Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTB: rockered for the intermediate wife

i know i know,
    never covered here before.
    did search and read most of the threads covering this...
    instead of bumping those i started a new thread.

based off what others have said i am thinking rossi s3s or a ski from volkl or moment. want it to have rocker & camber thinking in the mid-90s to 110ish @ the waist. many gals chimed in saying they loved the 164 bro. s3s seemed to be confidence inspiring for many ladies. S7 w may be too big of a ski for her...

she is a intermediate skier, likes groomers and pow, links turns well @ a medium speed @ the fastest, but goes backseat hesitant when things get a little steep or she gets spooked by snowboarders @ keystone. sticking to the Luv this yr! want something that will help her progress and have more fun out there.

currently mrs transplant runs 163 atomic sugar daddies (red) w/ freerides.
    she skis mostly @ the resort w/ 1 or 2 tours a winter. i think bros may be sorta an overlap on the atomics, and may be too much ski for her, maybe a soft bro would be good?

thanks for your advice in advance! hoping to find something off gear swap based on what the consensus is here.

stay outta my line

bump
    stay outta my line

I think I'll be buying the little lady a new set-up next year, so I'm interested in what you find.

how much does she weigh?
    Dockaroo is pretty light and finds that ski weight really changes things. We (guys) may be able to ski a heavier ski and not notice it, but her (105lbs) really notices the differences.

Just something to think about.

Mrs SIJ skied the Atomic Century last season and loved it.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

my honeybun is about 120#

read somewhere here earlier tonight that older atomic 'daddy series skis had very stiff tails & were difficult for intermediate/slower skiers to ride - maybe her red sugar daddys + freerides are holding her back more than the snow conditions or her abilities?

heard good things about the century, but i think the topsheets are a bit too ugly for her though...
    stay outta my line

I think S7's would be great for her, albeit a bit heavy.
    get light bindings (z10's or s810 ti's)

you could be blown away by her progress on those skis

another might be a 163 praxis protest, although you just missed the pre-season sale

do some resarch on the skidiva website

good info from a woman's perspective there

There was a good deal in gear swap on a pair of 176 mumbo jumbos (roxy graphic, but same ski as the s7) 112 mm underfoot, I think.
    Aggressive in my own mind

hoarhey

i'd love to get her some S7s (or something similar) just dont want them to be to wide underfoot for her, or heavy (as XtrPickles mentioned). However I want her to make some progress and have fun and ski more on the new set-up...thats the whole point of getting her a better set-up.

looked @ the mumbo jumbos in gear swap, thinkin 176 may be too long for her. she is 5'2'' and 120lbs.

i know rockered skis ride short but i am unsure about the difference between the running length and the effective edge length.
    my 189cm Keepers have an effective edge of around 165-170cm. last season was my 1st on rockered skis, they fucking rule, and i have to get her on some this winter.

thanks for the input eveyone!
    stay outta my line

saw some 166cm S7 Barras on CL for $350
    price police opinions?

whats the difference between the S7 Barras & S7 womens versions?
    stay outta my line

VJJ?

They have some nice skis for rent at LL that she could try. Know they have JJ's, but don't know about the VJJ?

morning bump to the top
    stay outta my line

Tele/Sugar Daddies can be tricky to ski. I loved mine, but my wife, who is a strong skier didn't like hers, gave them to my sister and she rails them no problem. Wife ended up on a Salomon Gun for several years and preferred the softer flex and more aggressive sidecut compared to the SDs.

You could find some K2 Gotback's which are relatively light with mild rocker and are easy to ski, or if you're looking to spend some $$ the VJJs would be a game changer for her for certain.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    A better option would be to quit whining and go ski somewhere with less people around.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Aclimate Sports Drink- "Go higher feel better"

I got a lot of customers on Atomic Centuries last year, and the ski was very well received across the board.
    If you want a little easier turn release go with the Atomic Access.

The Blizzard Crush, was also very well received, and has a slightly rounder and damper flex pattern.

Line Celebrety 100 has a wee little bit o' rocker and kills it everywhere, but really wants to be skied in the front seat.

Female S7's (SW110 or something) are made for folks like her. Soft bros would work, but not as silly easy to handle, which is part of her issue. Crush should also be on your radar because of the interchangeable binding, good price, excellent rocker design (low, mild, bit stiffer compared to the S7). But it's a little more demanding too, so some of this is about your sense of how she'll progress.

Consider voile vector paired to verticals. It'd be fine for regular resort plus occasional tours for a lighter, mellower skier and I bet she'd notice a pretty big difference in knee fatigue whether riding lifts or skinning. Which means more skiing and fun.

Last year's models of each should be pretty reasonable if you can find them, and it always seems like lots of ladies dyna-compatible boots out there cheap on the front range.

She's an intermediate skier, doesn't ski fast and aggressive, goes backseat, etc. Buy her some lessons. No ski will fix those things.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

i have these for sale locally http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-fritschis-400

or got some pikas in 170 also. skis only
    F-R-O-double-G

I just bought my 5'3" 120lbs GF a pair of CoreUPT Sonar in 160cm for $339 (from their site, outlet section). They are pretty damn wide at 122mm, but seem like they will be a great ski. I know it doesn't fit the mold of what you are looking for exactly, but the price is right.

I wanted to get her Women's S7s, but could not find them for a reasonable price. If price were no object, I'd probably have gone that route. We both really enjoy the typical Dynastar and Rossignol ski characteristics.

For what it's worth, I love my S3s. They are far from the burliest thing I've owned, but they are probably the most fun ski I've ever used. They are incredibly playful. I demo'd a pair figuring I would hate them, laughed my ass off all day on the mountain, and bought a pair that night. I'm incredibly cheap, so getting me to cough up the dough for current year skis is no small feat. I willingly give up some of the balls out top end for pleasure in every day shenanigans. My only knock is that they don't come in a 195cm. It sounds like she doesn't need that balls out top end, so she wouldn't be sacrificing much at all.

FWIW: Loveland is doing demo days this weekend and next. Can't say for sure what is going to be there, but we're going to swing through next weekend for Dockaroo to try things out.

My gf loves her 170 Voelkl Kikus, although they don't have normal camber. Sister just got some 168 Whitedot Freeride Directors, which look sick. I want the 188s.

Might want to add the Voile Drifter to the mix? 110 underfoot, so maybe that's too wide, but they can be had for cheap. Bought my mom a pair, and I'm pretty stoked for her to ski them. I've heard good things about them from others, but no direct feedback yet.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

My wife fits your wife's description skiing wise almost to a T.
    Ski I bought her= Line Pandora.
    Result= she loves them.
    As to the Drifter suggestion.....I am a Drifter LOVER and NO WAY is the Drifter a suitable ski for resort use. Sucks donkey balls in anything but deep powder.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Mrs SIJ skied the Atomic Century last season and loved it.
    same thing in this household
    Corner store junkies giving advice

K2 Gotback (W's Coomback)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    As to the Drifter suggestion.....I am a Drifter LOVER and NO WAY is the Drifter a suitable ski for resort use. Sucks donkey balls in anything but deep powder.
    Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos