Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    At this point we think he is either dead or in the hands of someone that isn't planning to give him back.
    I really hope it's not the first. I wouldn't be susprised if it's the second. My dad used to let his dog out to run in the morning. Occasionally, the dog would walk up the street, and next thing you know, my dad couldn't find the dog. Turns out, the family up the street used to let him in - then give him snacks. It was weird.

Good luck EO. Prayers and Vibes for your Eskie.

Searched a bit on CL and other sites, no luck. Sorry as I know the pain you must be feeling. My hunch would be, for such a young pup that was probably hungry, he might have befriended some new owners that had food.

Offer up enough cash for a reward, no questions asked kind of thing. (I see that you have not offered one in your posts online- they might be waiting for cash reward to decide if they return the dog or not). Even if you are not specific- just say "CASH REWARD". You never know...

Also, I assume you updated the microchip company that he is missing? If someone decides to keep him, if/when they take him in for his next vet visit they'll scan and see that he belongs to someone else and make the call. My husky is chipped by Home Again and they also give out bulletins to other chipped dog's owners when a dog in my area goes missing. Every bit helps.

Continued vibes++++

Quote Originally Posted by COUTCA View Post
    ... My dad used to let his dog out to run in the morning. Occasionally, the dog would walk up the street, and next thing you know, my dad couldn't find the dog. Turns out, the family up the street used to let him in - then give him snacks. It was weird...
    I live in an area that has no fences and each property has a 2 acre minimum. My oldest dog used to go missing from time to time. It turns out that several of the neighbors used to let him in their house to play with the kids. In the winter, snows here, he'd come home nice and warm...

More importantly, to the OP, good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Searched a bit on CL and other sites, no luck. Sorry as I know the pain you must be feeling. My hunch would be, for such a young pup that was probably hungry, he might have befriended some new owners that had food.

Offer up enough cash for a reward, no questions asked kind of thing. (I see that you have not offered one in your posts online- they might be waiting for cash reward to decide if they return the dog or not). Even if you are not specific- just say "CASH REWARD". You never know...

Also, I assume you updated the microchip company that he is missing? If someone decides to keep him, if/when they take him in for his next vet visit they'll scan and see that he belongs to someone else and make the call. My husky is chipped by Home Again and they also give out bulletins to other chipped dog's owners when a dog in my area goes missing. Every bit helps.

Continued vibes++++
    Underlined above, reward is goo, and....the first thing I thought of when this thread started was, he is at someone else's house.go door to door.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    I live in an area that has no fences and each property has a 2 acre minimum. My oldest dog used to go missing from time to time. It turns out that several of the neighbors used to let him in their house to play with the kids. In the winter, snows here, he'd come home nice and warm...

More importantly, to the OP, good luck in your search.
    Since you're moving to Tahoe, you'll find this happens there as well. That's were my story originated (and where I grew up).

Still nothing, EO?

It's been a week. Still missing, no leads.
    I have had a sick feeling in my gut because I failed to properly care for this dog. I didn't train him sufficiently to listen and not run off. My wife is especially distraught because she didn't close the door tightly, which allowed Nanuq the opportunity to open it. We left food, water, and his bed outside the front door. I hardly sleep and wake up throughout the night to check the door in the hope he'll have found his way home. We put so much energy this past week into finding him, we are spent. The only consolation is that Odin seems to be more relaxed without the high energy that Nanuq brought into our home.

All those Husky/Malamute/Eskimo breeds have a strong tendency to run in a straight fucking line away, that's genetics in action, don't blame yourself too much. Somebody has him and he'll show up again some day. Get some rest.

I am truly sorry EO. But Iceman is right, many of the Spitz breeds love to take off regardless of training or common sense. I am hoping some other rotten person has your dog (I am assuming he had tags and a chip) and is spoiling him, while you go through hell. None of us can say anything that will make you feel better at this point, but hang in there. On a happy note, I adopted Wile E yesterday. Pics to follow and I hope this puts a smile on your face. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STeVTzWelns
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

My Elkhounds would never come home once they got out here in the city. Too many other things around for them to investigate, too much food upwind. Out in the woods they'd stay near me, unless there were other people around.

I'm sorry to hear he hasn't come back, but I wouldn't blame yourself for it. I don't know how you train a dog to stay on your property when you're not around to control them. Some dogs will naturally stay near home, others (as mentioned, typical spitz breed behavior) will roam off.

My bet is that he'll eventually show up somewhere. Someone probably has him and doesn't know how to figure out where he came from.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

I hate this. Every dog i have had has taken off for some period of time, I always get them back. The most important thing is to get as many other eyes as you can looking. I bribe neighborhood kids, but keep in mind a dog can cover many miles too. Get the word out.

I had one dog go missing for 6 months! Some idiot took him for his own! I caught the guy walking my dog down a road with his own. I got him back and kept him for another 12 yrs!

Stay positive, and get the word out!

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    I don't know how you train a dog to stay on your property when you're not around to control them. Some dogs will naturally stay near home, others (as mentioned, typical spitz breed behavior) will roam off.
    I don't think you can train them (Spitz breeds) not to run and follow their noses. You can contain them and train them to follow commands, but if they get loose without direction from you? Tough one.

