Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bib ?s Trewth vs. Flylow Bakers

Time has arrived to update the pantaloons and want to step up to the bib world.

Have owned flylow in the past, seen the first generation of Trew gear, but was curious to know if any folks here have either of the bibs, what they think about them etc.

I am a big fan of the FLYLOW brand, their durability and with a street price $100 less than the TREWTH bibs they've got huge economic appeal.

Basically curious about the following:
    Durability
    Breathability
    Waterproofness
    Quality Control
    High back

Any thoughts, commentary or emotional outbursts greatly appreciated!
    Cheers

Flylow 10k/10k waterproof/breathable
    TREW 20k/20k waterproof/breathable

TREW cuffs have superfabric which is the absolute bomb for edges/snowmobiles/walking through parking lots. By far the toughest most shred-proof fabric I've ever encountered for cuff protection.

Flylow has Cordura, which is great until it gets shredded.

Flylow looks to have a higher back than TREW

In addition to the chest pocket, TREW has thigh and hand pockets, Flylow only has hand pockets.

Looking at features only, I'd give the TREW bibs the nod on every category except the higher back on the Flylow.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

I've heard nothing but good things about the Trewth bibs. I personally love my Phantom bib from Westcomb (just to add another to the mix), but don't have any idea of how it stacks up next to the Trewth. I can provide more info on why I like the Phantom, but it sounds like the Trewth might be your ticket.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

don't the flylow bibs have cross flow venting too?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    don't the flylow bibs have cross flow venting too?
    Yes. Well ... they have side zips and when coupled with the inner thigh vents, you get the same thing.

(Disclaimer: I own neither, but have been agonizing over the same details.)

Ive got the trewth bibs. Theyre awesome. I cant comment on durability because they have only seen 2 or 3 days, but i can say that they are about as waterproof as they get. And they do have the benefits of having a thousand pockets. It makes it super easy to spread everything evenly so you dont have awkward bulges everywhere, but if you dont put a bunch of stuff in your pockets then it doesnt really make a difference. They are also ridiculously comfortable, didnt have a problem with breathability.

so my$.02 is go with the trewth

What hop and gskis said.

And just ignore this if you've already seen it:

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...et-trewth-bibs

I'll chime in since I just got my Flylow bibs.

Speaking to the Trewth bibs I can say this: absolute bomber material I love them but that's only for the first generation. My buddy has the newer style bibs and I've tried them out so I do know how they are. I am not a fan of the newer cut or the low back for the current Trewth versions. The material also is now a little thinner than the first gen. Pocket-wise the Trewth dominates.

The Flylow bibs are definitely lighter in weight. Plus the cross-flow venting beats the side only vents. I have put a couple of good gashes in my Trewth cuff guards and nothing in my Flylow Chemical pants yet, and the Baker bibs are the same material as the Chemical pants.

For size comparison, I have a large Trewth and got the XL Baker Bibs; I'm 6' 180 lbs with an athletic build for reference. The fit is pretty damn spot on apples to apples with a little less room in the torso than the Trewth bibs.

Honestly you won't be disappointed with the Flylow Baker bibs, even more if you tour a good portion of the time.

Trew durribilty is not was it was for the first gen stuff. Still bomber then most, but I will give the baker bib the nod on durability.

As mentioned the Bakerbib is lighter then the trewth.
    It also has cross flow venting.

Trew is 20k H20 resistance, flylow is 10k, this may or may not matter for you.

Baker has cross flow, trew has full length side zips.

Trew pockets are way better then on the baker. I really like having thigh pockets on my ski pants, that's where I keep. My crumb bars, and other random crap.

Both are made in China.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    TREW cuffs have superfabric which is the absolute bomb for edges/snowmobiles/walking through parking lots. By far the toughest most shred-proof fabric I've ever encountered for cuff protection.
    I have to disagree... Not bomb proof. Nice, but I cut my pants the first day riding. Edge meets pant with a solid boot as a backing will cut more times than not with a hack like me. I was actually disappointed in the superfabric, sounded great, but again it cut first day... didn't fall, didn't hit anything, just normal hack skiing. I think the only thing that would work for me is kevlar, but these fuckers are already expensive enough.

