Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: L.A.R.Ping?

L.A.R.Ping?

So it's a usually Sunday, I'm driving around with my girlfriend and we decide to check out an abandoned military fort near the ocean. I wanted to take some pictures and enjoy the sunshine. We arrive and there are a couple dozen adults dressed up like various science fiction characters. They were engaged in what seemed like a very serious (but fake) battle. Some had foam swords, fake guns, all sort of fucking costumes. Yelling, screaming, fighting, pretend gun fights - I've never seen anything like it.

I was informed by someone there that is called L.A.R.Ping. (Live Action Role Playing). And that this battle was between mutant humans and some type of alien race. (WTF?) They've got an official rule book, leagues and characters. The guy even gave me a goddamn business card.

Is it just me of this a sign of completely unstable people being completely delusional? We all used to pretend to play with guns and swords.....but we outgrew it when we were 7.

Needless to say, I'm glad I had my camera. I'll put some pics up in a minute.

I think it is fucking weird but is it really any different than playing a video game? I would actually argue it is more constructive as you are interacting with people and getting exercise. They are basically unpaid thespians doing it for fun.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    Needless to say, I'm glad I had my camera. I'll put some pics up in a minute.
    heh, can't wait.

I guess that kinda like the Civil war reenactors. Weird shit if you ask me. I was reading about it a little a while back, this guy was bitching about always getting killed and having to lie there in the grass and hot sun with bugs and everything. I mean, dude, get up and walk away!

They all go in the woods and fuck.

No, really. My GF used to work for a business that travelled around and sold stuff at comic conventions, and the dude who owned it had previously been in the business of selling LARPing "weapons" and stuff. He'd go to all the big events (some of them have hundreds of people) and have a booth thing there. The stories he told would make you want to stay as far away from the LARP shit as possible. Most of them are dungeons & dragons based, and these people go out to a forest, fight some, and then sleazy dudes bone fat chicks who are "role playing" as prostitutes and shit. I realize how totally made up this sounds, but I've heard so many other sources confirming this that it blows my mind. I know a lot of people are probably reading this and being like "that sounds awesome", but trust me, if you saw these people, you'd understand where I'm coming from.

I don't know about these ones you ran into, but that's the core of the LARP scene.

Well at least Civil War reactors have some legitimacy because of the historical portion. I'm under the impression the LARPers are just that much more distant from reality. I wish I had a psychology degree to understand this further. Anywho, here's the action.

I didn't want to seem too obvious taking pictures. I didn't want to be taken prisoner.

There was a elaborate pre-battle yoga session (??)

I guess the storm trooper looking dude won the battle for the universe.

Well if I learned one thing today its that people are much more insane than I had thought prior.

Castle Island?

Does the one dead guy on the right have a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    Castle Island?
    Nope, its a Fort Revere in Hull. Cool spot, minus the nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Does the one dead guy on the right have a Mac?
    Ha! I thought it was too. But it looked like a metal briefcase. I figured it was some sic fi reference I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    is it really any different than playing a video game?
    Yes. Watching shit on the screen is different than doing it in person. For example, just because I like looking at pron that involves disemboweled horses, midgets shitting on each other, and fat chicks doesn't mean that I actually want to participate in any of it.

All you need to know about LARPing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Yes. Watching shit on the screen is different than doing it in person. For example, just because I like looking at pron that involves disemboweled horses, midgets shitting on each other, and fat chicks doesn't mean that I actually want to participate in any of it.
    You don't? You're fucking weird.

are we not all larping the role of badass skier dude?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Archer View Post
    They all go in the woods and fuck.

No, really. My GF used to work for a business that travelled around and sold stuff at comic conventions, and the dude who owned it had previously been in the business of selling LARPing "weapons" and stuff. He'd go to all the big events (some of them have hundreds of people) and have a booth thing there. The stories he told would make you want to stay as far away from the LARP shit as possible. Most of them are dungeons & dragons based, and these people go out to a forest, fight some, and then sleazy dudes bone fat chicks who are "role playing" as prostitutes and shit. I realize how totally made up this sounds, but I've heard so many other sources confirming this that it blows my mind. I know a lot of people are probably reading this and being like "that sounds awesome", but trust me, if you saw these people, you'd understand where I'm coming from.

I don't know about these ones you ran into, but that's the core of the LARP scene.
    This actually makes it seem more normal not less. Singles mixing for geeks recluses and social outcasts under the guise of something far less awkward to take part in. Mild exercise exposure to sunlight and practicing a certain form of social skills as well. Is it really that bad? Yea its weird but there are a lot of things and people in this world that bother me more than a bunch of geeks hitting each other with fake swords in the woods.

Hell, if I came across a group doing this, and was invited to join, and didnt have to spend any money on a costume, and didnt have anything better to do, I'd probably give it a shot for an hour or so. I guess I just sealed my TGR reputation as a freak, but whatever.

Also, that girl in the camo pants and black tank top looks like she COULD be cute. I knew a totally geeked out girl in college that was super cute. She hung out with a bunch of people most would think were losers, you'd think the geeks would be drooling all over her, but they were all really intimidated and too afraid to make a move. She was hot, and just really really liked video games. Easy pickins, and a sweet girl.

This needs to be posted here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Vcoq-QRo4
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Yea its weird but there are a lot of things and people in this world that bother me more than a bunch of geeks hitting each other with fake swords in the woods.
    I bet a ton of people think sleeping in your car, waiting in a blizzard for hours to grab first tram in -10º weather and sliding down dangerously steep slopes with trees on them on wood and fiberglass, is crazy. Different strokes I guess.

EDIT - holy balls that video and song are awesome.

Chick with camo pants and black tank top laying down in 3rd picture might be hot. Looks like some cleavage. Of course, often distance is a girls best friend, so who knows.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Quote Originally Posted by PaSucks View Post
    Chick with camo pants and black tank top laying down in 3rd picture might be hot. Looks like some cleavage. Of course, often distance is a girls best friend, so who knows.
    She had a decent body and rack, but a face like a catcher's mitt. I made it point to see if any decent looking girls were there, they wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    She had a decent body and rack, but a face like a catcher's mitt. I made it point to see if any decent looking girls were there, they wasn't.
    Eh, can't see her face when your head is buried in her crotch. Just saying.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Quote Originally Posted by PaSucks View Post
    Eh, can't see her face when your head is buried in her crotch. Just saying.
    touché.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

HEY EVERYBODY LET'S MAKE FUN OF PEOPLE WHOSE OBSESSIONS DIFFER FROM OURS

BECAUSE POSTING 200 TIMES FOR EVERY SKI DAY AND ENDLESSLY DEBATING THE MERITS OF GEAR WE'VE NEVER EVEN USED IS TOTALLY NORMAL

Red Fang is my new favorite band.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    All you need to know about LARPing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw
    Nope...you also need this:

But mostly b/c it's a pretty fuckin funny movie.

-Smarty

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    HEY EVERYBODY LET'S MAKE FUN OF PEOPLE WHOSE OBSESSIONS DIFFER FROM OURS

BECAUSE POSTING 200 TIMES FOR EVERY SKI DAY AND ENDLESSLY DEBATING THE MERITS OF GEAR WE'VE NEVER EVEN USED IS TOTALLY NORMAL
    it's not?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Ugly people gotta get some too.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.