Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jackson Hole Trip, need advice

So I am looking to head out west during this Winter, probably during the winter holidays (Christmas, New Years) but I need some advice on how to do this as cheap as possible. I would mainly want to head to Jackson, and while I understand airfare will be pricey I would like to find a cheap way to stay. If anyone has any ideas who is a lot more in the know than I am, feel free to pm me or post in this thread. Thanks guys! I would like to avoid paying big bucks staying at a resort style hotel if possible...

If it makes any difference, this will be my first time to Jackson Hole and my third time out west.

start walking now and bring a tent

cheap as shit

The hostel at the village

^^^^^^^^^^^^book now
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

cheap and J-hole shouldn't be used in the same sentence.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    cheap and J-hole shouldn't be used in the same sentence.
    In mid feb, 4 night stay 3 days of skiing for a group of 4 comes out to $332 a person, before transportation food/beer. That is equal to 3 lift tickets at vail, for better skiing and a better town to hang in. I wouldn't consider that an expensive ski trip.

Shit too bad this place doesn't have a SEARCH FUNCTION, JONG!

Quote Originally Posted by MJbumper1121 View Post
    In mid feb, 4 night stay 3 days of skiing for a group of 4 comes out to $332 a person, before transportation food/beer. That is equal to 3 lift tickets at vail, for better skiing and a better town to hang in. I wouldn't consider that an expensive ski trip.
    3 days of lift passes cost $285 in Jackson. Where are you gonna stay for 4 nights for $47 in Jackson? Not even the hostel is that cheap. The colRADo trolling is strong with this one. Stay at Vail then.

EDIT - Saw this "deal" but that is also is for a group of 4. This person is asking about a solo trip. You're comparing deals for 4 nights and standard day tickets. Bit disingenuous, but I think you already know that.

You also didn't mention the flight into Jackson which costs a hell of a lot more than a Colorado flight.
    Last edited by advres; 11-01-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MJbumper1121 View Post
    Just booked this deal, you are getting lodging for about $10/night plus 1 night free if you look at it like you are paying face for lift tickets.

Going with a group of 4 so we are flying in/out of SLC and renting a vehicle which is still cheaper than any flight to Jackson Hole I could find(might not be the case for you). We want to ski utah too anyways.

However, I'm a total JONG when it comes to Jackson...too bad that's my name and now I sound like and eeedioit

Don't go during the holiday.

TGR lets all posters over 1k crash at the TGR office or with Todd.....start posting
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Check flights in/out of Idaho Falls.

North of South, South of North, West of East
    Early season JH is dicey on coverage. It's been great the last few years, but if you look further back the Christmas/New Years time slot has seen minimal coverage and lots of the good stuff not open. You got a winter break in Feb. you could consider?

And Christmas/New Years anywhere is the worst possible time to go.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

Allegiant Air flys from vegas to Idaho falls for 38-58 bucks each way, even during christmas. 1 1/2 hour drive sure beats paying for flights going right into Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by nogophers View Post
    Check flights in/out of Idaho Falls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paniolo808 View Post
    Allegiant Air flys from vegas to Idaho falls for 38-58 bucks each way, even during christmas. 1 1/2 hour drive sure beats paying for flights going right into Jackson.
    Certainly a valid option. If you aren't renting a car though this isn't very convenient (and adds to cost anyway). You could take the bus but it's definitely not an hour and half if that is your plan (especially with bad weather), has limited capacity and doesn't run very often making wait times long or inconvenient. I have done both but if you're going out there, I would rather spend more scrilla for the convenience. YMMV

Work on you chick magnet skilz. Preferably, pick up on a chick on your last run of the day that'll take you home and take care of you. As a second option, pick one up in a bar before you spend too much on booze. Not that I've ever done such a thing...

Jackson hole central reservations does some pretty good deals...especially with a group, they often have buy three flights get one free or something. No need for a rental car once you are in town and there are shuttles from the airport, also alltrans runs a bus from slc to Jackson.

You didn't read my post correctly.

Let me rephrase. For the cost of 4 nights lodging and 3 days of skiing, you can ski jackson which has better skiing than vail; where you would be paying nearly the same amount for 3 days of skiing and NO lodging.

It is one best skiing/bang for your buck deals out there in my opinion.

Ps. People from CO actually fly to jackson? Renting an SUV and driving saves a TON of money and will guarantee you some good road trip stories.

Good luck on the trip!

3 days of lift passes cost $285 in Jackson. Where are you gonna stay for 4 nights for $47 in Jackson? Not even the hostel is that cheap. The colRADo trolling is strong with this one. Stay at Vail then.

EDIT - Saw this "deal" but that is also is for a group of 4. This person is asking about a solo trip. You're comparing deals for 4 nights and standard day tickets. Bit disingenuous, but I think you already know that.

You also didn't mention the flight into Jackson which costs a hell of a lot more than a Colorado flight.

we always just looked on their website for deals. last year i think we each payed 89 a night for tickets and lodging. wasnt an amazing deal, but was affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Work on you chick magnet skilz. Preferably, pick up on a chick on your last run of the day that'll take you home and take care of you. As a second option, pick one up in a bar before you spend too much on booze. Not that I've ever done such a thing...
    Unattached chick to unattached dude ratio at JH is like 1:10 gazillion...not a plan that I'd count on but I'm an ugly fuck.

Where are you gonna stay for 4 nights for $47 in Jackson?
    While that's a little low, there are inexpensive places. The village is expensive, town is cheap in the winter. The last few years the Sundance (RIP) was running $49 a night. I sure you can find that rate in other places. The town of jackson hotels run about 60% occupancy through the winter.

Plenty of good, cheap food options too.

Tickets are the only thing that sucks, but that's everywhere you go i think. You just gotta pay.

Quote Originally Posted by StuckInOhio91 View Post
    So I am looking to head out west during this Winter, probably during the winter holidays (Christmas, New Years) but I need some advice on how to do this as cheap as possible.
    Just pack as many people into a car as possible and drive to a place that has snow! Road trips in HS/college are the things you will remember for the rest of your life.

Jackson sucks. Tell ur friends

Motel 6 in Jackson will rent you a room for $120/week.
    Small room with 2 regular beds.

Late December is really,really, really crowded & crazy, if you can go in January, do it. You have more pow, less crowds, & more motel/hotel deals around town because it the slowest month of the winter, most places make their fixed costs. If you have kids, then you are either stuck to coming out in December, February, or March.

December can always be iffy, although this season has promise. I would say your best bet would be February, however January is the month when we don't wanna shoot the tourists.

Also if you want some deals I found this sweet 1/2 off deals in JH for motels, restaurants, retail shops, etc.: http://halfoffjh.altperks.com/Shop that are good from a year of purchase in most cases & have few blackouts.

During the winter you are better off flying into JH, because flying into SLC or Idaho Falls & renting a car can be sketch if a big system rolls in. If you are staying in Jackson, there is a town (START) bus that will take you anywhere in town for FREE, & to go to the village (JHMR) it cost $3 each way, you'll have to pay for parking once get to JHMR. Jackson is a small town you don't need a car if you a staying a few days in the winter. I think the Motel 6 is right near the Albertson's grocery store & the main bus stops.
    Last edited by Altaholic; 11-05-2011 at 11:08 AM.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.