I own multiple pieces from both companies and really dig both companies... will buy again from both.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander1310 View Post
    For size comparison, I have a large Trewth and got the XL Baker Bibs; I'm 6' 180 lbs with an athletic build for reference. The fit is pretty damn spot on apples to apples with a little less room in the torso than the Trewth bibs.
    Damn. I'm about the same and I'm always a medium. My pants run 32-32. Yours?

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    I have to disagree... Not bomb proof. Nice, but I cut my pants the first day riding. Edge meets pant with a solid boot as a backing will cut more times than not with a hack like me. I was actually disappointed in the superfabric, sounded great, but again it cut first day... didn't fall, didn't hit anything, just normal hack skiing. I think the only thing that would work for me is kevlar, but these fuckers are already expensive enough.

I own multiple pieces from both companies and really dig both companies... will buy again from both.
    I skied a full season on the first generation and only lost a couple of dots from the inside of the cuffs. That version was super stiff and heavy though. The following year they went to a lighter version that was not quite as burly (I had a couple 1cm cuts in each cuff at the end of a season) but still leaps and bounds better than any other cuff material I've used, including Kevlar. They're going to an in-between version next year.

You're right. With the exception of the first gen Superfabric cuff there is nothing that can withstand the edge/pant/boot sandwich slicing. So the 2nd gen are not totally 100% indestructible but they are still the best, toughest, most shred-proof fabric I've ever encountered on cuffs currently on the market. If you're comparing Superfabric (TREW) to Cordura (Flylow), there really is no comparison.

Sizing and fit-wise I much prefer the 2nd gen vs. the 1st gen. The 1st gen was baggy and boxy while the 2nd gen is still freeride fit but just not overly loose. I'm 5'10" 155# and I wear a M TREWth with padded shorts. 2nd gen L fits more like the 1st gen M.

Edit: TREW outerwear is made in Nepal, not China.
    Last edited by hop; 11-07-2011 at 02:01 PM.

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Yes. Well ... they have side zips and when coupled with the inner thigh vents, you get the same thing.

(Disclaimer: I own neither, but have been agonizing over the same details.)
    flylow for sure has cross flow venting / inner & outer legs zips. not aware of this feature on trew's bibs or pants. in fact, I'm not aware of it on any brand other than flylow. IMO, you want this feature for doing ridge hikes at Bridger.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    flylow for sure has cross flow venting / inner & outer legs zips. not aware of this feature on trew's bibs or pants. in fact, I'm not aware of it on any brand other than flylow. IMO, you want this feature for doing ridge hikes at Bridger.
    OR Axcess pants have it. They also have insulation, which is stupid IMO.

The Bonin Petrels

^^^Thanks, I missed those. And I agree, insulated pants are definitely stupid.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Most has been said already but i'll chime in as i've owned both. Trew in my opinion is definitely worth the extra $. The Flylow stuff i've had has been great and light but not as durable and not nearly as waterproof.

Trew for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Edit: TREW outerwear is made in Nepal, not China.
    China disagrees with this statement.

Trew defiantly fits looser then Flylow, or pretty much any other outerwear I have seen. Size L was pretty darn big on me, at 5'10" 185lb. I could probably use a M bellows jacket instead of the large, both work, the large is just a little too gangster baggy for me.

I miss the first gen fabric. I was not doing any long tours on it, and would get something different for that, so I liked the stiffer and heavier fabric.

And insulated outerwear in general is stupid, especially from a company based in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post

Trew defiantly fits looser then Flylow, or pretty much any other outerwear I have seen. Size L was pretty darn big on me, at 5'10" 185lb. I could probably use a M bellows jacket instead of the large, both work, the large is just a little too gangster baggy for me.

I miss the first gen fabric. I was not doing any long tours on it, and would get something different for that, so I liked the stiffer and heavier fabric.

And insulated outerwear in general is stupid, especially from a company based in Seattle.
    Why does China disagree with that statement?

I can't agree with you more on insulated outerwear and have repeatedly tried to explain why to the folks at OR but they don't seem to get it. I'm not one of their athletes so I'm not losing any sleep over it but it shocks me that some of their actual team people can't get the message through.

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post

Agreed on the insulation, but TREW is out of Hood River, OR. http://trewgear.com/mission.php

Agreed on the insulation, but TREW is out of Hood River, OR. http://trewgear.com/mission.php
    Yes, but OR, the company that makes stupid insulated outerwear (their gloves rock and so does most of their other stuff) is based in Seattle.

The Bonin Petrels

well, at least you chose to compare the 2 best bibs on the market!

so, just a quick synopsis of the above, with 1-2 anecdotes tossed in.

1. trew has a couple more pockets on he thigh.
    2. flyow has far better venting
    3. flylow is about as durable as the CURRENT trew materials, but is far lighter
    4. cordura does not shred, unless you are a telewhacker - my 200 day old chemicals that barely have a hole anywhere support that assessment.
    5. both are very well made with great cut and materials
    6. flylow has a better bib (ie it comes up better on the backside, which most would argue is the most impotrant part of a bib on ski gear)
    7. flylow is $100 less expensive at retail.
    8. the whole 10k 20k rating system is shenanigans. 5k is "rain-proof" 10k is "water-proof". seem taping is only 3-5k anyhow. as far as breathability, well... the baker has mondo vents, as noted above.

neither are bad choices, can't go wrong with either.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post

so, just a quick synopsis of the above, with 1-2 anecdotes tossed in.

1. trew has a couple more pockets on he thigh.
    2. flyow has far better venting
    3. flylow is about as durable as the CURRENT trew materials, but is far lighter
    4. cordura does not shred, unless you are a telewhacker - my 200 day old chemicals that barely have a hole anywhere support that assessment.
    5. both are very well made with great cut and materials
    6. flylow has a better bib (ie it comes up better on the backside, which most would argue is the most impotrant part of a bib on ski gear)
    7. flylow is $100 less expensive at retail.
    8. the whole 10k 20k rating system is shenanigans. 5k is "rain-proof" 10k is "water-proof". seem taping is only 3-5k anyhow. as far as breathability, well... the baker has mondo vents, as noted above.

neither are bad choices, can't go wrong with either.
    I'm going to argue with 4 and 8. Cordura does shred, even for alpine skiers and my experience with various fabrics in the PNW fully supports higher waterproof ratings actually meaning something. In CO or UT or somewhere with light dry snow, maybe not so much.

The Bonin Petrels

my trew bibs are still going strong over 100 days later, can't recommend them enough

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post

Gotta say that no doubt the Chemical in one bad ass pant. Love the burly knees. I've owned both but I must disagree with the "waterproof shenanigans" thing.

As much I liked the Chemical pant, it was in no way waterproof or even water resistant for that matter. Brand new out of the bag, they would soak snow like a sponge. Granted this is PNW snow on a warmer day, 27-29 degrees or so and would be soaked just riding the lifts in 2 hours.

The Trew Eagle Pant (same material as bib) is TRULY waterproof. I've had about 50 days in them in all kinds of weather. Rain down low to Pow up high and have never been wet. They're SUPER burley and have the craziest ski edge guard that wrap the entire cuff. The inner thigh vent works great, but no doubt wouldn't want to do a 7 day hut trip in them, they're too burly.

Both are great pants with a great fit. One's waterproof, the other isn't. Just depends where you live and mainly lay it out.

Damn. I'm about the same and I'm always a medium. My pants run 32-32. Yours?
    yeah, wtf - i'm 6'1 ~180ish and usually L, sometimes M. 32 waist.