Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Pretty sure these were fondled in Jennewein in St. Anton. Both the main guy there and I agreed its likely a bit soft for our tastes, but I don't do any flippy spiny shit either and prefer a solid, damp ski. The shape looks nice though.
    He who has the most fun wins!

I read that new Atomic The Millenium will be the women version of Automatic.. do you know if the dimension and shape will be the same ?

I skied my 186's mounted on the team line Monday. Snow conditions where 4 inches of new with a lot of wind blown powder. My every day ski has been a 08 190 Volkl Gotama and my powder ski is a 10 189 K2 Hellbent. My first impression was that this is a great ski. They skied the powder as well as my Hellbents and carved as well as the Gotama's on the groomers. I was a little worried that the 186's would not be stable at speed but I really did not find a speed limit on them at all. The 186's where great in the trees and plowed through the chopped up powder with ease. I did find my self in the backseat a few times but that has more to do with my shitty skiing then the ski I believe. As long as I stayed centered I loved them. I am really looking forward to spending some more time on these but my first impression is that I probably won't ski the other two skis much at all. Sorry I am not better at reviews.

Skied the 186s at the OR on-snow demo and was super impressed. The conditions were not that great but sometimes I like skiing big skis in crappy conditions to test because you can really get a feel for the construction and life of the ski. I normally ski something around 180 so these were a bit big for me (5'8" 150), however they didn't feel overbearing.

They felt pretty similar to the new Rocker 2 115s but maybe a bit stiffer/burlier and more hard charging. Definitely could see buying these next season for my in bounds pow ski - they made me really wish there was some deep snow and stuff to huck off of.

Quote Originally Posted by chompfacekillah View Post
    The Automatic has a titanium backbone..
    Here's a pic from Nadia Simer's site where you can see the backbone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	atomicautomatic.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	411.5 KB 
ID:	108793
    140.5-117-129.5 seems perfect..

The 2013 catalog lists the Blog as 'New'. The dimensions are the same as this years. Anybody know what the updates are?

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Skier View Post
    The 2013 catalog lists the Blog as 'New'. The dimensions are the same as this years. Anybody know what the updates are?
    Its the use of carbon and ti in places it never before i think. Sorta like the ski above the Automatic. Pop,rebound pluss more edge hold they say? There trying to make skis ski more like ON3P it seems. They all ready are the bench mark from what Ive seen and heard.
    FACTION

Quote Originally Posted by Treewellchamp View Post
    Sage,
    I had Bent Chetlers last year and they were a little to soft for me so this year i saved up and got a pair of 192 atlas's and i totally love them, they charge hard but i have noticed a lack of playfullness... I want to find a ski that is stiff enough underfoot that it will charge hard but also be playful so i can screw around on the pillows and The Automatic sounds like a damn near perfect ski for just that.. Im 6'0" 155 and im not sure if if should go for 193's or 186's.. and i was also wondering how they automatics compare in weight to the atlas's? By the way.. im a huge fan man, even got a poster of you on my wall! haha
    -Ben
    Ben,
    Seems like the Automatic would be right up your ally, its definitely lighter than the atlas, because of less volume. and for a guy your size go with the 193, Im 150+ 5'10" and I am really liking the 93's. As before I mounted my 93s on the "center" line wich is sidecut center not ski center and have been loving the way they ski, have done some flips and tricks with em and straighlined through crud and they are stable and nimble. hope this helps and have a good season.
    -s
    sagecattabriga-alosa.com http://vimeo.com/user342667

just put this video up on vimeo and thoght I would share it here.. its a little teaser with the new Automatic.

still ducked out on how to embed ... anyone who can help please do...
    sagecattabriga-alosa.com http://vimeo.com/user342667

My fingers are crossed. My Sage T-Shirt just arrived. I got #1 out of 100. I met Sage at Crystal Mountain last year during an after party. He's a really cool guy, very down to earth. I skied the Atlas in 193cm for the last 3 years. I sold them this year to find something more "resort friendly". The 126mm under foot was a lot to deal with most afternoons. I miss the Atlas, I haven't found anything yet that I love. I often looked at other Atomic skis and always wondered, why don't they have a step down from the Atlas(in width), but up from the Bent (in stiffness). I love the Automatic description, I can't wait to try them, or win them... Atomic is making huge strides IMO with the Tracker 130 boot, Tracker touring bindings, and now a killer resort pow ski for bigger guys. I'm 6'3" 220.

Thanks for the info Sage, keep charging!

If anyone ends up with a pair they want to sell (either size) I will be a buyer.

I may have skimmed over this part, but are you guys referring to the 183 or the 192 Bent Chetler when comparing its flex to the Automatic? I was under the impression that the 192 was stiffer. Maybe not..?

Quote Originally Posted by mr walker View Post
    I may have skimmed over this part, but are you guys referring to the 183 or the 192 Bent Chetler when comparing its flex to the Automatic? I was under the impression that the 192 was stiffer. Maybe not..?
    I'm also wondering about flexes of the different lengths. I hand-flexed the 186 Automatic at ISPO and was kind of disappointed how soft it felt (a little softer than the Bentchetler beside it). Any info if the 193 will be stiffer? The rocker profile looks exactly what I want and I maybe have a line on Atomic.

Finally a stiffer ski without massive tail rocker, now if it's sub 10 lbs, ding ding, winner winner chicken dinner
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Skied the 193 today. Not exactly sure on the mounting point, but it appeared to be around the "team" line. My everyday ski for the past 3 years has been a 190 Bibby, my weight 85kg and height 187. Was a fun, poppy, playful ski. Turns and slarves easily, trees, bumps, crud, groomers, pow etc. The ski felt really light, even with demo bindings, for sure lighter than my bibbys and dukes. The flex felt like it progressively got stiffer from tip to tail, with a solid tail and tips that were too soft for my liking. Definetly not as stiff a ski as the Bibby, which was/is the only reference point I had today. It is a fun ski that is super easy to ski in all conditions. I'm sure that lots will love this ski. Maybe hopefully the tips on the production version will be stiffer. Oh and Sage you are a badass skier, much respect.

Any other direct comparisons to the Bibby? Playfulness, tight manoeuvrability and wide-open stability in particular? 190 Bibby is my main alternative to the Automatic, I'm a little lighter but taller than you.

@bambam automatic has a distinctly different feel. Not as planky (if that is a word). Skiing fast in open chop and bumps the bibby was better IMHO. Both accomplish the same thing, just depends what type of ski you like. In tight trees they are about the same. Maybe the softer tip makes skiing super tight trees a little less work (my skis are mounted 7,5 from center as well). Not sure if this is correct but the titanium in the auto gives it a more springy feel, not that it isn't also damp, but it just felt too soft in the shovel /tip. Hope that helps.

Edit: To add stability is also very similar, tough to say if one is truly different or better, for me the Bibby regardless of speed or terrain.

Obviously another typo on the dimensions (really, Atomic?), but here is the sticker from the display Automatic at ISPO:

Quick two day review of the 12/13 Automatic:

Me: 29, used to race, tele, compete in FWT, now desk jockey.
    180 lbs no gear, 6'3"
    I generally mount forward of team. I hate the feeling of tails giving out and I have a low-compact style that requires a ski that pivots well.
    Setups I have liked: 183 Bentchetler, 192 Thug, 192 Coax, 180ish Head M103 (tele), 180 Rossi Axiom(tele), 186 Rossi S6, 190 K2 Jerrylauncher (stoned corn-farming)

setup: 193 Automatic waxed but didn't touch the edges, mounted with FFG16s 1cm back from center mark (not cord center), skied with 12/13 130 flex Atomic Tracker 28.5 (holy crap these things are now stiff).

Day one: 3 F and been a while since it has snowed here. Half a run on hardpack and ducked into some tree lines that Euros don't like to ski. Found some decent snow, pillows on the steeper stuff and then chewed, windswept bumps on the exit lines. Found one 25ish ft cliff with a nice flat landing but still soft. Not ready to send anything bigger as it is first year on a new ACL.

Day two: more of the same and a little cold and a little firmer. Found some more sustained pow on a ridge of pillows that miraculously still hadn't been touched (this is Zauchensee Austria, so it has been awhile since the last good snow). Little more confidence adds a little more speed adds a little more fun with any pow ski this size. Started to go mach loony on some windswept dust on crust bowls.

