Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    [QUOTE=slowk;3505900]
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    ...I am confused how a ski that fails to break past 190cm can ever be considered to have a 'better size range...

I am confused why Armada would name a ski after a diarrhea causing virus. It's up there with people naming their daughters Melena.
    Or even just a really f-ing boring, rich town in Connecticut. Wait, that's actually brilliant marketing!
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Hey there, Sage here, and wanted to chime in, and give some more direct beta here.

First off, REALLY stoked on the ski, it is, as was said in the beginning of the thread, a ski that bridges the gap between the Bentchetler, and the Atlas. Dana and I wanted to have a ski that was a bit more directional, and stiffer than the Bentchetler, but one that still remained playfull.

as far as dimensions, shapes and numbers this is what matters to me. I am a feel guy, i dont care what the numbers or math turns out to be, I care how it feels.
    the most important and significant facts are this:

-that it comes in three sizes for a variety of peoples body types- Sizes 179, 186, 193 ( I ride the 186 @ 5'10" 150 lbs)

-Its waist width. 117 which provides a nice balance of flotation and performance.

-How it feels: The Automatic is fast, it holds a edge great, carves big fluid turns amazingly in rough snow, and on groomers. It has enough stiffness to blast through chop, but still allows buttery turns, and shmeering control when broken loose. Its got pop. really nice spring and because of the stiffer tail, and V-shape it stomps so clean. It can hold tough when pinning it out of a run, but because of the minimal rocker in the tail its still possible to wheelie if your deep in the back seat.

bottom line, this ski is exactly what I have been looking for for a long time.
    -sage

Quote Originally Posted by ectreeskier11 View Post
    damn i was getting way stoked on these until that 19m radius. i think there' a longer one no? maybe it will be closer to 25m? i have yet to ski a sub ~25m radius ski that i have liked. gonna be paying attention to what people are saying about these and the squad 7s from rossi though. they both sound perfect for the large amount of fast forward skiing and minimal jibbing i do.
    Hello ectreeskier11
    as above, I have never payed too much attention to the numbers but as for betta on this ski, dont get too hung up on the radius, if the number is accurate, it is created on a calculator, not from measuring a actual turn in real life. try one out if you get a chance ! and have a great winter!-s
    sagecattabriga-alosa.com http://vimeo.com/user342667

Anyone knows what he means by 'V-shape' making it stomp cleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Anyone knows what he means by 'V-shape' making it stomp cleaner?
    the ski over all is more of a v ( wider tip with more of a pin to the tail) rather than a twin like the bentchetler. so it is made for skiing and landing forward more-so than being able to land forward and backward evenly like with the Bentchetler.

Sage, I'd be remiss to not take this opportunity to say...

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE A PRO.... I'M SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU!!!

;-)

The pro call-out in combination with your sweet avatar really takes that one to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop~Ghost View Post
    Sage, I'd be remiss to not take this opportunity to say...

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE A PRO.... I'M SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU!!!

;-)

Sage I have a pair of 193's on the way and am curious where you have them mounted. 6' 225lbs and I do not ski switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Skier View Post
    Sage I have a pair of 193's on the way and am curious where you have them mounted. 6' 225lbs and I do not ski switch.
    I have not skied on the 193's yet, but would suggest mounting on the "team" line, the Team line is the center of sidecut so you will be right on the money. I have the 186's, do a little backward skiing, and have mine mounted two cm's in front of the team line.

hope you enjoy!

-s

^^Interesting collaboartion between you and Dana. I find it intriguing that you are a 'feel' guy and that you guys were still able to agree on a a finalized design. Do you guys have similiar styles or was it more of a melding of different ideas? In the process of designing this ski did you guys influence each other's way of skiing much?

Looks like a rad ski.
    First 360 mute grab --> Andrew Sheppard --> Snowdrifters 1996

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowSKI View Post
    ^^Interesting collaboartion between you and Dana. I find it intriguing that you are a 'feel' guy and that you guys were still able to agree on a a finalized design. Do you guys have similiar styles or was it more of a melding of different ideas? In the process of designing this ski did you guys influence each other's way of skiing much?

Looks like a rad ski.
    Hey Dude,

Dana and I have some different style specifics but generally the way we ski is fairly similar and what we are looking for from a performance standpoint is also similar.

we both like to go fast, ski pow, do some trickery, (spinny flippy stuff) ski lines, do a little skiing in reverse, but mostly forward.

so it was easy for us to collaborate, and we both were pleased with the results!
    -s

Quote Originally Posted by chompfacekillah View Post
    Hey Dude,

Dana and I have some different style specifics but generally the way we ski is fairly similar and what we are looking for from a performance standpoint is also similar.

we both like to go fast, ski pow, do some trickery, (spinny flippy stuff) ski lines, do a little skiing in reverse, but mostly forward.

so it was easy for us to collaborate, and we both were pleased with the results!
    -s
    Sage, thanks for chiming in. I think any of us who are looking at this ski appreaciate hearing it from the horse's mouth.

So good to have imput from sage.
    I'm using the blog with skins. It's pretty light, but also very soft. Is the automatic significantly heavier and stiffer?

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    I'm using the blog with skins. It's pretty light, but also very soft. Is the automatic significantly heavier and stiffer?
    A flacid donky dick would be significantly stiffer. Sorry, couldnt resist. That ski is uber soft.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    The Automatic is going to be a bit heavier because of its extra girth over the blog, but is way stiffer, the Bentchetler is quite a bit stiffer that the blog and the Automatic is stiffer than it.

The Automatic has a titanium backbone, ( a spine shaped piece of metal that is fitted into the core providing stiffness with out adding a entire layer of ti which keeps it light and stiff)
    -s

Sage-3rd on the appreciation for having you around to contribute.

A few of these going to be around for sale this year?

Est weight on the 186?
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

The Automatic is going to be a bit heavier because of its extra girth over the blog, but is way stiffer, the Bentchetler is quite a bit stiffer that the blog and the Automatic is stiffer than it.

The Automatic has a titanium backbone, ( a spine shaped piece of metal that is fitted into the core providing stiffness with out adding a entire layer of ti which keeps it light and stiff)
    -s
    Useful, thanks! Can't wait to see them at ispo if not before

here are some decent odds to win the ski, if you want a scary t-shirt: http://shop.tetongravity.com/
    bumps are for poor people

I just received a set of 186's with a set of the Atomic 16 din bindings. I won the TGR second grand prize drawing for the One for the Road movie. It also included a North Face ski outfit. I am going to get them mounted on the team line per Sage's recommendation and should have a review up shortly. I thought the 193's where coming but I think the 186's should ski fine for an old man like me.

I just received a set of 186's with a set of the Atomic 16 din bindings. I won the TGR second grand prize drawing for the One for the Road movie. It also included a North Face ski outfit. I am going to get them mounted on the team line per Sage's recommendation and should have a review up shortly. I thought the 193's where coming but I think the 186's should ski fine for an old man like me.
    Wellllllllllll........I know it's only been a day day buuuutttttt

Impatiently waiting for review.

Yo alaska skier,

I have been skiing on the 86's and have them mounted two cms forward of team line, for me I want a more even swing weight with that size ski so that I can get tricky, for the 93's I will try them on the team line because I am less likely to be jumping and trick'n on the longer size.

so if you haven't mounted them, and like to trick it up, you may want to go a few forward too.

As before I am a" feel "guy, my technique for mounting is this...
    I stand in my skiboots or sneekers, on the ski un-mounted, move my feet around until I like the "look" of how much tip and tail I have, and when I get to a point where I feel good on the skis, I look and see where that puts my boot center, and if its in a realistic range, I mount it there.

not the most orthodox method, but ....

-s

Yo alaska skier,

As before I am a" feel "guy, my technique for mounting is this...
    I stand in my skiboots or sneekers, on the ski un-mounted, move my feet around until I like the "look" of how much tip and tail I have, and when I get to a point where I feel good on the skis, I look and see where that puts my boot center, and if its in a realistic range, I mount it there.

-s
    Ohhhh ye ol' sneakers on the fatties trick eh?

Cats out of the bag!

Pro sponsor here I come!!!

I am old so not many tricks on purpose. I had them mounted on the team line. I should get on them early next week if we get new snow.

Sent from my HERO200 using TGR Forums

Now I feel prooo. Been doing this for years.

Pretty sure I saw a pair of these outside a bar in town yesterday. Looks like more tail rocker than I'd ideally like but I still like the sound of this ski, hopefully I can give them a feel at ISPO. Sage/others: any word on dimensions of the 193?

Quote Originally Posted by BamBam_540 View Post
    Sage/others: any word on dimensions of the 193?
    just got a pair of 193s, side cut is slightly different, 141.5 in the tip and 117 under foot still, forget what the tail is but is pretty close to same dimensions.

Also Note On Mounting:

I have one pair of 186s mounted two cms in front of team, and one pair mounted on "center" line (which is center of side cut not the ski) and just mounted my 193s on the "center" line too . I did this because I want the swing weight to feel more balanced on the big pair, that way it will still feel nimble, and wont feel too huge.

Sage,
    I had Bent Chetlers last year and they were a little to soft for me so this year i saved up and got a pair of 192 atlas's and i totally love them, they charge hard but i have noticed a lack of playfullness... I want to find a ski that is stiff enough underfoot that it will charge hard but also be playful so i can screw around on the pillows and The Automatic sounds like a damn near perfect ski for just that.. Im 6'0" 155 and im not sure if if should go for 193's or 186's.. and i was also wondering how they automatics compare in weight to the atlas's? By the way.. im a huge fan man, even got a poster of you on my wall! haha
    -Ben
    Drop Knees not Bombs.