Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Snow Tire help

Most of the roads where I live are just packed snow and ice layered with sand in the winter. Without studs, you’re just sliding all over the fucking place.

Snow Tire help

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Most of the roads where I live are just packed snow and ice layered with sand in the winter. Without studs, you’re just sliding all over the fucking place.
    Man i wish they sanded my roads. Instead they put a brine on them. It sucks.
    And yes, studs in awd if you live in an icy environment.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Man i wish they sanded my roads. Instead they put a brine on them. It sucks.
    And yes, studs in awd if you live in an icy environment.
    I wish they used sand here instead of the 3/4" drain rock that machine guns my paint and windshields.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I wish they used sand here instead of the 3/4" drain rock that machine guns my paint and windshields.
    I dunno man. I can repaint, get a new windshield. The whole vehicle rust thing pisses me off. My truck had zero rust three years ago before they started to use the shit heavily. I now spent a ton of money repairing the rust and combating it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Cheap steel wheels and the tires above are gonna set me back $1250-1300 (of which $240 is for #$%^& TPMS valve stems), so had a hard time adding another $100 to get to R3s. Tread pattern looks very close to Haka 8. Maybe go mo' balla' next set.

FWIW Rock Auto has TPMS for 2017 Outback at a much lower price. Schrader for $24.79 each and AC Delco for $32.79.
    I never get the TPMS, I just let the light stay on
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    It's really hard to find a tire shop in the US that will do that any more. The last time I had success with that approach was in the fall of 2012 in Salt Lake. Since then I've gotten the "we won't mount them without the TPMS" from a number of shops across several states.

Ordering them on Rock Auto is a good idea!

Blizzaks all the way . . . All though I have had "Off Brand" snows before a long time ago and thought they where excellent for what thats worth (I can't remember the name of them)

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Eight year bump
    I searched, seems like everything else is about all seasons or big truck tires

Getting dedicated snows for my '17 outback. Choices
    - Blizzak WS90
    - Haakapeliita 8
    - Michelin X-ice XI2 (40K tread life warranty)

Total cost difference is about $50

Driving in Central OR. Snow quite a bit drier than west side of Cascades. Roads snow covered ~50% of the time but generally plowed. Mt B parking is sometimes plowed sometimes notsomuch. Last year with the all-seasons it didn't want to hold a straight line in 6" unplowed.

So, recommendations?
    Note - none of the choices come in red
    Thanks
    Relatively dry conditions and desire for good performance in unplowed? Hakka 8 is what you want.

If you want better ice traction get the blizzaks but most likely less usable treadlife and not as good in the deep.

Snow Tire help

I’ve been chewing on which tire and maybe you can help resolve. Mid weight SUV awd with LD. Live in metro city with no snow. My Mtn drive is an hour to reach snow then short distance in a wide range of snow conditions but primarily wet heavy snow. Will be towing a 4K lbs trailer occasionally skiing. Will take long trips into areas of snow.
    No size for me on X ice tires. Can go with Hakk 3 or 8 studless, Bliz DM-V2, oorrr?
    Last edited by CascadeLuke; 10-23-2019 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Yeah, this. Driving for decades, never needed it. And some tire changing schmuck ain't gonna plan my life. Not mounting a tire due to a tpms, should be of no concern to them. That's on you.
    And you only need to mount them once. Many newer cars have a way to adapt this.

My winter set needs to be fresh, that's all. Mileage warranty is for chumps, who's gonna go the distance on these tires? Refresh tires every 3 seasons about$100 per and sell em for half that. Some skid is always psyched.

And I don't buy the pricey ones. Arctic claw txi's now, many firestone winterforces, etc. I prefer a fairly aggressive blocky tread with studs from about now through march. In JH so plainly colder/snowier than many of yas.

I must agree that although studs make the slickest roads feel way mo betta, they're prolly overkill for most needs. Hi tech rubbers are impressive these days. That studs destroy roads is old news and not a real concern; noise factor can go to 11 though.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    I’ve been chewing on which tire and maybe you can help resolve. Mid weight SUV awd with LD. Live in metro city with no snow. My Mtn drive is an hour to reach snow then short distance in a wide range of snow conditions but primarily wet heavy snow. Will be towing a 4K lbs trailer occasionally skiing. Will take long trips into areas of snow.
    No size for me on X ice tires. Can go with Hakk 3 or 8 studless, Bliz DM-V2, oorrr?
    Buy some good M+S tires and slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

I must agree that although studs make the slickest roads feel way mo betta, they're prolly overkill for most needs. Hi tech rubbers are impressive these days.
    Agreed. If I'm driving highway miles, I'll happily go without studs. If it gets too sporty for good AWD and studless snow tires, it's time to get off the road.

Around town, especially downtown where it never sees sun during the winter, gotta stud them up.

Dry climate=studless
    PNWET=studded
    Roads around here are zambonied in the winter.

I have never had a tire shop give me hell for no tpms. If you buy them mounted from the Tire Rack of DTD. Once they are mounted with no tpms they say nothing for a remount or repair. If they give you hell being them in loose. I do keep the tpms on the summer sets...replacing damaged valves as needed. Ymmv.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Buy some good M+S tires and slow down.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Dry climate=studless
    PNWET=studded
    Roads around here are zambonied in the winter.
    I have two wheel sets to utilize. My nice wheels have a solid M + S tire I’m happy with. Maybe I should go studded on 2nd set specifically for when towing in winter? It will be infrequent so will amount to swapping prior to trailer trips..
    I dunno, might be a bit too much of a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    I have two wheel sets to utilize. My nice wheels have a solid M + S tire I’m happy with. Maybe I should go studded on 2nd set specifically for when towing in winter? It will be infrequent so will amount to swapping prior to trailer trips..
    I dunno, might be a bit too much of a headache.

Hakka 8 or 9 studded (or not)...you already have the wheels. Wouldn't want to tow in the winter with all seasons

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    What do you guys think about this?
    Basically, it says the cons of studs outweigh the pros in most situations.

https://www.outsideonline.com/235900...inter-car-prep
    I hadn't read this article before but the arguments are familiar.

The parts of the argument that don't add up to me is saying the conditions don't require studs most of the time, and saying cornering and braking on dry pavement is reduced.

I don't require my seatbelt most of the time either, but I want it there when it's necessary to save my life. And I don't ever drive my truck hard enough in any conditions where losing traction while cornering on dry pavement will be an issue, let alone in winter. I guess I can't argue with reduced stopping distance being less than ideal but I really pay attention to not following too closely.

Where I want studded tires is when the snow gets packed down into polished sheets on off ramps and intersections, and surprise patches of black ice. Both of which happen irregularly where I live, but also happen multiple times a year.

Having said all of that, I've still never tried studded tires for some reason... though I'm considering them now.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Also to add about Blizzaks... my wife has them on her AWD venza and they really are great tires, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they only have a the winter rubber compound to somewhere around 50% wear and then it's all season rubber.

You could make the argument that you should be replacing winter tires then anyway since tread depth seems more important in winter, but if you're straddling that line one season and all of the sudden your winters start acting like all seasons, that would suck hard.

I pay close attention to the wear of these tires for her. And on the plus side she's put two winters on them and they're still at about 75% so that's quite good.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    Hakka 8 or 9 studded (or not)...you already have the wheels. Wouldn't want to tow in the winter with all seasons
    4,000 lbs? No sweat. 10,000 lbs, that's a different story.

4,000 lbs? No sweat. 10,000 lbs, that's a different story.
    Haha, yeah, but pretty sure he's towing with a grocery-getter, not a 1 ton

I’m a big fan of Nokians, but usually don’t splurge for Hakkas and get the Nordmans instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I’m a big fan of Nokians, but usually don’t splurge for Hakkas and get the Nordmans instead.
    I was looking to get those from wally world but tires easy is giving away the Hakka 8's right now.

Troof.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Also to add about Blizzaks... my wife has them on her AWD venza and they really are great tires, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they only have a the winter rubber compound to somewhere around 50% wear and then it's all
    That used to be the case. Now I think the bottom 50% is regular winter compound vs. the multi-cell compound.

I shoulda just said "yeah".

Troof.
    Not a 1 ton but it’s turbo diesel
    I’m sensing Hakk 8 studless could be a nice compromise and allow me to leave wheels on for a few months vs studded swaps [in low lands]