What skis to carry?

Hey everyone,

We are putting together our Dec lineup of online sales (Canada only - sorry) and I was wondering what brands are of the most interest to the ski crowd. Things have changed so dramatically since I lived in Whistler (88/89) and used to sell skis for McConkeys.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Rich
    canadiancartel.com

4frnt Renegade / EHP, Line Moships / EP's etc, K2 (a few of the touring models), Dynastar, and if it's possible Pmgear....that would kick ass.

I've been browsing your site regularly, and I'd personally love to see the following products:

Skis: DPS, Trab, Dynafit, Line

other gear I'd quite enjoy: Scarpa ski boots, Arc'teryx harnesses and clothing, Hestra gloves, and high quality camping gear (stoves, lightweight gear, sleeping bags, etc)

So far the deals have seemed to be somewhat urban-related and intermediate.. I would love to see high quality backcountry gear become available, as they do at times on SAC and theclymb.

keep up the good work! us Canadians appreciate it

use evo as a model! there online customer service and price matching without attitude is super cool. The past couple of years i have scored insane deals and the sales people have been stoked to see my savings rather than making me feel like im doing something wrong for shopping around.

Great idea for asking your future customers what they want. You might want to check out companies that produce products in Canada as well....good luck

Not to spill the beans too much but we will have a 2nd store opening soon with this kind of stuff. We will look into those brands for Canada though.

Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    I've been browsing your site regularly, and I'd personally love to see the following products:

Skis: DPS, Trab, Dynafit, Line

other gear I'd quite enjoy: Scarpa ski boots, Arc'teryx harnesses and clothing, Hestra gloves, and high quality camping gear (stoves, lightweight gear, sleeping bags, etc)

So far the deals have seemed to be somewhat urban-related and intermediate.. I would love to see high quality backcountry gear become available, as they do at times on SAC and theclymb.

keep up the good work! us Canadians appreciate it

4FRNT models as stated above, also Salomon (Rocker 2, Czar), Rossi S7, Atomic Bentchetler/Blog/Access/Atlas, Volkl's freeride lineup, Armada JJ, those would be your big sellers for freeride skis.

I'm not as familiar with online sales but I know in our shop we can only bring in so many brands and typically must bring in at least a few models from them and normally some from the freeride line and some all mountain skis. Maybe you move enough volume to hand pick individual models from the ski lines. If not there have been some good ones mentioned so far. Atomic's freeride line, volkl's too. 4frnt and since you're online probably Rossi or Armada or both because everybody who searches around online will be looking at JJ's and S7's. It would be cool if you could bring in some indy brands like PM Gear, ON3P, Moment, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    Texas is better than Hell? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Hell, but it would be hard to imagine it being worse than Texas.

how do you source your product anyways? last years on closeout form distributers? or form retailers that have too much stock? PM, or email me if this is not public info, but I;ve been in the alberta ski bus for 20+ years, and know of some product, reps, etc that might want to dump some odds and ends.

i would talk to ON3P about selling some of their stuff. i know they are just starting to get into the market of having other retailers besides themselves so you would be one of the few (currently they only have evo) and it seems that then you would have something that is hard to come by so sells much easier.

G3 and thanks for asking R!

Personally I think if you carry products that are high quality your business will do well. Many ski and outerwear brands produce surprisingly unsturdy products, slap a pretty design scheme on it or claim it has some new technology that will alter your experience dramatically, and move on to something else the next season. This is manipulative and disrespectful to the customer, and in the long run it will not be successful. I would avoid brands that do this.

I think Movement was a great choice because they make really durable skis that ski well. I like packs made by Cilo Gear for the same reason, and PLUM seems to have superb quality right now. The skies Praxis and Moment make are beautiful and look very sturdy, as well as Liberty, 4FRNT and Black Crows. All these brands seem to make goods that are well thought out. TREW gear and Flylow stuff seems heavy but burly.

Some Arcteryx stuff is nice, some is not, same for Patagonia. I think DPS, although expensive, is trying to make really nice skis, but I don't know if they are as nice as the price tag claims they should be. On the other hand Voile, G3 and ON3P seem to offer great value for the cost (at least currently). Generally I see nicer stuff being designed and made by Europeans and North Americans who ski/live in the mountains

Thanks for asking and keep up the good work

I would dare to say that any ski, binding, boot and outerwear will do well in your store. It is good to finally have a website like this for Canada. Us Canadians get it up the pooper dry from similar sites in the states with shipping/duty costs.
    Glad to have you in the mix now. Keep it up and look forward to buying from you in the future.

That is a curious question...
    I personally like to ski NA made skis, but as a deep discount site that may not be what is in the cards for you. If you could bring on companies link ON3P, Praxis, Prior, etc that would be great, but I imagine you would do just as well with K2, 4frnt, vokl G3, solly etc.
    Keeping a strong canadian content would rock but not much is made in canada.
    Good luck.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Amazing input guys and thanks. What do you know about Klint skis? www.klintsnow.com

We also have a sale on ARSON product right now. Pretty solid stuff. Fits big though - I am 6' and 190 lbs and I am wearing Medium even with a hoodie under a jacket. You can check that out here if you are so inclined.

Early Dec. it looks like we will be doing Movement again and it will be 25% off the pricing we had last time we will also be have Dynastar and a couple of others.

klint has NO info on measurments, camber, flex etc on the site....

i see the dimensions infos on the site.
    Just have to click the "+" sign next to the ski.
    "+" = more infos

also here, more infos on each ski : https://www.facebook.com/media/album...29847617073587

cant believe this is what i write on my first post....such a nerd!

We have launched a huge ski sale including skis from Movement, Dynastar and Klint. All skis are a minimum of 50% off msrp with the majority being 60% or more. We have a page here https://www.canadiancartel.com/sale/...rformance-skis .
    Here are our 3 most in demand skis - prices include shipping

DYNASTAR LEGEND PRO RIDER 115- 166CM/175CM retail $999 - we have them for $425

MOVEMENT KAMASUTRA - 169CM retail $929 - we have them for $325

ROCKSTAR PRIME POP MODELS2 SKI - $799 - we have it for $399 These skis are interesting as they are not available in Canada and the ones we have are unique - there were only 70 ever produced with this top sheet (in cooperation with Rockstar Energy drink).

Thanks, Rich

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Cartel View Post
    We have launched a huge ski sale including skis from Movement, Dynastar and Klint. All skis are a minimum of 50% off msrp with the majority being 60% or more. We have a page here https://www.canadiancartel.com/sale/...rformance-skis .
    Here are our 3 most in demand skis - prices include shipping

DYNASTAR LEGEND PRO RIDER 115- 166CM/175CM retail $999 - we have them for $425

MOVEMENT KAMASUTRA - 169CM retail $929 - we have them for $325

ROCKSTAR PRIME POP MODELS2 SKI - $799 - we have it for $399 These skis are interesting as they are not available in Canada and the ones we have are unique - there were only 70 ever produced with this top sheet (in cooperation with Rockstar Energy drink).

Thanks, Rich
    Link doesn't work for me.

...rformance-skis in the link seems odd.

Found it
    http://www.canadiancartel.com/sale/h...rformance-skis
    Last edited by hafilax; 12-01-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Found link

Here is the link again halifax - Canadian Cartel Ski Sale That should work!

Rich