Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    This year will be 33 years. Hope to have many more.

23 years, started at Montage Mountain in Scranton PA circa 1988.

Remember wearing a fluorescent green, orange, and purple Powderhorn jacket in those days. Ironically those crazy colors have returned as the schiz nit style of today. Go figure.
    Best Regards,

UMKP

"Peter, You've been missing a lot of work lately".
    "I wouldn't exactly say I've been missing it, Bob".

Quote Originally Posted by JoshTheSkier View Post
    22 years, this December. Started at Pico Mountain ~1989-90.
    Same, but I'm not sure about what month as I was just about 2. Last season was the first time that I've had less turns than that starting season.

Got late start @ age 25 due to geography. First snow ever seen in life and first turns both at Stowe on a snowboard in 2000. Got a set of skis last year to follow my kids around. I am hooked! Ski most days while my game gets better and snowboard pow and split for touring... Will never give up the snowboard entirely but could see it being 95% ski 5% SB in a couple seasons....
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Since i was 4... so... 13 years!
    Drop Knees not Bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by tahoermk View Post
    Started snowboarding in 1983 on Donner Summit.. Big thanks to Norm Saylor for letting us ride the lifts before anyone. That makes it about 27 years. Fuck no wonder I hurt in the morning! Been free heelin for 9 years...only fix heeled when I was a little kid. Sliding on snow has enriched my life and I can't wait to get my daughter on the hill in a few years.
    Ha! Started at skiing at Donner Summit in 1983 as well so 27-28 years too. Snowboarded first time at Northstar in 1992. Do both pretty regularly now.

Still prone to amazing high speed crashes. Last one was at Bear Mountain in SoCal after taking my 2 1/2 yr old skiing. Afternoon I was getting some high speed runs in and the last one was a yard sale. Maching empty run to bottom, flat light in the shadows, bump to wrong edge, lost one ski, ditched the other in high speed slide, rolled over to knees to bring myself to stop. Got up. Checked to see that everything was still functional. Let out a howl of contentment and hiked up for my gear. Least I have figured out how to fall after all these years.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Shit, imma only count 4 years.

First time on skis was at Brighton when I was about 12, but then was stuck either in Illinois or the southeast until 2008, when I moved to SLC. Since then have managed about 40 days per season.

I still suck epic donkey balls but thoroughly enjoy jonging away!
    Quote Originally Posted by freezorburn View Post
    Listen Pin head "furious masturbation" is not the answer for everything! More of a back up plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You gotta admit, with the right jeans, everybody looks pretty fuckable.

26 years, started skiing at Mammoth Mountain in 1985. Still remember the old lift you had to sidestep up the ramp.

started in late december when i was 3, so just about 17 years to the day. y'all are old.

This season marks 40 years - The first 20 were all in Arizona, done a bit of travellin' around since then, but still a lot of days in state. Mt Lemmon represent!
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

ski? y'all know how to ski?

shit, I thought this was just about spewing on huge Yellow Kid Weil spree.

42years under the belt, and 8 days into my 43rd season. Started at Trollhaugen, near Dresser, WI--rubber lace boots, w/ Northland wood skis and cable bindings. Spent our nights in an Airstream Trailer parked in the parking lot....haven't missed a season since the opening act.

46 seasons learned at two at Skyline now known as Pebble Creek. Nowadays I get 80 days a season, skied 45 different ski areas to date.

First put skis to snow when I was 5 at a little chalet in the hills of Switzerland.....that was hecka long time ago, but seems like yesterday too.

Put it this way....I had these little wooden kid skis with riveted-on metal edges and there were lots of cubcoes and spademans and sundry cable bindings around. I think salomon was just beginning to come out with their fancy shit that changed binding tech forever and so were marker and tyrolia. Hansen and Scott boots came next. LOL.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    20 years. Bear Valley in Norcal was where I cut my teeth. First day it was dumping, I fell down all day, got stuck in the middle of a blue run for 30 minutes trying to get back into my snow covered binding, ended up totally cold and wet...and I have been hooked ever since.
    Ditto!

This marks my 30th year skiing. I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley town of Lodi, Ca. We had a super cool local guy who ran a Saturday morning Ski Bus to Bear Valley for close to 30 years. His name is Don Dobler (his shop was called Dobler Ski Cottage) and at age 70 he still skis nearly every weekend at Kirkwood. I hooked up with Don 2 years ago for a day and that dude still charges. I met some of my best friends through that ski program and all of my best friends are rippers. I have skied with one buddy probably 5 times a year for the last 30 years, and another buddy a few times a month at Squaw.

I just said a prayer to ULLR so hopefully the snow will start to fly here in CA...Peace

25 years

(2nd edit, i apparently suck at math)

skied for 10y, blew out a knee, snowboarded for 8y, picked up tele in 2006 and now starting my 5th season on tele gear.

nowadays i get 80+days of skiing and ~5 snowboarding days per season and learn more every day i get out.

41 years

It is still the best activity in my life. I'm now breaking in my third child and have given up alot to keep it central in our existance.

I owe my parents so much for having introduced me to this.

Started at age 2.5 at Pajarito Mountain on the rope tow and T bar

I started skiing in October.

Oh I thought you meant this year.

I am super jealous of most of you guys.

I didn't even start skiing until I was about 21, and even then I just slid around hammered night skiing in the berkshires with friends for a year or two before it really bit and took over my whole life. I'm a decent skier but sometimes imagine how much better I'd be if I had started as a kid. I'm 28 now so that means I've been skiing about 7 years, and serious about it for maybe 5 seasons?
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

23 years, school trip to Blue Mtn, PA

This will be season 26 for me. Started in little more than a ditch in small town Ontario surrounded by fluorescent sun-ice garb.

Started when I was 2 or 3 years old, I could barely walk and my dad would have me between is legs holding my by the armpits. To this day I haven't seen a smaller ski setup than the one sitting in our garage. My 5 month old niece only has 2 years till her opening day. That gives me 23 seasons, with home mountains split between Switzerland, California and the great state of Colorado.

Like Alpinord, I started on a pair of Sears/Lund skis; they were blue and didn't have metal edges. Cable bindings and leather lace-up boots were all the rage. This will be year 48 and my first day on skis was at Snow Park, now better known as Deer Valley.

Of the 30 years spent on this earth ive been on skis for 24 of them. Started at Mt. Snow / Haystack in soVT then made my way north and west. Even hopped some water and got to experience a taste of the Alps. Been to Ut a few times, Tahoe a few times, did the Vail / Breck area. I can solely say this place influenced my latest purchase on Using a full set up of AT / side country. Looking forward to branching out now.