Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

LOST - OUR AMERICAN ESKIMO DOG

NANUQ
    1 YEAR
    25 LBS

Joan didn't realize she left the front door cracked open when she went to retreive the trash can. Nanuq pushed it open and bolted. She didn't see where he went. Whenever he has done this in the past, he usual just chases the bunnies, loops around the buildings nearby and comes back in a few minutes. This time he vanished. He may have run into the giant open space (pasture) that surrounds our neighborhood. But I would have expected to see him after 30min. Hours later, no sign of him at all. He took off around 1:30, it's 5 hours now, and nothing.

Joan contacted animal control, local pounds, the vet. I posted fliers in the neighborhodd. Tomorrow, we'll post fliers at various local vet offices. He is chipped, so we'll notify that company.

Is there anything else we can do?

O fuck, positive vibes your way as I hope there are no coyotes there.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Is he fixed? If not, tis the season for doggy nookie.
    Hope he finds his way home soon!

I know the helpless feeling. Wish I had any solid advice. Sending my best thoughts your way.

Nanuq is fixed. The only dog he tries to hump is Odin.
    There are coyotes around here all the time. However, I did not see any when I was walking around the open space and have not heard any howls tonight. /fingers crossed/

Maybe he made friends with the local prairie dog community and was invited to stay the night.

Where on the Front Range do you live? "under the hogback shadow" isn't being found by Google Maps.
    The best things in life aren't things.

He loves you guys and will come back. If he gets lost on his adventure I'm suire some kind soul will find him and do their best to return him

Sorry to hear this
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherFucker View Post
    Where on the Front Range do you live? "under the hogback shadow" isn't being found by Google Maps.
    We live in Trailmark, off of Wadsworth across from Chatfield Park.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=39.542838...m&z=14&vpsrc=6

Is there a grocery store nearby that all the locals use? If so, print up flyers and put them on every car in the parking lot for a whole day.

When my Elkhounds escaped I spent a whole day flyering every car at a nearby shopping center and it was amazingly effective. Got several calls from people who'd seen them which helped us figure out which direction they were headed (South, into the wind) and helped us concentrate the search which turned them up two days later.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    He loves you guys and will come back. If he gets lost on his adventure I'm suire some kind soul will find him and do their best to return him

Sorry to hear this
    This. If you've had your dog awhile and he knows the area from walks, he'll show up sooner or later.

I adopted a dog and had him about a month when we were mtn biking and he took off after some squirrels and disappeared. I was freaking out, shouting his name for four hours in the woods when I got a call that he was hanging out on the back porch. He'd ran a mile or so back through the woods into the neighborhood, and dug under the fence to get in. And we'd only been up in that area under 10 times.

So if you've had your dog any amount of time, it seems like he will know the area and be back safe and sound in your house real soon

Craigslist can be a huge help as well. i would place an add with the dogs picture, as well as search the found section. My Lab escaped last month and made his way about a 1/4 mile to the pet store and they put an add up 15 minutes later. Freaked out for 5 hours and then a neighbor suggested craigslist. Dog found.

Positive vibes and I hope the lil dude comes home.
    Just ski down there and jump off something for crying out loud!

http://www.evo.com - http://www.nwac.us/

My puppy escaped today.I am going to look into this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Animals-GPS-Tr.../dp/B001RAPJQC

that blows.....hope you find him soon...great lil pup
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

You guys find your pups yet? I guess this is why every rescue I have contacted is mental on the fences/locking gates topic. Hope to hear some good news today from you guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

At 1 yr old, some dogs start getting pretty adventurous, especially if they've been cooped up for a long time. Eskimo dogs and malamutes are bred to run and run they will.

When I was a kid, we had this huge 85 lb standard poodle that looked more like a buffalo, because we never gave him that silly poodle cut. Big and very strong dog. Anyway, he LOVED the outdoors and and woods and one day when I was walking him in some woods not far from our house, he got on a scent and simply vanished. We looked everywhere for like 3 days...and he was nowhere.

About a week later, he came back to our local woods...full of burrs and with thius crazy look in his eyes....part terrified, part exhilerated. But he came back on his own. About 4 pounds lighter. Who knows where he'd been or what he'd been eating.

Dogs still have a bit of the wild in them....and every now ande then, the woods and scents and wildness calls to them and they go.

I hope yours comes back....like ours did. Best of luck to you and to him.

Coyotes can and do take other canines as a territorial threat....often savagely, but they also sometimes just run the other canine off....if he has met up with some, here's hoping they just ran him off and hopefully to some suburbs where maybe someone will corral him.

I'm sure you're already papering the area with his pix and spreading the word to be on lookout. Besides that and endless calling of his name, there not much to do besides wait.

Sending good vibes to you for his quick return.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

still looking

thanks for all the good ideas and positive thoughts.

Good looking pup, VIBES!

Bummer, hope he returns soon. Definitely go visit the shelter daily, don't just call. You would be amazed at how a small white dog isn't small or white when the shelter catalogs them. Be sure to look at what they list as black labs, he just might be one of them.

Good luck and lots of + vibes.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

When we moved years ago, Yaz, an aussie shepherd, vanished for 24 hours. Came strolling home covered with mud, blood and burrs. Never left again. I hope your story ends the same way, good luck.

edit: still waiting for irul to chime in about his name...
    Last edited by iceman; 11-05-2011 at 01:01 PM.

I just got a phone call a few weeks ago about a missing dog alert in my neighborhood. Never heard one of those before. Maybe your area has one? I know it is a stretch with most people nothaving wired service these days but it seemed like a good way to get the message out. Maybe look into it?

Hope you find your pooch
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

After 48 hours, Nanuq is still missing. We have checked all the shelters in the area, physically searched (walked & drove) the open spaces & parks near our home, notified all the vets within 10 miles, posted fliers at all the pet shops, supermarkets, and other stores around the area. Tagged cars in various supermarket parking lots. Posted fliers in various high traffic areas. Posted and regularly search Craigslist, posted on shelter websites.

The little guy will be 1 year old this week. It is cold at night. He's not that tough a dog. I don't know if its the physical exhaustion of continually searching the past 3 days or the never ending worry, but we are starting to lose hope.

a more recent picture

Bummer, sorry to hear.

Try posting on milk cartons.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

goddamn, this makes me sad. Good luck.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Come home Nanuq!

positive thoughts headed your way....come on home Nanuq
    ROLL TIDE ROLL