Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rossignal Sickle

Has anyone had or seen any issues with the shape of the new Rossi Sickles? I have a pair which do not seem to have much rocker from the tip. The tail has rocker and is easy to see but up at the tips the bases are basically touching. Anyone care to comment on this? Thanks.

thanks skimax..have a good one

Try pushing the tails together and see what happens to the tips. Continuous rocker is a strange and confusing thing.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

I have a pair of unmounted Sickle and they have a weird shape as well.
    They look like flat camber from the tip to about where the toe piece goes and then they have a couple of inches och U-rocker and then totally flat camber from the heel piece to the tails.

Looks like some strange V-rocker when I put them together.

I have a pair of unmounted last years S6 I haven't checked yet. Wonder if they look the same.

Quote Originally Posted by yiu-han View Post
    They look like flat camber from the tip to about where the toe piece goes and then they have a couple of inches och U-rocker and then totally flat camber from the heel piece to the tails.

I have a pair of unmounted last years S6 I haven't checked yet. Wonder if they look the same.
    Weird...would be kind of funny (in a sad way) if the rocker is screwed up on the Sickle after the debacle with the S6 last year. Maybe it's got something to do with the change from "U-rocker" to "Spin-Turn rocker." (snicker)
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Mine are from a pre-production series so they might not be exactly like the regular Sickle.

Rossi had to spend too much time straightening out their finances and didn't realize that fixing their skis might help.

But on a real note I'm interested in hearing more. I know its supposed to be a real minimal rocker, almost flat. I had heard everything about the S6 but Sickles have been at the top of my list for what to buy this year and expected that they would straighten their shit out.

Edit- just ordered some so I should be able to report soon on the current run if anybodies interested.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00284-20111117-1915[1].jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	757.0 KB 
ID:	103864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00283-20111117-1915[1].jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	581.7 KB 
ID:	103865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00282-20111117-1915[1].jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	582.3 KB 
ID:	103866
    Last edited by Wired2theT; 11-21-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    Texas is better than Hell? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Hell, but it would be hard to imagine it being worse than Texas.

I just picked up a pair of these. Wondering about mounting point. The guys from blister had them mounted at +2. Anyone tried that or mounted somewhere else?

Mine should be here friday but I plan on mounting them at plus 2 mostly based off the blister review and for the the same reasons mentioned. But, you should specify how you ski to get an accurate guesstimation. Do you like to really drive your tips or do you plan to ski these more neutral. What are you going to use these skis for, daily driver?
    Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    Texas is better than Hell? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Hell, but it would be hard to imagine it being worse than Texas.

Just picked up some 2012 186 sickels for a really good price. Had reservations about the rocker profile in the shop (174 looked as expected) but manager was pretty sure they were good and said to ski them for a few days and if still wasn't happy could take them back. Now today, I hear from someone who had set aside a pair from the same shop that they had been recalled, not sure if this is from Rossi or the shop decided to send them back. Laying the skis on a chair, I get a contact point around the middle as expected, and then have what appears to be some mild camber in both directions and contact points at the tip and tail. If I pressure the front or rear of the ski and I do get about 4mm of separation along the length (more like the above pictures) but no obvious continuous increase in separation along the length. Seems a few people have had similar issues, be grateful for any input from people who have the ski. Not sure what to do, ski them as suggested and see or just take them back.
    ...cheers
    Will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?

Question: I am tres tres close to picking up a pair of the S6 Jib for a day-to-day ski. Should a "correct" S6 have the same amount of very slight rocker as the Sickles a few posts up?

And to anyone who has skied these: I love my current Gotamas for the fact that on days when I don't really want to charge hard, I can ski them easy and get away with it. Does the S6/Sickle require a lot of work?

Quote Originally Posted by yiu-han View Post

^^^^
    I am VERY interested to know the answer to the question you were asking yourself above.
    Have you (or has anyone else) compared the 2011 and 2012 rocker profiles yet?
    If you have, would you please fill us in on what you found?
    This whole deal with missing rocker, wonky rocker and other strange things is bizarre to say the least!
    I can confirm, by my own personal contact with a distributor, that they gathered up every pair of 186cm 2012 Sickle's they had in inventory and returned them to Rossignol. The specific reasons weren't divulged nor was the geographic scope. Apparently the 174's were not included in this cull.
    Last edited by Avid Old Fart; 11-25-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: clarity
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things !

Quote Originally Posted by Avid Old Fart View Post
    ^^^^
    I am VERY interested to know the answer to the question you were asking yourself above.
    This whole deal with missing rocker, wonky rocker and other strange things is bizarre to say the least!
    I can confirm, by my own personal contact with a distributor, that they have gathered up every pair of 186cm 2012 Sickle's they had in inventory and returned them to Rossignol. The specific reasons weren't divulged. Apparently the 174's were not included in this cull.
    \
    I would also be interested in knowing this.

And of course it is the 186cm that I am looking at as well. (BTW, at 6'0 170lb I assume this is the proper length for me)

Let me see what I can do. I have two pair of 10/11 jib at 186. I can probably stop by a shop this weekend and compare mine to a 11/12 model. Assuming they aren't ALL recalled.

For what it's worth, I bought the jib based on a very enthusiastic endorsement from a friend who skis circles around me. I agree with the above, this ski should be what keeps Rossi in the game. Half the problem is they are overshadowed by the S7 and super 7. Fine sticks, but are they really the end all? Will I really go from hack to FIS champion if I just buy them at retail?
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Skirotica View Post
    Let me see what I can do. I have two pair of 10/11 jib at 186. I can probably stop by a shop this weekend and compare mine to a 11/12 model. Assuming they aren't ALL recalled.

For what it's worth, I bought the jib based on a very enthusiastic endorsement from a friend who skis circles around me. I agree with the above, this ski should be what keeps Rossi in the game. Half the problem is they are overshadowed by the S7 and super 7. Fine sticks, but are they really the end all? Will I really go from hack to FIS champion if I just buy them at retail?
    That would be great if you could do that.

I'm not looking for the end-all/be-all of skis, I just want something I can ski almost every day out west. Days when I want to go at it, and days that i'm just kinda on cruise control you know? Demoed the S7's last year and really liked them, if these are anything like that (or better!) then i'll be one happy camper. What I DON'T want is a ski that you have to be on top of all the time. That is what I like about my current Goats.

Quote Originally Posted by Avid Old Fart View Post
    ^^^^
    I can confirm, by my own personal contact with a distributor, that they gathered up every pair of 186cm 2012 Sickle's they had in inventory and returned them to Rossignol. The specific reasons weren't divulged nor was the geographic scope. Apparently the 174's were not included in this cull.
    Be interested to hear of any further developments from your contact. Matches my thoughts from the shop though - 174s looked as expected. You would've thought they'd be on their game with this years after what happened. Yet to decide what I'm going to do with mine.

I have commented before in previous threads on the rocker problems with the first production run of last years s6's and my very positive experience with a "correct" version of the ski in a 186 as my daily driver for 35-45 days last year. In my opionion the Sickle at $599 MAP price (reduced $100 from last year), is easily the best ski offered at that price point on the market, followed closely by the Blog. I welcome arguments...

That being said.... About a week ago( I'm really not sure... We have been so insanely busy I honestly forgot about this untill I recived a private msg from someone on the forum regarding this thread...) I put a new pair of 186 Sickles base to base for a customer to show what I expected to be the subtle full rocker of the ski and instead found a small pocket of camber under foot, with definite rocker in the tip and tail. Now having been reminded of that experience I just finished looking at all the Sickles we have in stock. Currently we have 6 pairs of that ski in stock. All 3 pairs of the 174's, and two pairs of the 186's looked exactly as they should, with full subtle rocker throughout the ski. One pair of the 186's does have a small pocket of camber under the foot and I will be sending them back on Monday.

A good way to look at the rocker profile of any ski is to hold the pair of skis horizontily and base to base, with as few of fingers and as close to the marked center of the ski as possible. The Sickle should look flat under where the binding would be mounted and have sublte, but gradually increasing rocker in the tip and tail. If you are concerned about the rocker of a Sickle you purchased let your local shop know. I guarantee Rossignol will replace that ski for you, as they have proven to be one of the best hardgoods companies I have dealt with in making sure the customer is 100% happy with any of their products purchased, both in terms of warranty, as well as their "perfect fit guarantee".

Hope that helps...

Mine definitely don't have underfoot camber, the underfoot contact point looks right, it's just that the rocker appears to start as expected but then the tips and tails contact making it look like two mini regions of small camber. This is very minimal though, the bases look pretty flat otherwise. If I press on the front/read the other end of the ski does separate more like the pics above but, unlike the 174s, it definitely doesn't look like this just placing the skis horizontally and base to base...

2012 Sickles aren't being recalled. There is a small recall with the 2010-2011 S6.

I received this information straight from Rossignol.

Irjcrj.. Did you get those at Comor? You are from Vancouver right? Thats where I got mine and if mine dont change after I ski them I am returning them. Have you looked at any other shops for the Sickle to see what shape the rocker was? I have not had time but if I get a chance this weekend I will pop in and compare and let you know. Cheers.....

What do you fucking expect? The Sickle doesn't have huge ass banana rocker fellas.

Have you even skied them? They fucking rip shit up.

@HBM - what I don't fucking expect is for the the tips and tails of any ski with full rocker, however slight, to touch. I'm pretty stoked on what I've heard though so I do hope they indeed rip shit up...

@Sly33 - I looked at 2 pais of the 186 in Comor and they were pretty similar, the rocker on the 174s was a lot more noticeable. Going to ski them and see, manager said I could return them if wasn't happy, which I hope won't turn out to be the case.

186 cm Sickle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1267.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	347.7 KB 
ID:	106090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 2011-12-11 12 27 38.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	768.2 KB 
ID:	106091

^^^ Thanks for the detailed pics.

Can you comment on the flex and compare it to some other ski you know?
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season