Page 271 of 372 FirstFirst ... 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,775 of 9282
    Pod people?

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    What size rotini is that?
    Joint size. Non-gluten, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Pod people?
    Youth of the naasia.

Quote Originally Posted by cdlv View Post
    anyone doing any landrace thai strains in the us? chocolate thai was good stuff.
    I did some lemon thai kush last season and have a chocolate thai cross that just sprouted.

i'll have to be on the lookout for some chocolope then, doesn't seem to be any in the vegas area according to leafly, just tangelope.

Quote Originally Posted by cdlv View Post
    i'll have to be on the lookout for some chocolope then, doesn't seem to be any in the vegas area according to leafly, just tangelope.
    Such a bummer when you read about a strain and want to try it but can't find it locally. Hate that!

Edit: Just looked up Tangilope - looks good. I think you should give it a try and report back!

Name:  Tangilope.png
Views: 250
Size:  17.7 KB
    Last edited by KQ; 03-25-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post

All modern Thoroughbreds trace back to three stallions imported into England from the Middle East in the late 17th and early 18th centuries: the Byerley Turk (1680s), the Darley Arabian (1704), and the Godolphin Arabian (1729).[18][19] Other stallions of oriental breeding were less influential, but still made noteworthy contributions to the breed. These included the Alcock's Arabian,[20] D'Arcy's White Turk, Leedes Arabian, and Curwen's Bay Barb.[21][22][notes 1] Another was the Brownlow Turk, who, among other attributes, is thought to be largely responsible for the gray coat color in Thoroughbreds.[20] In all, about 160 stallions of Oriental breeding have been traced in the historical record as contributing to the creation of the Thoroughbred. The addition of horses of Eastern bloodlines, whether Arabian, Barb, or Turk, to the native English mares[23] ultimately led to the creation of the General Stud Book (GSB) in 1791 and the practice of official registration of horses.[12] According to Peter Willett, about 50% of the foundation stallions appear to have been of Arabian bloodlines, with the remainder being evenly divided between Turkoman and Barb breeding.[23][notes 2]

Each of the three major foundation sires was, coincidentally, the ancestor of a grandson or great-great-grandson who was the only male descendant to perpetuate each respective horse's male line: Matchem was the only descendant of his grandsire, the Godolphin Arabian, to maintain a male line to the present;[25] the Byerley Turk's male line was preserved by Herod (or King Herod), a great-great-grandson;[26] and the male line of the Darley Arabian owes its existence to great-great-grandson Eclipse, who was the dominant racehorse of his day and never defeated.[21][27] One genetic study indicates that 95% of all male Thoroughbreds trace their direct male line (via the Y chromosome) to the Darley Arabian.[28] However, in modern Thoroughbred pedigrees, most horses have more crosses to the Godolphin Arabian (13.8%) than to the Darley Arabian (6.5%) when all lines of descent (maternal and paternal) are considered. Further, as a percentage of contributions to current Thoroughbred bloodlines, Curwen's Bay Barb (4.2%) appears more often than the Byerley Turk (3.3%). The majority of modern Thoroughbreds alive today trace to a total of only 27 or 28 stallions from the 18th and 19th centuries.[28][29][/i]

This always galls me because I LOVE Tbreds. They are my favorite breed and to me the most beautiful horse out there but Arabs not so much. They do nothing for me what-so-ever. Funny that something I consider so beautiful and the embodiment of what a horse should be is based on a breed for which I have no affinity.

Can be that way with cannabis too - one strain that makes you want to crawl out of your skin can be made into something entirely different that brings you inner peace and creativity when crossed with another.

I missed this link the first time through your post. Interesting. Alaska... Amsterdam...sure... I can see it. LOL! Wonder if Sarah Palin partakes.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

LOL! Sent to me by a friend - Bingo and Bongs!

