Renewing Registration for Vehicles in Colorado

Just wondering why the cost is so high for newer vehicles. I lease a 2010 Jeep Wrangler. I understood when I paid it the high initial cost of registering the vehicle plus paying the taxes, which are not done at the dealership (as I understand it). In NJ for instance, the taxes and DMV stuff is all handled by the dealership, but I digress.

Anyway, going to renew it yesterday, I was a little surprised to find how high the renewal fees were.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1186648380755

This seems to lay out the fees and obviously the original value impacts the fees. However, as a leased car, I do not technically own the vehicle. Does that mean anything?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Colorado charges a property tax on your vehicle every year when you re-register. It was a big shock when I moved here from PA where the only real cost was the yearly inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Colorado charges a property tax on your vehicle every year when you re-register. It was a big shock when I moved here from PA where the only real cost was the yearly inspection.
    oh, yeah, big shock when I moved from PA as well. Went from $25 to close to $500. That hurt. It drops every year as the vehicle depreciates, but even my 9 year old 4runner is still over $100.

Yep, you're not renewing anything- you're paying property taxes. FYI- those taxes are deductible if you itemize your tax returns.

If it makes you feel better, they drop about $100/yr. My '08 Outback started around $450-500 the first year I had it, and it's around $200 now.

My 25 year old vehicle, with a stated value of $500, still costs over $100 to register every year.

I think my '00 Forester is ~$80 last year... anyone know whats up with the new emissions testing? I suppose that is another cost to add?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    My 25 year old vehicle, with a stated value of $500, still costs over $100 to register every year.
    I'm not exactly sure how, but weight of the vehicle plays a role too. Because my Ranger was ~$30 each year.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

As others have mentioned, welcome to a backwards state where idiots hate to pay taxes, yet complain when the money is made up somewhere else.

Fucking Tabor....what a goddamn regressive idea.
    You should have been here yesterday!

I agree with the GVW statement. I have a '97 Tahoe and it was about $175 last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

This is why I'm a Utah resident driving a PA-registered vehicle in California. Fuck hidden taxes.

In MA we have a yearly excise tax on top of the registration and inspection. It sucks.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

What I find annoying is that because of Tabor or something the Gov didn't have the votes to actually raise the property tax on cars so they "got around" the problem by calling them fees. This means you can't write them off your Fed taxes like you could if they were actually a state tax.

I moved to NC but re-registered my outback in CO this year 'cause it saved me about $100 plus they were going to make me get a NC license right away.

I passed emissions on my 14 year old outback last year before selling it. Kind of surprised it passed, but in hindsight all that car ever did was surprise me. Wish I still had it. Emissions test was $30 bucks. They just want to make sure you have a gas cap.

I'm facing this with Dockaroo's xterra right now.

Her car is a 2010 xterra. It's been registered in VA for ~ 1 year. She is now out here. Her VA inspection is due (and they are looking for a tax payment too). The registration is good for another year.

We can't get it inspected in VA to keep everything on the up and up, but I'm dreading paying the fees to register it in Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I'm facing this with Dockaroo's xterra right now.

Her car is a 2010 xterra. It's been registered in VA for ~ 1 year. She is now out here. Her VA inspection is due (and they are looking for a tax payment too). The registration is good for another year.

We can't get it inspected in VA to keep everything on the up and up, but I'm dreading paying the fees to register it in Colorado.
    Road trip!!
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Basing vehicle taxes on GVW instead of a dozen other metrics does not make sense. But, it's a trade-off for no emissions or inspections and no real requirements besides 4 wheels and some lights.

Thanks for the reminder. $199 for an '06 4runner....

For the record, my 2008 FJ cruiser was $675 the first year I had it, then dropped to around $550, and this past year was $385...either way, it is a rip off.

Perhaps if the fees went to fixing our shitty roads I would feel better about it.
    You should have been here yesterday!

I look at the cost as a trade off for not having a forced yearly inspection.

Yikes! People were bitching when the cost went up to $80 a few years ago in Alberta. Same $ for all vehicles, and no annual inspection or any emission testing.
    "Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." Elena