Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who knows anything about Conifer CO?

Looking at a job there. Never been to the neighborhood.
    Living vicariously through myself.

They have a Qdoba and it's close to some great mountain biking. It's the back way in to Breckenridge. Pretty close and easy to get to Denver.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Yeah if you're a climber, life will be great, some of Splatte's finest is within an hour.

There are some smoking house deals up that 285 corridor these days, but it can get a little hill jacky. I live in Evergreen, which you could do and buzz down there, nice commute depending on where you are working down there.

great jumping off point for trout missions too.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

Same as any foothills community. Some really nice places. Some really shitty meth houses. And everything in between. Otherwise, everything else above is pretty spot on. Job in Conifer? Living in Conifer? Further up 285?
    Details.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

great road biking and motorcycling roads, if you're into that.

Conifer is pretty cool, like everyone else has said. If you are working in Conifer, you've got some nice options for places to live.

I'm also a fan of Evergreen, which offers easy commuting to/from Conifer. I've spent a lot of time up in Evergreen (GF is from there originally) and summers/fall seasons in Evergreen/Conifer are beautiful. There is so much to do in the area.

ETA- is this a fire gig?

Nice place. Mountain living but close to Denver. If our jobs were in Denver we'd live there or Evergreen. My wife grew up in Bailey (Pine Junction) and loved it. There is plenty to do and your close to Buffalo Creek for mtn. biking and fairly close to skiing.

I visit Evergreen a lot to visit a friend. Nice area, but, minimal places to eat and drink, and, still a long slog on I70 in traffic to skiing. Yeah, it's the back way to Breck, but, Breck sucks.

Its is also THE way to Monarch and you are that much closer (alright...still pretty far) to CB.

It's a great place. I love it.

PM pow4brains

he's got an amazing house he built there.

I grew up in evergreen right next door...

Off the top of my head, here's a few things:

-It's in close proximity to denver via 285
    -It has a high school
    -Last time I was there, there was a grocery store and a couple other stores
    -it's in the foothills
    -lots of trees
    -great xc mountain biking in your backyard
    -good 4 wheeling nearby
    -back entrance to breck
    -I'd say the general demographic is middle class families
    -Evergreen is right down the road and has The Little Bear and Cactus Jacks
    -It can get some serious snow
    -Kind of isolated. Could be difficult to meet new people. (im just assuming here)
    "In those moments that most people say I can't, most people say self preservation, most people say what if?... We say "What if?" the other way. What if you land it? What if it is possible?" - Travis Pastrana

"I'll ski that line with no turns" -Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I visit Evergreen a lot to visit a friend. Nice area, but, minimal places to eat and drink, and, still a long slog on I70 in traffic to skiing. Yeah, it's the back way to Breck, but, Breck sucks.
    not me fyi...

great mtb and climbing around the south platte, tarryall valley and lost creek wilderness. Easy access to the city with 285 running four lanes and tons of b/c to the south with the collegiate peaks.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    My best man bro lives there above town on 5 sweet acres. cool place the hatch fly shop in pine junc. good a few decent restraunts
    Prepare to slash and stress fires but aside from that he and I dig it cept the ski commute.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

SFB BONES HIS BEST MAN IN FRONT OF ROMANTICAL FIRE IN CONIFERZ AFTER DER DATE TO SKI AREA>COMMUTE

I have an Evergreen address, but in the Conifer school district. Been here for a little over 1.5 years now. The above responses call out the pros/cons pretty good. Not the closest to skiing, but great fishing, hiking, biking, 4-wheeling nearby. I'm on the north side on Conifer, and Loveland will take me between 50min and 60min at peak drive time on a Saturday; Berthound about the same. There is some interesting bc futher out on 285 before Fairplay but you need to do your homework.

There are some good housing deals up here right now.

Shoot me a pm if you have any specific questions.
    Last edited by GeoMatt; 11-12-2011 at 03:00 AM.

Has one of the top disc-golf courses in the country there too: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2488

If you are into that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossta View Post
    I grew up in evergreen right next door...

Off the top of my head, here's a few things:

-It's in close proximity to denver via 285
    -It has a high school
    -Last time I was there, there was a grocery store and a couple other stores
    -it's in the foothills
    -lots of trees
    -great xc mountain biking in your backyard
    -good 4 wheeling nearby
    -back entrance to breck
    -I'd say the general demographic is middle class families
    -Evergreen is right down the road and has The Little Bear and Cactus Jacks
    -It can get some serious snow
    -Kind of isolated. Could be difficult to meet new people. (im just assuming here)
    I also grew up in Evergreen and would say that this post sums things up pretty well.

I wouldn't expect much in the way of a community or social happenings there, but great access to some really cool and surprisingly ignored parts of the state.
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Sounds good. Need to make sure I'm really interested before investing the time and money to fly down to check things out. Got another offer pending, but trying to pick the best option for me. The other gig is better paying, but the location sucks.

I'm looking at the fire department there. Understand the department has been going through some turmoil, need to look into that a little further. If anybody knows anything about that, let me know.

How is the general cost of living?
    Living vicariously through myself.

I did a WEMT class with a guy who was working at that station. He seemed to love it but that was 6 years ago or so.

Conifer would be awesome IMHO. Close enough to the ski hills but not having to live in the city or a ski town. Great MTBing and climbing. Depending on how far you wanted to drive, you have a lot of choices for places to live (City vs cabin vs small town). But I've never lived there and depending on where you are coming from, it might suck, but there are a million other places that could suck less.

My friend lived there for a while, I liked it. He was on a mountain away from things, there was a lot of open country.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    I'm looking at the fire department there. Understand the department has been going through some turmoil, need to look into that a little further. If anybody knows anything about that, let me know.

How is the general cost of living?
    Cost of living down that way is what you want to make of it really. There are some of the usual big ass houses, but cheaper than Evergreen. Like I said it does tend to go hilljacky down that way in places. But alot of cool areas. Community is tricky as there is not much of a real town as a wide spot in 285. The schools are pretty good, people are tight with the schools after that whole fucked up thing a few years back.

Yeah they have had some crazy fire dept shit going on down there. We are all unincorporated JeffCo, meaning no other town council type stuff all county. Seems like they had a guy in there that was let go, all sorta shady. Up in Evergreen we had some of the same, but seems to have settled down lately. It's great country and good people, typical small town bedroom community bs though, haves to nots shit.

it's only for yuppy gringos who don't keep it real.

duh.