More aging Americans are using pot to soothe what ails them

LAGUNA WOODS, Calif. (AP) — The group of white-haired folks — some pushing walkers, others using canes — arrive right on time at the gates of Laguna Woods Village, an upscale retirement community in the picturesque hills that frame this Southern California suburb a few miles from Disneyland.

There they board a bus for a quick trip to a building that, save for the green Red Cross-style sign in the window, resembles a trendy coffee bar. The people, mostly in their 70s and 80s, pass the next several hours enjoying a light lunch, playing a few games of bingo and selecting their next month’s supply of cannabis-infused products.

“It’s like the ultimate senior experience,” laughs 76-year-old retired beauty products distributor Ron Atkin as he sits down to watch the bingo at the back of the Bud and Bloom marijuana dispensary in Santa Ana.

Most states now have legal medical marijuana, and 10 of them, including California, allow anyone 21 or older to use pot recreationally. The federal government still outlaws the drug even as acceptance increases. The 2018 General Social Survey, an annual sampling of Americans’ views, found a record 61 percent back legalization, and those 65 and older are increasingly supportive.

Indeed, many industry officials say the fastest-growing segment of their customer base is people like Atkin — aging baby boomers or even those a little older who are seeking to treat the aches and sleeplessness and other maladies of old age with the same herb that many of them once passed around at parties.

“I would say the average age of our customers is around 60, maybe even a little older,” said Kelty Richardson, a registered nurse with the Halos Health clinic in Boulder, Colorado, which provides medical examinations and sells physician-recommended cannabis through its online store.

Its medical director, Dr. Joseph Cohen, conducts “Cannabis 101” seminars at the nearby Balfour Senior Living community for residents who want to know which strains are best for easing arthritic pain or improving sleep.

Relatively little scientific study has verified the benefits of marijuana for specific problems. There’s evidence pot can relieve chronic pain in adults, according to a 2017 report from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, but the study also concluded that the lack of scientific information poses a risk to public health.

At Bud and Bloom, winners of the bingo games take home new vape pens, but Atkin isn’t really there for that. He’s been coming regularly for two years to buy cannabis-infused chocolate bars and sublingual drops to treat his painful spinal stenosis since the prescription opiates he had been taking quit working.

It was “desperation” that brought him here, he said, adding that his doctors didn’t suggest he try medical marijuana. But they didn’t discourage him either.

The dispensary is filled with the 50 people from the bus as they peruse counters and coolers containing everything from gel caps to drops to cannabis-infused drinks, not to mention plenty of old-fashioned weed.

Adele Frascella, leaning on her cane, purchases a package of gummy candies she says helps keep her arthritic pain at bay.

“I don’t like to take an opioid,” said Frascella, 70.

Fashionably dressed with sparkling silver earrings, Frascella confirms with a smile that she was a pot smoker in her younger days.

“I used to do it when I was like 18, 19, 20,” she said. “And then I had a baby, got married and stopped.”

She took it up again a few years ago, even investing in a “volcano,” a pricey, high-tech version of the old-fashioned bong that Gizmodo calls “the ultimate stoner gadget.” But these days, like many other seniors, she prefers edibles to smoking.

Renee Lee, another baby boomer who smoked as a youth, got back into it more than a dozen years ago after the clinical psychologist underwent brain surgery and other medical procedures that she said had her taking “10 meds a day, four times a day.”

“And I wasn’t getting any better,” she said, adding that she asked her doctors if she might try medical marijuana as a last resort. They said go ahead and she found it ended her pain.

In 2012 she founded the Rossmoor Medical Marijuana Club in her upscale San Francisco Bay Area retirement community.

“We started with 20 people, and we kept it really quiet for about a year and a half,” she said, noting that although California legalized medical cannabis in 1996, it was still seen in some quarters as an outlaw drug.

Her group has since grown to more than 1,000 members and puts on regular events, including lectures by pro-cannabis doctors and nurses.

People Lee’s age — 65 and over — are the fastest-growing segment of the marijuana-using population, said Dr. Gary Small, professor of psychiatry and aging at the University of California, Los Angeles.

He believes more studies on the drug’s effects on older people are needed. And while it may improve quality of life by relieving pain, anxiety and other problems, he said, careless, unsupervised use can cause trouble.

“We know that cannabis can cause side effects, particularly in older people,” he said. “They can get dizzy. It can even impair memory if the dose is too high or new ingredients are wrong. And dizziness can lead to falls, which can be quite serious.”

Richardson said Colorado saw an uptick in hospital visits by older users soon after the state legalized cannabis in 2012. The problem, he said, was often caused by novices downing too many edibles.

That’s a lesson Dick Watts, 75, learned the hard way. The retired New Jersey roofing contractor who keeps a winter home at Laguna Woods Village began having trouble sleeping through the night as he got into his 70s. He attended a seniors’ seminar where he learned marijuana might help, so he got a cannabis-infused candy bar. He immediately ate the whole thing.

“Man, that was nearly lethal,” recalled Watts, laughing.

Now when he has trouble sleeping he takes just a small sliver of candy before bed. He said he wakes up clear-headed and refreshed.

“And I have it up on a shelf so my grandkids can’t get to it,” Watts said.

Apparently some people don't get Cheech and Chong references.

Pedro: I been smoking since I was born, man, I can smoke anything, man. You know like I smoke that Michoacán, and Acapulco Gold, man. I even smoke that tied stick, you know?
    Man Stoner: "Tied stick?"
    Pedro: Yeah, you know that stuff that's tied to a stick.
    Man Stoner: Ohh, THAI stick.

LONDON (AP) — Smoking high-potency marijuana every day could increase the chances of developing psychosis by nearly five times, according to the biggest-ever study to examine the impact of pot on psychotic disorder rates.

The research adds to previous studies that have found links between marijuana and mental health problems, but still does not definitively pinpoint marijuana as the cause.

Psychotic disorders — in which people lose touch with reality — are typically triggered by factors including genetics and the environment. But experts say the new study’s findings have implications for jurisdictions legalizing marijuana, warning they should consider the potential impact on their mental health services.

“If we think there’s something particular about (high-potency) cannabis, then making that harder to get a hold of, could be a useful harm-reduction measure,” said Suzanne Gage, of the University of Liverpool, who was not connected to the new study.

Researchers at King’s College London and elsewhere analyzed data from a dozen sites across Europe and Brazil from 2010 to 2015. About 900 people who were diagnosed with a first episode of the disorder at a mental health clinic, including those with delusions and hallucinations, were compared with more than 1,200 healthy patients. After surveying the patients about their use of cannabis and other drugs, researchers found daily marijuana use was more common among patients with a first episode of psychosis compared with the healthy, control group.

The scientists estimated that people who smoked marijuana on a daily basis were three times more likely to be diagnosed with psychosis compared with people who never used the drug. For those who used high-potency marijuana daily, the risk jumped to nearly five times. The paper was published online Tuesday by the journal Lancet. It was paid for by funders including Britain’s Medical Research Council, the Sao Paulo Research Foundation and the Wellcome Trust.

“If you decide to use high-potency marijuana, you should bear in mind: Psychosis is a potential risk,” said Dr. Marta Di Forti, of King’s College London and the study’s lead author. She said it was unknown how frequently people could smoke lower-potency marijuana without raising their likelihood of psychosis, but that less than weekly use appeared to pose no risk.

Di Forti and colleagues estimated that in Amsterdam, about half of new psychosis cases were associated with smoking high-potency pot.

Gage noted that it was possible that people with a family history of psychosis or other risk factors might be more susceptible to developing problems like psychosis or schizophrenia if they used cannabis.

“That could be the thing that tips the scale for some people,” she said. “Cannabis for them could be an extra risk factor, but it definitely doesn’t have to be involved. If you use cannabis, it doesn’t mean you are definitely going to develop psychosis.”