Spitz breeds naturally want to run in a straight line. Herding breeds naturally want to run in a circle, which brings them home. A Border Collie will never run off, but there will be times when you wish he would because he won't leave you alone to chill for a minute. Tradeoffs.

Everyday I scan through the web listing for the animal shelters from Longmont to CO Springs. Yesterday I came across a dog in the CO Springs shelter matching Nanuq's description. This was the first time I saw any dog even closely resembling him. I called the shelter and they confirmed they had the dog and he had the same brand microchip. My mind started to think that we found our dog, but the person told us the chip info sent them to Pet City in town. I got Joan on the phone to verify the chip number. It was not the same. My excitement was crushed.

Today marks 2 weeks missing.

doughboyshredder Guest
    still sending positive vibes your way. Good luck with your search.

I got Joan on the phone to verify the chip number. It was not the same. My excitement was crushed.

Fuck EO. Truly sorry man. I guess that is another reason all the rescues I contacted in my search for a dog were retarded insistent on a fenced in yard.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Everyday I scan through the web listing for the animal shelters from Longmont to CO Springs. Yesterday I came across a dog in the CO Springs shelter matching Nanuq's description. This was the first time I saw any dog even closely resembling him. I called the shelter and they confirmed they had the dog and he had the same brand microchip. My mind started to think that we found our dog, but the person told us the chip info sent them to Pet City in town. I got Joan on the phone to verify the chip number. It was not the same. My excitement was crushed.

Don't beat yourself up over this. Dogs have a mind of their own.
    You are clearly a loving dog owner. Your screen handle is after your other dog..that speaks volumes in itself.

I've seen your posts on craigslist....I've checked looking for your dog....

I lost the best dog ever several years back in a way I might have been able to prevent.
    Beating myself up over that won't bring him back.

Good luck.

^^Indeed. My Elkhound Rikki's death was preventable. It was a fluke, but preventable and I spent a lot of time second guessing myself but in the end it doesn't change anything.

I'll stay positive that you'll get Nanuq back eventually. I've heard plenty of stories of dogs who've been gone a long time suddenly turning up to not believe it's possible.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Hang tough buddy....things have a way of working out. Blurred speaks the truth, I know you're a great owner and sometimes shit just happens. Keep your head up.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

You've probably already done this, I'm sure...but I'd call the shelter back and get a visual on that dog...see if they can email you a digital pix of the dog. The microchipping system is not wholly infallible...there can be registration key inputting mistakes made, scanner mistakes, etc. If it's not a visually readable number tag, then there is a chance that the microchip might have been registered incorrectly...or has somehow malfunctioned.

Get an accurate visual description of that dog...it would assure your mind anyway.

Continued vibes and luck and hope to you.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

AR, that dog was claimed right away by its owners.
    The last time Nanuq was in the vet, my wife verified the chip number. So unless the chip doesn't get scanned properly, we should get notification through the chip company.

Blurred, how you lost your dog was heartbreaking. I almost lost my previous dog in similar circumstance.

We remain cautiously optimistic and continue looking. I know people have stories of their dogs returning after weeks. But, we also keep the realistic position that Nanuq could well be dead. He was a young, small, and inexperienced dog that did not show an aptitude for independent survival. At this point, if we get him back it is because someone has him.

I greatly appreciate everyone that has taken time to search. Thank you.

oh man, I'm really sorry. I couldn't imagine what you're going through.

Some of those husky-type dogs really do wander, though. I think my brother's dog used to disappear for days at a time while running amok in Talkeetna, AK.

It's possible your dog has bee dognapped. If something happened to your dog, and they brought it somewhere, it would have been found because of the chip.
    Somebody might have your dog. They will follow whoever might have food.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    oh man, I'm really sorry. I couldn't imagine what you're going through.

Some of those husky-type dogs really do wander, though. I think my brother's dog used to disappear for days at a time while running amok in Talkeetna, AK.

It's possible your dog has bee dognapped. If something happened to your dog, and they brought it somewhere, it would have been found because of the chip.
    Somebody might have your dog. They will follow whoever might have food.
    That would actually be a good thing. As soon as that person takes the dog to a Vet they will see he's a runaway and contact Elkhound Odin. Happens a lot with chipped dogs who are stolen or "rescued" off the street and kept.

This thread never caught my eye until tonight becuase I saw your flier today when I picked up a Pizza. I live near by and take my dog for lots of walks and bike rides I will keep an eye out.

update for anyone wondering. We had a few recent hits in the shelters stretching from Adams county to Colorado Springs, but not Nanuq. We've extended our search out of state in the event someone might have grabbed him.

We've gotten suggestions about trying a pet psychic. um, what? for realz? Some crackpot telling us that she reached his dead spirit and he said he's sorry for running off?

We've gotten suggestions about trying a pet psychic. um, what? for realz? Some crackpot telling us that she reached his dead spirit and he said he's sorry for running off?
    Fuck, why would someone tell you that shit??? Are you suppose to be relieved by the great news and put them in your will? Jeezuz. Sorry E.O.
    Edit: maybe I miss read that. Anyways, skip that shit for sure.