want to

I can't help it. Am I a serial killer in the making? Am I the only one who hates little dogs?

Dogs start at 60#. Anything smaller than that and you are generally better off with a cat. Just be glad your GF doesn't have a beagle. Those things can charm your socks off one minute then raise the dead with their alarm bark the next.

Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    Dogs start at 60#. Anything smaller than that and you are generally better off with a cat. Just be glad your GF doesn't have a beagle. Those things can charm your socks off one minute then raise the dead with their alarm bark the next.
    I'd say 30-35 lbs. and up. There are some great dogs in that 30-50 lb. range that are big dog characters in a mid size frame spaniels, border collies, portuguese water dogs, and a host of others I'm not even mentioning.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Bode says fuck off.

27# of badass, he is.

The best dog I ever owned was a 8 lb yorkie. I never thought I'd say that. Smart, fearless, sweet, loyal.

It's your ego not letting you get close to them, so "Lighten up Francis..."
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

I dunno, tiny dogs just make me laugh. Yoga teacher here has two of them, walked by her car the other day, they both started yapping, just cracked me up. Barking like they thought they were real dogs...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Hate? That's a bit much. Certainly prefer big dogs, though. My wife talked me into a little dog last year. At home, with just us, he was a rad little dog. He'd crawl down into the covers and sleep at our feet all night. Not sure how he survived without any air, but he kept my feet warm.

He was a little shit outside the house. Terrible around dogs, terrible around other people. He bit the shit out of our realtor (still not sure that's a bad thing), but the last straw was when he started snapping at my daughter. Gave him to some nice folks that had a couple terriers and got a yellow lab who's a way bigger pain in the ass.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I think any dog over 60# is not really suited for skiing, running, mtb. Of course there are exceptions. 40-60# seems ideal, my heeler/lab cross is just over 50# and is unstoppable in snow and on the trail. I was on the fence about small dogs until my wife and girls got a terrier mix at the pound this summer and I have to admit she's pretty cool. Looks like a rough coat JRT and has tons of personality and is tough and very athletic.

I love all TRAINED dogs regardless of size. Some of the coolest mini wolfs I have ever met were small dogs that their owners worked hard with. Now untrained yappy mini mutts need a ride through the endzone for sure.

Heelers dominate entire herds of cows for a living, through violence and sheer intimidation, all day every day, and some of them are tiny little things. Quite possibly the toughest most badass canine lb for lb. Course cows are really dumb, but still.

Anything bigger than 80 isnt going to be able to keep up biking or skiing, especially year after year.

I think its mostly just that the kind of peopel that get tiny little shitty dogs do so because they think smaller dogs are less work, so they never train them. My neighbors have this shitty little black fluffy thing that constantly barks at everything and nothing and I have to chase out of my yard when I catch it shitting there a few times a week. In casual conversation I recently explained the basic tenets of classical conditioning, ei, positive and negative reinforcement, and the owners were AMAZED that saying no to your dog when it does something bad might actually make a difference. They have children as well.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Meet Bridger the Mini. 36.5 pounds of crazy. Gets along and plays with every dog that will put up with him and he'll let anyone pet him unless he decides it's more fun to tease them. Goes all day on the trail. Plays frisbee forever unless it is 90 degrees. Swims. Jogs with my wife. Fits in my car with four people in it so he gets to go everywhere. Doesn't run away/stays in yard. Shits in one place in that yard and a fifty pound bag of food lasts him a long, long time.

I think, for men, age and dog size are inversely related. I grew up with Brittany Spaniels and that's about as small of a dog as I can think I'd ever want to own. If it's large enough to catch and kill a bird/rabbit/mole, it's a dog, otherwise, it's bait. Really, as far as dogs are concerned, if it isn't a working dog, then it should probably be a mutt. Show dogs are retarded.

Smaller dogs are easier to travel with when a hotel has a weight limit.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

Meet Bridger the Mini. 36.5 pounds of crazy. Gets along and plays with every dog that will put up with him and he'll let anyone pet him unless he decides it's more fun to tease them. Goes all day on the trail. Plays frisbee forever unless it is 90 degrees. Swims. Jogs with my wife. Fits in my car with four people in it so he gets to go everywhere. Doesn't run away/stays in yard. Shits in one place in that yard and a fifty pound bag of food lasts him a long, long time.
    Cute dog. Nothing against that size dog. If it's well behaved, which sounds like yours is.
    I'm talking about 6-8lbs sized dogs...

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Smaller dogs are easier to travel with when a hotel has a weight limit.
    We looked into traveling with my girls' dogs to avoid pet-sitting costs, screw that ... even at 8lbs each, they charge around $250 EACH per flight leg. Argh.

What I hate about small dogs is so many of their owners never fucking train them! Every time I take my dog (a lab / collie mix) for a walk, the only time I need to tighten up on the leash is when passing small dogs that will more often than not try to start shit because of their stupid owners who are oblivious. With larger dogs there's almost never a problem.

I don't really hate small dogs, but this pisses me off.

Beagles rock. Anything smaller then that isn't a dog its a woman's accessory
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

It's usually the owners that I don't like.

My buddy adopted what would ordinarily be a froofy little dog, but she's really cute and awesome. Some kind of pom mix. She's like the size of my dog's head. Some piece of shit was abusing her. It's worked out really well for him and the dog.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    Beagles rock.
    fuck those dogs. I have met one beagle in my life that didn't howl. Just one. Every other one sounds like this at some point every single day. And if you don't think beagles do, you obviously have never lived near someone who owns one that leaves the house and works most of the day.

Just watching that reminds me of my college days. Fucking Morgan the hell dog. I hated my buddy Kevin who lived downstairs for getting that stupid dog. All fucking day long.

Their all a bit different, but the puking bark sucks, esp. The little German wiener dogs.

You guys that need big dogs just have small penises.

I've known lots of great little dogs, and I have known lots of shitty big dogs, and vice versa. It all depends on how you raise them. Like I tell my clients, "the problem with poodles is they are owned by poodle owners." Raise a poodle like a real dog, and it will be a real dog. That also applies to yorkies and chihuahuas.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post
    They're so goddamn fuckin cute that I just wanna squeeze them until they explode, and at the same time I hate them so much
    Completely normal reaction. Nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    What I hate about small dogs is so many of their owners never fucking train them!
    This. WTF is the deal with small dog owners? I've taken my dog to a bunch of training classes, not once has there been even a single rat dog in the class. Poorly trained barking machines.

Quote Originally Posted by ncognico View Post
    and I don't like the fact that they get all over everything - like a cat. The couch, the beds, your lap. Get the fuck off me dog - I don't want you rubbing your asshole on my jeans.
    You realize that most "lap dogs" were bread for just that purpose. The idea was that in olden times before there was the Orkin man, when humans had to deal pests like fleas. Aristocrats would carry around "lap dogs" so fleas and other pests would jump of of them and onto the dogs. So their jumping on you and cuddling is purely instinctual. Complaining about this fact is like complaining that a border collie chases/herds stuff, a doberman is aggressive and a beagle barks alot....
    This is the worst pain EVER!