Page 270 of 372 FirstFirst ... 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 ... LastLast
Results 6,726 to 6,750 of 9282
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Wow. Not much THC in there.
    Its pretty midrange. Those are prerolls, not concentrate.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    21.6% is pretty decent if you don't want to get crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    21.6% is pretty decent if you don't want to get crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    plenty for flower
    Gotcha. Don't buy flower so yeah, I'm used to seeing much higher numbers.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Picked up some nice Durban cuts. Smells more like anise than ganj. That anise smell and sorta menthol taste is something I remember from when...
    They're trimmed & trained and finally ready to throw in the tent with the Quantum Kush bagseed monsters, which have 16 tops each going into flower instead of 4-8 because I know they want to stretch like hell and go scandalous and generally behave like GGW.
    The QK goes through feed like Audrey II too...srsly sucks down 2x what the Durban likes. But their mom is the store's top shelf hottie, so there's a good chance one of her shady S1 daughters turns out thicc.

Pics or gtfo

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Picked up some nice Durban cuts. Smells more like anise than ganj. That anise smell and sorta menthol taste is something I remember from when...
    They're trimmed & trained and finally ready to throw in the tent with the Quantum Kush bagseed monsters, which have 16 tops each going into flower instead of 4-8 because I know they want to stretch like hell and go scandalous and generally behave like GGW.
    The QK goes through feed like Audrey II too...srsly sucks down 2x what the Durban likes. But their mom is the store's top shelf hottie, so there's a good chance one of her shady S1 daughters turns out thicc.

What a great strain! Love geeking out on the genetics and terps:

Durban Poison has long been a favorite in the Pacific Northwest and not surprisingly, is sofresh farms' most popular strain. Durban Poison suits itself well with the active NW crowd yet also appeals to those with a creative side. With its unique terpene profile, nothing smells or tastes quite like it. Open a jar of Durban Poison and the room fills with the scent of spicy anise mixed with pine trees and citrus. Everyone immediately knows when Durban’s in the house.

Land race genetics
    Durban Poison is a land-race strain with pure African genetics. It comes from an area in South Africa near the port of Durban. The area has a humid, subtropical climate with hot summers and warm, dry winters. Since Durban, Africa, is physically far from many other well-known cannabis growing areas the plant has evolved into a unique strain all its own. Durban Poison is unlike the hash plants of Afghanistan, Sativas of South American or the Asian strains we all know so well. This exclusive breeding has led to an increase in rare beneficial cannabinoids such as THCV.

What is THCV?
    Most cannabis consumers are familiar with the effects of THC and CBD cannabinoids. Durban Poison has been known to test high in THC but it also contains a unique cannabinoid called THCV. As the name suggests, it’s much like THC but with other pronounced effects. What are the benefits of THCV?

THCV is known to be an appetite suppressant – That’s right, instead of giving you the “munchies” Durban Poison has been shown to reduce your appetite. This is great if you’re on a diet.
    THCV may help reduce anxiety attacks – People experiencing panic attacks or PTSD may find relief in the effects of THCV without reducing normal emotions.
    THCV has been shown to help diabetes – THCV may help the bodies ability to reduce insulin resistance and regulate blood sugar levels.
    THCV may help with Alzheimer’s disease - Brain lesions, motor control and tremors appear to improve.
    THCV may increase bone growth – THCV has been shown to promote growth of new bone cells.
    Terpenes

Terpenes are a group of essential oils that gives each cannabis strain their unique characteristics and aroma. Durban Poison has always tested high for terpenes and its unique profile is like no other. What are the main terpenes that makes Durban Poison so special? Glad you asked!

Terpinolene – Think piney, herbal, floral with a hint of citrus. It’s used in many of the lotions, perfumes and soaps you find on your local grocery shelf. Terpinolene can be found in pine trees, lilacs, apples and cumin.

Potential medical benefits include: anticancer, antibacterial, antioxidant, sedative, antifungal

Myrcene – Found in many fruits and other fragrant plants such as hops, basil, bay tree, parsley, mango lemongrass and thyme. It’s thought to help produce a sedative, relaxed effect on the user.

Potential medical benefits include: anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, sedative, pain-relief (Analgesic)

Ocimene – known for its sweet fruity, herbal and woodsy scent. Ocimene is used in perfumes and occurs in other plants like pepper, mangoes, orchids and mint.

Potential medical benefits include: antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, decongestant

Pinene – As you can imagine, pinene smells a lot like a pine trees. You can also find it in basil, parsley, rosemary and even orange peels.

Potential medical benefits include: Pinene has been known to improve lung function (Bronchodilator), short-term memory loss, anti-inflammatory and alertness.

Limonene – This is the primary terpene found in citrus fruit. Everyone is familiar with the intense citrus smell of lemons, limes and grapefruits.

Potential medical benefits include: stress relief, antifungal, antibacterial, heartburn and mood enhancement. When you’ve had a hard day and need to relax, look for the strains that smell like lemon/lime.

Caryophyllene – Think spicy! Most of our favorite spices are filled with this terpene. Pepper, cinnamon, basil, oregano, rosemary and cloves are just a few.

Potential medical benefits include: anti-inflammatory, pain-relief (Analgesic), anti-depressant, anti-cancer and anti-anxiety.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

^^^ I love DP as well, but the problem is getting cuts. Nobody around here wants to grow it commercially any more because its flower cycle is 14 weeks (if some source sez less, they are lying)

It grows some nice buds though
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0580.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	628.2 KB 
ID:	275518
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0581.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	518.8 KB 
ID:	275519

What a great strain! Love geeking out on the genetics and terps:
    Oh yeah! Durban Poison is a nice one - smiley clear-headed up bud that makes a distinctive smoke, and it's an exotic African landrace that breeds true. Durbs is sorta like the Arabian horse of ganj - once you giss it, you know it when you meet it again, pure or in crosses.

Soft lemony Thai is the same way - a landrace sativa with deep stable genetics from eons of growing wild in a certain range of environment in SE Asia. More "opiumy" Afghan from The Silk Road across SW Asia is the basis for all the thickleaf indicas.
    I don't know if there are any New World landraces? Or maybe there are that just aren't great for endo? Sure seems a lot of variety in Columbian and Mexican genetics...A lot of variety in environment too though... But how come we don't hear about classic Indo landrace strains? 17,000 islands some hudge, bigass mountains and climate zones, Java Man, etc. I guess same might be said for Australia too though, or New Guinea...Maybe the Khmer weed was the shit even before Angkor?

Edit: They told me 60 days for this cut. We'll see how fast it sets buttons...TBS pics is deffo the Durban - it's never going to be as dense and chewy as an indica - but Durban has been hybridized into some shor-flowering and well mannered crosses that no one can say didn't go 8' tall and 16 weeks when they smoke it. Trainwreck was an outdoor-only cut until someone crossed it to a 49-day wonder indoors.They got some 9-week Hazes around too...
    But LED surrounds can grow 5' trees in a 5' tent anymore for 1/4 the power of HIDs & cooling, and it won't be long before most of America can stop off at the dope store on the way home from work. So plant height and shortest flowering may be less and less important to the home brewer as technology improves.

Name:  4-1.gif
Views: 278
Size:  12.9 KB
    Name:  4-2.gif
Views: 297
Size:  13.0 KB
    Name:  4-4.gif
Views: 274
Size:  12.4 KB
    Last edited by highangle; 03-23-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Soft lemony Thai is the same way - a landrace sativa with deep stable genetics from eons of growing wild in a certain range of environment in SE Asia. More "opiumy" Afghan from The Silk Road across SW Asia is the basis for all the thickleaf indicas.
    I don't know if there are any New World landraces? Or maybe there are that just aren't great for endo? Sure seems a lot of variety in Columbian and Mexican genetics...A lot of variety in environment too though... But how come we don't hear about classic Indo landrace strains? 17,000 islands some hudge, bigass mountains and climate zones, Java Man, etc. I guess same might be said for Australia too though, or New Guinea...Maybe the Khmer weed was the shit even before Angkor?
    Don't forget the Hawaiians!

I will never forget the first time I had Puna (I want to say it was roughly 1978). For one thing I only got a tiny amount for $10 when I was used to 3-finger baggies of Columbian and for another, the smell! OMG the smell! It was like pine needles and it was sticky. Of course we smoked the entire thing not having a clue that what we had wasn't your grandmother's grass. Whoo boy.... were we high!

Hawaiian Pakalōlō Roots: A History of Cannabis in Hawai'i

...and they say weed makes you lazy. You guys are like scientists.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That is what is so cool about the new cannabis paradigm. I love learning about the history, genetics and terps and how little adjustments during the grow can change how the plant perform.

Then there is the whole extraction thing which is a total wormhole with regard to preserving terps or adding them back. Like that rep from Fairwinds was saying to me the other day - eventually we will be choosing our strains based on their terp profile and dialing in the exact experience we want with regard to taste, effect and benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    ^ thats weird. It’s all over here in Eug. Pretty much every store has it in some form.

https://www.leafly.com/sativa/durban...gene-or?page=1
    Got cuts for my last two crops from local commercial growers, both of which can no longer justify the 50% longer flower cycle. Now, All the dispos in Bend get their DP bud from one grower - in Clackamas

Highangle - IME the buds start to sparkle at eight weeks, then take for-fuckin-ever for tricombs to get cloudy. I’ve flushed at eight weeks and let them starve - doesn’t seem to speed it up at all. Let me know what you find.

THere’s a DP-C99 cross I’ve been trying to find cuts - eight week flower, still has the espresso feel of the DP and a nice trippy feel from Cindy. Called Durban Princess

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Growing thousand-dollar plants indoors is an empirical exercise. Lumens and Ph and days of Flower and shit is the shortcut, the easy way. There's no "old way" to crop righteous bud indoors. This is 'The Day' that people will talk about generations hence...

But LED surrounds can grow 5' trees in a 5' tent anymore for 1/4 the power of HIDs & cooling, and it won't be long before most of America can stop off at the dope store on the way home from work. So plant height and shortest flowering may be less and less important to the home brewer as technology improves.
    Just wait until RJ Reynolds gets their hand in the game.

BTW - nice narrative! Bonus points for the use of "gizz"

Edit/Add: I have to say I do get a big smile on my face every time I drive past one of our cannabis stores. So nice and just amazing that if you want it you can just stop in and buy it.
    Last edited by KQ; 03-24-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Anyone got a seed connect for DP or Panama Red?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    What size rotini is that?

I don't get high, but I suggest if you were to smoke up and were seeking to go down the rabbit hole, see if you can find out the difference, or not, between rotini and fusilli.

Just wait until RJ Reynolds gets their hand in the game.

BTW - nice narrative! Bonus points for the use of "gizz"

"Jeneral Imprezzon ov Zmoke en Zmell"

More about the importance of landraces, and of breeding [selection of] horses [or ganj or tomatoes or puppies] for desired traits...Because selection from preexisting genes is still mankind's only active genetic tool:

[Arabian]Strains and pedigrees
    For centuries, the Bedouin tracked the ancestry of each horse through an oral tradition. Horses of the purest blood were known as Asil and crossbreeding with non-Asil horses was forbidden. Mares were the most valued, both for riding and breeding, and pedigree families were traced through the female line. The Bedouin did not believe in gelding male horses, and considered stallions too intractable to be good war horses, thus they kept very few colts, selling most, and culling those of poor quality.[87]

Over time, the Bedouin developed several sub-types or strains of Arabian horse, each with unique characteristics,[88] and traced through the maternal line only.[89] According to the Arabian Horse Association, the five primary strains were known as the Keheilan, Seglawi, Abeyan, Hamdani and Hadban.[90] Carl Raswan, a promoter and writer about Arabian horses from the middle of the 20th century, held the belief that there were only three strains, Kehilan, Seglawi and Muniqi. Raswan felt that these strains represented body "types" of the breed, with the Kehilan being "masculine", the Seglawi being "feminine" and the Muniqi being "speedy".[91] There were also lesser strains, sub-strains, and regional variations in strain names.[92][93] Therefore, many Arabian horses were not only Asil, of pure blood, but also bred to be pure in strain, with crossbreeding between strains discouraged, though not forbidden, by some tribes. Purity of bloodline was very important to the Bedouin, and they also believed in telegony, believing if a mare was ever bred to a stallion of "impure" blood, the mare herself and all future offspring would be "contaminated" by the stallion and hence no longer Asil.[94]

This complex web of bloodline and strain was an integral part of Bedouin culture; they not only knew the pedigrees and history of their best war mares in detail, but also carefully tracked the breeding of their camels, Saluki dogs, and their own family or tribal history.[95] Eventually, written records began to be kept; the first written pedigrees in the Middle East that specifically used the term "Arabian" date to 1330 AD.[96] ...

The Turkoman horse, or Turkmene, was an Oriental horse breed from the steppes of Central Asia, now represented by the modern Akhal-Teke.[1] They influenced many modern horse breeds, including the Thoroughbred horse. Some horses bred in Iran and Turkmenistan today are still referred to as Turkoman, and have similar characteristics.

Modern descendants include the Akhal-Teke, the Iomud (also called Yamud or Yomud), the Goklan and Nokhorli.[2]

The Turkoman horse was noted for its endurance. It had a slender body, similar to a greyhound. Although refined in appearance, the breed was actually one of the toughest in the world. They had a straight profile, long neck, and sloping shoulders. Their back was long, with sloping quarters and tucked-up abdomen. They had long and muscular legs. The horses ranged from 15–16 hands.

The coat of a Turkomen horse could have been of any color, and usually possessed a metallic sheen. This was due to a change in the structure of the individual hair. Many theories have been formulated to explain why hair of the Turkomen and its descendants shines, but none explain why the Turkoman horses in particular benefitted from this genetic difference and why other horses would not.

The Turkoman and the Arabian compared
    Though both the Arabian horse and the Turkoman may have had a common ancestor in the oriental horse prototype, in their purest old forms they were very like one another in some ways and very different in others. Both had excellent speed and stamina. Both had extremely fine coats and delicate skin, unlike many horse breeds found in Europe. They both had large eyes, wide foreheads and tapering muzzles. They both came from very arid environments. Here, however, the similarities between the Turkoman of Central Asia and the Arabians of the Nejd desert lands of Central Arabia end, and the horses begin to diverge to suit their environments and the fighting styles of their breeders. Some divergence may be attributable solely to natural selection of landrace traits, other differences may be attributable to selective breeding. The Turkoman had small hooves. This was an adaptation to the steppes of the Central Asia, which largely consisted of a hard, rocky ground, covered with coarse sand, more like fine gravel and of stiff, parched vegetation. The Arabian had fairly large hooves for its size. In the Central Arabian desert there is deep sand as well as hard terrain. A larger hoof is needed here to cope with this type of terrain. ...

All modern Thoroughbreds trace back to three stallions imported into England from the Middle East in the late 17th and early 18th centuries: the Byerley Turk (1680s), the Darley Arabian (1704), and the Godolphin Arabian (1729).[18][19] Other stallions of oriental breeding were less influential, but still made noteworthy contributions to the breed. These included the Alcock's Arabian,[20] D'Arcy's White Turk, Leedes Arabian, and Curwen's Bay Barb.[21][22][notes 1] Another was the Brownlow Turk, who, among other attributes, is thought to be largely responsible for the gray coat color in Thoroughbreds.[20] In all, about 160 stallions of Oriental breeding have been traced in the historical record as contributing to the creation of the Thoroughbred. The addition of horses of Eastern bloodlines, whether Arabian, Barb, or Turk, to the native English mares[23] ultimately led to the creation of the General Stud Book (GSB) in 1791 and the practice of official registration of horses.[12] According to Peter Willett, about 50% of the foundation stallions appear to have been of Arabian bloodlines, with the remainder being evenly divided between Turkoman and Barb breeding.[23][notes 2]

Each of the three major foundation sires was, coincidentally, the ancestor of a grandson or great-great-grandson who was the only male descendant to perpetuate each respective horse's male line: Matchem was the only descendant of his grandsire, the Godolphin Arabian, to maintain a male line to the present;[25] the Byerley Turk's male line was preserved by Herod (or King Herod), a great-great-grandson;[26] and the male line of the Darley Arabian owes its existence to great-great-grandson Eclipse, who was the dominant racehorse of his day and never defeated.[21][27] One genetic study indicates that 95% of all male Thoroughbreds trace their direct male line (via the Y chromosome) to the Darley Arabian.[28] However, in modern Thoroughbred pedigrees, most horses have more crosses to the Godolphin Arabian (13.8%) than to the Darley Arabian (6.5%) when all lines of descent (maternal and paternal) are considered. Further, as a percentage of contributions to current Thoroughbred bloodlines, Curwen's Bay Barb (4.2%) appears more often than the Byerley Turk (3.3%). The majority of modern Thoroughbreds alive today trace to a total of only 27 or 28 stallions from the 18th and 19th centuries.[28][29]

Edit/Add: I have to say I do get a big smile on my face every time I drive past one of our cannabis stores. So nice and just amazing that if you want it you can just stop in and buy it.

Alaska Becomes First State to Legalize 'Cannabis Cafes'
    Last edited by highangle; 03-24-2019 at 01:27 PM.

anyone doing any landrace thai strains in the us? chocolate thai was good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cdlv View Post
    anyone doing any landrace thai strains in the us? chocolate thai was good stuff.
    Chocolope has Chocolate Thai as a parent and is quite lovely. I have a live resin by Olala that I enjoy very much.

BTW - I read an article the other day (will post if I can find it again) that said the thai stick of the 70s no longer exists.

Chocolope has Chocolate Thai as a parent and is quite lovely. I have a live resin by Olala that I enjoy very much.

BTW - I read an article the other day (will post if I can find it again) that said the thai stick of the 70s no longer exists.
    Didn't Mr Nice bring a bunch of Thai seeds to The Philippines in the 70s? I'm also pretty sure a bunch of stringy landrace Thai came to Ak when it came to BC, by some of the same US draft evaders. Fuel was cheap then, and even though the lights sucked and made a lot of heat, that wasn't a big problem for a lot of people who lived off grid with oversized gensets anyway. Some pioneered a lot of the strains the Dutchies and Calis made staples. And think of all the BC hybrids that were created by people out in the bush who had the lights going year-round...

Northern Lights, for example, is an Afghan X Thai that came from Ak, through Seattle [Bros Grimm], to Sensi Seeds in the 80s.

Tied Stick?

Quote Originally Posted by cdlv View Post
    Tokyo Starfish in Bend just harvested a crop of Wild Thai. 19% THC. Not bad for a landrace

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Tied Stick?
    Tide pods?