Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Snow Tire help

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    That used to be the case. Now I think the bottom 50% is regular winter compound vs. the multi-cell compound.

I shoulda just said "yeah".
    So the tire performance still drops off at 50% but it's still at least better than all season?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    What do you guys think about this?
    Basically, it says the cons of studs outweigh the pros in most situations.

https://www.outsideonline.com/235900...inter-car-prep
    Although written in 2018, the stud verses stud less data is very old. Nokian has been updating the technology involved in the use of studs considerably since 1994 and 2001. He touts the great advances in stud less designs, but does not mention the advances in studded tires since 2001. That fact makes me dubious of the accuracy of this article.

I have been using Nokiaan Hakks studded since version 1, and am amazed at how good they are, but am looking at stud less this year due to changing weather conditions. Den

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Not a 1 ton but it’s turbo diesel
    I’m sensing Hakk 8 studless could be a nice compromise and allow me to leave wheels on for a few months vs studded swaps [in low lands]
    I would reckon you would want the Nokian R3 SUV if not running studs for the best technologies

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Also to add about Blizzaks... my wife has them on her AWD venza and they really are great tires, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they only have a the winter rubber compound to somewhere around 50% wear and then it's all season rubber.

You could make the argument that you should be replacing winter tires then anyway since tread depth seems more important in winter, but if you're straddling that line one season and all of the sudden your winters start acting like all seasons, that would suck hard.

I pay close attention to the wear of these tires for her. And on the plus side she's put two winters on them and they're still at about 75% so that's quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    That used to be the case. Now I think the bottom 50% is regular winter compound vs. the multi-cell compound.

I shoulda just said "yeah".
    Depends on the Blizzak model:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...echid=116#lm22
    ... since the LM line, like this current model:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...lizzak%20LM001
    ... is all just one compound, whereas the WS line, like this current model:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...l=Blizzak+WS90
    ... still has the dual-compound design:
    "Blizzak WS90 tires feature snow platforms that act as winter wear bars and notify drivers when they are near the end of the Multi-Cell compound (actual depth of Multi-Cell compound varies slightly by tire size). Beneath the Multi-Cell compound is Bridgestone's best winter compound, but without the Multi-Cell feature."
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Yeah. The WS series are not as good as new but better then an A/S.
    Last edited by The Tortoise; 10-23-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    It's really hard to find a tire shop in the US that will do that any more. The last time I had success with that approach was in the fall of 2012 in Salt Lake. Since then I've gotten the "we won't mount them without the TPMS" from a number of shops across several states.

Ordering them on Rock Auto is a good idea!
    Up here they just ask if you want TPMS sensors or not, I would not have thot of that
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks for that info Jonathan.

Funny that bridgtone used to describe using a lesser compound as a "wear indicator" like it's a feature.

Thanks for that info Jonathan.

Funny that bridgtone used to describe using a lesser compound as a "wear indicator" like it's a feature.

Heh, yes, very true!

Although overall it does make sense for the WS series models, since if you're driving a classically chunky winter tire like that, wouldn't want to keep using the tire for winter beyond that level of tread depth.
    Plus I wonder if whether making the entire tread depth out of the multi-cell compound would lead to unacceptable levels of tread squirm?
    (At the other end of the spectrum, only about a week or so under Town Fair Tire expects to be able to obtain the Vredestein Wintrac Pro for the wimpy winters we have here in New England, where rain and slush are more typical, unless you live on a more rural road.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Sales guy at TireRack told me they're supposed to sell them with TPMS. Then asked "do you have a set of TPMS that you plan to mount yourself?" I answered "no, I'll just cover the light with electrical tape." So he asked me again, pointing out that he needed a better answer. Worked fine. Tires arrived this weekend, getting mounted today. Naturally, its going to hit 90 degrees here today.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Up here they just ask if you want TPMS sensors or not, I would not have thot of that
    Unlike the US, TPMS isn't mandatory in Canada. Subaru (as an example) has never had the TPMS system installed/activated on Canadian cars as of 2018, not sure about newer models. I gather it's been an issue for people trying to import their Canadian car into the US.

I like the piece of mind of TPMS but damn $240. Ouch.
    I get around 3-4 seasons on my nokians and they are worth every penny when I can ski and other folks are in the ditch. But they will not help when the jackknifing AS yahoo blocks the road.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Thanks for all the input. Bought the Hakk 8s.
    Did you know that Hakkapiilita is the name of an elite 17th century Finnish light cavalry regiment. It means “Hack them to pieces”

Decided to forgo studs. Ice isn’t a big issue here, other than a few spicy roundabouts in Bend.

Oh yea, Discount Tire will not mount the tires without TPMS valves. Fed law. I could probably figure out how to get around the regs, but would prolly end up costing more than the valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Bought the Hakk 8s.
    Did you know that Hakkapiilita is the name of an elite 17th century Finnish light cavalry regiment. It means “Hack them to pieces”

Decided to forgo studs. Ice isn’t a big issue here, other than a few spicy roundabouts in Bend.

Oh yea, Discount Tire will not mount the tires without TPMS valves. Fed law. I could probably figure out how to get around the regs, but would prolly end up costing more than the valves.
    You could take the tires to just one of those local guys that changes tires, I’ve done it a couple times.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Walmart will mount tires without TPMS sensors, just drop off the wheels and tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Snows mounted. Along with mud flaps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pumpkin1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	299299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pumpkin3.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	299300  
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Depends on the Blizzak model:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...echid=116#lm22
    ... since the LM line, like this current model:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...lizzak%20LM001
    ... is all just one compound, whereas the WS line, like this current model:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...l=Blizzak+WS90
    ... still has the dual-compound design:
    "Blizzak WS90 tires feature snow platforms that act as winter wear bars and notify drivers when they are near the end of the Multi-Cell compound (actual depth of Multi-Cell compound varies slightly by tire size). Beneath the Multi-Cell compound is Bridgestone's best winter compound, but without the Multi-Cell feature."
    Do you, or anyone else, know if the Blizzak LT has the full multi-cell compound?

I've been looking on tire rack and the Bridgestone website and can't find that info.

It looks like a commercial designed tire but I have a line locally on a used set for what might be a good price.

I see everyone here's pretty set on their "big three" tire selection, but I thought I'd jump in to give a plug for the set I ran for the past three winters on my 2015 Forester, General Altimax Artics. Those things had a heck of a lot of grip in deep and hard-packed snow. I've driven past a fair number of struggling vehicles in these past three seasons to attest to the quality of these snow tires. The only drawbacks were: (1) They get noticeably worse gas mileage (5--10%, iirc); and, (2) They were pretty noisy. I thought that these were minor given the grip those things had.

The new version of the tire is named the "Altimax Artic 12 Studdable" (the former version was also stubbable), so they're at the top of my list for replacing my older rev here in the next couple of weeks. Oh, and they're pretty reasonably priced as well, just in case that matters.

Good luck!

cheers,
    john

First off, no experience with this tire, but...

You mentioned not being impressed with past winter tires. Unless you are driving a 3/4 or 1 ton then these most likely won't impress you either. They have to stand up to the heavier weights, torque, etc of those trucks so they generally need to have a tougher tread compound to match. That usually means reduced winter performance compared to P-metric winter tires.

Do you, or anyone else, know if the Blizzak LT has the full multi-cell compound?

I've been looking on tire rack and the Bridgestone website and can't find that info.

It looks like a commercial designed tire but I have a line locally on a used set for what might be a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    First off, no experience with this tire, but...

You mentioned not being impressed with past winter tires. Unless you are driving a 3/4 or 1 ton then these most likely won't impress you either. They have to stand up to the heavier weights, torque, etc of those trucks so they generally need to have a tougher tread compound to match. That usually means reduced winter performance compared to P-metric winter tires.
    Actually I was impressed with my all weathers last season but that's in comparison to a winter tire of unknown "goodness".

I ended up buying these tires and we got a pretty decent snow here. I was pleased with them but there were one or 2 places of packed ice where I was sliding a bit.

I took my mum's corolla with studded hakkapeliita's and I was sliding as much or more as my truck with the blizzak LT, and in the same manner of slide.

In deep slushy snow they were amazing! Have 16/32 of tread depth is probably why they work so well there.

So summary is I'm pretty impressed with the tires so far.

Nice! Glad to hear they are working out. And yeah, tread depth and lug spacing make LT tires perform really well in slush, 3d, etc.

Actually I was impressed with my all weathers last season but that's in comparison to a winter tire of unknown "goodness".

I ended up buying these tires and we got a pretty decent snow here. I was pleased with them but there were one or 2 places of packed ice where I was sliding a bit.

I took my mum's corolla with studded hakkapeliita's and I was sliding as much or more as my truck with the blizzak LT, and in the same manner of slide.

In deep slushy snow they were amazing! Have 16/32 of tread depth is probably why they work so well there.

So summary is I'm pretty impressed with the tires so far.

how well do studs do and last if you are mostly banging the wood roads, e.g. hunting during bad weather?

def not better than chains right (e.g. fresh 18" of snow)?

any experience?

Run regular tires and chain up. No brainer.

For everyday use in ice/packed glossy shit, studs win.

Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post
    how well do studs do and last if you are mostly banging the wood roads, e.g. hunting during bad weather?

any experience?
    Definitely not close to chains. That’s like comparing a compact tractor to a bull dozer.

Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post

any experience?
    Yes. Chain them up. All four.

Re: icy forest service roads.

A wise man once told me, "Carry chains for all 4 but only put one set on. If you get stuck use the other set to get the fuck out of there". Sound wisdom IME.
    Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton