Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    I love a thread that just keeps deliverin'.

Looks like good times on and off das boot.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Fantastic TR Gnarwhale. Are you working on a video?

I didn't shoot much video since NoHow was all over it and we were often sharing the same angles. I think the plan is to put a segment together for the next Powderwhores film and also make an edit similar to this one that he did last spring after a different Ice Axe ski/boat trip

Quote Originally Posted by The Gnarwhale View Post
    I didn't shoot much video since NoHow was all over it and we were often sharing the same angles. I think the plan is to put a segment together for the next Powderwhores film and also make an edit similar to this one that he did last spring after a different Ice Axe ski/boat trip
    +1 Sweet.

Penguins and skiing *love*

What an amazing trip.

Gladly more praise would I give, would it be that I had more thumbs....Two thumbs up!
    Thanks for sharing!

nice job Gnarwhale!

awesome trip, awesome photos. way to go Gnarwhale. you captured our adventure beautifully. nice work buddy!

http://live.tetongravity.com/_Marc-L...433/75233.html

....//....Now we're situated in a nice hotel with a bunch of the other ski-cruisers. Ushuaia has a touristy, North-American vibe right until you see the bathroom, then it no longer feels like the USA. I'm happy to report that the water pressure is energetic.

Seatless toilets....hehh hehh. You'll find that in a LOT of "2nd" and "3rd" world places...'cause people in these places often don't trust toilet seats....and tend to squat with their feet on the seat even if a toilet seat is present.

Countless times have I seen footprints on seats in Siberia and Korea at railroad stations and such...even if the rest of the restroom is moderately clean. The farther you go off the beaten track the greater the chance that the toilet will have had it's seat simply taken off. That place you're in there is High Class, though, as they simply didn't just take the seat off with a crowbar but instead PAID for actual seatless "squat atop toilet".

Public restrooms in Siberia always cracked me up....there would ALWAYS be an old "babushka" women just inside the restroom door (before you get to the stalls). She would take your few kopeks and hand you five very small squares of what can only be described as very thin fax paper. The lady would literally be inside the public part of the public restroom and would stare at your back as you used the urinal to make sure you didn't make a mess.

You don't want to piss off the 'toilet-women' ...because they'll fling a string of high-speed russian swear words at your back that would make a chomping on a habanero pepper seem refreshing.

--

EDIT: Wait a minute, though. That hole looks a might small. What the HELL is that? Thing has a base like a toilet, drain like a sink and attributes of a urinal.

That's not some all-in-one combination "Sink-toliet-urinal" is it, for Godsakes?

Edit 2: Third look. Ahh, it's just a fucking sink for cripes sakes!!! I've seen more unusual ones in Toledo, Ohio! Good thing you're down there traveling....'cause travelin's a real eye-opener to how others live. I'd suggest you yopu ditch the high-class travel modes on your way back up stateside, though and think about taking trains and local busses back up.

Good deal on the shopping cart though, for schlepping your skis around....that means you're learning!!
    Last edited by Alaskan Rover; 11-29-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Gnarwhalel:

Didn't mean to vagina-up your incredible thread with talk of seatless toilets! I started your TR from the beginning and that picture that you posted just reminded me of things and places.

Now that I've seen your pix, all I can say is EPICALLY FANTASTIC photos of a fantastic place. If the video your friend is working on is anywhere NEAR as good as those photos, I'd look forward to a great vid!!!

What kind of camera did you use?

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:

Svetlana and her Vodka shots were trouble...

Absolutely fantastic! I'm still laughing at the memories and I missed half of it. Nice shootin' James.

The zone. Goddamn.

THIS !!!!!

--

Posted by DJSapp:

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    EDIT: Wait a minute, though. That hole looks a might small. What the HELL is that? Thing has a base like a toilet, drain like a sink and attributes of a urinal.

That's not some all-in-one combination "Sink-toliet-urinal" is it, for Godsakes?

Edit 2: Third look. Ahh, it's just a fucking sink for cripes sakes!!! I've seen more unusual ones in Toledo, Ohio! Good thing you're down there traveling....'cause travelin's a real eye-opener to how others live. I'd suggest you yopu ditch the high-class travel modes on your way back up stateside, though and think about taking trains and local busses back up.
    Ahaha - Russian bathrooms sound awkward. I think a babushka staring holes into the back of my head might lead to stage fright. I spent a month trucking around the Bolivian countryside this summer, including on some rugged public busses and another similar trip to Ecuador a few years ago. Traveling from Patagonia to the States over land would make for an epic trip, though I think public buses would be real low on my list of preferred vehicles. A pedal bike or moto would be amazing though...

Also, its not sink nor a toilet... just one of these.

And camera is 7d

Quote Originally Posted by StraightChuter View Post
    Absolutely fantastic! I'm still laughing at the memories and I missed half of it. Nice shootin' James.
    Thanks Andrew. Yeah, that whole trip was a great time

meh.....

There she is! And def nothing but trouble that one. I got blamed quite a bit the next day for nasty hangovers. Not sure why, but that outfit comes on and somehow I get a Russian accent. Huh, weird.
    You people... stay out of my way. You may ski on zat side OR on zat side, but stay out of zee meedle!

Ahaha - Russian bathrooms sound awkward. I think a babushka staring holes into the back of my head might lead to stage fright. I spent a month trucking around the Bolivian countryside this summer, including on some rugged public busses and another similar trip to Ecuador a few years ago. Traveling from Patagonia to the States over land would make for an epic trip, though I think public buses would be real low on my list of preferred vehicles. A pedal bike or moto would be amazing though...

Also, its not sink nor a toilet... just one of these.

And camera is 7d
    There was an Anchorage Daily News newspaper article I used to keep all folded up until it just fell apart about an American guy and a German guy who made an amzingly EPIC 5 year long trip on horseback from Tierra del Fuego to Fairbanks, Alaska. They had three horses total, which they swap around...one of the horses getting a break walking unloaded at any one time. If I remember correctly, they spent about an equal amouint of time walking beside their horses as they did on the saddle.

They describe actually getting stoned nearly to death by villagers way up in the high Andes as they rode through on horseback because their was apparently an old legend there about a white faced, bearded 'devil' who would arrive on horseback at their village sometime in the future and put a nasty spell on the town and rape and pillage. Those two guys, being white caucasians on horseback, fit there legend closely enough I guess. Apparently that high altitude Andes village had seen no real 'white men" there ever. Only darker skinned latino government soldiers and such from the nearest city is all.

I'll always remember that story.

I'll try and find a link to these two guys' story.

Yeah....I was thinking that looked sorta like a bidet and was going to add it to "toilet-sink-urinal" but it was already becoming a pretty long phrase. Haven't seen a bidet in some time. In the US, it takes an extremely swank hotel to have them...like the Waldorf, etc...as even Four Seasons doesn't have them...at least the one in downtown Seattle didn't. I guess they're everywhere in France....but not at the pensions and hostels I stay at!!

--

Posted by DJSapp:

Thanks for sharing, spectacular photos. Can't say I have seen a better collection of stills ever. Was talking with Wescott on the weekend, said it was unbelievable, he thouroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to get back in two years. Said the trip back was pretty interesting, photos looked pretty wild.

In Cape Town, waiting to fly South
    The plane was delayed today but I think it's flying tomorrow
    Where I'm going is a bit flatter but there are penguins
    'I dare to dream and differ from the hollow lies'

looks like an amazing trip, my partner and i had considered it this year,

looks like a great time, we were thinking of leaping and going epic, talked with karen and such, i almost pulled the trigger 2 yrs ago.

i wonder if you, andrew, etc could talk a bit about the trip from a broader perspective, as it may apply to someone who may venture and leap, but would not necessarliy be in it for the big lines, costume party,tgr post, etc. looks fun as hell anyway you slice it, i have considered it for us and we may be on board the next time around.

we have chosen to be income challenged, but i can't resist the urge to blow her mind here and there..

nice shots gnarwhale. awesome adventure well represented.

@byates1 - this trip is for anyone who is interested in exploring the Antarctic. you're seeing one of the experiences via gnarwhale's shots but there were a few on board who enjoyed snowshoeing, mellow ski touring, zodiac wildlife tours, and visits to penguin rookeries etc.. accompanied by nice evening meals and slideshows and films for entertainment. lots of variation to this adventure! hope that helps..

F U C K I N G E P I C
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

The photos are amazing. Brings new meaning to "trip of a lifetime." Thanks for sharing.

^^thx

but, an overall perspective would be appreciated, from the requested parties.

@byates1 cool. was responding to the "etc". i was a guide on the boat but Andrew and gnarwhale will probably respond directly too. for other "general experience/lifestyle" photos, you can check out gallery keoki- keoki flagg- on facebook. good luck!

Also, as a ski tourer, you get to penetrate somewhat deeper than the normal Antarctic tourist. The ability to traverse glaciated terrain with mountain guides allows one to go beyond beach landings and views from the boat and see the continent from within. It is still but a glimpse of the vast continent but it is still much much more than what almost every other person, past or present, has or will ever see with their own eyes.

As a skiing experience, it is unparalleled. As skiers, we put ourselves, I won't say against nature, but part of the experience is working with the weather, the mountains, the snow. In Antarctica you need to work not just with mountains but the sea. The surf, the waves, and the pack ice all have their effect on decisions and the experience. Only when you have worked your way through the sea, the surf and the mountains will you be given your uniquely privileged views and even more rare ski descent.

PS. For those who need a bit more Antarctica but shot a bit (lot) less professionally than GnarWhale, wcf3 has posted up a Poachinja TR here : http://poachninja.com/forums/snow-fo...fect-chunk-ice
    Last edited by StuntCok; 11-29-2011 at 04:48 PM.
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com