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Pedro: I been smoking since I was born, man, I can smoke anything, man. You know like I smoke that Michoacán, and Acapulco Gold, man. I even smoke that tied stick, you know?
    Man Stoner: "Tied stick?"
    Pedro: Yeah, you know that stuff that's tied to a stick.
    Man Stoner: Ohh, THAI stick.
    LOL!!! Been many many years since I've seen any of those movies and I'm sure I was high when I watched them. I remember a few lines but yeah... that one went over my head like a puff of smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    LONDON (AP) — Smoking high-potency marijuana every day could increase the chances of developing psychosis by nearly five times, according to the biggest-ever study to examine the impact of pot on psychotic disorder rates.

The research adds to previous studies that have found links between marijuana and mental health problems, but still does not definitively pinpoint marijuana as the cause.

Psychotic disorders — in which people lose touch with reality — are typically triggered by factors including genetics and the environment. But experts say the new study’s findings have implications for jurisdictions legalizing marijuana, warning they should consider the potential impact on their mental health services.

“If we think there’s something particular about (high-potency) cannabis, then making that harder to get a hold of, could be a useful harm-reduction measure,” said Suzanne Gage, of the University of Liverpool, who was not connected to the new study.
    Oh noes! The Reefer Madness! We don't know but we think maybe so let's just err on the side of paranoia.

Forkin' A! Watching the nightly news is enough to give me psychosis but yeah... everything in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    I know more than a handful of hardcore stoners who have lost thier sence of reality.

Most seem to come back to earth once they quit/slow down. But some don’t.
    I m gonna plead the fifth.

I know more than a handful of hardcore stoners who have lost thier sence of reality.

Most seem to come back to earth once they quit/slow down. But some don’t.
    I know 50 times more people that this and worse has happened to them from alcohol

Some people are light weights...

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    I know 50 times more people that this and worse has happened to them from alcohol

Some people are light weights...
    Yeah, I was was going to say the same thing. Best friend drank herself to death and I've watched more than a few people go through the DTs. Not pretty. Talk about psychosis!

I know this guy who is totally anti cannabis (that's for faggots!). He told me of a friend of his who locked himself in a hotel room and drank himself to death and "by God he was a man to the end, he wasn't no pot smoker!" <roll eyes>

So many classic lines...

Cheech- “you ain’t afraid of a little speed are ya?”
    Man- “oh hey you got some speed!”

“I think that’s a toothpick man!”

“It’s Labrador,...”

“I think we’re parked, man.”

“That’s fucking vodka, man!”

I could go on and on for the rest of the flick.
    I wonder what great Dane tastes like.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    LOL! Sent to me by a friend - Bingo and Bongs!

More aging Americans are using pot to soothe what ails them

LAGUNA WOODS, Calif. (AP) — The group of white-haired folks — some pushing walkers, others using canes — arrive right on time at the gates of Laguna Woods Village, an upscale retirement community in the picturesque hills that frame this Southern California suburb a few miles from Disneyland.

There they board a bus for a quick trip to a building that, save for the green Red Cross-style sign in the window, resembles a trendy coffee bar. The people, mostly in their 70s and 80s, pass the next several hours enjoying a light lunch, playing a few games of bingo and selecting their next month’s supply of cannabis-infused products.

“It’s like the ultimate senior experience,” laughs 76-year-old retired beauty products distributor Ron Atkin as he sits down to watch the bingo at the back of the Bud and Bloom marijuana dispensary in Santa Ana.

Most states now have legal medical marijuana, and 10 of them, including California, allow anyone 21 or older to use pot recreationally. The federal government still outlaws the drug even as acceptance increases. The 2018 General Social Survey, an annual sampling of Americans’ views, found a record 61 percent back legalization, and those 65 and older are increasingly supportive.

