Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WY Mags - Request for a Little Info

Hey guys - I am planning a trip with the GF up to the Tetons and Yellowstone this summer (totally wide open on actual time to go). The primary draws are: (1) general touristy and wildlife photography in Yellowstone (she has never been), (2) maybe some whitewater rafting on the Snake (I know that isn't the best time of year and (3) fly fishing. Would love to climb, but I get enough of that in the Sierra and woudl rather just go back up with a climbing partner and actually get after it rather the devoting a day or two on this trip to cragging.

For the fly fishing part, I am a novice (get out in Nor Cal - e.g., McCloud, Trinity) a handful of times a year, and she has never. But I was mentioning this in passing as a cool way to see some great scenery (beyond mere backpacking) and do something together, and she is gung-ho

So I was thinking for the FF part of some sort of guided lodge for 3-4 days that is in the general Jackson/Yosemite area. I have gear, she has none - so it would need to have rental stuff to. I know there are ultra-lux places, etc... that cater to this, but that is not necessarily what we are looking for. Just a place that has good fishing (e.g., streams/creeks right next to the lodge), some character/history, good guides, smaller(ish) client list at one time, good eating and a good reputation. Not trying to break the bank here either, but I know this is a sliding scale.

Any recommendations/thoughts? Just a good place we can lock down, fish a ton, eat good and be in some amazing scenery.

Time of year suggestions would be good too.

We will likely bookend this trip with Jackson, Tetons and a couple of days in YNP. Figure a Friday night, through a week and the following Sunday.

Thanks.

wait, 'this' summer? Like, 2011? Or, 'next' summer?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Sorry - Summer 2012.

Might check Gros Ventre River Ranch. Or something up by the Henry's Fork? I'd shoot for early September. Or just hang in Jackson and day trip to all the fun, maybe tack on a couple nights in West Yellowstone to hit northern parts of the park and fish the waters around West.

just a couple thoughts...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Really depends on your lodging budget.

There are a ton of places around here. For the fishing part, I am happy to float/guide you down the Snake or another area river once or twice if you guys buy the beer. I have all the necessary gear etc... Happy to show you wade fishing too or at least point you in the right direction. Of course, your trip would have to jive with me being here and that's a little too far out for me to make any 100% promises. I don't leave much so you will likely be in luck if you wanna use me.

I'll chime in with recs for lodges another time...back to work now.

Thanks for both the input and offer. For the budget on the lodge route, somewhat of a tough question as I guess it depends on what is included. I haven't run it by the misses, but I assume she wants something that is kind of all-inclusive, so guides, food, lodging, etc.. So I think we are tempted by the lodging route, but not sure. Definitely 4-5 days of fishing (I would push for more if I had the time).

As I have been digging into this further, I am starting to think if we go for like a 4-5 day trip to a lodge, squeezing in both TNP and YNP might be tought. Just a lot of time in the car (what is it 3 hours from Jackson to SYNP)? I would assume there are a ton of lodges up by Western YNP (maybe on the Montana side)? I figure that would be logistically easier as we could rock out the lodge and then head directly into West YNP for a day trip or two.

Am I thinking about the logistics wrong here?

I think that where you're going wrong is assuming that you need to stay at a fly fishing specific lodge in order to have great fishing. It is pretty easy to obtain guiding services no matter where you stay. That way you have more lodging options (and locations) to choose from. When your wife wants to do something else one day you still get to go fishing. You can still do it all-inclusive because the concierge will book your fishing and other activities for you. Here's my suggestion:

Day 1- Arrive in Jackson, go to prearranged lodging anywhere in valley (Jackson, Teton Village, GTNP, your choice)
    Day 2- Guided fishing trip on the Snake
    Day 3- Guided half day wade fishing on private spring creek, half day touring GTNP
    Day 4-8 Leave Jackson, drive to Yellowstone and do touristy stuff. Stay at lodging either in the park (make reservations as soon as possible) or outside the Park in either West Yellowstone, Gardiner, Cook City, and/or Cody. Plan on moving around every day or other day so you can see and experience every region within Greater Yellowstone. Some of the best parts of the area are just outside the Park. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that you can fish on any of these days too, and you can even get a guide if you want.
    Day 9- Travel back to Jackson
    Day 10- Go home

I'll cover just a couple topics here...

Time: Late July-early August. Yes it will be busy with other tourons, but you'll have a chance at good weather, the rivers will (probably) be finished with runoff (fishable), and the vegetation will be bangin. The GF will go nuts over the baby bison/elk/deer etc. You will still be able to go on a number of white-water trips in the area at this time. Avoid late May/June as the rivers will be blown out. Spring and fall are quiet but the weather can be COLD.

Travel: By air into-out of Bozeman MT, Cody WY, Idaho Falls ID, Billings MT, or Jackson WY. Jackson is ideal, but the most expensive. United has direct flights from SFO to Bozeman. You will burn 15 hours each way if you drive, but if you are a road warrior go for it. I usually take two days to drive from Bozeman to the Bay Area; you can do it in one but it kicks my ass and I'm usually worthless for a day after. Either way you will want a vehicle to see the area properly.

Fishing: I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear but what if the GF decides on day 2 she hates fishing and being in a boat for 8 hours staring at a bobber with the guide screaming SET!!! in her ear? Just be careful about committing to 4 or 5 days locked into the same lodge where you may get stuck with a guide who sucks. There are so many awesome places to fish in the region and so many fantastic guides I would suggest a night or two at a couple lodges where you can experience the variety that the region has to offer. Or if you are in Jackson or Bozeman it is pretty damn easy to stay in a hotel, get a guide and all the gear you'll need for the day from the fly shop, and go out to a very nice dinner at the end of the day on your own terms.

I'll extend an invitation to come fish with me as well; I've got a boat and a little knowledge of SW Montana waters I'd be more than happy to share with you and the misses. If you are interested in a professional guide I know a few I could highly recommend as well.

edit damn wooly beat me to it! Ya know, on second thought, as a Northern Californian ex-patriate who moved here for a winter 13 years ago I'd suggest you just stay home

Save your money and DIY for the fishing. I'd like to point out a few things because lodging is available inside the parks and you can do the parks thing with the fishing right there at hand, inside the park, alongside the famous scenery and megafauna.

First, guided fly fishing lodges are all expensive. Maybe you can find a dude ranch with some good on property fishing that charges less than the norm but the typical price for one day of lodge based guided fishing is in the $450-550 range and that does not cover lodging and food. Add in lodging and its getting to be a hefty per diem. Some places will hit you up for rental gear as well. That money could buy her (or you) a lot of new gear. Having her own nice fitting waders and boots may do wonders. Frankly, if you are concerned about costs, stay away from fly fishing lodges. They mostly specialize in drift fishing the larger rivers.

Second, this area has many, many small streams which are easy pickins for 6-14 inch trout. Yellowstone is full of them. These are better places for learning to FF than drift fishing from a boat on pressured waters. The crowds are centered around major hatches on the big rivers. You can always book a float trip after she's practised a little. PS. Many guides do not like to be teachers and some are really bad at it. You might do a better job with a more relaxed pace on small water. In fact, don't even get her started on the idea that fly fishing is something comfy and effortless and best done from a boat or she will become the typical lodge guest.

Third, if you are a climber and skier, I assume you are something of a self starter. Teaching flyfishing is frustrating but its not as bad as teaching skiing. Doing it yourself, you will be free to roam around and combine your fishing with your sightseeing ON YOUR OWN SCHEDULE. Guided fishing at a lodge is a 9 to 5 thing and even if the fishing is just getting awesome, you are off the river and back for dinner by 6. A lodge based guide will want to use his boat, even if the fishing on the main river is slow and crowded. I say let your trip conform to the weather. Book float trips in advance and tough shit for you if that day turns out to be pouring rain or scorching hot and extra windy and a terrible day for the GF to be out there. Personally, I am a successful angler because i mostly fish unpressured waters when the trout are feeding and the conditions are decent.

Time of year? We are La Nina this winter so one should expect streams in YNP and GTNP to be high until mid to late July. Dry fly doesn't take off until the water clears but nymphing along the bank is very productive as soon as the water drops and slows enough to get a fly down. Biting bugs will be rather bad in YNP until mid August.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 11-02-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks for all the replies so far - very helpful. A couple of thoughts:

1. Time of Year - Early September would still definitely be dooable for us and I think preferable to avoid the crowds and have the cooler nights. But, we definitely want to go whitewater rafting one day on the Snake. Is it really running at that point still?

2. Fishing - I completely agree with the above posters re: type of fishing - namely, smaller water wade fishing. I actually am not the biggest fan of drift fishing (although I am sure drifting the Snake or something could change that). I have drifted the Upper and Lower Sac before (I realize this is not similar), and I just didn't enjoy it as much as wadding. So I think what we would be looking for is slower water wadding. I could care less about the size of the fish - just a good learning curve for me and her to get casting down better. For instance, I roll cast so much in the tight trees of the Sierra that I really don't have a good full cast at all.

I would also love to get more of a wilderness experience and away from the heavily fished areas with a little walking/hiking.

3. Guide v. FF Lodge - I was looking into it more, and yes it definitely seems like the FF lodges (e.g., Gros Venture Ranch, Firehole Ranch) are pretty expensive for the all inclusive packages. Also, the private guiding, while included, does seem like it is a 9-5 thing.

I agree that the flexbility of doing our own thing would be much more preferable and we could work with whomever to seek out the kind of water we are looking for. Doesn't have to be right on a lodge property, and by going with an un-affiliated guide, we have more flexibility in fishing times and locations.

Also, in my past experience with guided fishing, the guides were great and really didn't fish at all (twice they didn't even bring their own poles). It was focused on working on my technique, answering questions, really patient, etc..

So I think that is really what we are looking for - a guide we can book for a couple of days that will be down with some good fishing on smaller water away from the crowds with the emphasis on teaching some novices (and catching some fish ).

4. Lodge Itself - Also by moving away from the dedicated FF Lodge, I feel we can have more flexibility into picking where we are staying, times of eating, etc.. Although it may sound cheesy, I do feel we want to get a cabin type rental near the parks in two different spots rather than just staying in Jackson proper. Something that has a kitchen so we can do our own thing for breakfast, is on some land, great views, private, etc... Basically that "Lodge" type feel without the lodge. That beauty and surrounding area of the Tetons is what is really drawing us up North and I think Sarah will really enjoy it.

So having said that:

A. Thoughts on September v. Late July/August

B. Seems there are tons of operations that run the Snake other WW. Anyone that is very recommended?

C. Guides - guys, I really appreaciate the offers. Not sure if what I outline above really fits your cup of tea or not. You know anyone you can recommend that would just do some private guiding (I really want Sarah to pick this up, so someone that is patient and can work with us. She is great and really down to earth and loves being outside, so this should be a great time). See below as well - may have to set up different guides for around Jackson then later around Yellowstone

D. Locations - I am thinking about flying in/out of of Jackson. Then renting a place around Jackson for 1/2 the time, then a place up by Yellowstone 1/2 the time. Fishing in both locations would be great. Any areas I should really concentrate on to find some cabins? Any known suggestions? I am thinking something like:

Day 1- Arrive in Jackson, go to cabin (something around GTNP would be awesome with views of the Tetons)
    Day 2- Snake WW
    Day 3- Guided fishing around Jackson - hike in/ etc..
    Day 4 - 1/2 day touring around GTNP, then head up to cabin near Yellowstone
    Day 5- Guided fishing around Yellowstone
    Day 6-7 - Touristy stuff around Yellowstone (on this, it seems being near the Southern part is easier than the Western Part - is this correct?)
    Day 8 - Guided fishing around Yellowstone
    Day 9- Travel back to Jackson. Get drunk that night in town.
    Day 10- Go home

I am not wedded to the above and some other alternatives could be mountain bike touring one day, or even horseback riding (can you couple that with some FF?).

Thanks.

A. Early September will probably be fine, but you could potentially have a cold snap. Dry fly fishing should be in great shape. Terrestrials, PMDs, attractors, etc.

B. The whitewater on the Snake isn't that impressive imo, but that stretch can fish pretty well. You can do guided fishing trips down there too.

C. If you want to be guided and you want to wade fish a smaller stream, my suggestion is to fish Fish Creek with these guys: http://www.reeldealanglers.com/ Private water and beautiful fish.

D. Jenny Lake Cabins are pretty sweet in GTNP. In Yellowstone, you have to make your reservations very early. Lake Hotel, Old Faithful Inn, and Mammoth Hotel are all great locations within the park. You will want to spend some time in the Lamar Valley fishing the Lamar, Soda Butte Creek and Slough Creek. Cooke City is a good place to stay when you are in that area. North of the park, you could do a float fishing trip on the Yellowstone. Chico Hot Springs is a cool spot to stay in that area.

You'll have a great trip, Greater Yellowstone is a really cool place.

Not to be repetitive, but as Wooly and I noted, there is quality lodging available inside the parks. You mention a cabin "near the parks", why not stay in the park next to the must-see, must-do things and fish at your leisure. There's your on-property fishing. If its too windy, screw it, hike around some thermals, see some bison and come back and fish the sunset bite when the wind lays down. I think that is your win-win situation along with DIY fishing. We're talking big, historic lodges and more trout choked small streams than you can count. If you are happy with smaller trout, well, most of Yellowstone area creeks are loaded with small wild trout. Guides are for finding big trout; a six year old can catch dinks around here. YNP is catch and release, so there's abundant fish for anyone willing to hike in grizzly country. Go to the park websites to see your lodging options. It ain't cheap and you do need to make reservations months in advance but it is much cheaper than staying at the Firehole Ranch at $500-$800 a night. Staying in Jackson is an option only if you want to spend 3-5 hours of each day in the car. It takes about two hours to drive from Jackson up to the geyser basins in YNP. Stay in the park or West Yellowstone (budget option) to keep drive times short. There are guides who are licensed to work within the Park but I'd save that money for the outside of the park float trip. Buy one of the FFing books on YNP and you'll be set.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 11-04-2011 at 10:12 AM.

neckdeep - thanks man - I appreciate the input and hear your suggestions. Just a couple of thoughts:

1. As noted above, we actually want to split time between GTNP and YNP so staying up in the park the entire time doesn't really work for us. When up in YNP, I definitely would rather stay in the park as you suggest, rather than outside of it. As you can probably imagine, places like the Old Faithful Inn are already completely booked 100% through the end of September. However, there are other places (e.g,, Old Faithful Snowlodge, Roosevelt Cabins, etc...) that still have availability. So for the YNP portion, we are looking at what is available in the 10 day period we would like to go and going to look at some maps too. Long story short, I agree and want to stay in the park for that portion.

2. For GTNP, we discussed and would rather stay closer to the park itself and a little outside Jackson. I looked at Jenny Lake Cabins, etc.., but I just didn't like the vibe of 100 plus cabins right on top of each other. I figured, we are going to get that mass tourist vibe in YNP, so for the 1st half around GTNP, we wanted a little more solitude, etc..

So we found this place and I think it fits our bill perfectly: McReynolds Blacktail Cabins (http://www.mcreynoldsblacktailcabins.com/). It is in Moose which appears to be right next to GTNP, but not too far from Jackson should we head that way on a day or something. Lots of property and only 2 cabins. Some water on property as well. But the main draw would just be to have some privacy and great views of the Tetons each morning and night. In retrospect, I like this idea much better than the fishing lodge, etc.. as we can do our own thing for food, etc... Price is in the budget and these two cabins just look awesome. I already spoke with the owners and they are available for when we want to come.

3. On the fishing, I hear you on DIY. In fact, I think we may do so for a couple of the days. However, given that Sarah has never cast a fly rod and I am really a novice (like 10 days tops under my belt), I like the idea of a day or two of private guiding. That way, I can at least get a re-fresher on my belt, and I think she would benefit much more from someone that knows what they are doing rather than a punter like me

Also, now that I read up more about the local water, I guess I would be an idiot not to at least get one floating day in. I think we would do that after Sarah has a couple of days of smaller water wading to at least get the hang of it and make sure she enjoys it. Then, I would definitely be down for a float trip with a guide or anyone on this board. Seems like, in the Jackson area at least, Henry's Fork or the Snake are pretty sweet. Alternatively, we could do the float portion up while in YNP on the Yellowstone as Wooly suggested.

Damn - this is like 11 months away and I am already fired up. I better go get some climbing or skiing in to settle down

Seems like you are on your way to to success. Lots of good advice here. I absolutely agree with you on the guide thing While exploring streams or lakes yourself may turn out to be the most rewarding aspect of your trip, I would highly recommend a guide for a day, maybe 2. Yes, you DO want to float for a day. Being that you are novice/beginners I would suggest a float in GTNP. Scenic, fishing can be excellent and sometimes easy. You may also want to consider a wade trip with a guide. You can learn quite a bit. I'd like to say I will be available for sure but definitely don't count on me...work + fam could prevent me from getting on the water. I'm happy to refer you to a couple of excellent guides that can take you anywhere you might want to go. If I'm around I'll go out with you another day.

Bumpity bump. So this trip is all locked down and I would appreciate some help. We are going to be staying in the cabin noted above just outside GTNP for 5 days/5 nights, and then heading up to YNP for another 4 days/4 nights before heading back. I had some general questions as we start to figure out how to allot these days:

I. GTNP

- Fishing - As I mentioned above, we would like at least 2 days of guided fishing. Sarah has never cast a rod and I am not the person to try and teach her as I am definitely a novice (around 10 days under my belt, all spread out). I figured a float trip would be the easiest for her first time and then I would like a wading trip as well. Definitely thinking guides for both of these. Does anyone have any recommended guides around GTNP for private guiding for 2 days (not necessarily back to back)? We will be down for whatever as far as water - really whatever is fishing good then. Obviously wading will be smaller water.

- Rafting - Sarah really wants to get a day WW rafting (I would like it too). Any recommended outfitters? I saw some stuff where it was like a 1/2 day of WW, and then a 1/2 day scenic float on a different river. Seems like a good way to sit back and relax.

- Hiking/Seeing GTNP - We want to spend a couple of days checking out GTNP as it has been quite a long time for me, and first time for her. Any recommendations on cool stuff to do or check out? Really cool day hikes? Here in Yosemite, Eastside, etc... it is not exactly what I would call "bear country." I mean, I have run into blacks in the BC of the High Sierra/Sequoia, etc..., but I always have so much climbing pro hanging off me I am super loud trudging through x-country hikes. But definitely not knowledgable about moving through real bear country (although I am not an idiot and spend a lot of time outside, WFR, etc...). So keep that in mind.

II. YNP

- Fishing - We definitely want to get a float trip in. Any recommended guiding services? As far as water, really whatever is fishing good then. I would assume the place to go out of is West Yellowstone (although we are staying by Old Faithful).

- Park - Once again, been a long time for me, 1st time for Sarah. What is the best way to see the park aside from driving to all the zones? Any really good day hikes (same point about bears above). I at least plan on checking out Mt. Washburn as that is my namesake (no actual relation that I know of - although used that to my advantage in Talkeetna once.. ).

EDIT - Should have added for YNP, we are staying at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge for the 4 days, but will have a car.

when's the trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    I. GTNP

- Fishing - As I mentioned above, we would like at least 2 days of guided fishing. Sarah has never cast a rod and I am not the person to try and teach her as I am definitely a novice (around 10 days under my belt, all spread out). I figured a float trip would be the easiest for her first time and then I would like a wading trip as well.
    Have you thought about getting her a fly lesson in NorCal? I learned how to cast in my front lawn (taught by my dad) with a small rubber weight on the end of the line. He still swears by people learning in an open area rather than on the river. Just sayin', it might make the trip a hell of alot more fun. Other things to practice are roll casting and side casting, cuz you can't always do a full back cast on some of those smaller creeks.

Hiking/Seeing GTNP - We want to spend a couple of days checking out GTNP as it has been quite a long time for me, and first time for her. Any recommendations on cool stuff to do or check out? Really cool day hikes? Here in Yosemite, Eastside, etc... it is not exactly what I would call "bear country." I mean, I have run into blacks in the BC of the High Sierra/Sequoia, etc..., but I always have so much climbing pro hanging off me I am super loud trudging through x-country hikes. But definitely not knowledgable about moving through real bear country (although I am not an idiot and spend a lot of time outside, WFR, etc...). So keep that in mind.
    What kind of shape are you two in? Is a "day-hike" 5 miles? Or more like 15-20 miles? There are a number of great hikes originating from the south side of Jenny Lake (Amphitheater Lake is pretty sweet). Also, I stopped there last summer on my way home from school in NY and really liked riding my road bike up the Signal Mountain road (rode it every night I was there)—great views looking out over the other side of the plains. Honestly, I'd recommend driving up there just for the views.

As far as bears go: buy a can of bear spray (maybe one for each of you) and be sure to talk/make noise on the trail. Not too much else you can do, though others with more experience should definitely chime in here. Had a run-in with a grizzly while fishing the Firehole in YNP last summer—just forced myself to say calm and let him do his own thing and it worked out well for both of us. (Don't try to run, obviously.)

