Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Snow Tire help

I live in snow country. I get new studded snows every 2 or 3 seasons at most. At 50%+ remaining, I sell them for cheap and make back about 20-30% of the new set.

For me, the best snows are new. Often not the most expensive.

Fwd Vw TDI Wagen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    I have always over packed and all over prepared but now that my wife is not well with Alzheimer's, that above all else is why I stress of about lost time in winter conditions. Summer is not bad. Little stress with that.
    She's originally from Montreal and I North of Toronto (king city). I can't be put into a situation where a 5 hour drive could become twice as long due having to find a shop. I need to change a flat then get to point A then go get it fixed or replaced afterwards. Also I plan on leaving her with her parents to do 2 days trips. It would be unfair to have her mom and dad take care for longer than that given that they are both not do well either. No other family members in Montreal are willing or able to give her the care she needs. She can't even go to toilet without help. This above all my neurotic thinking is the real reason I want to be prepared.
    I recently woke up from a 2 year funk of lamenting her situation and now I'm going to start living again and doing what I love most. Skiing. Not western skiing as I would like but from Montreal I have some good options. Jay Peak and Le Massif are tops on my list.

Sorry if I have annoyed some but I grew up with some 4x4s and that was never an issue or a second thought. Reading horror stories and a friend telling me his put me in obsessed zone.
    Ahh. Sorry, I know I’ve seen about your wife having Alzheimer’s before but completely forgot. I can see how that adds a whole new level of worry.

I still wouldn’t personally be concerned with a tire rotating the wrong way temporarily. Can’t really give any firm advice on the tire wear/circumference issue. My guess is finishing a drive with a tire different wouldn’t be an issue, but I’m not certain, and it could vary by vehicle.

If you go with five new tires then circumference is not an issue as long as you rotate the fifth in, but then that does mean dismounting and remounting a tire each year to keep things rolling the right way - not the end of the world, but a bit of a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I live in snow country. I get new studded snows every 2 or 3 seasons at most. At 50%+ remaining, I sell them for cheap and make back about 20-30% of the new set.

Fwd Vw TDI Wagen.
    Studded aren’t allowed everywhere - like Ontario and Quebec, I believe (though I haven’t lived there in a while).

But yeah, tread depth has a noticeable impact on performance.

ETA: I -think- a budget studded tire is going to be better able to compete with a premium studded, versus the non-studdeds (would have to go back and look at tests). Non-studded tires are going to need to rely on the tread compound to balance ice/wet/dry grip, whereas the studded can rely on studs for ice grip and focus more on balancing wet/dry with the compound.

Premium tires will use more advanced rubber compounds to achieve less compromise when doing that ice/wet/dry balance vs. the budget non-studded.

studs are allowed in quebec and some of my neighbors like to leave them on all summer, just in case.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Studded aren’t allowed everywhere - like Ontario and Quebec, I believe (though I haven’t lived there in a while).

But yeah, tread depth has a noticeable impact on performance.

ETA: I -think- a budget studded tire is going to be better able to compete with a premium studded, versus the non-studdeds (would have to go back and look at tests). Non-studded tires are going to need to rely on the tread compound to balance ice/wet/dry grip, whereas the studded can rely on studs for ice grip and focus more on balancing wet/dry with the compound.

Premium tires will use more advanced rubber compounds to achieve less compromise when doing that ice/wet/dry balance vs. the budget non-studded.
    Agreed, and ultimately, there are so many subjective determinants for each person/application.

Studless venues require a whole different thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

Fwd Vw TDI Wagen.
    I do the same. You could make an argument you should do the same on summer tires for wet driving, but it's especially important on winters.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I do the same. You could make an argument you should do the same on summer tires for wet driving, but it's especially important on winters.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Absolutely. Luckily I live in a dry, cool climate so summers last 4 seasons here...

I might be biased as I'm Finnish, but a vote for Nokian studded tires.

Starting the fourth winter with Hakkapeliitta C3 on my rwd Sprinter. The van came with some new chinese studded tires, and they were finished after one winter. Changed to the C3's mid-winter and the difference was astonishing. I think they are due replacing after this winter or mid-winter, after maybe 60-70k kilometers. Looks like the current model is C4, not sure about the differences.

It's much more demanding in Norway (wet, warm, ice, steep roads, a lot more snow) than Lapland (dry, extremely cold ice and mellow roads). Here they don't even try to keep the asfalt visible, they just manage and even out the layer of ice that accumulates during the winter from october to may.