Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Snow Tire help

Why get stuck? Hang iron on all four and get at it.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Why get stuck? Hang iron on all four and get at it.
    Because sometimes shit happens?

Anyone who does any off-roading will think you're a damn fool if you utilize every tool in your metaphorical off-road toolbox to get INTO somewhere. Always have something in reserve in case conditions deteriorate before you make it back out.

Look, I don't want to get into some stupid internet pissing match over off roading, but if I'm looking at a snow choked FS road, and the question is - let's see if we can do it with two chains and see what happens, that means four chains.

And with shovels and good recon, I haven't gotten stuck yet, knock on wood.

Never have used studs or been around anyone who has readily used them in the western usa,4x4 is typ gtg. i do have 2 firestone dest mt tires for hunting season of that have holes specific for studs. tires only get put on if it is nasty. was just wondering.

rule of thumb for tire chains in the woods is two in front only and drive in 4 wheel. one can therefore steer / control and still have significant traction. of course chains on all fours is gtg... unless there is old snow or drifts, then one should rethink. toyota trucks have trouble putting chains on the front due to the uca clearance. f'n dumb stock design.

fwiw chain repair:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6X4QhQtKQE

vegas, are you 18?

Was going to start a thread but I'll ask here.

Is there an excellent ice and deep snow tire that is Not Directional?

My blizzak dm-v2 are directional and I haven't uses them since I went to a 5 tire and rims setup. Seems most top winter tires that excell on ice are directional. I'm planning several ski trips in Quebec this season and the last thing I want is to do is put a donut on if need be hours away from my destination or home. I like to be prepared. A directional tire would mean having to carry 2 extra tires or rely on the donut and it's get messy with a donut making sure to disconnect the AWD system and if it's the front tire thats gone flat I have to then take the rear tire and place it the front, That's too much imo. I have a 18 OB and there is no way to fit a full spare. That really sucks. Now I keep in the back tied downs and got a roof box for the lost cargo space.

I do have general grabber apt with the 3 peak mountain designation but they are not very good on ice. Well maybe they are good but not like the blizzaks. Was thinking of using them but even tire.com noted the extra stopping distance needed was significant. The blizzaks spoiled me for icey conditions and Quebec roads can get very icey.

So please any suggestion would be great. Also, I'm not concerned with noise or looks. Strictly functional travelling tires so I have one less thing to worry about. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    Was going to start a thread but I'll ask here.

Is there an excellent ice and deep snow tire that is Not Directional?

My blizzak dm-v2 are directional and I haven't uses them since I went to a 5 tire and rims setup. Seems most top winter tires that excell on ice are directional. I'm planning several ski trips in Quebec this season and the last thing I want is to do is put a donut on if need be hours away from my destination or home. I like to be prepared. A directional tire would mean having to carry 2 extra tires or rely on the donut and it's get messy with a donut making sure to disconnect the AWD system and if it's the front tire thats gone flat I have to then take the rear tire and place it the front, That's too much imo. I have a 18 OB and there is no way to fit a full spare. That really sucks. Now I keep in the back tied downs and got a roof box for the lost cargo space.

I do have general grabber apt with the 3 peak mountain designation but they are not very good on ice. Well maybe they are good but not like the blizzaks. Was thinking of using them but even tire.com noted the extra stopping distance needed was significant. The blizzaks spoiled me for icey conditions and Quebec roads can get very icey.

So please any suggestion would be great. Also, I'm not concerned with noise or looks. Strictly functional travelling tires so I have one less thing to worry about. Thanks.
    I think you’re going to find that all ‘top’ winter tires are directional. The directional tread is basically a requirement to move slush out of the way to prevent hydroplaning (is it still hydroplaning if some of it is frozen?).

If it were me, I’d just carry the single spare and put it on backwards if I needed to. You’ll loose a bit of performance - more in slush, less on hard pack snow or ice - and then correct it when you get the chance.

Yo Satch, look at the Arctic Claw winter TXI.

Omnidirectional and good in snow and ice from my first hand experience. Studdable and last a good while.

Look online at United tires...

You might be overthinking it. With one spare, you put that shit on and then call the nearest kal tire and they fix your shit for you pretty quickly. I've done 15+ seasons in interior BC, northern BC, all over alberta and sask with Nokians and never had any issues. Had a flat in the middle of saskatchewan and the nearest place was a 4 hour drive; the spare was fine for the whole drive on basically sheet ice.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I think you’re going to find that all ‘top’ winter tires are directional. The directional tread is basically a requirement to move slush out of the way to prevent hydroplaning (is it still hydroplaning if some of it is frozen?).

If it were me, I’d just carry the single spare and put it on backwards if I needed to. You’ll loose a bit of performance - more in slush, less on hard pack snow or ice - and then correct it when you get the chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Yo Satch, look at the Arctic Claw winter TXI.

Omnidirectional and good in snow and ice from my first hand experience. Studdable and last a good while.

Look online at United tires...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    You might be overthinking it. With one spare, you put that shit on and then call the nearest kal tire and they fix your shit for you pretty quickly. I've done 15+ seasons in interior BC, northern BC, all over alberta and sask with Nokians and never had any issues. Had a flat in the middle of saskatchewan and the nearest place was a 4 hour drive; the spare was fine for the whole drive on basically sheet ice.

I'll check out the Arctic Claw and I know i'm over thinking things but my anxiety will not let me be at peace given we might be four adults and loaded with gear. Seems Murphy's law is my biggest fear.

Thanks.

99.9+% of the time you’re going to be driving with all four tires in the correct orientation. Even if you get a flat, it’s a 50/50 chance you’ll still keep the correct orientation.

I’d gladly take the performance/safety increase of going with a VikingContact/Hakka/X-Ice vs. a budget tire for that 99.9+% of use. Just slow down 5 mph and give yourself a bit more braking distance if you happen to end up in a situation with a tire on backwards. It’s not like the car is going to suddenly be undriveable , even in the worst conditions.

99.9+% of the time you’re going to be driving with all four tires in the correct orientation. Even if you get a flat, it’s a 50/50 chance you’ll still keep the correct orientation.

I’d gladly take the performance/safety increase of going with a VikingContact/Hakka/X-Ice vs. a budget tire for that 99.9+% of use. Just slow down 5 mph and give yourself a bit more braking distance if you happen to end up in a situation with a tire on backwards. It’s not like the car is going to suddenly be undriveable , even in the worst conditions.

Knock on wood I've been a good bad weather driver but it's avoiding the bad ones that stresses me out. I tend to do the majority of the driving on most ski trips (yes I'm a control freak) and I'm the go to driver when it gets really bad. Grew up driving around on country roads and helping others that were stuck or ditched. Far too many time I've done some real sketchy driving on sub-par tires but that was when I was a young Jedi and much less traffic.

Now the Force isn't like it used to be. I just want an extra element of safety.

Thanks.

X2 for "you're over thinking it."

This past winter, we followed a long line of vehicles creeping over Teton Pass in a storm - this was a storm that closed every road to Jackson and stuck us in Idaho Falls for an unplanned night.

The car directly in front of us was a VW Golf, with one of its rear tires a temporary spare. It made it over the pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

x3 for "overthinking it" - fuckin' use The Force, Obi Wan!

x4

I'm going w mastercraft glacier msr this season on the van. Very similar to Cooper snowclaws.

X5 any proper snow tire mounted in any direction is gonna get you home just freaking fine. Then you can can the tire shop Monday and drive it to them for the repair at your convenience. Nobody outside of koh truggies are carrying multiple spares.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    X2 for "you're over thinking it."

This past winter, we followed a long line of vehicles creeping over Teton Pass in a storm - this was a storm that closed every road to Jackson and stuck us in Idaho Falls for an unplanned night.

The car directly in front of us was a VW Golf, with one of its rear tires a temporary spare. It made it over the pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    x3 for "overthinking it" - fuckin' use The Force, Obi Wan!

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    x4

I'm going w mastercraft glacier msr this season on the van. Very similar to Cooper snowclaws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    X5 any proper snow tire mounted in any direction is gonna get you home just freaking fine. Then you can can the tire shop Monday and drive it to them for the repair at your convenience. Nobody outside of koh truggies are carrying multiple spares.
    I rotate 5 AT tire because I went with with larger than spec.. My blizzaks are equal to OEM so the donut would work.

Thanks for all the advice and yes skaredshtles I'll tap into my inner Obi Wan.

So is the decision to get blizzaks or similar on OE wheels with outer tire diameter that matches the donut spare?

Can I join the over-thinking it party?

My wife's AWD Tiguan runs separate summer and winter wheels. It is about due for new all-seasons on the summer wheels and I want to switch to something more "softroad" like the Nokian Outpost APT or Falken Wildpeak A/T. No serious off-roading, but something more confidence inspiring on stuff like logging roads with pointy rocks on the way to a trailhead. I'd still use the snow tires in the winter--mostly just want the reinforced sidewalls and a slightly more dirt-friendly tread for the summer.

At the same time I might like to switch to a full size spare (currently have a donut that's full diameter but narrow). I believe I should be able to just buy an extra rim and fit it in the spare tire compartment as long as the hatch floor is in the "high" position.

Since those tires aren't directional, should I move to a 5-wheel rotation?

Am I going to run into problems with the AWD system if I have to use the spare in the winter and it is a new tire vs a worn winter tire? Presumably this can't be any worse than using the donut in the same situation, right? The donut will also be "brand new tire" diameter, but will be an all-around crappier tire.

Or should I do something stupid like just put a used tire on the spare rim that is about halfway through its normal tread life. Not do a 5-wheel rotation and just keep it in the boot. Odds are if/when the spare is needed, that tire's diameter will be relatively close to whatever tires are currently on the car and won't fuck with the AWD system too much until I can get it fixed.

Or just keep the donut? But last time I had to use a donut, I had to drive it ~125 miles home. I admit it was quite relaxing trolling through western montana at 55mph for a few hours, but that's well past the suggested max distance on a space-saver tire (and it is also really hard to buy a replacement spare tire...cost more than the brand new real tire).

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    So is the decision to get blizzaks or similar on OE wheels with outer tire diameter that matches the donut spare?
    Have blizzaks and they have 4 seasons on them and yes to your question. I'm not sure they have enough of a layer of tread for another. Maybe. Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    Can I join the over-thinking it party?

My wife's AWD Tiguan runs separate summer and winter wheels. It is about due for new all-seasons on the summer wheels and I want to switch to something more "softroad" like the Nokian Outpost APT or Falken Wildpeak A/T. No serious off-roading, but something more confidence inspiring on stuff like logging roads with pointy rocks on the way to a trailhead. I'd still use the snow tires in the winter--mostly just want the reinforced sidewalls and a slightly more dirt-friendly tread for the summer.

At the same time I might like to switch to a full size spare (currently have a donut that's full diameter but narrow). I believe I should be able to just buy an extra rim and fit it in the spare tire compartment as long as the hatch floor is in the "high" position.

Since those tires aren't directional, should I move to a 5-wheel rotation?

Am I going to run into problems with the AWD system if I have to use the spare in the winter and it is a new tire vs a worn winter tire? Presumably this can't be any worse than using the donut in the same situation, right? The donut will also be "brand new tire" diameter, but will be an all-around crappier tire.

Or should I do something stupid like just put a used tire on the spare rim that is about halfway through its normal tread life. Not do a 5-wheel rotation and just keep it in the boot. Odds are if/when the spare is needed, that tire's diameter will be relatively close to whatever tires are currently on the car and won't fuck with the AWD system too much until I can get it fixed.

Or just keep the donut? But last time I had to use a donut, I had to drive it ~125 miles home. I admit it was quite relaxing trolling through western montana at 55mph for a few hours, but that's well past the suggested max distance on a space-saver tire (and it is also really hard to buy a replacement spare tire...cost more than the brand new real tire).
    My wake up call was at Canadian Tire shop waiting to pay for a battery replacement when this kid in front of me got the news he had to replace all his tires because they were worn down far too much to replace a single tire. I never knew that AWD requires tread levels to be very close to one another. OK the difference has to be significant but nonetheless I started to look this up and bingo I went with 5 non-directional tires (grabber apt) rotation to avoid any issues of having to buy another complete set. Fast forward a few months later and a friend nearly got hit with a $20k repair on his AWD 6 series BMW because he put bigger and wider wheels at the rear of the car. He got away with a warranty repair by placing his OEM wheels back on before getting it towed in. Suffice to say I clearly over think things but that day at Canadian Tire sent me down the rabbit hole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230831-201040~2.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	468804

Have blizzaks and they have 4 seasons on them and yes to your question. I'm not sure they have enough of a layer of tread for another. Maybe. Not sure.

My wake up call was at Canadian Tire shop waiting to pay for a battery replacement when this kid in front of me got the news he had to replace all his tires because they were worn down far too much to replace a single tire. I never knew that AWD requires tread levels to be very close to one another. OK the difference has to be significant but nonetheless I started to look this up and bingo I went with 5 non-directional tires (grabber apt) rotation to avoid any issues of having to buy another complete set. Fast forward a few months later and a friend nearly got hit with a $20k repair on his AWD 6 series BMW because he put bigger and wider wheels at the rear of the car. He got away with a warranty repair by placing his OEM wheels back on before getting it towed in. Suffice to say I clearly over think things but that day at Canadian Tire sent me down the rabbit hole.

Name:	Screenshot_20230831-201040~2.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	468804
    A new tire can be shaved to match the tread depth of the existing tires if necessary. I know Tire Rack does this very well, since they shaved all the spec race tires for the series I worked in. I’ve also seen very poor shave jobs.

Name:	1846159C-8D22-4A9F-A240-E029D88B3E64.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	428.1 KB 
ID:	468805

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-gar...drive-vehicles

ever body runs studded snows up here, even stupid people, if you get a flat just change it soon as you can

if I facked up a Hak i go to kal tire, they would pro-rate &replcae both tires on that axle
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A new tire can be shaved to match the tread depth of the existing tires if necessary. I know Tire Rack does this very well, since they shaved all the spec race tires for the series I worked in. I’ve also seen very poor shave jobs.

Name:	1846159C-8D22-4A9F-A240-E029D88B3E64.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	428.1 KB 
ID:	468805

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-gar...drive-vehicles
    Didn't know this until I went down said rabbit hole. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ever body runs studded snows up here, even stupid people, if you get a flat just change it soon as you can

if I facked up a Hak i go to kal tire, they would pro-rate &replcae both tires on that axle
    If my stupid brain were actually stupid then I wouldn't over think. I don't like being like this. Trust me it sucks.

Didn't know this until I went down said rabbit hole. Thanks.

If my stupid brain were actually stupid then I wouldn't over think. I don't like being like this. Trust me it sucks.
    I’m probably not that much different than you. Maybe to a somewhat different degree, and different topics.

I’m probably not that much different than you. Maybe to a somewhat different degree, and different topics.
    I have always over packed and all over prepared but now that my wife is not well with Alzheimer's, that above all else is why I stress of about lost time in winter conditions. Summer is not bad. Little stress with that.
    She's originally from Montreal and I North of Toronto (king city). I can't be put into a situation where a 5 hour drive could become twice as long due having to find a shop. I need to change a flat then get to point A then go get it fixed or replaced afterwards. Also I plan on leaving her with her parents to do 2 days trips. It would be unfair to have her mom and dad take care for longer than that given that they are both not do well either. No other family members in Montreal are willing or able to give her the care she needs. She can't even go to toilet without help. This above all my neurotic thinking is the real reason I want to be prepared.
    I recently woke up from a 2 year funk of lamenting her situation and now I'm going to start living again and doing what I love most. Skiing. Not western skiing as I would like but from Montreal I have some good options. Jay Peak and Le Massif are tops on my list.

Sorry if I have annoyed some but I grew up with some 4x4s and that was never an issue or a second thought. Reading horror stories and a friend telling me his put me in obsessed zone.