II. YNP

- Fishing - We definitely want to get a float trip in. Any recommended guiding services? As far as water, really whatever is fishing good then. I would assume the place to go out of is West Yellowstone (although we are staying by Old Faithful).
    A few good fly shops out of west yellowstone—Bud Lilly's would be my recommendation, but I've never used their guiding services. Personally, I didn't like fishing the Yellowstone R. as much as the Firehole, but I'm sure others will disagree with that. I'm sure a float trip down the Madison would be excellent.

- Park - Once again, been a long time for me, 1st time for Sarah. What is the best way to see the park aside from driving to all the zones? Any really good day hikes (same point about bears above). I at least plan on checking out Mt. Washburn as that is my namesake (no actual relation that I know of - although used that to my advantage in Talkeetna once.. ).
    I'm not really one for geysers or "touristy" things, but there's definitely plenty of time to be had walking around geysers (my personal favorites were the Fountain Paint Pot and one other one that I'm blanking on). The Firehole Canyon drive is certainly worth doing, particularly if the swimming hole is open (it was closed last time I was there cuz of grizzly activity). Also, I really like fishing the Slough Creek area (NE part of the park). It's a little less crowded and out there than the rest of the park (IMO). Just bring your rod, hike the 5ish miles in, and then fish along the creek while she sunbathes or whatever. There's another really awesome day hike (which was the last day of a backpacking trip for us) that I can't remember the name. I'll have to look it up and get back to you. Yellowstone Falls (upper vs. lower: can't remember which I liked better) is definitely worth the short hike, particularly if you're remotely into photography.

When's the trip?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    II. YNP

There is no floating allowed in YNP. You can take boats onto lakes but not moving water. You could drive out to do a float trip on the Yellowstone, Madison or Snake but none are close by to Old Faithful. Why stay in the park only to drive more and spend your day outside the park? You can do float trips on the Snake in GTNP and the Pacific Creek to Deadman's Bar section is a very scenic choice with good fishing (when the fish cooperate). So, perhaps it would be best to do the whitewater and fishing float trips before you go to YNP and plan a guided wading trip in the park.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-25-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Have you thought about getting her a fly lesson in NorCal? I learned how to cast in my front lawn (taught by my dad) with a small rubber weight on the end of the line. He still swears by people learning in an open area rather than on the river. Just sayin', it might make the trip a hell of alot more fun. Other things to practice are roll casting and side casting, cuz you can't always do a full back cast on some of those smaller creeks.
    Yes, I was thinking about this and we are planning on going fishing up by Shasta with a guide one day to get her some practice. Probably floating the Lower Sac, nymph fishing, etc.. We also have some High Sierra backpacking trips planned, so I will take my fly rod just to practice by some lakes w/out trees, etc... - lots of space.

What kind of shape are you two in? Is a "day-hike" 5 miles? Or more like 15-20 miles? There are a number of great hikes originating from the south side of Jenny Lake (Amphitheater Lake is pretty sweet). Also, I stopped there last summer on my way home from school in NY and really liked riding my road bike up the Signal Mountain road (rode it every night I was there)—great views looking out over the other side of the plains. Honestly, I'd recommend driving up there just for the views.
    I am in good shape (I did a Olympic distance tri yesterday and was 1st in my age group and #3 out of 100 competitors). She is in pretty good shape as well (e.g., can run 6+ miles on any given day no issue). So I was thinking 10-15 miles for a day hike is no prob at all. So really anything in that range would be cool. I was thinking of just going to Jenny Lake Ranger station on the days we want to hike and talking to the rangers.

As far as bears go: buy a can of bear spray (maybe one for each of you) and be sure to talk/make noise on the trail. Not too much else you can do, though others with more experience should definitely chime in here. Had a run-in with a grizzly while fishing the Firehole in YNP last summer—just forced myself to say calm and let him do his own thing and it worked out well for both of us. (Don't try to run, obviously.).
    Thanks - figured bear spray was a good call.

A few good fly shops out of west yellowstone—Bud Lilly's would be my recommendation, but I've never used their guiding services. Personally, I didn't like fishing the Yellowstone R. as much as the Firehole, but I'm sure others will disagree with that. I'm sure a float trip down the Madison would be excellent.

