Avy observation: Mt. Rose, Tahoe

Personal observations were of a pretty bomber snowpack this morning, with nothing moving on Slide Mountain or anywhere else around us.

BUT... Hourglass Bowl on Mt Rose slid recently, and slid HUGE. Big enough that's it's visible from 395 outside of Reno. Reports of a 2-3m crown, and I'd believe it. Be careful out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 3pin
    Personal observations were of a pretty bomber snowpack this morning, with nothing moving on Slide Mountain or anywhere else around us.

BUT... Hourglass Bowl on Mt Rose slid recently, and slid HUGE. Big enough that's it's visible from 395 outside of Reno. Reports of a 2-3m crown, and I'd believe it. Be careful out there.
    If it's going to slide in Tahoe, it's going to slide HUGE. An old suncrust layer from the December drought with basically a 10+ foot realtively uniform layer on top of it. If something slides, it'll be very very scarey.

Today Waterhouse was solid. I noticed some large cornice drops off in the distance and the OB area out side of Kirkwood went big, 10+ foot crown. Oh, I noticed a little bit of wind loading in the Carson Pass area.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/docume...t_advisory.htm

Good info on the slide up there posted in the advisory.

Definitely conditions to utilize safe zones and one-at-a-time skiing.

-Graham

I was up at Alpine today, saw a 8+ foot tall piece of cornice ready to take off on the far side of Estelle. Everyone be careful out there.

Today's Avy rating in the Central Sierra... (1/14/2005)

Barring other factors it's unlikely that a single skier will trigger the main slab. A cornice collapse or afternoon warming of windloaded slopes might trigger something and as always watch out for convexities.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Hey, 3pin -

Next time you do that run, call me, and I'll shoot the first tracks shot from the bottom up from above Davis Creek.