Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Snow Tire help

Quote Originally Posted by chadeau View Post
    This ^

and just because the rule doesn't apply to Canada doesn't mean it isn't a good rule of thumb to follow. As far as I'm concerned, after the breaks, tires are the most important thing on my vehicle.

They funny thing about snow tires in Vancouver is that when it snows here, the people WITH the snow tires stay OFF the roads because of shitty drivers without snow tires.
    I have to drive to work for my new job, not looking forward to first snow, there was frost on the ground this morning in Burnaby.

Actually, first day it's looking like snow I might just "work from home" (aka drive to Whistler at 6am before anyone gets on the roads).

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    I have to drive to work for my new job, not looking forward to first snow, there was frost on the ground this morning in Burnaby.

OOOH I wonder how many people called in "sick" !

Sorry, do not have enough time left on planet earth to read through this whole thread. 1,000,000+ road miles tell me. Living in the mountains. STUDS!!!!! End of question.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    1,000,000+ road miles tell me. Living in the mountains. STUDS!!!!! End of question.
    Meh, after 15 years of living full time in the mountains between Colorado and Washington I've never owned a set of studded tires. Good M&S rated tires have been plenty and have never left me stranded, or otherwise stuck. Regardless of the conditions not having studs has never presented an issue.

Two Words. Black Ice. If you LIVE in the mountains you are in the know.

I was in the East bound lane 5 min. earlier stuck behind a DOT sand truck that couldn't make it up the Summit West ramp. But then, I knew how to drive/slide and scooted around it in the rental car to the boys house. Studs are the answer for the clueless.

Last edited by wooley12; 11-04-2011 at 09:39 PM.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

^^^
    Yeah I remember that cluster.
    That was on the West bound lanes just past the Denny drainage.
    As I recall a result of truckers that hadn't chained up.
    I could be wrong about that detail however it rings true for a lot of pass delays and closures.

Studs are the answer for the clueless.
    Perhaps. However, nothing replaces patients and subtlety when it comes to driving in winter conditions.
    There is also a lot to be said for understanding the limitations of your vehicle and it's tires in any given condition.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Perhaps. However, nothing replaces patients and subtlety when it comes to driving in winter conditions.
    There is also a lot to be said for understanding the limitations of your vehicle and it's tires in any given condition.
    -QFT
    Whatever your setup, I don't think it's a bad idea to try it out in some snow covered empty parking lot. Figure out what it takes to break traction, and how quickly you can recover control.

Also good to remember that getting there an hour later is better than landing in a ditch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    -QFT

Also good to remember that getting there an hour later is better than landing in a ditch.

according to a crazy finnish truck driver I used to drink with, bad weather is always a good excuse for running late ...an accident is not

Eight year bump
    I searched, seems like everything else is about all seasons or big truck tires

Getting dedicated snows for my '17 outback. Choices
    - Blizzak WS90
    - Haakapeliita 8
    - Michelin X-ice XI2 (40K tread life warranty)

Total cost difference is about $50

Driving in Central OR. Snow quite a bit drier than west side of Cascades. Roads snow covered ~50% of the time but generally plowed. Mt B parking is sometimes plowed sometimes notsomuch. Last year with the all-seasons it didn't want to hold a straight line in 6" unplowed.

So, recommendations?
    Note - none of the choices come in red
    Thanks

Love my hakkas. Always have always will

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Xice3 has the 40k warranty and are better than the xice2. They wear like iron. We get 5 seasons out of them driving mostly dry roads.

We have 3 sets of the xice3 and one set if xice2 latitudes for the 4runner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Can you even buy the XICE 2's, they haven't been made for a long time.

Pirelli and Continental are also making top tier tires. There were rated above the WS80s, which are incredible.

Basically if you're after tread life and dry/highway manners get the Michelin.

If you want snow traction get a Bridgestone, Pirelli, or Continental.

Edit: I don't really know much about the Nokians.

Hak r anything. Budget? There are other options.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Xice3 has the 40k warranty and are better than the xice2. They wear like iron. We get 5 seasons out of them driving mostly dry roads.

We have 3 sets of the xice3 and one set if xice2 latitudes for the 4runner.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Can you even buy the XICE 2's, they haven't been made for a long time.
    Here's what Discount Tire quoted me today. They pushed the 40K warranty
    https://www.discounttiredirect.com/b...ce-xi2/p/35307

While the warranty is appealing, the tread blocks look to me more like a all-season - I gotta be prepared for mornings like this
    Name:  IMG_1205.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  91.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0852.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  72.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Hak r anything. Budget? There are other options.
    Cheap steel wheels and the tires above are gonna set me back $1250-1300 (of which $240 is for #$%^& TPMS valve stems), so had a hard time adding another $100 to get to R3s. Tread pattern looks very close to Haka 8. Maybe go mo' balla' next set.

These three all have good reps, just wanted to bask in the wisdom of this mob.

Keep it coming. Thanks

Put money on the 8's. You wont lose.

The milf mobile is running Hakk 8's this season, studded for her pleasure. Been running Ipikes for the last three cars, last set was not studded and she just didn't like 'em.

Got a good deal on these so we'll try them out this season. Fucking things look angry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191022_083644_01_01.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	298956

Having driven both the Hakkapellita studded and studless when living in a 50/50 snow/bare area, I'd go for the studless (R3 now I think?) over the studded unless you're going to find yourself on actual ice often for some reason, or are going to be autocrossing or something. The studded handle noticeably better in the snow, but holy fuck are they loud on dry pavement. Especially in a Subaru, which are not known for noise isolation. Have been on studless Rs or R2s for years now and never really wished I had stuck with studded.

Quote Originally Posted by eggsbenedict View Post
    Having driven both the Hakkapellita studded and studless when living in a 50/50 snow/bare area, I'd go for the studless (R3 now I think?) over the studded unless you're going to find yourself on actual ice often for some reason, or are going to be autocrossing or something. The studded handle noticeably better in the snow, but holy fuck are they loud on dry pavement. Especially in a Subaru, which are not known for noise isolation. Have been on studless Rs or R2s for years now and never really wished I had stuck with studded.
    I drive in snow and ice for at least 6 months of the year and all I can say is ^^^

TBS the xice2 latitudes are okay on our 4R but not amazing. I don't think they came with the 40k warranty...maybe they added that to match the xi2 warranty later. Big improvement over the ltx ms2 all seasons we run in the summer but...the xice3 kick ass for snow and ice traction AND last despite what some people who have never owned them say. Superb winter rubber.

So if all you can get with Mich in that size is the latitude xi2 and not the xi3 I would agree...look elsewhere. The xi2 latitude seem middling. No regrets buying them for our 'truck' based SUV but an Outback deserves better. My old outback has xi3 but obviously in a different size.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I had Michelin xi3 on my Subaru and their tread life was amazing. They were great until they got to 4/32.

Went with Hakka R3 and they were horrible in deeper snow. I leveraged the discount tire return policy and swapped for Hakka 8 unstudded and very happy with them.

The R3 were “sportier” tires but didn’t do as well in the snow as the Hakka 8.

No studs with AWD.

What do you guys think about this?
    Basically, it says the cons of studs outweigh the pros in most situations.

https://www.outsideonline.com/235900...inter-car-prep

If my car is driving a lot around town where it's iced off quite often, studs. If it's driving a lot of interstate and highway with good clearing, no studs.

And yes studs with AWD.

Just get the WS90. They will blow you away.

I don't the Hakka's have the edge like they used to.

Cheap steel wheels and the tires above are gonna set me back $1250-1300 (of which $240 is for #$%^& TPMS valve stems), so had a hard time adding another $100 to get to R3s. Tread pattern looks very close to Haka 8. Maybe go mo' balla' next set.

FWIW Rock Auto has TPMS for 2017 Outback at a much lower price. Schrader for $24.79 each and AC Delco for $32.79.