Thoughts: I generally like every new ski I try and always work to adapt my skiing to suit the skis strengths. I have skied Sally El Dictator, Rocker2s, Patrons, Bodacious, and even some smaller garage brands (wow!). The 193 Automatic is big and confidence inspiring (which can be a dangerous thing). It fucking rails on hardpack. I have never, ever skied on anything this big that you can just throw to the side and lock up both edges and Ligety the shit outta some GS turns. Even mounted as far forward as I have mine, I could get on top of the shovel and lay some trenches. Where my bendy poles at? Even in the variable dust-on-crust open bowls these things could go fast, and keep things quiet, smooth and calm (I hate the word damp). Tip fapping was nowhere to be found.

But really, hardpack didn't inspire the creation of the Automatic. I found some runnely sections of glued-on snow to a cliff band and tried to test the sluff-surfing predictability of these skis. They definitely track well and have the ability to shut things down without worry of getting high-sided. I don't know if it is the v-shape or the sick graphic or the numbers that are printed wrong, but I was in stability, predictable hi-honey-I'm-home-what's-for-dinner heaven. The aforementioned cliff with the flat landing didn't really test the back-slap-ability of these boards so nothing to add. They were rock solid here and on the pillow shit I found and on the hardpack and windswept pushing SG speeds.

These things track straight, stay quiet at speeds and somehow manage to still be fun and agile in the trees and while billy-goating.

Can't image wanting to ski anything else for the remainder of the season and I will definitely be putting my 103mm 11.12 season Utah skis away (sorry Utards). If anything new comes to light I will report back. But you might not care because DISCLAIMER: I now work for Atomic. Sorry not impartial, but I love skiing just the same.
    Last edited by westoxified; 02-06-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    bumps are for poor people

I really like the Automatic specs and reviews, but still have some doubts on lenght..... Are really different the ways that they ski??

I'm 5'10" 180lbs, now skiing in a 192cm no-rockered skis (101mm waist) but looking for a pow ski that can ski tree line agile, not only big mountain GS turns. Maybe 193 will be too big for those tree skiing storm days??? Or I'll found 186 too short in terms of stability??

Quote Originally Posted by AlTom View Post
    I really like the Automatic specs and reviews, but still have some doubts on lenght..... Are really different the ways that they ski??

I'm 5'10" 180lbs, now skiing in a 192cm no-rockered skis (101mm waist) but looking for a pow ski that can ski tree line agile, not only big mountain GS turns. Maybe 193 will be too big for those tree skiing storm days??? Or I'll found 186 too short in terms of stability??
    If you're skiing a fully cambered 192 traditionally shaped ski you have no frame of reference for how well a 5 point ski with rocker will handle in tree's. I'll give you a clue...light years ahead of what you are on now.
    Training for Alpental

AlTom I ended up with the 186's and was a little worried about their stability at speed. I am a bigger guy then you and thought they handled the speed with out any problem at all and have been great in the trees and the narrow shutes that we get to ski up here.They handle the run out as well as the 190 Gotamas I used to ski. I only have 3 days on them so far but I do not see myself on any other ski for quite some time.

OK, ok, I think that finally I'll end up with the 186cm. I'm thinking to mount it with the new trackers bindings??? What do you think about that??

More reviews??? Someone more ski it??

i have a pair of 186s to ski on for a week, 193s not available.

I'm 190lbs, 5'11", ski close to a 100 days in and around Fernie, BC.
    My current quiver: 2012 Prior Overlord 188 (similar shape to automatic and super stiff), 2011 Atomic Chetler 192 ( sweet pow skis, not stiff, i dont like em too much on hardpack)

First impressions of Automatics not good, they are very soft, to me it seems like they are only slightly stiffer than the Pollards and softer than chets...

We dont have much pow here these days but i figure if these skis can rock the hard snow and ski pow like a chetler then game on right? When you have em on and you look at them, it's like you are on your chetlers.
    They actually rail on the groomers and remain pretty stable at mach loonie. They are surpringly good at high speeds on hard snow and hold an edge very well. Not as well as AK JJs though. I am digging the narrower waist and v shape of them over the wide tail and width of the AKs. They are playful and nimble and have good amounts of pop.

The shape of this ski is bang on for an everyday ski out west and let's keep our fingers crossed that the production version 193s will be stiffer...

I skied these again today, right after a run on the Rocker2 115. I like the Auto better. The Salomon got a little "hooky" in spots. I'm 5'6" 160lb, so I'm more the weight class of Sage & Dana. You bigger guys need to be on the 193. I really like this Automatic. Fun ski.
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence