Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: L.A.R.Ping?

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    Is it just me of this a sign of completely unstable people being completely delusional?
    Just wait till you hear about "Bronies"

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    HEY EVERYBODY LET'S MAKE FUN OF PEOPLE WHOSE OBSESSIONS DIFFER FROM OURS

BECAUSE POSTING 200 TIMES FOR EVERY SKI DAY AND ENDLESSLY DEBATING THE MERITS OF GEAR WE'VE NEVER EVEN USED IS TOTALLY NORMAL
    yes it is.

um not it's not.

fuckin reverse psychology psi ops

wait, this isn't the drink alot and post thread?

carry on

i had a flatmate for a while who was very much into this stuff, not scifi but elves/fairies/knights/various bad entities in a vaguely medieval setting kind of thing. she would go to conventions all over the place, the big ones last a couple of days and they have markets where "tradespeople" sell everything from roasted dragon to powdered root of the whatever plant for you toothache. she would be an elf and her boyfriend was a knight. she would get really excited whenever she ordered a new something for her costume (mostly it was new fireballs, i guess there are some durability issues with those), much like i do when i order some piece of gear i don't really need but really want. i always figured she would make a very good looking elf, skinny with very long light blond hair, cute face. she was perfectly nice and normal otherwise, much more so than our other flatmates who would insist on everyone polishing the kitchen sink with a toothbrush. they never went outside, elf girl at least goes playing in the woods.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

^this post is useless without pictures of said hotty dressed up.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

i don't have pictures of her but kind of along these lines (pic from google image search)

Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

four or five years ago a film maker friend of mine made a movie about the larping world. its a pretty good film, you feel bad for the people who its about, but its also strangely uplifting. i recommend it, its available on netflicks, title is Darkon.

trailer:

Like someone else said about civil war re-enactors, I don't get it. The civil war guys should've just joined the Army. These guys, this reminds me of when I was 6 years old, playing war in the woods or something.

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    i don't have pictures of her but kind of along these lines (pic from google image search)

If this was close to a normal occurrence at a LARP gathering, I'd suddenly be really into this LARP thing. But since I work with geeks I know it is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by sidewall View Post
    Like someone else said about civil war re-enactors, I don't get it. The civil war guys should've just joined the Army. These guys, this reminds me of when I was 6 years old, playing war in the woods or something.

A friend of a friend is into WWII reenacting. It is even more retarded. They go to air shows and run around as planes fly over head.

Quote Originally Posted by sidewall View Post
    Civil/WWII reenactors are wierdos. I've met a few. They tell themselves they are doing something noble by 'keeping history alive' or some shit, when really they can't just admit to themselves they just want to embrace their inner child and play dress up and war. They also just can't seem to get over the fact that they don't have enough money actually own a plane and fly in an airshows so they do their best to be part of the scene or something. They do sometimes manage to fanagle free rides in some awesome old planes out of the owners though, so they go that going for them over the larpers. Civil war guys OTOH, not so much.

At least the larpers dont have any pretensions of anything else. Nothing wrong with embracing your inner child.

TO be honest I kind of want to try this. I could pass on all the dress up and fantasy, but grown men beating each other with fake swords actually sounds kind of fun. I spent like 20 minutes googling larping last night and although a lot of people talk about the fantasy aspects, it seems like european larpers have more tales of bruises, concussions, and actual bloodshed.

I played hide and seek in the woods well into high school. I really wish I could get some people together for a game sometimes now. I know most people think its a kids game, but considering you have to tag the person after you find them, if played in a good venue with people that arent pussies it results in some epic chases up and down mountains, jumping off cliffs into bushes, etc.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Hotel I work at just had one of these convention last weekend called 'Carnage'. It's mostly D&D board games stuff, but some larping as well. 300 of these guys running around is always amusing. Grown adults walking around the lobby in wizard outfits acting REAL serious. lots of big, fat dudes in trenchcoats with ponytails and their even fatter girlfriends.
    Really nice people, even though they talk about their games to me like I care, but all I can ever think about is how they remind me of the Simpsons character with the ponytail that runs the video store, and reads comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Worst. Stereotype. Ever.

Rontele is the resident TGR LARPing aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Worst. Stereotype. Ever.

heh, Not a stereotype. I swear that dude was there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    A friend of a friend is into WWII reenacting. It is even more retarded. They go to air shows and run around as planes fly over head.
    That's more exercise than the average idiot gets, so good for them. Even better if it gets them laid, I guess.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by PaSucks View Post
    Eh, can't see his or her face when your head is buried in her crotch. Just saying.
    FIFY.....
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Civil/WWII reenactors are wierdos. I've met a few. They tell themselves they are doing something noble by 'keeping history alive' or some shit, when really they can't just admit to themselves they just want to embrace their inner child and play dress up and war. They also just can't seem to get over the fact that they don't have enough money actually own a plane and fly in an airshows so they do their best to be part of the scene or something. They do sometimes manage to fanagle free rides in some awesome old planes out of the owners though, so they go that going for them over the larpers. Civil war guys OTOH, not so much.

At least the larpers dont have any pretensions of anything else. Nothing wrong with embracing your inner child.

TO be honest I kind of want to try this. I could pass on all the dress up and fantasy, but grown men beating each other with fake swords actually sounds kind of fun. I spent like 20 minutes googling larping last night and although a lot of people talk about the fantasy aspects, it seems like european larpers have more tales of bruises, concussions, and actual bloodshed.

I played hide and seek in the woods well into high school. I really wish I could get some people together for a game sometimes now. I know most people think its a kids game, but considering you have to tag the person after you find them, if played in a good venue with people that arent pussies it results in some epic chases up and down mountains, jumping off cliffs into bushes, etc.
    Take up paintball. All the larping you're looking for without the pseudo-literary/intellectual component.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Or airsoft.

Looks like it might be fun.

http://youtu.be/yZbjCe89804
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Does anyone in paintball get laid?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Most of the Paintballers I've encountered tend to be rednecks. Rednecks seem to have no problem breeding, so I'd say they do get laid.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Probably the same odds as repo-Prius guy has with the princess.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

I used to play airsoft, it was pretty fun. Really expensive hobby to be in, though, almost as bad as skiing once you've got a gun quiver with all the necessary mods and upgrades and all the gear and stuff.

If you guys want the nerd hobby with the highest quotient of decently attractive women, anime cons and the whole "cosplay" scene are probably where it's at. I know a bunch of dudes who've gotten a ton of ass at them. The big problem is almost all of the hot chicks in the scene are crazy as shit.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    Take up paintball. All the larping you're looking for without the pseudo-literary/intellectual component.
    I appreciate the thought, but paintball is pretty expensive, and winners end up being largely determined by their gear and how much money they can spend on practice.

I just want to spend $5 on a big fake foam covered sword, another maybe $5 on a shield, and go fight people.

Besides, I get my fill of shooting things with real guns.

Really tempted just to find a larp party to crash ala that Red Fang video.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

It would be best to bring a big ol' barrel of mushroom laced 'mead', and make everyone toast. Repeatedly.

TR with pics!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    HEY EVERYBODY LET'S MAKE FUN OF PEOPLE WHOSE OBSESSIONS DIFFER FROM OURS

BECAUSE POSTING 200 TIMES FOR EVERY SKI DAY AND ENDLESSLY DEBATING THE MERITS OF GEAR WE'VE NEVER EVEN USED IS TOTALLY NORMAL
    LARP like a caveman?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........