Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Review: MFD ALLTIME AT Binding (NOT the cliff notes version)

You remember that scene in the movie 300, when that weasely guy says to that hot, fiesty chick, "This won't be over quicky, you will not enjoy this" ?

Well, let's just say that this review prompted me to think of that line.

And thanks to alTAos for really putting this system under the microscope.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...ouring-binding
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5760.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	103099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5756.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	327.3 KB 
ID:	103100   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5773.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	103101  

Sweet review. Still holding out for the GMF solution, though.

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Sweet review. Still holding out for the GMF solution, though.
    Yes, I can't wait either to get on this system. Some great ideas on both of these setups.

That was a great review, though. "Sweet" just doesn´t cut it when it comes to those levels of gear detail mindedness.

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    That was a great review, though. "Sweet" just doesn´t cut it when it comes to those levels of gear detail mindedness.
    Thanks, I'm not sure Jonathan is ever going to speak to me again after finishing the edit at 4am
    Last edited by alTAos; 11-09-2011 at 12:45 PM.

nice joe. tour soon? i'd like to check these out, this is the first positive feedback i've heard on these from someone i actually trust to review thoroughly and not just say they love them because they're sponsored.

Great review. I have been looking forward to a thorough review like this.

I have both Dynafits and Dukes, and although I will always have a really light dynafit/something fat setup, I'd love to replace my Megawatt/Duke setup with a Megawatt/MFD/FKS setup. Excited to see a followup on how they perform charging on hardpack and resort crud.
    Keep it unclipped

Quote Originally Posted by JoshP View Post
    I have both Dynafits and Dukes, and although I will always have a really light dynafit/something fat setup, I'd love to replace my Megawatt/Duke setup with a Megawatt/MFD/FKS setup. Excited to see a followup on how they perform charging on hardpack and resort crud.
    I too am searching for the light touring setup. Everything has its time and place. Hoping to possibly get up to Brighton this week and see what happens.

EC: I think yesterday was the last day for a bit, minus a Brighton day. Busy, then heading to Taos for a week...unless you want to meet me down there for a tour! They have a 30" base already...more than all of last year

Very detailed, i love (ONLY USE) FKS so this is the only option for me.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

any mags interested in MFD should shoot me a PM.

http://www.backcountryfreeskier.com/...g-binding.html
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

I am at a loss why MFD used a WOOD SCREW thread into a metal plate!?! Wow. An M5 thread would have been much better - with a wood screw thread, that means no remounts. Quiver Killers use M5 with no issues...
    Last edited by coreshot-tourettes; 11-09-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Since these were "born n bred" in the wasatch..where can these be obtained locally..No offense to MTSkier but im in Utah and they're "from" here so....maybe rather give to a local biz? If not i might be shooting you a PM lol

Hmm, when I first saw the MFD plates, I thought the idea was dumb. But this review has made me consider otherwise. My main concern was the extremely long mounting length, but it sounds like this has been addressed. These may be worth consideration afterall. That being said, I have no Duke complaints.

The inability to remount is stupidity, though.

Lastly, nerdiest review ever!

Great review and thanks for including the "boring" mounting section, I simply don't understand why they wouldn't use machine screws to mount the bindings to the plate. This is a pretty big turn off to me. I would want to be able to switch my bindings to a ski with a sollyfit plate or inserts that I already have in my quiver.

I suspect that their liability or something indicated that they would only be indemnified if they used the hardware that came with the ski binding.

It may also be possible that with that thin aluminum plate a shallow machine screw single thread would result in too little material actually retaining the binding, whereas a steep wood screw/sheetmetal double thread works better as it doesn't cut as much material away and holds in 2 places instead of one.

Quiver Killer inserts have an engagement surface that is several mm long, whereas the MFDs just have the thickness of the plate. I suspect that welding thread inserts for machine screws onto the plate did not work with MFD's cost or design goals (it would increase cost and stack height).

Quiver Killers are also steel instead of aluminum. Ideally I suppose they'd have something like a steel insert for the threads, but that would add a lot to the manufacturing cost, and people are already bitching about the price.

I don't see why an M5 PEM-style press-in nut wouldn't have worked, they come in stainless and are explicitly for use in aluminum and aluminum alloy. It would add only 3mm to the stand height if pressed in from the bottom, that way the binding forces are pulling them harder into the plate instead of out of it. At $0.41 in small quantities, that adds $7 to cost, plus 16 M5 316 stainless screws for a total of $10 extra per pair.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pem-style-nuts/=ev2dd2

I suppose if I ever want to remount them I'll drill out to 6.5mm and try a PEM nut with an M5 screw.

Quote Originally Posted by coreshot-tourettes View Post
    I don't see why an M5 PEM-style press-in nut wouldn't have worked, they come in stainless and are explicitly for use in aluminum and aluminum alloy. It would add only 3mm to the stand height if pressed in from the bottom.
    That looks like a good idea. I think the concerns and comments above are all spot on. The stainless steel m5 thread would be the best final product in my mind. Cost being the issue. The plate at the screw locations is 5mm thick. You could possible countersink that product into the bottom and have no issues at all with additional stack height or clearance underneath.

I think there are a lot of solutions along this same line of thought.

One item that I need to add to the review is the fact that they sell $80 swap plates. You would have the toe and heel bracket mounted to a few sets of skis, and just swap the plate across. This works great if you're committed to the MFD all the time (hmmm, is that where the name comes from? maybe before the wood screw they were just the MFD's), in bounds and out. But if you still want that binding for a straight mount to a ski with inserts, it doesn't help you obviously.

That said, I'd have to look really close at the aluminum web remaining around the holes in a couple spots after you drilled it out. 5.5mm to 6.5mm isn't a lot of metal, but you'd have to be really careful.

So... is it possible to shove a binding crampon under/over the MFD? (Like you can with Dukes...)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Since these were "born n bred" in the wasatch..where can these be obtained locally..No offense to MTSkier but im in Utah and they're "from" here so....maybe rather give to a local biz? If not i might be shooting you a PM lol

I think that is the first time I have heard 'lol' written on these forums...I don't know what to think.

I think MFD is making a crampon called the Meathook that will be compatible.
    Last edited by coreshot-tourettes; 11-09-2011 at 03:25 PM.

I'm totally bummed that I can't see the review - not loading in my browser for some reason.

Anyway, I must have an earlier version of the product, because mine uses M5 machine screws into the plate. I really questioned why they would use PEM threaded inserts like what coreshot linked. At the same time, I think M5 screws would have plenty of strength even in fairly think aluminum. I can't believe they use the original 12AB screws into aluminum! There's no way that won't loosen over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    we've got 'em

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    I'm totally bummed that I can't see the review - not loading in my browser for some reason.

Anyway, I must have an earlier version of the product, because mine uses M5 machine screws into the plate. I really questioned why they would use PEM threaded inserts like what coreshot linked. At the same time, I think M5 screws would have plenty of strength even in fairly think aluminum. I can't believe they use the original 12AB screws into aluminum! There's no way that won't loosen over time.
    Huh it doesnt work for me now either.
    Vista + Chrome
    and firefox

It did work on my phone but I didnt finish reading it
    Android 2.2 + built in browser

Not using machine screws seems strange to me as well but I guess we will see how it plays out over time. It does seem strange to rely on deforming the threads to have a good hold, but I like using machine screws in things.