Indeed, many industry officials say the fastest-growing segment of their customer base is people like Atkin — aging baby boomers or even those a little older who are seeking to treat the aches and sleeplessness and other maladies of old age with the same herb that many of them once passed around at parties.

“I would say the average age of our customers is around 60, maybe even a little older,” said Kelty Richardson, a registered nurse with the Halos Health clinic in Boulder, Colorado, which provides medical examinations and sells physician-recommended cannabis through its online store.

Its medical director, Dr. Joseph Cohen, conducts “Cannabis 101” seminars at the nearby Balfour Senior Living community for residents who want to know which strains are best for easing arthritic pain or improving sleep.

Relatively little scientific study has verified the benefits of marijuana for specific problems. There’s evidence pot can relieve chronic pain in adults, according to a 2017 report from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, but the study also concluded that the lack of scientific information poses a risk to public health.

At Bud and Bloom, winners of the bingo games take home new vape pens, but Atkin isn’t really there for that. He’s been coming regularly for two years to buy cannabis-infused chocolate bars and sublingual drops to treat his painful spinal stenosis since the prescription opiates he had been taking quit working.

It was “desperation” that brought him here, he said, adding that his doctors didn’t suggest he try medical marijuana. But they didn’t discourage him either.

The dispensary is filled with the 50 people from the bus as they peruse counters and coolers containing everything from gel caps to drops to cannabis-infused drinks, not to mention plenty of old-fashioned weed.

Adele Frascella, leaning on her cane, purchases a package of gummy candies she says helps keep her arthritic pain at bay.

“I don’t like to take an opioid,” said Frascella, 70.

Fashionably dressed with sparkling silver earrings, Frascella confirms with a smile that she was a pot smoker in her younger days.

“I used to do it when I was like 18, 19, 20,” she said. “And then I had a baby, got married and stopped.”

She took it up again a few years ago, even investing in a “volcano,” a pricey, high-tech version of the old-fashioned bong that Gizmodo calls “the ultimate stoner gadget.” But these days, like many other seniors, she prefers edibles to smoking.

Renee Lee, another baby boomer who smoked as a youth, got back into it more than a dozen years ago after the clinical psychologist underwent brain surgery and other medical procedures that she said had her taking “10 meds a day, four times a day.”

“And I wasn’t getting any better,” she said, adding that she asked her doctors if she might try medical marijuana as a last resort. They said go ahead and she found it ended her pain.

In 2012 she founded the Rossmoor Medical Marijuana Club in her upscale San Francisco Bay Area retirement community.

“We started with 20 people, and we kept it really quiet for about a year and a half,” she said, noting that although California legalized medical cannabis in 1996, it was still seen in some quarters as an outlaw drug.

Her group has since grown to more than 1,000 members and puts on regular events, including lectures by pro-cannabis doctors and nurses.

People Lee’s age — 65 and over — are the fastest-growing segment of the marijuana-using population, said Dr. Gary Small, professor of psychiatry and aging at the University of California, Los Angeles.

He believes more studies on the drug’s effects on older people are needed. And while it may improve quality of life by relieving pain, anxiety and other problems, he said, careless, unsupervised use can cause trouble.

“We know that cannabis can cause side effects, particularly in older people,” he said. “They can get dizzy. It can even impair memory if the dose is too high or new ingredients are wrong. And dizziness can lead to falls, which can be quite serious.”

Richardson said Colorado saw an uptick in hospital visits by older users soon after the state legalized cannabis in 2012. The problem, he said, was often caused by novices downing too many edibles.

That’s a lesson Dick Watts, 75, learned the hard way. The retired New Jersey roofing contractor who keeps a winter home at Laguna Woods Village began having trouble sleeping through the night as he got into his 70s. He attended a seniors’ seminar where he learned marijuana might help, so he got a cannabis-infused candy bar. He immediately ate the whole thing.

“Man, that was nearly lethal,” recalled Watts, laughing.

Now when he has trouble sleeping he takes just a small sliver of candy before bed. He said he wakes up clear-headed and refreshed.

“And I have it up on a shelf so my grandkids can’t get to it,” Watts said.
    These are the voters that make legalization possible. Part of the #reefermadness type generation and "only hippies smoked dope" finally see we aren't all just pot heads and there is some useful purpose for the devil's lettuce.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Anyone in this thread in the Jackson area? The mountains look quite dangerous atm

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Two of my favorite things!
    genetic engineering and cannabinoids?

"Complete biosynthesis of cannabinoids and their unnatural analogues in yeast." Nature volume 567, pages 123–126 (2019)

ABSTRACT:

Cannabis sativa L. has been cultivated and used around the globe for its medicinal properties for millennia1. Some cannabinoids, the hallmark constituents of Cannabis, and their analogues have been investigated extensively for their potential medical applications2. Certain cannabinoid formulations have been approved as prescription drugs in several countries for the treatment of a range of human ailments3. However, the study and medicinal use of cannabinoids has been hampered by the legal scheduling of Cannabis, the low in planta abundances of nearly all of the dozens of known cannabinoids4, and their structural complexity, which limits bulk chemical synthesis. Here we report the complete biosynthesis of the major cannabinoids cannabigerolic acid, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid, cannabidiolic acid, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabivarinic acid and cannabidivarinic acid in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, from the simple sugar galactose. To accomplish this, we engineered the native mevalonate pathway to provide a high flux of geranyl pyrophosphate and introduced a heterologous, multi-organism-derived hexanoyl-CoA biosynthetic pathway5. We also introduced the Cannabis genes that encode the enzymes involved in the biosynthesis of olivetolic acid6, as well as the gene for a previously undiscovered enzyme with geranylpyrophosphate livetolate geranyltransferase activity and the genes for corresponding cannabinoid synthases7,8. Furthermore, we established a biosynthetic approach that harnessed the promiscuity of several pathway genes to produce cannabinoid analogues. Feeding different fatty acids to our engineered strains yielded cannabinoid analogues with modifications in the part of the molecule that is known to alter receptor binding affinity and potency9. We also demonstrated that our biological system could be complemented by simple synthetic chemistry to further expand the accessible chemical space. Our work presents a platform for the production of natural and unnatural cannabinoids that will allow for more rigorous study of these compounds and could be used in the development of treatments for a variety of human health problems.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6362252/

"A cell-free platform for the prenylation of natural products and application to cannabinoid production." Nat Commun. 2019 Feb 4;10(1):565

Prenylation of natural compounds adds structural diversity, alters biological activity, and enhances therapeutic potential. Because prenylated compounds often have a low natural abundance, alternative production methods are needed. Metabolic engineering enables natural product biosynthesis from inexpensive biomass, but is limited by the complexity of secondary metabolite pathways, intermediate and product toxicities, and substrate accessibility. Alternatively, enzyme catalyzed prenyl transfer provides excellent regio- and stereo-specificity, but requires expensive isoprenyl pyrophosphate substrates. Here we develop a flexible cell-free enzymatic prenylating system that generates isoprenyl pyrophosphate substrates from glucose to prenylate an array of natural products. The system provides an efficient route to cannabinoid precursors cannabigerolic acid (CBGA) and cannabigerovarinic acid (CBGVA) at >1 g/L, and a single enzymatic step converts the precursors into cannabidiolic acid (CBDA) and cannabidivarinic acid (CBDVA). Cell-free methods may provide a powerful alternative to metabolic engineering for chemicals that are hard to produce in living organisms.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post
    Anyone in this thread in the Jackson area? The mountains look quite dangerous atm
    What's Ass To Mouth got to do with it?

Wyoming sucks, it just does.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post
    Either you're stoned or I am because that post, in this thread, is not making sense to me.