I'm not really one for geysers or "touristy" things, but there's definitely plenty of time to be had walking around geysers (my personal favorites were the Fountain Paint Pot and one other one that I'm blanking on). The Firehole Canyon drive is certainly worth doing, particularly if the swimming hole is open (it was closed last time I was there cuz of grizzly activity). Also, I really like fishing the Slough Creek area (NE part of the park). It's a little less crowded and out there than the rest of the park (IMO). Just bring your rod, hike the 5ish miles in, and then fish along the creek while she sunbathes or whatever. There's another really awesome day hike (which was the last day of a backpacking trip for us) that I can't remember the name. I'll have to look it up and get back to you. Yellowstone Falls (upper vs. lower: can't remember which I liked better) is definitely worth the short hike, particularly if you're remotely into photography.

When's the trip?
    Sorry, shoud have mentioned that. Trip is August 24th - Labor Day.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    There is no floating allowed in YNP. You can take boats onto lakes but not moving water. You could drive out to do a float trip on the Yellowstone, Madison or Snake but none are close by to Old Faithful. Why stay in the park only to drive more and spend your day outside the park? You can do float trips on the Snake in GTNP and the Pacific Creek to Deadman's Bar section is a very scenic choice with good fishing (when the fish cooperate). So, perhaps it would be best to do the whitewater and fishing float trips before you go to YNP and plan a guided wading trip in the park.
    Honestly, I had only thought about a float when up in YNP as I heard the floating around West Yellowstone was good. But in looking at a map, I now get your point. So it seems the better call is to get 2 floats in when we are down in the Jackson area, and then get a wadding trip in with a guide when in actual YNP proper.

So I guess my guiding recs have changed - floating guide recs in/around Jackson, and wading guide that is elligible to guide in the park.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    when's the trip?
    August 24th - Labor Day.

End of August...hopefully fire danger is back down by then. End of July could be risky that way, but who knows. Water will be warm, i'd head for Slough or Pebble Ck in Yell, or between WestY and Big Sky. But take Schwerty or ND's rec on that...

My all time favorite teton hike is up Paintbrush, over the divide, down Cascade past Lake Solitude. It's a burly 22 miles. Good shorter option is up to Lake Sol from Jenny Lake, or go up the S.Fork of Cascade for much lighter crowds. In Yell, Washburn is cool, great central point of view, see the whole park, but has a road going up it [i was the fire lookout there in '97, called in one fire all summer, which was a hotspring...doh!]. Avalanche Peak is a great full day hike. Maybe check with OARS about a half or full day sea kayak at Grant/West Thumb Geyser Basin. The 31st is a full [and blue] moon. If the YNP is the second half, i'd be out be Grand Geyser with some wine and whatever else is handy.

If you get weather in GTNP, hit the wildlife art museum, the Rockefeller Preserve visitor center, or head over to Victor to do a brewpub tour. Your cabin is close to Dornan's which has an awesome wine cellar, killer deck, and rents bikes.

Just an FYI as I'm assuming you're flying, you can't put bear spray in checked luggage...TSA will generally flag it. Buy it in WY so you only have to buy it once and save yourself $60. Seems logical but figured i'd throw that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    End of August...hopefully fire danger is back down by then. End of July could be risky that way, but who knows. Water will be warm.
    Its been what, six or seven years, since the bad times? I got comfortable with mild summers, that's for sure. No rain for 16 days and counting and none in the forecast either....Tye is right, the woods are getting crispy. Past fires in the parks have led to road/entrance closures. As for water, the Snake below Jackson Lake should be good. The Pacific Creek section is tailwater and the lake is full. I forgot to mention that section is probably very close to the cabin just outside GTNP.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-26-2012 at 09:39 AM.

I'm sure you two will have a blast! I would add that you should mentally prepare yourself for "real" bear country - making noise on the trail means being able to assess when you're more vulnerable (trees, small hills, bends in the trail, near rivers...) and yelling "hey bear" LOUD more or less constantly. Your goal is zero surprises for any bears. Wind, trees, etc. can make this a challenge. Can detract from an idyllic wilderness hiking experience, but nothing like running into a startled grizzly. Both of you need spray as well - kind of like avalanche beacons, your life may be in your partner's hands. Just take it seriously if you really want to get out there, I think you'll know it when you feel it. It only takes a minute or too of distraction to roll up on a bad situation for everyone, and that's an experience you don't want to have!