Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What temp do you cook your turkey to?

...and how do you measure it?

Most recipes say to stick a probe in the "thickest part of the thigh" (I'm never sure if I have the right spot) and pull when it hits 165. But measuring the thigh doesn't necessarily tell you what temp the rest of the bird is at. I'm butterflying my turkey this year (cutting out the backbone and flattening it, so that all the skin is facing up and it cooks flat on a cookie sheet - also called "spatchcocking"), which supposedly makes the breast cook slower. I worry that means that it'll be underdone when the thigh's at 165.

To compound the issue, some folks say that breast is overcooked at 165 and you should only bring it up to 145-155 to avoid drying out. (Apparently this is still safe - 165 is the "instant kill" temp for microorganisms, but they'll still die in a 150 degree bird as long as it stays at that temp for a few minutes). With a young daughter also eating the bird, I don't want to risk food poisoning, but I also don't want dry meat.

Anyone got any tips?
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

I always go with breast at 165. BUT, to qualify it, a couple of things that I do. I use a honey brine overnight the night before (google it if you are interested, nothing special). I also cook mine on the BBQ (gas grill with a smoker box and indirect heat) and have never tried what you are talking about. I usually take about 3-4 hours to cook it, depending on the size of the bird, and am taking temps of breast meat starting the last hour. The bird is usually above 150 for a while, and then just tips into the 165 range. I haven't poisoned anyone (yet) and always end up with a really nice moist bird (the brine-ing is the key). That would be my .02c. Go for 165 (to be safe) and BRINE the BIRD (regardless of cooking technique).
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

There's so much on the internet about this it's sill to type too much but,

1. Get a remote thermomter so you don'y have to keep opning the oven or grill or whatever,
    2. in order for the breast to bot dry out while the thigh gets to the right temperature, shield it with tin foil for at least part of the time.
    3. remeber that the internal temperature will continue to rise for quite some time after you take the bird out, so you don't need to get it to the specified temp, as much as 10 degrees is likely but if you're worried go 5 at least. If the thigh read 150 I'd call that bird done.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

1. Get a remote thermomter so you don'y have to keep opning the oven or grill or whatever,
    2. in order for the breast to bot dry out while the thigh gets to the right temperature, shield it with tin foil for at least part of the time.
    3. remeber that the internal temperature will continue to rise for quite some time after you take the bird out, so you don't need to get it to the specified temp, as much as 10 degrees is likely but if you're worried go 5 at least. If the thigh read 150 I'd call that bird done.
    ^^^This - Alton Brown on the food network makes it simple with video.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

I know there's a ton written about this, but I don't think it all works or is consistent. The foil trick doesn't work to slow the cooking of the breast very well, FYI; it will stop the skin from over-browning, but it doesn't lower the ambient oven temp around the breast so it continues to cook at about the same rate. The butterfly/spatchcock technique I'm using accounts for this by putting the breasts in the middle of the pan (which is the coolest part, based on typical oven convection patterns) and the legs/thighs out to the side (which gets hotter). I'm hoping that works.

A few years back, I roasted a turkey the typical way and pulled it when the thigh hit 165. When I went to carve it, the middle of the breast was literally raw (and yes, it had fully defrosted before going into the oven). I think this year I might use two probes - one in the deep thigh and one in the deep breast. Not sure what to do if they're way out of alignment, but at least I'd know.

Gravy, motherfuckers!
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

3.5 minutes per pound in the deep fryer.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Spatchcocking?

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I think this year I might use two probes - one in the deep thigh and one in the deep breast. Not sure what to do if they're way out of alignment, but at least I'd know.
    Out of alignment is ideal IMO. For my money dark meat is best at 175-180. Also, ditto to icemang's post.

For me, 180 is the destruction point.
    Gimme 160-165 max. Probe at two points.

I prefer turkey tartare.

Quote Originally Posted by tief schnee View Post
    I prefer turkey tartare.
    that's just gross
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I've had mixed results with spatching. The last time I tried we ended up carving up the underdone breast and sauteeing it in butter and sage. It didn't suck. You could separate the bird, get the breast in first, giving it a head start before adding the good stuff to your baking sheet.

Ever tried flipping the bird? At 135 or so (breast temp), flip the turkey upside down. It'll re-saturate the breast, slow its cooking, and ensure that your dark meat cooks through. Flip it back before you pull it to re-crisp the skin. No butchering necessary.

Iceman's right: It'll cook a bit after you pull it. The the rate at which it will do so depends on its size, whether or not you've stuffed it, etc. The breast will be more likely to continue to cook to an undesirable or overdone temp. Its a huge piece of meat, retains more heat, and loses much of its juice to its delicious nether-regioned dark bits. Gravity ensures that a breast taken just a bit too far (above 150-155), will end up a little ropy.

I'm assuming you brine your turkey, if not, I'd suggest giving it a try. Its easy, and is the best thing you can do to maintain your bird's juice.

Pace yourself man. Cook at 200 covered with a loose slab of foil. Begin slugging Manhattans all day at least 12 hours worth depending on the size of your bird. When you've gone through all the cherries, remove the foil and roast at 325 for ~45 mins and baste. By this time you've got two things going for you... Turkey and a dontgivashit attitude.

I've used Cook's Illustrated's recipe a few times, and it's turned out well: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ey-recipe.html

I only brine when I have a turkey that doesn't already have the injected flavor enhancers/salt solution. Although the heritage breed, pasture-raised turkey I had a few years back was AMAZING, it was also EXPENSIVE, and not something I can reasonably do when I'm going to serve more than 6-7 people. Now I just try to find the least-processed bird at the grocery store.

Interestingly, I saw something on Chow.com yesterday saying you could cook a frozen turkey with the same results as a thawed one, if you just give it extra time (about 50% more). I don't know that I'll use Thanksgiving to run that experiment, but if it's true, it would be a time-saver in a pinch.

If the smoke detector goes off, it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by tendershredderbetty View Post
    If the smoke detector goes off, it's done.
    Yeah start drinking early, pass out, and use the smoke detector for an alarm clock.

My kind of T'giving, Iceman!

Drinking isn't going to be a problem... got the bar set up for six different whiskey cocktails, and I plan to drink one of each while cooking.

Sazerac, vieux carre, manhattan, old fashioned, boulevardier, and bourbon ciders. Should be a hell of a meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Drinking isn't going to be a problem... got the bar set up for six different whiskey cocktails, and I plan to drink one of each while cooking.

Sazerac, vieux carre, manhattan, old fashioned, boulevardier, and bourbon ciders. Should be a hell of a meal.
    I'm sorry. I checked the mailbox today and my invitation was NOT in there.

I'm thinking of doing this:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

or is there any reason I couldn't use the flower pot smoker for this?:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...pe2/index.html

Better yet, use the jiffy pop smoke detector. That way you got your side dish too.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    For me, 180 is the destruction point.
    Gimme 160-165 max. Probe at two points.
    180 for breast is nuked, but perfect for dark meat.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    or is there any reason I couldn't use the flower pot smoker for this?:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...pe2/index.html
    Flower pot smoker will never get hot enough. It's probably also too small for a turkey big enough to feed your family. Just go with the grill and a smoke bomb, I did it last year and it rocked. Be sure to put a drip pan under the bird with the giblets, veggies and some broth for gravy making.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Spatchcocking?

Don't worry, it's not a gay sex video (despite the name and the guys presenting the video).

Cook the turkey until the breast is 145. Remove and cut the thigh quarters off. Return the thigh quarters to roast, tent the rest of the turkey with foil.

If you're one of those loafer wearing rich bastards, put the carcass and breasts in your other oven at keep warm setting.
    Living vicariously through myself.